entering the Great Hall for a spot of breakfast when she went

flying to the floor. Grumbling, she stood up and looked down to

see just what it was that made her have one of her famous Klutz

Attacks as she liked to call her accidents. She roled her eyes when

she saw that she had tripped over nothing. That happened often with

her, tripping over nothing.

Sighing to herself, she stood back up and made her way to the

Ravenclaw table and sat down before she hurt herself. Filling her

plate with porridge, she put in some raspberries and started eating.

She had brought a book with her to read, and so she propped it on the

goblet in front of her and started reading it. It was about non-verbal spells

and she realized that she had probably used a version of those spells in

her first year when she was mute. She smiled when she realized that she

would have a bit of an advantage in sixth year when they were to begin

using non-verbal spells.

Edited by Ariella Whelan

Shanian Love-Valentein

It was time to go back to school and study which was something Shanian wasn't looking foreward to doing since she had six classes. Sure she was insane for doing this but back in third year she had such a hard time deciding what to take that she had decided to take everything. This was hard though but Shanian loved all her subjects so much that she put her heart in soul into it so that she would do well on her owls next years. The thought of owls scared her and she tried to think of other things as she went to the great hall.

Going into the great hall and sitting next to her friends, Shanian started to dish up her plate and then started to eat her eggs. While eating she spotted a girl reading a book that looked really interesting. The girl must of been reading ahead since she looked rather to young to be studying a subject like that. Turning to the girl she said,"So have you found anything interesting in that book of yours?

Jenna Rose

Jenna sighed as she enter the Great Hall. She put her hand up to her mouth and yawned. She'd gotten up early this morning to study some before going down to breakfast. So much for wanting to get a head start. She walked up to the Ravenclaw table and sat down next to a girl she didn't know. She smiled perking up a bit.

"Hello. I'm Jenna," she introduced. "Fourth year Ravenclaw," she added just for good measure. It was so nice to be meeting more people. It seemed forever since she'd spoken to anyone at all. She'd pulled back away from everyone and first term she'd hardly done anything. She was going to have to pull everything together to pass this terms classes. "Gosh I feel so worn out for some reason," she said rubbing the back of her neck.

Jenna grabbed a bagel and stuffed it in her mouth while pulling out her potions book. She was going to pass this year whether she wanted to study or not. Personally she use to hate studying but lately it didn't seem so bad. Yet she hadn't been getting much sleep either.

Shanian Love-Valentein

Shanian continued to eat her food when awaiting for the younger girl to reply. Was it her or did it seem as though she didn't know as many people from her own house that she should know by now? Shanian had been here for three in a half years but the only people she really knew well were people that were on the quidditch team. Now that there was no quidditch she was going to have to take this chance to get to know others outside her circle of friends.

Still thinking about this, another girl had come up to them and started to eat a bagel. Shanian didn't know the other girl that well and decided that here was a chance to get to know her a bit. "Nice to know you and I am also a fourth year Ravenclaw. Shanian Love and I feel worn out as well for some reason. Maybe they put something to make you sleepy for over twelve hours in the food we ate last night. So looking foreward to this upcoming term?"

Jenna Rose

"Actually I've been studying alot so It could be that," she said shrugging. She hard dark circles under her eyes but could care less. Right now next years owls were all she cared about at the moment. She thought about the question for a moment. "No not really just more studying up ahead," she said shaking her head. She rubbed her eyes and took another bite out of the bagel. She was tired and sometime she probably would pass out but until that time came she'd just keep studying.

"Oh by the way nice to meet you Shanian," she said attempting to smile. "Its crazy that we're in the same year and everything yet we don't know on another," she said with slight amusement. Jenna pulled her Herbology book out next and opened it up while taking another bite of her bagel.

Shanian Love-Valentein

Shanian could totally identify with that since it seemed since she had returned to Hogwarts this term all she was doing was studying. So there was an advantage to having no quidditch at all and she found herself not complaining about it since she was so busy. That and she was talking to people that she hardly spoke to in the past and getting to know them better. The same thing happened happened two years ago when quidditch was cancelled due to the triwizard tourney.

Though Shanian still felt like it was a waste of time and didn't even bother to show up for all the task that took place. Taking a piece of toast and biting into it Shanian said,"I find it also strange that I really don't know you and this is already our fourth year here. I guess I just stick to my roomates and quidditch buddies but can't do much of that since I have so much studying to do next term. So maybe we could study together sometime since the homework is getting a bit confusing in a few subjects."

Edited by Shanian Rain Love

Jaicob Greenblatt

{closed to someone who knows who they are.}

Jaicob came into the Great Hall with snow in his hair and water dripping from his shoes. He really needed to get some waterproof socks. Magical ones, that is. Too bad first years weren't allowed to go to Hogsmead anymore. He contemplated sneaking out for a moment, then decided that there was no way he could pass himself off as a 3rd year, or even sneak there without getting caught. Maybe he could ask someone else to get the socks for him. Too bad he didn't know any older students he could ask. (The fact that he had mentors completely escaped him.)

He sat alone at the end of the table again. He really needed to make some friends in his own house. Fate had wanted to separate him from the friends he made on the train. Sometimes he wondered why.

Jaicob helped himself to a baked potato, hoping it was still warm. He needed warm food at the moment, and possibly a cup of tea. He didn't even know any charms to dry himself off with, and, as he suddenly shivered at the warm food, he decided to learn one.

The snow in his hair had melted and dripped into his face. He picked up his napkin and wiped the water out of his eyes, and when he could see again, he found that someone had sat down near him. An older boy, obviously in the same house. "Have a potato. They're good tonight." He said. Why shouldn't he? It wasn't like he was going to get his head bitten off. (Because, of course, he wasn't a potato.)

Ian Darko

((well, not closed exactly, since it's an open thread, but we're trying to maintain the idea that were on the end of the table, away from people, so others should... ignore us? Something like that.))

Ian headed into the Great Hall for dinner, his appetite rather ready to go. He was always hungry, as a general rule, and dinner time was no exception. The only problem was that pesky buisness about everyone eating in the same place. If there was one time and one place where he really couldn't hide away in the corner, it was the Great Hall, with its house tables and openness. The best Ian could do was slither as far to the end of the table as possible, avoiding all the happy people ant their happy friends talkign about happy things and not acknowledging that he existed at all. It was the way he liked it.

But today, his sacred place of solitude and general social pariahness was occupied. He stopped for a moment, gaping woefully at the table. Now, there was no place to even attempt to be anti-social. He considered her turning and fleeing, but the rumbling in his stomach stopped him. Oh, woeful misery this was! He had but one recourse; to sit and pretend the boy wasnt there and hope that he too would be ignored.

No such luck. The moment he sat down, without even having to lift his head to make eye contact, the first year - Jake, or something like that as far as Ian remembered - spoke to him. He looked up sharply, staring at the boy suspiciously, but takign a potatoe. For the moment, he said nothing, but proceeded to butter the potatoe to his liking (lots of butter) and add on heaping amounts of sour cream.

"Er, thanks," he mumbled, still looking at the boy like his entire head was a gigantic pimple. What was this boy doing in his spot, talking to him like Ian was a normal person? No one did that. And then another thought struck him; perhaps he'd been down there for so long that the rest of his house had completely forgotten him. The thought made him irritable.

"What are you doing down here, anyway?" he grunted, taking a swing of pumpkin juice. "Shouldn't you be over there, hanign out with all your little friends?"

Erin Miakoda

"Hullo, Shan," Erin greeted her (grrr-former) team-mate groggily, hardly noticing the other students collected nearby. She wasn't a morning person. Sure she was wide awake for 5:30 a.m. practices, but then she both had Quidditch to get her revved up and a chill air. As it was right now, she could barely open her eyes and could think of little more than eating.

Unfortunately, she wouldn't be able to go back to bed right away because she had classes. Oh sure, they could cancel Quidditch and all the clubs, but not classes. Of course, this all made sense to Erin, and she really did enjoy her classes, but at the moment she was bitter and tired - not a remotely decent combination.

Upon finishing some eggs and toast, she checked her schedule... "Herbology, potions... astronomy..."

At least it looked like an easy term.

With thoughts coming to her a little more easily now, she addressed Shanian again. "Hey Shan - I've been asking around - what electives do you think I should take next year?"

Shanian Love-Valentein

It was then that Shanian noticed two people at the end of the table talking to each other in what sounded like an intense conversation. She noticed it was her friend Ian and a younger boy she really didn't know to well. Thinking that they wanted to be left alone, Shanian shrugged her shoulders and continued eating and talking.

Then she noticed Erin had approached the table and looked rather worn out. Shanian then thought about quidditch and how some of her teamates were taking the loss of the sport more well then others. She even heard that one of her teamates had thrown a fit on the floor of the commomroom because of what had happened. Shanian didn't really want to talk about quidditch though and turned her attention to Erin.

Shanian smiled at Erin and said,"Well it depends on what you are interested in taking. My favorite classes though are Care of Magical Creatures where you learn about animals and Muggle Studies. Arithmancy and Runes class are hard though and I wish there wasn't so much homework in those classes. Divination is just plain rubbish at least it is to me. So what are you planning on becoming once you graduate from Hogwarts?"

Erin Miakoda

Erin listened to Shan's opinions carefully, though the thought of taking Muggle Studies was somewhat repulsive to her. She wasn't opposed to hard work - especially if she still didn't have Quidditch, so Arithmancy and Ancient Runes didn't sound too bad. And if she remembered correctly, Brenna had highly recommended Care of Magical Creatures as well.

"Well, I haven't thought a lot about it," she answered, "The only thing I have considered is Quidditch, but that's a thought that has to be put on hold until..." She hadn't been able to bring herself to say if, and then her statement trailed off.

"I don't think I'll be taking Muggle Studies, though, as I've grown up with them and doubt I could learn much of interest. I heard you learn to ride a bike and cook and do dishes - but I've been doing all that stuff for years!"

She wondered whether the school would teach a subject like divination if it was indeed just rubbish, but she didn't say anything about that. It was a topic that interested her, but she wasn't sure if she would take it seriously or not. Perhaps she'd start off with it just for fun and drop it if it got too annoying?

Shanian Love-Valentein

It was then that Shanian started to think about what she wanted to become when graduating from school. It seemed like a long time away to her but now that she was halfway threw her education she was starting to panick just a little especially with OWLS around the corner. When first coming to Hogwarts she wanted to become a teacher of DADA or Potions but lately she wasn't quite sure if thats what she wanted or not.

Then Erin started to talk about quidditch which is a subject that Shanina tended to avoid since the announcement had been made that the cup was cancelled. "Oh sorry I didn't really know you had grown up as a muggle. Guess I better get to know some of my teamates better and spend less time behind the books.

Shanian was all embarrassed about this and then took some sausages and started to dish them up onto her plate. "Whatever you choose just make sure you like the subjects since its bad enough in third year you start getting loads of homework. " As an afterthought she asked,"How was your holidays Erin?"

Jaicob Greenblatt

((Yes, sorry. That's what I meant.))

The boy stared at Jaicob for a moment and helped himself to a potato. Jaicob stared back, and tried to remember if he had seen the boy around the castle. Before he could think of any time in particular, the older Ravenclaw spoke. He asked the question gruffly, and Jaicob was beginning to think that he wasn't too friendly. Nevertheless, Jaicob had an answer or two.

"Two reasons." Jaicob stated simply. "One, most of my friends are in other houses, and two, I need to finish a book and I don't trust other people not to spill something on it." With that, he took a book out of his backpack. It had a muggle library stamp on the back, and a clear plastic jacket. It was actually due back at the library in a few days, and Jaicob figured if he finished it and owled it home that night before the new curfew, his parents could get it back to the library before it was due. He had had to argue to bring it in the first place, with the promise that he'd finish it on the train and owl it home. Oops.

"You're not a messy eater, are you?" Jaicob looked at the copious amount of condiments ((sorry. couldn't resist)) on the older boy's potato warily. Butter left bad stains, and Jaicob didn't know about sauerkraut. He had never even tried it, let alone spilled it on any kind of a paper, whether it was a book, homework, or music he had been trying to learn at the last minute.

'Three cheers for silverware' Jaicob thought to himself as he opened the book with clean fingers. Jaicob was usually pretty messy when he ate. Or did anything outside. Or tried to write with a quill. Why bother keeping your hands clean when you don't have a good reason? Of course, keeping a book clean is a very good reason.

Erin Miakoda

Making sure she was interested in whatever subjects she took sounded like a very good idea to Erin. She decided she'd spend a bit of time in the library researching each of the subjects before making up her mind on what to take.

"It's no big deal," she responded as Shanian apologized for not knowing Erin was muggle born. "I don't just tell everyone the moment I meet them, though I'm a bit surprised it's not obvious to everyone. I couldn't write with a quill all last year! I even took roses to one of my Herbology classes for an assignment to bring in magical plants. I had no clue! But then, I learned quickly about Quidditch and flying, so I suppose it wouldn't be obvious to everyone."

She took a breath, realizing she'd ranted a bit. "Oh, my holidays were lovely. It's about the only time I really like my family! We actually get along for Christmas and we play games and eat delicious food - though we have to clean up after ourselves. I always get stuck with the dishes. But I didn't mind too much. It was awful when I read about what happened here, though. I'm glad the whole school wasn't destroyed." Though in truth, Erin thought it would have been much better if some part of the school had been razed rather than the Quidditch pitch.

Shanian Love-Valentein

Shanians thoughts were brought back to her holidays and how fun they seemed and how she wished they would never end. It was so much fun hanging out with her younger sister Kiara who was going to a different magic school. It was to bad that she had to come back here and find out some disappointing news and to be away from her family yet again.

"I just thought you had always grown up in a wizarding family. As a matter of fact I grew up as a muggle even though I am from a wizarding family. It was a lot of fun and not sure which of those worlds I prefer better. As you well know there are great advantages to living in both worlds so I would rather keep it this way."

Pausing for a few moments, Shanian started to drink a bit more of her pumpkin juice. "It is a relief that the whole school wasn't destroyed. Hopefully they can bring everything back to normal by the time school starts up next fall. So until then do you think we should still practice as a team just in case quidditch comes back?"

Friedrich Ackerman

Morning came too soon for Friedrich as he'd had a bit of unrestlessness with the mutterings and common room socializing going on well into the night. But he decided it would probably be worth getting up and visiting the bathroom to start his day before everyone else did. That, and if he went to breakfast a bit early, then he could spare himself the continuation of the previous night's discussions. Thinking about it, Friedrich walked quietly over to the window facing towards the west. Sure enough, the collapsed and devasted pitch could be seen just to the right edge of the window. "Hmm." he murmored seeing nothing recognizeable except the outline oval of where things had been. "Students will be going to have a look today. Then the bloody complaining will really start." Friedrich thought and decided that he should get off to breakfast early while he could if he wanted to have a quiet morning.

Twenty or so minutes later, his head still damp from taking a shower, Friedrich dropped his shoulder back pushing it under the bench at the Ravenclaw Table with his foot, and then sat down away from the few house mates who had already arrived. To Friedrich especially after a feast, breakfast never seemed to be overly exciting as he helped himself to some scrambled eggs and four sausages as well as some toast still warm from the kitchens. Then, mostly out of habit, he poured himself a large mug of tea with a spot of cream and sugar, and set himself to enjoying the relative peace of the Great Hall before being off to climbing up the tower to go to Astronomy. But for now, Friedrich sipped at his tea and looked around to see who was about.

Erin Miakoda

Erin was rather surprised to hear that Shanian had grown up like muggles. It was enough to make her look around the entire Great Hall and wonder if she were really as different as she thought herself from all the rest of the students. As she looked around, she caught site of a boy in her year taking a seat at their table, and she smiled and waved to him. She was actually doing a remarkably good job of meeting and getting to know her fellow students in the short time she'd been back at school. She'd never admit it, but the loss of quidditch did remarkable things for her social skills.

"I definitely like having the best of both worlds in my life. There are so many fascinating things in the wizarding realm, and there are so many things I take for granted that a lot of people here have never heard of."

Shanian then turned to the Taboo Topic of quidditch, which had certainly not left either of their minds for one moment. "Oh we should definitely practice!" Erin answered eagerly. "No sense in losing our touch. There's been a bit of talk amongst the teams, too, of trying to raise funds to help restore it. This whole thing might make history twice - first for the battle, second for getting all four house quidditch teams at Hogwarts to work together for something!"

Shanian Love-Valentein

Shanian was starting to wonder whether or not it was a good idea to bring up the subject of quidditch around one of her fellow teamates. It was to late now and to her relief, Erin seemed to be more the eager to talk about the subject. She spoke about some of the team members wanting to make a way to get the funds so that quidditch would return to the school. Being eager about all this Shanian said,"Oh raising the money to get quidditch back does sound like a rather good idea. They do things like that in the muggle world at schools to raise money for supplies."

Then thinking about the four teams working together Shanian wondered outloud,"Do you think all four teams could work together even though some of us don't really get along to well? Though something like this could pull us all together. So any ideas on how to raise the money to get all our supplies? "

Erin Miakoda

Now that she was a bit more energized, Erin decided to help herself to a bit more food. It was almost time for class, but she could cram in a bit more - as well as a touch more conversation. The food in her mouth made it a bit difficult to answer Shan's questions, but after the first few words she swallowed and was fine.

"I djoo thenk 'e cou' all get along... for the duration of the cause anyway. I mean, once quidditch is back there just isn't much hope." She took another bite and finished it before going on.

"Well, someone thought of making a calendar to sell, though I don't think that would do particularly well. I'm rather fond of playing a fundraising game, which someone suggested we do right in front of the Ministry to get their attention!" She giggled a little, thinking what it would be like if they decided to play on the streets there. It would get the Ministry's attention, of course, but they would probably all be expelled as well!

"Personally, I think we could have a sort of carnival... get some of the students and professors to volunteer. I'm not sure anyone could pass on throwing a pie at Professor Brighton's face for 2 galleons!"

Shanian Love-Valentein

Shanian was starting to get excited about this since well maybe the quidditch pitch getting destroyed would turn out to be a good thing as sad as this sounded. For one she would get to know people from other teams better and would think of them more as aquintences more the enemies. Okay so she never thought of them as enemies in the first place and was always wondering just how she could make friends with them. After all they all had a passion for quidditch and that was at least one thing that she could base some of those friendships on.

Checking her watch, Shanian noticed that it would be time for class soon but she was having to much fun talking to Erin. Deciding that she would eat a little bit more toast before she went to Potions, Shanian bit into the toast and said,"Mmm nothing like a bit of toast with jam this early in the morning."

After savoring its taste for a few moments,"You know a carnival does sound like a rather good idea to me. We could have people sign up for booths. I wouldn't mind throwing a pie at some of the fellow students as well. So do you think we should bring this idea up to our head of house?"

Erin Miakoda

Erin considered for a moment. McAmis would definitely be a big help if she teamed up with them to bring Quidditch back, but she wondered if they should have a more solid gameplan before talking to any professors about it. The meeting that some of the other teams were talking about seemed more of a good idea to her now than it even had at the time.

"I dunno. Maybe not just yet? I mean, there was talk of trying to have a meeting... you know, get ideas and stuff? I think we should see how that goes. We'd be better prepared to get professors to help us if we have any clue as to what we want to do first."

She took one last bite of food and realized, all too sadly, that she was running a bit late. "Ack - I gotta run, Shan. We can talk more after class... see ya!"

As she grabbed her books, and quite literally began to run to class, she waved again at the boy from her class, determined to corner him later. She was having quite a run of luck with getting to know her classmates - he might as well be one of her targets!

Ian Darko

Ian narrowed his eyes at the boy encroaching on his usually solitudinous place. His reasons weren't that good - Ian didn't like to share. He did have an idea though that might make the boy think twice before sitting near him again.

"Messy?" he repeated, his lip curling in a sort of snarl. He picked up a bit of potatoe with his fork - larger than he could fit into his mouth, and purposely dropped a sour creamy bit onto the table. "Opps?" he said, smiling innocently.

Shanian Love-Valentein
A meeting really sounded good to Shanian so this way she would know who was interested and they can plan on how to go about making money. Erin seemed in a hurry though and Shanian looking down at her watch noticed that she had to be in class as well. Nodding to Erin she said,"See you later then." Shanian then took off herself to her first class of the day.

Kelly Caeruleus

Fresh from DADA, Kelly arrived at the Ravenclaw table no better off than she had been before her lesson. Apparently, now that OWLs were over, they had all the time in the world to practice spelling techniques. Like the rest of the term. Well, Kelly was going to get a headstart on the rest of them. DADA was the only class that she had this term, and there was no way that she wasn't going to get an O.

Taking an apple from the bowl in the middle of the table, Kelly pointed her wand at it, concentrated really really hard, and thought "Wingardium Leviosa." A few minutes of intense concentration went by with no avail. Kelly had learned that spell in first year charms, one would think that she'd be able to be able to levitate a stupid piece of fruit without saying the spell by now.

Trying once again, she pointed her wand at the apple and stared at it.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.