Gullveig

Ravenclaw House Table

Dusty Piper

A history lesson. It was the only thing the Sorting Hat had given him and that was nothing Dusty couldn't find himself in books. It was a trick Dusty had played occasionally, giving information that filled the silence but didn't offer true relevance to the question; he hadn't expected more from the Sorting Hat, but he had hoped. He didn't know more about the enchanted hat's working than he had before he had put it on.

Release to the mercy of his new House Dusty felt overwhelmed, small and raw and surrounded by more people than he had ever seen. He sat on the table and said nothing; his plate remained polished and unused. He watched an older girl besides him shuffle tarot cards instead, noticed how she would draw one with every name called, wondered what story his card had told; he didn't ask.

Seraphine Faust

Seraphine frowned at the interruption. It wasn’t her intention to be rude, but it wasn’t often she was able to speak other languages with anyone outside of her family. That, in itself, made speaking it even more exciting. Blue eyes fixed on the boy, she considered his question. Had her parents ever told her that? She glanced quickly to her side where her father was eating his dinner and turned back to the boy.

“Probably,” Sera nodded, “But I wasn’t talking to you so does it matter? Unless,” Sera took another sip of her drink, “You want to eavesdrop.” That it was also rude was implied in her tone. “Do you desire to know what we've said?”

Ariel Bellerose

Oh yes, she was one of those people, and Ariel was gratified that his initial surmise about the girl had been correct. It was so irritating when girls like her acted like they were superior about something that, frankly, if she came from a multilingual household, wasn't even an accomplishment.

"Well, that is why it matters. Everyone who doesn't speak a second language has to take their friends aside to have a private conversation, so it's rude for you to just switch languages like that," Ariel explained the same thing that had been told to him by his own mother since he was tiny.

He smiled brightly at her.

"I don't need to know what you said," he said, refraining from adding that it was because he already knew. "Thank you for offering, though."

Seraphine Faust

Seraphine could only wonder if someone had made fun of him in a language he didn’t speak before and maybe that’s why he was so upset. It didn’t immediately occur to her that he might want to be included because there were plenty of people around to talk to. If none of them seemed appealing she didn’t think he would get in trouble for trying his luck at another table. Cornelius Montgomery hadn’t been yelled at. Or maybe he thought her companion was cute and he wanted a chance to talk to her? He only had to say so. She could chat with her father.

“If a person is not involved in a conversation it doesn’t matter if we switch,” Seraphine said plainly, dismissing the boy once he declined her offer.

“Anyway…”, she turned back to the girl, “I’m teaching myself Spanish, and then I think Mermish and Russian? I’m not sure. It gets more difficult when there’s no one that can help me practice.”

Sera is speaking French.

Ariel Bellerose

At her words, Ariel actually turned in his seat to properly frown at Seraphine.

"You are not part French," he stated. "If you said that in France, everyone would shun you."

Not that he really believed she would say something like that in France. The girl was probably not entirely stupid. When she went to France, it was probably with her family, when she would have her mother there to watch her, and like Ariel, she would doubtless watch her mannerisms.

Sofie Clement

Today was literally the best day ever. Sorting, Ravenclaw, and now this! Someone in her house who spoke French too. Her new friend began telling a story that Sofie found fascinating until it began sounding a little too silly to believe. Before she could question it, Seraphine started laughing and explained the real story.

"Ohh, that's wicked! I'm Sofie! And no, I'm not French. I talked my parents into getting me a tutor after we went to Paris for the first time when I was seven." Before she could get any farther, another of her housemates was getting involved and called them rude.

"Um, no. They didn't, actually," she replied. She was being perfectly honest; Sofie's parents hadn't ever told her such a thing. They were big on bragging and already thought their children were better and smarter than everyone else. Having them learn languages was just another thing about the twins that the elder Clements could show off.

Sera had some strong words for him and Sofie rather agreed. If they were having a private conversation, it was no one's business what they were saying. How was that any different than whispering quietly so no one else could understand? She didn't see how it was a problem.

Eying the boy at the table, she hesitantly resumed her conversation with Seraphine. "Mermish? How do we learn that?" She wondered, already deciding that this girl was her new best friend and they were going to do all of those things together. "My brother knows Spanish! He didn't really want to learn French with me, so he skips a lot of those lessons but takes Spanish instead. And Russian? That sounds interesting. I spent most of the summer trying to talk my parents into Italian lessons."

Then the boy was talking again and Sofie was confused. "What do you mean, 'she's not part French'? If her mum's family is from France, they're French?" Wasn't that how ethnicity worked?

Sofie is speaking French.

Edited by Sofie Clement

Ariel Bellerose

Instead of rolling his eyes, Ariel just raised them to the ceiling. Though that was mostly because he'd almost rolled his eyes.

It was thoughts like this, he supposed, that had put him in Ravenclaw instead of Hufflepuff. The hat had said he might have made a good Hufflepuff. Well, he was trying.

"I wasn't being literal," he said to the other girl, who was not quite so rude, since she was not French at all and couldn't be expected to understand.

"It's just that no Frenchwoman with any pride would let her daughter act like that."

Edited by Ariel Bellerose

Schuyler Clement

Sky had never been more happy when his sister came to join him at the Ravenclaw house table. He may have stood up like an idiot and clapped wildly. He didn't care if he was getting weird looks. The Wonder Twins wouldn't separated for the next seven years and that alone was a beautiful thing.

He took his former seat beside Sof until some other girl and man separated them. They seemed nice enough. It wasn't the girl who he assumed was about his age named Seraphine began speaking German that really grabbed his twins attention. He smiled and shook his head as Sofie animatedly talked to the other Ravenclaw. He literally thought she was about to explode when Seraphine spoke French too. He understood a few words here and there from their conversation, but he wasn't fluent like his sister. She taught him things from her lessons because as far as their parents were concerned he was taking those same French lessons too.
"Hi," He smiled while speaking in English when their was a lull in conversation. "I'm Schuyler."

He wasn't as into languages as Sofie was. Like they were cool and all, but Star Wars, comic books, science and math were even cooler according to him. He started daydreaming instead of trying to follow the conversation he attempted to join. He was mid way through thinking up a new plot for the comic he was drawing when someone else entered the conversation his sister and Seraphine were having. He was a bit taken aback by the other Ravenclaw's attitude, but didn't get involved. Sofie could always handle herself and so could Seraphine it seemed. However, he couldn't seem to help himself.

"That wasn't cool." He chimed in. He didn't want to make any enemies, but what the Ravenclaw said wasn't nice.

Ariel Bellerose

And then someone else just had to have his say. Schuyler seemed cool enough, right up until he told Ariel how uncool he supposedly was.

"I wasn't trying to be cool," he told the other boy. "I was trying to be factual."

Seraphine Faust

Seraphine didn’t want to be too hasty, but she liked Sofie already and hoped they would be friends. She wondered if her parents would get her a tutor for all of the languages she wanted to learn and she threw her father a sideways glance, making a mental note to ask him later.

Her plan had been to fully ignore the opinionated boy and it seemed to be going well for now as she and Sofie turned back to their conversation.

“I’m not sure, but I know it’s possible. Albus Dumbledore spoke it and Book of Spells has a Mermish translation. There’s a book by Dylan Marwood that’s all about Merpeople and their customs and it has things about the language too so he speaks it too. I want the book but I’m going to wait until I’m ready to learn and then ask for it for Christmas or my birthday.” She would have babbled on and on and on except they were interrupted again by him. Not Schuyler, who Seraphine greeted in their lull, but the other boy. It was a shame, too. Sera, not realizing that Schuyler was Sofie’s brother, was going to ask if Sofie’s brother went to Hogwarts and if so, did she think he’d be willing to help her with Spanish?

Sera knew then, when Sofie stood up for her, that they were definitely going to be friends and she gave the girl a thankful smile (Schuyler, too! How were these people so nice?). She didn’t need anyone to stand up for her, but it was a nice gesture. Especially since this boy was talking about her mother. Blue eyes narrowed, Seraphine turned to face the boy, ready to tell him exactly what was on her mind.

“My mother doesn’t control how I act so she doesn’t let me do anything. I’m allowed to act independently of my family and the stereotypes that follow my ancestry. If not fitting into the stereotype you have drilled into your opinionated head means she has no pride then good for her.” Technically, her mother was British and it was her grandfather that was French but it was none of his business anyway.

She would have continued her rant and had half a mind to do so, but dinner had come to an end and it was time to head to the common room. Sera turned away from the boy and instead to her father to kiss the older Faust’s cheek. “Goodnight, Papa. See you tomorrow after classes.”

She turned back to Sofie. “Ready to find out where we sleep?”

(Sera, Sofie, Schuyler, and Dusty have left to go on the UnCAWmmon tour. <3)

Sera’s speaking French.

Puck Whitaker

Puck glowered at the mountains of food laid out before her. It had been poisoned last year. No thanks.

In addition to being inundated with first years, this batch had brought a new surprise. Her brother. A Ravenclaw. The hat was going senile. With a sigh she flicked her wand at a pile of business cards referencing her temp tattoo skills, sending them out in a seemingly random dispersal pattern as she stepped over the bench and headed off to pitch her tent.

Let the tiny horrors have their fun far far away from anything she owned. Head boy could handle it.

Panda

Good morning, Ravenclaw! Mail's here!

Panda circled the top of the Great Hall, on the lookout for breakfast treats. Or the recipient of his parcel. Yes, let's go with that. Once he had located his recipient, then he could worry about the delicious bread people fud and the salty meat people fud spread out among the big tables.

Wings flapping double-time to control the descent of his pudgy body, Panda dropped down onto the table in front of his recipient. “Hoot, hoot!” he informed them proudly, and pecked eagerly at the parcel.

[One student may claim receiving a small parcel from home. What's inside? I don't know, I'm an owl! That's up to you.]

Once his talons were empty, Panda could now reward his excellent postal service with some breakfast scraps from the small food-givers. He began to waddle up and down the table, scanning for choice morsels. If a student seemed likely to share their food, he fluttered his wings charmingly and hooted.

[Any student may feed Panda at any time.]

Fern Blackburn

It was about a week into her second year, and Fern wasn't surprised that she hadn't received any post yet. Her mum was terrified of owls and was still warming up to the idea of giving them a chance and her father worked a lot, so it was usually Harvey who sent the parcel to her. He wasn't all bad all the time. And the school owls seemed to taking a liking to him, so maybe that meant he'd be sitting here (okay, maybe not here. He'd be more suited at literally any other house) in a few years.

So when a school owl dropped a package in front of her and nudged it, she was kind of surprised. Last year it took longer than this before she got mail. "Thank you!" she exclaimed, feeding Panda a bit of toast and jam. She knew what would be in here- sweets. A+ for effort from Harvey, he didn't know that Hogwarts had goodies almost as good as the ones from mum's bakery.

Panda

@Fern Blackburn: Congratulations! You have earned 3 Panda Points!

Panda took pride in a job well done, and fluffed up his feathers importantly as his recipient thanked him. "Hoot," he replied proudly, then fluttered his wings in excitement when the sweet fruity people fud appeared. He delicately accepted the tidbit, careful not to nip the food-giver's fingers. Panda tipped his head back to swallow the morsel, hooted sweetly, gave the food-giver's hand a nuzzle, and went about his morning.

River Wolfe

River sat at the house table stuffing his face with food, then again, when wasn't he?  Honestly, the officials in the dueling chamber should really ban him from the snack table as he took almost everything in seconds.

Still it wasn't enough to actually ban him, after all, he does leave a few select snacks that he doesn't like.

Watching as the mail owl came soaring down from the rafters River beamed watching the bird take the food from her hand.  

"WHOA!  @Fern Blackburn you're so cool!"

Alec Barclay

Alec was starving and he couldn't wait to eat. He wished the sorting hat would get on with things and sort the first years faster. None of the first years he had met were sorted into his own house. Genivieve was a Griffindor and Neil turned out in  Hufflepuff. Alec let out a pirate like yell as a first year was finally assigned to Ravenclaw. 

When the feast finally appeared on the table before them, Alec didn't hold back. "The Grub is here!" he yelled and began to pile food on his plate. 

Phoebe Khan

Phoebe told herself she wasn't nervous as she slid from the stool at the front of the hall, and off to the table decked in blue that had been declared hers only seconds ago. She smoothed her skirt, scanning the table for a group of non-threatening first years she could sit by, instead of chancing it with any of the older kids. Eventually she just sat at the end, where the crowds of people looked the thinnest. She wouldn't be able to reach the food as well, but she could hardly eat anyways. Too anxious. Phoebe sat herself down at the end of the table and began to eat, not bothering with her introductions. She could talk to these people for the next 7 years of her life. She wouldn't get a chance at the roast ever again. 

Dane Golden-Keisi

Dane was excited. His aunt was now working at Hogwarts! This meant it was going to be an awesome year. He had brought her a bouquet of flowers which included wildflowers, lilacs, roses, sunflowers, and even some magical varieties. He couldn't wait to give it to her. He waited at the Ravenclaw table for the feast to be over so that he could find Auntie M and give it to her. Her name was announced and he beamed in her direction. "Yay @Professor Addams!"

Fern Blackburn

Fern sat towards the end of Ravenclaw table and found herself scooting down as more and more first years joined the table. She picked at her lilac nail varnish as she awaited the sorting ceremony to end. Did it always take this long? She was starving, and definitely anxious to get some food in her stomach. She picked up a goblet that had some sort of violet-hued beverage in it- perhaps sparking grape juice?- and lifted it to her lips, hoping the drink would subdue her hunger just a bit. The usually chipper witch was feeling awfully hangry and the sooner she got more in her stomach she would be more than happy to introduce herself to the ickles and maybe even show of her new purple color-changing paints, now with added sparkles. Who could resist?

Random Slug

Oh dear... how did he end up here? This didn't look like the beautiful oceanfront property his tiny slug heart dreamed of...

At least it smelled delicious here.

He slid into the hall and basked in the warmth of a spot on a bench someone else had just been occupying.

Now if only he could slug up onto the table and feast on some sweet leafy greens...

Rían O' Donnell

Rían slid his lanky too-big-to-be-11 year old body into a seat between two old students, hoping he'd blend in. 

He admitedly was hungry. But just wanted to blend in and hopefully all this would be over soon. 

Stephanie Eckland

Steph seated herself at the Ravenclaw table, happy to be among her new house mates and thinkers. She wondered how many of the people here might share her love of books and learning. Her own research, and the hat's information had suggested this might be the case. She imagined some of the great debates she could be having with these people. The possibilities stretched out before her as paths to be explored.

She didn't mind the announcement that quidditch was cancelled. Steph already knew that quidditch was a sport played on broomsticks. Well, she wasn't particularly sporting and she wasn't sure she was all that fussed about broomsticks either since they would serve little purpose for her outside of Hogwarts. She had read about the Triwizard Tournament though; it was said to be quite challenging, and also dangerous. She wouldn't want to compete, but she would cheer for the person who was chosen as the Hogwarts champion.

For now though, there was the matter of the feast, and Steph had to admit that she was ready for this. It had been a long train ride, and then non-stop activity since she arrived. Now she piled roast beef, potatoes and vegetables onto her plate, and of course as a girl from York, she had to top it with a Yorkshire pudding and lashings of gravy.

Ezmeralda de la Renta

"I heard Ravenclaws were the smartest!"

She's all smiles as she goes to squish in on the bench. Here was her new house, a new grand adventure awaiting at the tip of her fingers. "If we're the smartest, we know the most stuff, right?" And wasn't knowledge power and all that cliche types of saying. She leaned forward, elbows on table, robes dangling and nearly ending up in the mashed potatoes.

"SoOOOooo we'd know all the secrets about Hogwarts too, right?" Because what was the point in waiting in learning more. Hogwarts: A History was hardly all that she wanted. She didn't even stop to consider how hungry she was. But, perhaps that was from how many sweets she'd consumed on the train.

Edited by Ezmeralda de la Renta

Emmett Blaze

"You heard right," Emmett informed the new runt. These ickles were a particularly scrawny bunch--Emmett doubted he looked anything like that as a muscular eleven-year-old last year. 

"We do know the most stuff," he confirmed. "I, especially, know everything about everything. Ask me anything, peasant."

Xenia Lupu-Haidei

The last time Xenia had spoken to Ezmeralda, she'd been pulling on the other girl's hair for dear life. While she wasn't one to believe that being in the same house all of a sudden meant that they ought to act like they tolerated each other, Xe was willing to come to a truce with the other girl if only she promised to stop saying dumb things.

She was already on strike one and the night wasn't even over yet.

"Why would we automatically know all of Hogwarts' secrets? What sense does that even make?" Then that butt-chin looking dude from a little while earlier said something that Xenia couldn't help but twist her face in disgust at. "You're trying way too hard. It makes you look desperate."

He was desperate, but Xenia didn't know that.

"Ignore him, Ez. He's talking rubbish."

Edited by Xenia Lupu-Haidei

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.