Dale McQueen-Trengrove

Somewhere there's lightning hidden within your storm

Dale McQueen-Trengrove

Continued from here

At least he didn't feel like he was dying anymore. After team dueling, Mr. Bhaduri had managed to get him some minor medical treatment reversing the effects of drain and some chocolate to get his strength back up. He had looked very gray after team dueling thanks to said double drain, and some electrical shocks. He had asked Robbie to wait for him (it hadn't taken more than 5 minutes as the officiator worked his magic on his minor ailments) and then Dale dragged Robbie to the one place where he didn't think he would be interrupted. He had been here only once before when he had needed somewhere where no one could find him. The flaw in the logic was that somehow Ringo had found him but Dale hoped Willa would be too busy with whatever she was doing with Alex (on piggyback ride no less (creating some jealousy -- did she like Alex too like Zach or were they just friends??)) and would not come to Moaning Myrtle's bathroom of all places. 

The place was as dank as he remembered it. It looked the same as when he was in it the last time, except someone had magically repaired the mirror he had shattered with his fist. Dale still knew where it was though. Despite the fact that the floor was very dirty, he slid down there anyways - he was tired of standing having done that nearly all day during the team dueling session that had been exhausting both physically and mentally. 

It had not been that fun (raging hormones, anyone?) --- last year had seemed far more happier and fun. This year there had been too much drama and of course part of the issue had been him and Willa. They had created it and that basically had infected the entirety of team dueling at least for him. But there seemed to have been other things going on, not to mention the weird way Pali had looked at him, and Annag taking care of him. All of it had just been weird.

At any rate, he owed Robbie an explanation for the hexing and the pouring of Dragon RageTM over his friend and mentor's head. Robbie had gallantly tried to stop it but there had been a couple of times he had not been able to resist adding on. 

Dale gave a long sigh and then looked over @Robbie Curtis. He had promised an explanation later and now it was in fact, later. He had never said it out loud though and so he was a little bit apprehensive even though he wanted to talk about it. He hadn't been able to talk about it until now. "Guess I finally owe you that explanation now, huh?" he said as he changed his gaze to his feet. "Just, you can't tell anyone any of this, okay?" 

Robbie Curtis

Though Robbie had emerged from the team duelling event relatively unscathed in comparison to Dale, he had still welcomed its end with as much enthusiasm as his bro. The whole ordeal had been a disaster: whilst Jeramie had been determined to suck the fun out of the planning stage, an ambushing from Annag and Cale had elicited the blond's anger during the first half of the battle. Worst of all, however, had been the necessity of constantly running between Dale and Willa, whose friendship was immediately replaced by a bitter feud when the former dumped a can of dragon rage over the latter. Robbie had spent most of both phases trying to stop them from attacking each other, and had thus shot Dale a look of relief when the game's conclusion was announced.

Five minutes or so after said conclusion, he and a newly-fixed up Dale burst through the doors of a seemingly abandoned bathroom - one which Robbie had never visited before and was unsurprisingly not enamoured by. It was the sort of place the Slytherin expected attracted a large number of pairs of friends, its grungy, draughty conditions providing the exact deterrent needed to keep other students away while secrets were spilled. And indeed, Robbie knew secrets would be soon be spilled within the confines of the graffitied walls, over a few chocolate frogs and a game of Exploding Snap to lighten the mood. Dale had promised to tell him why he was so determined to bother Willa, and the first year - ultimately confused by his friend's abnormal behaviour - was eager to hear the explanation.

Fortunately it didn't take long for Dale to commence the conversation.

Pulling out his deck of Exploding Snap cards (acquired from his dormitory while Dale was getting fixed by Mr. Bhaduri) and a few leftover chocolate frogs from team duelling, Robbie turned to look at his friend and offered him a sympathetic smile. Whether or not the second year caught this before glancing back at his feet would remain a mystery to the blond, but the sentiment was there nonetheless. "Yeah, I reckon you do," he muttered as he lowered himself down to Dale's level, then placed the deck of cards on the ground and threw the snacks over to his friend. The dirt on the floor didn't bother him - he had more than ten other pairs of clean trousers in his drawer anyway. "And I won't tell. You're my best mate on the Quidditch team, why would I?"

Edited by Robbie Curtis

Dale McQueen-Trengrove

Unusually for him, he left the few chocolate frogs alone. He wasn't really up for eating or playing Exploding Snap but he reluctantly started playing anyways, figuring it would at least be a welcome distraction from all of the thoughts that he had. He had way too many thoughts these days whether it was about Willa, other girls, Zach, or something else entirely. And everything was too bloody complicated. He was looking down at the dusty ground as he kind of played with one of the cards as Robbie lowered himself down to his level and started talking.

"I know," he replied. "It's, I haven't told anyone this." Granted he really had no one to tell - he might have been able to tell Fenella once upon a time, but things were also weird there with her not really speaking to him after the show he had displayed with Honorine. Dale ran a hand through his hair -- a tic that he always displayed whenever he was nervous before speaking again. He really didn't know where to start. The simple explanation for his behavior (which is what he wanted to give so he didn't have to use his words) during team dueling didn't explain everything. If he liked Willa, why would he have poured Dragon RageTM over her head and overall been a complete git? He didn't think Robbie would believe that necessarily. 

Maybe it would be better if he explained everything from the beginning. He took a deep breath and began speaking again, not really paying attention to what he was doing in the card game. "This might be a long story," he added. "Well you know that we were friends. And I uh, so I went to a Quidditch game last summer with Willa," he started to say before he couldn't but help the reddening of his cheeks revealing a deep blush as he remembered the hug. "And well, I uh, I realized that I like her." He said the last part so fast that he wasn't sure if Robbie would be able to make it out but he was so goddamn nervous. He had probably liked her before that but that was when he had realized what the butterflies in his stomach meant whenever he was around her. "You know, as in more than a friend kind of way." 

Dale didn't know how he had managed to get all of it out without stopping but somehow he did. And it was out there now. It was the first time he had ever admitted it out loud to anyone and it kind of felt like a relief. 

Robbie Curtis

Before he could ask if his housemate was feeling queasy in response to his unusual dismissal of the chocolate frogs (Robbie couldn't recall a time he'd ever seen his friend refuse food before), Dale's expression of readiness to offer his explanation encouraged the Slytherin to remain silent. He didn't really want to stop the second year - not when he could see the nerves practically radiating from his friend, after all, and was equally desperate to find out what had sparked Dale's behaviour during team duelling - so the blond waited paitently as his teammate continued uninterrupted. Whether or not either of them had placed down matching snap pairs yet was undoubtedly a mystery to both boys.

At the very moment Dale concluded his confession, however, the Exploding Snap deck decided to detonate right in front of them. This impeccable timing was probably for the best, as it afforded Robbie enough time to snap his jaw shut after it had dropped open (and his eyes had practically bulged out of their sockets) at the words 'more than a friend kind of way'.

What. The flack.

"You're in love with Willa?!" he eventually exclaimed once the card commotion had died down, unable to hide his shock even after regaining enough composure to shut his mouth. "I mean, sorry. You like like Willa? That's - " Robbie paused. He'd been about to say how great it was that his friend had the warm and fuzzies, yet there was a particularly complex and ultimately confusing problem which prevented him from doing so: Dale's approach to team duelling. After taking a moment to pause and think about it, the Slytherin realised just how little sense this whole thing made.

"Sorry mate but that doesn't add up. If you like like her, why did you do all that stuff to her just now? Shouldn't you be getting her flowers and chocolates and telling her how pretty she is instead?"

Edited by Robbie Curtis

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.