Sign in to follow this  
Naima St. James

The Ballad Of Lord Horatio

Naima St. James

Naima didn’t so much look forward to her birthday this year, just as she didn’t the year before that. For some reason, there was something Naima missed about being home surrounded by her family whom would all pay attention to her. Here at Hogwarts, she wasn’t even sure if anyone even knew it was her birthday. And quite honestly, that was fine with her; it was quite another thing when your family made a big deal about your birthday.

One thing Naima did know of was another birthday girl that happened to be running around the Great Hall. Since it was earlier in the morning, Naima was pretty much alone at the Ravenclaw table, and therefore saw no reason she shouldn’t flag the other girl down. “Liz!” she called out, and waved the girl to sit down with her. Nothing wrong with a little house-mixing, was there?

“I happen to know for a fact,’ she started as Liz made her way over and sat down, “that your birthday was a couple of days ago. And-“ she dug into her trusty messenger bag “-I got you this.” She produced a medium sized heavy square parcel and handed it to the girl. Naima had learned somewhere previously that Liz’s birthday was two days before hers and while she was on a shopping trip in Diagon Alley, stopped by the bookstore to pick of a book called Dazzling Dueling Spells. “I hope you like it,” Naima said, smiling, and handed the heavy object over. The book had just screamed Liz, and since her mum worked with the bookstore, she got a small discount. Not that Naima could ever put a price on friendship. Awww.

The food in front of her was driving her crazy so Naima decided to dig in while Liz unwrapped her present. She spoonful of oatmeal was just inches from her open mouth when Naima felt a large shadow engulf her vision. The spoon still halfway to her mouth, Naima happened to glance up just in time to see a pretty white bird drop what looked like a rather large package. Quickly shoving the spoon into her mouth to keep herself from screaming, Naima shoved her chair back from the table so that as the package landed, she would try to avoid most of the food that splattered. Scrunching up in her chair and glancing around to see if anyone had witnessed the splattering of Naima’s perfect oatmeal, Naima’s attention was caught as two letters followed the package and landed neatly on top. She pulled the spoon from her mouth, glanced over at Liz, and picked them both up, scanning the fronts.

“Oh no,” she whispered, and fell back against her chair. “It’s from the twins.”

Elizabeth Gardner-Golden

{OOC: love the color of the font}

Elizabeth's birthday had come and gone two days before. She hadn't expected anything, but still it hadn't felt like her birthday. At least she was finally 13. She sighed happily. It was an age that she had just been dying to be. Even though your teenage years are some of the most hardest to deal with it didn't matter one bit. At least not to Elizabeth.

She entered the Great Hall, and was about to sit down at the Slytherin table when she heard Naima call her name. Now Elizabeth knew that Naima's birthday was today and while she had gotten her friend a gift, it was still stashed up in the common room. It was a new skating hat and scarf along with a mug from that cafe that they had gone to while on vacation in France.

But Elizabeth had been planning to give it to Naima later in the day. Just not right now. And besides what on earth would her fellow Slytherins think of her sitting at the Ravenclaw table? It just seemed rather odd, even though she had been debating it previously. She just never got around to it. She looked nervously at the Slytherin table and her roommates. But then she turned her head and sat down next to Naima.

Besides she was much closer to Naima then any of her Slytherin friends. Probably due to their strong love for dueling. Elizabeth was addicted. Dueling was almost like a drug for her. Almost. Not quite however. She didn't think she was that addicted to where she absolutely needed it at all costs. Or maybe she was. She couldn't honestly tell.

But Elizabeth was very, very surprised when Naima told her that she had gotten her a gift. "You did?" Elizabeth asked surprised. "You didn't have to." She took the heavy parcel and laid it on the table. No way she was carrying that around. She looked around nervously. "Er, I got you something for your birthday as well, only I left it in the common room." But Elizabeth didn't want to go back and get it. At least not yet. Not until she opened up her gift first.

Yes, Elizabeth was greedy and selfish like that. Elizabeth was unwrapping her present very slowly not wanting to rip the wrapping paper. She was rather absorbed by that until Naima fell back against her chair and said it was from the twins.

"What's wrong?" Elizabeth asked, her half wrapped gift sitting on the table. Elizabeth could tell it was a book, but not the title.

Edited by Elizabeth Gardner

Naima St. James

( :( I just broke the band I got at the Half Blood Prince midnight party)

Naima smiled at Liz. ‘Of course I didn’t have to, but people usually buy their friends gifts for their birthdays, yes? I’m just sorry I didn’t see you two days ago to wish you a happy one.” Truth be told, Naima was feeling a bit under the weather and had spent the day holed up in the Hospital Wing.

“It’s bad…” Naima started, and sighed. Maybe it’d be better to just show her? Merlin only knew what those kids would come up with, and Naima thanked every great magician who had ever walked the earth every day that they still weren’t at Hogwarts. She thought about opening the package first, but instead turned to the envelopes. The first was from Dylan:

Deerist Nimatoad,

Happ Birthday to you. Happy Birthday to you. You luk like a skunk and you smell like one two

Mum said we had to send you somtheeng, so here it is. His name is Lord Horatio and Devan and I found him at a swap meet for too dollars. We got a free cookie and a juice box becuz ov it. Neat, huh? Yeah, well, here it is. Have fun.

Rules for taking care of Lord Horatio:

1. He likes to be walked everee day

2. Feed him. He is fond ov rice and trash

-Frume Dylan

Naima finished reading the letter out loud and arched an eyebrow. “Lord Horatio?” she inquired out loud, and threw the letter on the table. “Dylan like’s to anger me, I’m sure its just some stuffed animal or something. Devan’s more my type of brother.” But oooh no, how Naima was wrong.

Nimatoad,

I love this skunk. You should two because it came frum mines and Dylan's heart. Well, no. It came frum down the street but the cookies and jooce we got went two our tummies! Mummy said that it was yur birfday so we got you Lord Horatio. He is potee trained but you still have to cudle him. I sawed Dylan gave you rules. I have some tu.

More Rules for taking care of Lord Horatio:

1. The trash has to be hand picked daylee and fresh.

2. No baths. He will melt.

3. He is afriad ov the dark. So you have to read him a bed time story and tuck him in next to you.

4. He does not lyke being alone. Take him every ware with you.

-Luve Devan

Cripes.

“I’m suddenly very scared to open this box,” Naima whispered, then wrinkled her nose. “And what is that smell?” Deciding to be the courageous newly appointed thirteen-year-old that she was, Naima slowly unwrapped the plain brown wrap and opened up the white box.

It reeked. And inside, sure enough, was what looked like a stuffed skunk, complete with the smell. And it’s feet were attached to wheels. And it smelled. "You must be Lord Horatio," she told the thing, but quickly closed her mouth. It wasn't TOO bad of a smell, but it was enough for Naima to be bugged severely. Her first thought was to wash the thing, and she scrunched up her face in disgust and looked over at Liz. “Did I mention their soul purpose in life is to have me dead before I leave this place? Though honestly, I'm not sure if they're shooting for this year or my seventh!”

(I cannot wait for Dylan and Devan to get sorted, we’re going to have a freaking BLAST)

Edited by Naima St. James

Elizabeth Gardner-Golden

{OOC: trying out different colors...and fonts : P....aww, that sucks....I still have mine... }

"I suppose they do," Elizabeth said grinning. "And it's okay that you're late. I have...." she started to tell Naima that she had gotten her a gift as well.

It was all wrapped up with cellophane. She had even added in some candy to the package as well. But then Naima said something was bad and presumably the gift and Elizabeth never finished her statement. At least not for the moment anyways. But she would soon. She hoped so, at any rate.

"What do you mean bad?" Elizabeth said glancing over, trying to peek. But Naima opened the letters first and not the packages. Elizabeth was very curious as to what the letters said, so when Naima was done with the first one, Elizabeth picked it up quickly, before Naima could protest and began to read it her facial expressions turning more and more grossed out as she read. She read the letter aloud.

"You look like a skunk and you smell like one too?" She said aloud highly confused. And they had found him at a swap meet? It was all very interesting.

She quickly put the letter back. It could be just a joke after all. But something smelled....awful. She really hoped that it wasn't a real skunk. Poor Naima. Her twin brothers were worse then Joe was and that was saying something as Liz thought Joe was pretty bad. Guess she had something to be thankful for after all.

"Don't tell me they got you an actual skunk," Elizabeth said. And the Naima opened the package.

It wasn't quite a REAL skunk as it was stuffed, but it smelt just as bad. Elizabeth wondered if the whole Great Hall could smell it. Probably. And soon they'd probably all be over here like flies to the honey. Typical. People always wanted to go where the action was.

"Eww!" Elizabeth cried. "That is so gross. You should really kill your brothers." She added smirking. "Don't worry, I got you something much better." Elizabeth said. "I think it is their purpose," she agreed. "It certainly is my cousin's Joe," Elizabeth added grinning. "Ooh! That smells horrible!" she shrieked. It was worse then their disaster in Potions the other day where they had both thrown up.

"At least they didn't give you a deflated mouse..." Elizabeth trailed off weakly.

Janus Sparhawk

(meh, this might be short, but you'll get one. :) )

Janus was making his way down to the Great Hall. Man was he starving. The wonderful scent of the breakfast food was already wafting it's way out of the doors and down the corridors to the staircases. He wasn't sure if that was a natural occurence due to the air flow in the castle or of the elves did some sort of magical trick so as to ensure that most students got their meals in a prompt fashion, but whatever the reason it sure did the trick. Here he was following the scent like a hound dog, and it was bordering on triggering a pavlovian response as well. Thankfully Janus managed to not drool all over his chin though...that would have looked bad.

Mail call was in session as Janus strode through the doors and as he was passing the end of the Ravenclaw Table he saw Elizabeth sitting and talking with Naima. Janus was going to just wave to the two of them, but then when her package splattered down into her oatmeal he redirected his path to see if he might be of any assistance. What a mess, though at least she'd managed to see the impending disaster early enough and appeared to have avoided the worst of it on herself.

"Hey you two...is today messy mail day?" Janus asked. It had taken a minute or so to wend his way through people and get to where they were sitting at the Ravenclaw table. Question over, Janus took another deep breath...if he was going to be delayed in eating his own meal, the least he could do was enjoy the smell of it...sort of like pseudo-eating if you will.

Unfortunately it was a major mistake. "Geez! What the heck happened to the nice food smells that I was getting earlier?!" Only then did he notice that Naima had opened the package and there was something skunk-like in it. "Is that thing real?"

Naima St. James

(Muse? Where?! *searches*)

“God, I hope not.”

However even as Naima answered Liz, she know that deep down it was, in fact, an actual skunk. Gross.

“I don’t know if it’s real or not,” Naima drawled slowly as she continued to stare at the black and white pile of… gross smelling yuck ness. “But it sure smells real, and I am definitely no longer hungry.” She looked around her. Could anyone else smell this?? She glanced towards Liz and gave her a small smile when she mentioned that she had gotten Naima something much better, but her attention quickly turned back to the skunk.

“I cannot believe this,” she muttered, glancing over the letters again. She held one idly in the air as she stared, once again, down at the box. Man, did it smell. She really hoped others couldn’t smell it too.

Obviousl not though, that would have been too nice. “Sorrry Janus,” she said, wincing as the Head Boy commented on her ‘present.’ “It’s not like I wanted it or anything.” And in truth, she had been mulling the idea over and over in her head; she could just… throw it away. And none would be the wiser…

But no, the twins would be sure to know, tell their mum, and then Naima would be the one that got yelled at, even though it was the boys who sent her a skunk. That smelled. Horridly. For a second Naima wondered what it would have been like to have a parent that actually understood and listened. Wasn’t it normal to throw things away that smelled? Yes, but her mum’d never see it that way.

“Maybe I’ll give it a bath. You think that’d take the smell away? Ugh, it makes me want to gag.”

Elizabeth Gardner-Golden

Just as soon as Elizabeth was recovering from the smell of the fake/real skunk, Elizabeth didn't know which yet, Mr. Headboy Janus came over and asked if it was messy mail day. It was more like smelly mail day...

"More like smelly mail day," Elizabeth said laughing as she watched Janus's reaction to the smell of the skunk. How awful. Then he asked if it was real. Elizabeth shrugged. Apparently Naima didn't know either. And Elizabeth didn't want to find out. If they prod it and it woke up, then they all might have a real problem. Probably cause the entire Great Hall to go into a mad rush out of the door.

But she had to laugh as Naima wanted to give it a bath. "Perhaps," Elizabeth said. "But then again, perhaps it won't. Besides what if it is real?" Elizabeth shuddered at the thought. "Your brothers wouldn't give you a real skunk would they?" Elizabeth asked.

But maybe they would. Elizabeth knew that Joe wouldn't be that mean to her, but she had never met Naima's brothers and so she had no idea what kind of terrors they were. Elizabeth grinned as a sudden thought struck her.

"Maybe we could give it to my cousin Joe," Elizabeth said. "As like a prank. He's mean to me. He deserves a skunk." She grinned. It would be perfect. Of course Joe would also be super mad at her...

Janus Sparhawk

"You didn't want a skunk for a gift?" Janus asked in an amazed tone of voice. "Geez...I thought everybody wanted one!."

He laughed, then winced and held his nose once more...bad idea...laughing made you inhale even harder and man...this skunk was STINKY!

Naima wondered if bathing it would help. "I've heard tomato juice works on skunk smells...but it wouldn't keep him from spraying anything again. Maybe somebody can remove his scent glands or something. Oooh...or maybe Professor McAmis knows a charm that would help...go ask her!"

Then there was Elizabeth's option...giving it to her cousin. "Or that...I sure wouldn't keep it. Or is that just a stuffed skunk? Then the bath thing might work..." Who knew...Janus hadn't seen the thing move, but then maybe it was freaked out to find itself somewhere strange.

(meh...that sucked. lol)

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.