Mary Wilkins

An easy transition, if you know the way

Mary Wilkins

Mary was fortunate, at least far more fortunate than Joe had been.

When her brother was first required to make this journey, he had also been given a ticket, telling him to take the train from Platform 9 3/4 at 11AM. Normally, for a farm girl, this question would lead to questions as to the authenticity of the ticket and the mental capacity of the one who had issued it.

Fortunately, Mary had been armed with a certain amount of foreknowledge about both Hogwarts and the magical world in general. She didn't know everything, she wouldn't claim to. The letters she had received had been quite detailed and informative; the ones from her brother's friend far more so than those penned by Joe himself. Mary had been told about the platform some time ago, and how to find it. She therefore did not have to cope with the struggles many other muggleborn students faced when it was their turn to board the Hogwarts Express for the first time.

Mary walked with confidence as she carried the trolley containing her trunk and the cage in which her owl resided. She knew where she was going, and she was ready to face this new school. In fact ,she was looking forward to it. Mary was not approaching Hogwarts blind, she had some understanding of the lessons she would be taking, and she even been given a picture of the school itself.

As she stood on the platform, facing the barrier between platforms 9 and 10, she hugged her mother goodbye. Her mother had come down with her on the train from Surrey, a couple of villages away from the family farm but now it was time for Mary to make the final journey alone.

She walked forward, briskly, pushing her possessions in front of her, and was not surprised when a moment later she arrived on the platform. The place was crowded, but that was to be expected. She was sure that everyone she saw was either a student or a family member who had come onto the platform to see them on to the train. Mary's mother was back in the station proper though, not wanting to risk trying to pass a magical barrier.

Mary made her own way on to the train, walking along the corridor until she spotted an empty compartment. She then pushed the door open, laid her trunk and her owl cage down and took a seat. She was sure that someone would join her here, there were enough people on the platform to indicate that the train would fill up quickly. Mary hoped that whoever might join her , they might be able to strike up a pleasant conversation.

Edited by Mary Wilkins

Artemis Eden

This was it! She was finally ready to board the train that would take her to her home away from home for the next 7 years. Saying it was a rush was an understatement. Artemis had heard so much and so many stories of the school from her mother. Bedtime was always her favorite because her mother would indulge her with stories of her time at Hogwarts. Needless to say, it allowed Artemis's imagination to run wild with thoughts and dreams of how it would be when she was finally able to attend. Now here she was some years later, trunk packed and on a trolley, wand in her pocket and train ticket in hand.

Artemis looked down at her watch and sighed. 10:38 AM. She glanced back at mother and waited while her and her younger brother got out of the car. "Oh c'mon mum! I don't want to be late!! Just leave him there." She sighed dramatically and waved dismissively, huffing as she heard her brother mutter a defensive "Hey!" She knew she had plenty of time but she did not want to wait any longer. Getting frustrated with how slow the rest of her family were moving Artemis pushed her trolley towards King's Cross station. Halfway across the parking lot, Artemis could hear her family bustling and calling for her to wait for them. Rolling her eyes, she stopped just before entering the station and put a hand on her hip. When her mother and brother finally caught up, they moved to the pillar that marked platforms 9 and 10 and she glanced at her watch again.

10:45 AM.

With just 15 minutes to spare, Artemis gave a small smile and ran through the pillar and onto platform 9-3/4 and moved to the side, staring at the train. Not too long after, her mother and brother also showed up behind her. Turning around, Artemis gave her mother a huge smile as they embraced each other. Yes, she could be somewhat sarcastic and make snide side remarks to her mother but that was HER mother nonetheless and she would miss her terribly. She nodded when her mother asked to write often and apologized that father couldn't make it due to work. She ruffled her brothers hair before enveloping him in a hug and made him promise to look after mom and to take care of he house elves. With that, she gave her family one last wave goodbye and boarded the bright red train.

Sighing, she found a place to put her trunk and moved on to look for a place to sit. Most of all the compartments were full and the people inside looked as if they had already known each other from years before. It somewhat made her wish that she had talked to more people in her father circle of friends. Some of them had children around her age. In her defense though, they were all so snooty, it was hard to like them. Finally, Artemis came across a compartment that only had one girl sitting in it. This girl seemed to be around her age and Artemis smiled. a chance to make a new friend. Without hesitating, she slide the door open and smiled at the girl. "Do you mind? Everywhere is full."

Edited by Artemis Eden

Mary Wilkins

Mary smiled when the door opened and a girl entered her compartment who looked to be around her own age. She could see the train was filling up but up until now, nobody else had discovered her compartment. Mary was starting to think that she might travel to Hogwarts alone. Mary wondered where G and Hazel where, they were surely on the train by now and she had given serious throught to looking for them. As she now had company though, she thought hat might not be necessary and maybe this journey might be a good opportunity to maybe make another friend.

The new arrival's first words were kindly spoken and offered with a smile. This was a good sign, since it seemed to show that the other girl might have a warm disposition. "Of course you can join me" she nodded at the new girl "I'm Mary."

She looked for a possible conversation opener, but it didn't take her long to settle on a possibility. "Do you know much about Hogwarts?" she asked "my brother's letters gave me a certain insight, but I would suspect that there is far more to be revealed." If the girl was of non-magical parentage, like her then perhaps she would know nothing at all but there was also the possibility that she came from a wizarding family and would have been coached in preparation for her first day of school.

Artemis Eden

Smiling, Artemis moved into the compartment swiftly and took a seat across from the girl. She sighed and set her small backpack on the seat next to her and made to get comfortable for the long journey ahead. She looked up when the girl introduced herself and smiled softly. "It's a pleasure to meet you Mary. I'm Artemis. You can call me Artie if you like."

It was a only a brief moment of silence before the other girl Mary spoke up. Did Artie know about Hogwarts? Of course she did. What witch or wizard didn't? Artie nodded slowly and chuckled softly. "My mother and father have told my brothers and I a lot about the school. I'm the older sibling so I get to test out if all the rumors my parents told me about are true. Maybe then I can be like your brother and write to my younger siblings all about it." She looked the girl across from her up and down and tilted her head slightly. "Have your parents not told you about their adventures at Hogwarts?"

Artemis heard the little dinging of a trolley. That must be where all the snacks were. She quickly reached into her bag and pulled out a handful of galleons before looking over at Mary. "My mother has always said the treats on the trolley are the best and I think I hear it coming. Would you like anything?"