Leona Natalya Millegan

A Long, Long, Very Long Train Ride

Leona Natalya Millegan

Leona stood on the platform, trunk sitting next to her, and waited for the Hogwarts Express to arrive. Her parents were waiting with her and there were many other young children and parents waiting on the platform too. Leona assumed that the other young children were also going to attend Hogwarts as first year students, but she couldn't be sure. Maybe they were just there to see their older siblings off for another year.

After what seemed like hours, Leona heard a whistle and saw a red object approach. It was the Hogwarts Express! Leona had never seen the train up close, or at all, before. Soon, the train came to a stop and let all of its passengers off, then all of the waiting passengers could board. Leona watched as people flowed from the train, seemingly endless streams of people. She had no idea how that many people could fit on the train at once. It seemed like way too many people for what seemed like such a small train.

Soon, the conductor announced that it was time for everyone heading to Hogwarts to board the train. Leona said goodbye to her parents and attempted to pick up her trunk in order to haul it on board, but found her trunk too heavy to lift. Her father chuckled a bit and pulled out his wand.

"Let me help you, honey." He pointed his wand at the trunk, moved his wand, and uttered an incantation. "Wingardium Leviosa!" Her trunk began levitating in the air and she watched in awe as her father moved her trunk almost effortlessly. Her mother had told her he was a Ravenclaw wizard, which meant he must be brilliant, but Leona was only now witnessing her father's brilliance first hand. Chase moved the trunk on board and put it in the overhead of an empty compartment. Leona followed her father to the compartment where he'd put her trunk up and sat down on the bench. Her father kissed her forehead and left after saying his goodbyes. After her father left, she walked to the overhead and grabbed her trunk to where she could open it enough to get something out of it. She grabbed a book and sat back down in her seat. It was nice to be alone in the otherwise empty compartment. Leona cracked open her book and began reading from where she'd left off.

Edited by Leona Natalya Millegan

Lee Jung-Hwa

He's back again...

A young Korean boy, slightly taller than he was just a year ago was making his way through the crowded King Cross Station. The path had gotten familiar with the usual crowd of questionably terrible fashion trolls. At least he knew who to look out for in the event he ever got lost. However, the sight for sore eyes were left ignored. Muggles awaiting for their train were kept occupied by their smartphones. All their senses and perhaps their soul were affixed to the little technology on their hand that he doubted if they would even notice if an actual troll were to waltz past them.

The young child took in the interesting sight of muggle revolution before casually walking through the pillar which separates the two world. White hot steam of the train and the loud chattering of people in terrible muggle fashion greeted him. Platform 9 ¾ was crowded as it was last year and just as the year before, he was left by himself again. All around him were families fussing over their children, leaving him feeling envious and frustrated at the treatment he received from his own family. How would he know that he did be the only weird one in his family. Couldn't they just spare him a little ounce of love for their firstborn that they were once so proud off.

He turned to look at the station's clock to find himself right on time. With no family to see him off and not wanting to be drowned in the overbearing feeling of loneliness and abandonment, he pushed and pulled his way through the crowd while muttering a monotonous string of apologies for any unfortunate foot to get rolled upon. The twelve year old settled his own luggage and boarded the train, wanting to seek a little peace from all the noise. Everyone was extremely noisy to the extend that every conversation had to be done by shouting. The sooner he found a compartment, the better for his ears.  

"May I join you?" 

There was only a young girl with a book in the compartment. At first glance, she seem like the kind of company that wouldn't be unnecessarily loud. 

"Or is this compartment taken?"

Leona Natalya Millegan

As she was reading her book, Leona heard the door to the compartment open. She assumed it was just someone looking for a friend and couldn't find them, but when she looked up, she noticed a boy standing there. He looked like he was around her age. He asked her if he could join her in the compartment, then asked if the compartment was taken.

"I'm the only one in this compartment, so if you'd like to sit here, you can. What's your name? I'm Leona Millegan. When we arrive at Hogwarts, I'll be starting my first year."

She made a small gesture to any one of the empty seats left in the compartment so the boy could take a seat and relax on the train ride to the school.

Lee Jung-Hwa

"I'm the only one in this compartment, so if you'd like to sit here, you can."

He flashed her a quick smile, "Thanks." He immediately claimed the seat opposite the young girl and made himself at home. As soon as the compartment door closed behind him, the noise drown out to a bare muffle. Judging from what she said, the young girl wasn't waiting for anyone so it meant the compartment will be relatively peaceful throughout the entire ride.  

"What's your name? I'm Leona Millegan. When we arrive at Hogwarts, I'll be starting my first year."

Before he had completely settle in, the girl had started introducing herself out of common courtesy and perhaps also from the usual eagerness of a first year to make friends. Was he like that last year? Counting the number of friends he could call 'friends' in his mind, he doubted he was like that. Perhaps that is why the hat placed him under Ravenclaw. 

"Lee Jung-Hwa." Straight to the point but he maintained his smile so as not to appear unintentionally cold. "I'm a second year Ravenclaw." 

Leona Natalya Millegan

Leona noticed the boy had now sat down in the seat opposite hers. It seemed like it would just be the two of them, so it would be quiet. Like her, the boy didn't seem to talk much, but Leona didn't mind. She loved the quiet since it gave her more time to spend with her books. As she had invited the boy to sit with her, she thought she should at least be polite and introduce herself the way her parents taught her. They'd have a fit if they found out their only daughter was impolite to someone.

The boy introduced himself as Lee Jung-Hwa, a second year Ravenclaw. That meant he was one of her seniors. He was smiling, but he seemed very calm otherwise, something else that reminded her of herself.

"My parents told me a little bit about Hogwarts, since they attended, but not much. Is there anything I can expect other than the typical first year orientation?"

Lee Jung-Hwa

"My parents told me a little bit about Hogwarts, since they attended, but not much. Is there anything I can expect other than the typical first year orientation?"

A good question. 

Jung Hwa had not anyone to refer to nor someone to forward this question to. Afterall the kid was the only known wizard in his family and being out of the ordinary, he was immediately treated as the black sheep of the family. Some refer him as a spawn of satan and some thought his mother had an affair but mostly they were convinced with the former reasoning. It sounded more logical and easier to cast the blame on. Due to this, he was sent away to the black sheep of the previous generation; his uncle. However, he's just a muggle... an eccentric muggle. At least Jung Hwa wasn't completely abandon.

"First year is relatively relaxing so you shouldn't be having a hard time in terms of studies." He paused to think of anything else. "And try not to freak out during the sorting. Everyone will be there." More like try not to stand out too much for the wrong reason because everyone is there. The unintentional spotlight may be a good or bad thing. 

Leona Natalya Millegan

She listened as her question was answered by her upperclassman. She figured that if anyone would have an answer about what to expect, it would be someone who'd already experienced it for him or herself. Relaxed didn't always equal easy, so Leona would just have to wait and see which teachers she had for her classes. She wouldn't complain if her classes were difficult, but she hoped that relaxed equaled easy.

There was a short pause in the conversation, as if someone was either trying to remember something he or she forgot to say or if he or she was ending their part of the conversation to let the other person talk. It was the former. The conversation picked up again and her traveling companion told her not to freak out during the sorting, as everyone would be there. She was shy, by nature, so the prospect of a crowd was a bit unsettling, but she also wasn't one to really freak out.

"I may not like crowds much, but I don't typically freak out about a whole lot. I'm pretty calm most of the time. I suppose I should've expected that everyone would be there to watch all of the new students get sorted."

Lee Jung-Hwa

"I may not like crowds much, but I don't typically freak out about a whole lot. I'm pretty calm most of the time. I suppose I should've expected that everyone would be there to watch all of the new students get sorted."

Jung Hwa just smiled at the girl in acknowledgement. Perhaps the girl is the level headed type but that's just too soon to conclude. Hogwarts is not your typical muggle boarding school. For sure they will have the standard adolescences dramas but one must not forget that the equation includes magic so it might be a little more dramatic. 

Although he's already a Second Year, he's still learning to navigate himself through this delicate yet complicated process of growing up. It would have been a little easier if there were supporting parents by his side.  

"What are you reading?" He nodded at the book in her possession. Jung Hwa couldn't help but wonder if this trait of hers will land her in the same house as him. The house where commonly most bookworms, geeks or nerds ended up.  

Leona Natalya Millegan

No one had really been interested in the things she read before, so when someone asked what she was reading, it surprised her a little. Out of the pile of books she'd packed in her trunk, she'd chosen the smallest one. It wasn't a novel or even a short story. It was a book of compiled tales, written how the author thought they happened according to history. It was one of her favorites, since it was about one of her favorite subjects.

"I'm reading a book about mythology, specifically Greek. This is one of my favorite books and the tales are interesting. And, since it's mythology, who knows if the tales within this book actually happened that way? Mythology is one of those subjects that can happen any number of ways. There's no one way a myth is born. That's what makes it an interesting subject to me."

Lee Jung-Hwa

"I'm reading a book about mythology, specifically Greek. This is one of my favorite books and the tales are interesting. And, since it's mythology, who knows if the tales within this book actually happened that way? Mythology is one of those subjects that can happen any number of ways. There's no one way a myth is born. That's what makes it an interesting subject to me."

By the time she finished explaining herself, he was sure he would be seeing her around the common room after tonight. Jung Hwa doesn't want to fall into the stereotypical build of a Ravenclaw but his brain just naturally runs on its own. It's undeniable that Mythology is an interesting subject only if he's a muggle. However, he's a wizard that walks on the same land as the many mythical creatures that appears in the pages of his textbooks and also myths that is a part of the magical history. 

"You'll find most of your answers soon enough." But the thought of History of Magic does bore him. "So.... which Greek God or Goddess, or Demigod you're most interested in?" He leaned against the compartment window, legs propped up and stretched on the seat he's comfortably occupying for his own.  "Please don't tell me Athena."

Leona Natalya Millegan

I wonder what he means by, 'You'll find most of your answers soon enough.' Is there a Mythology course at Hogwarts? Will I learn about mythology in another course? What is the typical course load at Hogwarts for a first year? Hmm.

She was brought out of her inner musings by a question being directed at her, 'Which god, goddess, or demigod interests you most?'

"Well, Athena is the goddess of wisdom and battle strategy, so it would make sense that she would be one of my favorites, but I actually don't have a favorite god, goddess, or demigod. I like them all. If I had to pick a favorite, however, I think I would choose a demigod. The demigods are interesting. I'm partial to Achilles, the warrior, Asclepius, the healer, and Orion, the hunter. The subject of Mythology, as a whole, is very interesting."