Willow Borage

You're not my mum!

Willow Borage

Willow Borage age ten was out and about with her elder sister, Aeryn. This was a rare occurrence, you see she was typically shuffled back and forth between her mami and papi. Not because they were divorced, but because they did two different things. Mami was an Auror. And papi had his research. 

It was fun when she was little, but Willow was over it. 

Her venture with Aeryn was out of nowhere. Her brothers were doing these brother things, so Aeryn suggested going out just the two of them. Willow thought it would be fun.

She was dead wrong. First off, Willow hated shopping. She was more than content with wearing one of her baggy shirts and a pair of jeans or shorts. Her dark curls were always a mess, and she had freckles splashed across her nose and cheek. She And Aeryn looked nothing alike. 

See the biggest problem was @Aeryn Morgan Brown never stopped talking. She just babbled on and on about everything and anything, and Willow was tired of it. 

“I want to go home.” Willow said after the second shop. Aeryn didn't listen. That was four shops ago. By the time they exited the sixth shop, Willow was done, and Aeryn just kept babbling!

“I'm not going.” Willow said stomping her foot. Aeryn flashed her a look and tugged at her arm. Willow screamed and stomped on her sisters foot. “YOU'RE NOT MY MUM! STRANGER DANGER!” She shrieked before untangling herself from her sister and running.

(Permission to godmod Aeryn)

Phillip Aldermaston

Phillip, age seventeen, was revelling in his new-found freedom at being able to do whatever he wanted – in the Wizarding world, at least.  Today, he wanted to explore London so he’d done just that – specifically, the Wizarding part of London.

And…then….he heard something about ‘not my mum’ and so he stopped for a moment and accidentally-on-purpose dropped his pendant – after all, there could be a problem or it could just be a younger child  - no, a child – being a brat for a stepmum or something. But while they didn’t look anything alike, that didn’t make sense because the ages were wrong.

And Phillip had grabbed a golden-coloured bead of the pendant just as the kid yelled for help by screaming ‘Stranger Danger’ and then there was running.  Phillip nodded and ran to catch up with the little girl. “I can help. Come On.” And with that comment, he offered his free hand.

Willow Borage

Willow wasn’t sure why she agreed to this. She liked Aeryn, usually but at times her older sister made her do things like this. Shopping at multiple shops when she wanted to do anything but. Willow was pretty much a tomboy, though she would occasionally wear dresses, she preferred being more comfortable.

Willow was just tired, and made at her sister, so shouting and running off seemed like the better option. It got her away from her sister and she can explore a bit on her own. Win-win.

She was just so angry, and annoyed that Aeryn would be treating her like both a baby and a doll. Willow may be the youngest, but she was a lot smarter than Ash.

Willow got further away from her sister when she saw a boy. He was tall, but not as old as her Papa, but not as young as Eddie. Now she knew this was a real stranger danger situation, but this might be a bit of fun right?

“Okay.” She said taking his hand, wondering where he would take her.

Phillip Aldermaston

Um, he hadn’t made her come with her or offered her any inducements  or tricks (puppies and ice-cream) before she had made the choice to come with him.   And you know,she’d been in the process of being kidnapped so…certain rules were suspended, surely?

Granted, he was about to offer that – but the point was that that was after she had chosen freely to come with her so he steered into the nearest place that did something he thought she’d like   (ice-cream or milkshake or other things).

Though he hadn’t got a very secure grip on his pendant, so it got jostled  so that he dropped it when he bumped shoulders with someone in the crowd on the way in to the place.

Phillip wiped his hand over his face.  “Okay…so I don’t know who you should be with.  So….why don’t you tell me over a milkshake or something and we’ll contact them, yeah?”  And Phillip had accidentally slipped into the tone that he used with his little brothers – who were seven so…ooops. 

Willow Borage

Willow wasn't sure why she was trusting this stranger. Truthfully she had no idea who he was, and this was better than dealing with Aeryn. Willow found her older sister really annoying right now and wanted nothing to do with her, so yes she walked away, and yes she was getting kidnapped in the process.

Even if she didn't see this as kidnapping.

Especially when he offered her milkshakes. Willow loved milkshakes. The newly turned ten year old loved milkshakes and frankly this was the best idea. It gave her time to cool off after dealing with her sister, and she got a free milkshake in return. It was wonderful.

"Okay. You know I'm not a baby right? I'm ten. I go to Hogwarts next year you know." Willow said following him to the ice cream shop and humming. "My papi is in South America." Her mami was in Hogsmead, but he didn't need to know that.

Phillip Aldermaston

Phillip didn’t see this as kidnapping either – he saw this as rescuing from a kidnapping since he didn’t know that the person looking after this girl was her older sister – he’d just rescued a frightened little girl as far as he knew.

Phillip led her to an unoccupied table that was as far away from all the windows as he could possibly manage and a small smile that was somewhere between fraternal and avuncular played around his lips when Willow protested that she wasn’t a baby.   “Oh?  So does that make you too old for ice-cream?” Of course, with Phillip’s naturally upturned mouth, that really meant that he smiled more than usual.

And then he reached out to ruffle Willow’s hair. “So….what flavour milkshake do you want to talk over?”   Phillip couldn’t exactly drink-drink but things had happened so he was going to do something stupid nonetheless – i.e. some horribly caffeinated thing. 

Willow Borage

Willow wasn't stupid. She knew she was going to be in big trouble. Her mamma always told her wandering off with strangers wasn't a good thing, and while she generally listened, he was a boy and seemed a lot more interesting than her sister, so it was win-win. Plus, she needed friends, right? Sure she was ten, and this boy was... well old. It didn't mean anything. 

Willow followed him to the table a bit apprehensive, but trusting him enough to follow him. At his comment about ice cream, Willow eyed him. "Not being a baby doesn't mean I can't have ice cream. Ice Cream isn't just targeted for babies." She reminded him.

As he ruffled her hair, an action that reminded her greatly of something @Edward Borage would do, Willow batted his hand away. "My hair is sacred. You see these curls? They mess up at the drop of a hat." Not really but still. Leaning forward she messed with his hair and smirked. "I want a cookies and creme milkshake with sprinkles, please."

Phillip Aldermaston

So …Phillip pulled her chair out for her and then went to get the milkshakes after an aside of “Just…promise to lock yourself in if she comes back, okay?” with a jerk of his head to the loo.   

After all, he needed to keep her safe from the kidnapper so…yes.  Phillip was intending to keep her safe from her kidnapper, not her sister, and he was unaware that they were one and the same and that she wasn’t really being kidnapped.

Once he was satisfied that he had extracted that promise from her, he proceeded to go and get the milkshakes and pay for them.  Hers was what she had requested. His was….the most caffeinated thing on the menu with chocolate shavings.  Phillip had also brought back three bars of chocolate (one for her, one for him and one to share) and since he really needed a drink and couldn’t – he’d done the next best thing – which was the darkest chocolate available.  

Once he’d put the tray down, he made a ‘tuck in’ gesture and then looked over at her.  “So…you said your dad’s away?  What about your mum?” and Phillip’s tone was one of gently questioning a lost child.

Aeryn Morgan Brown

Why had she been dumped with the responsibility for making sure her sister was adequately dressed in a posh frock for their Grandmother’s Charity Ball? It was simple to get a dress, you simply went to Ellie’s gargantuan closet and picked one! Well, you just asked first and then picked one...no, that wasn’t how it went down either! You had an over-long conversation with Ellie prior to asking, got permission, went over and had an even longer conversation about EVERYTHING but clothes. Then came a super long detailed list of what it was for and then an eternity in picking and discarding everything twice over before Ellie insisted something would look good and you took it and fled....after another long conversation about everything else not already discussed. It always took an hour! So really, Willow ought to have been thanking her lucky stars that she got to buy new...plus nothing Ellie had would fit since Willow was still a child!

And an annoyingly whiney one at that!!!!!

But she whilst Aeryn was prepared to talk over the complaints she wasn’t the least prepared for the screaming reminders she wasn’t her sister’s mother nor the fog-horn loud screams of being a stranger and the sudden yanking away and bolting!

Aeryn’s mouth dropped open but nothing came out. Some tallish guy swooped in and swept her sister away and just, like that, the pair vanished!

She stood, frozen to the spot, horrified and shaking! It seemed like an eternity before she moved. A few darting steps one way, a few more a different way but the pair was gone and Aeryn had no clue where to even start. Her hand fumbled for the mirror and she dropped it, the glass cracking but not coming free. By now she was trying desperately hard not to cry but as soon as her mother appeared in the mirror all of Aeryn’s stiff upper lip failed and she sobbed, “Willow ran away, screaming at me, telling me I’m not her mother and stranger danger and some guy snapped her up and I can’t find them! I can’t see them anywhere and she hates me, and why couldn’t she just borrow a dress? What happens if it was Uncle Meanie again? I mean I know it can’t be but what if it was his ghost? What if...”

A hand fell on her shoulder and Aeryn screamed just as shrilly as her sister had done only to have it muffled by the comforting shoulder of her mother. People around them were staring but she didn’t care! Her mother would make it better!

”This is all my fault!” she sobbed, her body still shaking despite her mother’s comforting embrace.

Rayya Borage-Brown

One glance at her eldest child’s distorted and sobbing face was enough to bring Rayy to her feet immediately, the last of the moss reports failing to the floor. The babble should have been confusing and would have been if it hadn’t been for honed targeted-listening skills. Rayy paled at the first bit, was shaking about some guy coming in but the blood drained fast and left her staggering from suddenly feeling faint at the mention of Cled. The man was well and truly dead; long dead. But Aeryn’s panicked and fearful thoughts were enough to jolt her mother back into a dark place she has never wanted to experience again.

And if she didn’t fancy being dumped back to the six weeks of hell, Aeryn sure didn’t want to be either! And yet they were both going to be back in that spot! The difference this time was that Rayy wasn’t going to obey commands with the promise that her baby’s life would be forfeit if she stepped wrong. That had been a mistake last time but not this time.

Grabbing her cloak, she fled the office and appeared next to Aeryn with a pop that the young woman missed. She pulled her into a tight hug, feeling her shake and letting the anger cool into something usable. “Shhhhh! This isn’t your fault! It’ll be okay. Cled is long dead and it’s not him! She’ll be fine! I swear it!”

Rayy stepped back and held her daughter away, checking her over and knowing that as far as searching went, she’d be worthless. She pulled her back in for a tighter squeeze. “Can you describe the man? Other than tall? No?”

Fresh sobs erupted at the shake of Aeryn’s head. “Shhhh, it’s okay, it’s fine. I’ll find them! Are you okay to apparate? No? That’s okay too, I’ll banish you home and I’ll let you know as soon as I find her.” And she did just that, sending Aeryn to her room in the Hogsmeade house.

But once her eldest was out of the picture, Rayy’s face dropped the concerned look and went straight into business mode. She pinned her badge prominently to the outside of her cloak and went hunting. People either offered information or scattered as she approached and at one point she feared that Willow had been taken down Knockturn Alley but the grizzled man shook his head and gestured further down the street.

And indeed it was further down the street that Rayy found her wayward child and the ‘man’ who’d taken her. Dread gave way to a furious anger as she recognised him straight away. Without a word she walked up to the pair enjoying milkshakes and chocolate bars and yanked her daughter to her feet and shoved her behind her where she’d be blocked if her mother’s pain in the rear-end decided to man up and Hex her. 

Her knuckles were white from the death grip she had on her wand as she pointed it at him and her voice was like ice, ”Mr Aldermaston!”

permission to GM granted by both Aeryn and Willow!

Phillip Aldermaston

Actually, it was all Willow’s fault – not that Phillip knew that yet.  It was Willow who had screamed stranger danger after all.   So no, it wasn’t Aeryn’s fault but then again, Phillip didn’t know that either.

And Phillip had no clue what was going on and then idiot marched in – with her badge on.   Wonderful.  Not.   

And then there was a wand pointed at him and he looked up. “Look…One:  That threat works better before the threat that’s hard to…forgive….”   Yes.  Phillip’s tone was utterly sincere and free of guile here because he honestly wasn’t bright enough to see why else she would pick that week to enforce an order that didn’t need to even be a request but could merely be acquiescence.

The real two was why on earth she was always the one to escalate the conflict and three was why she expected him to be violent – she should know that he wasn’t that sort of person by now.  Still, that didn’t matter.

Phillip craned around to try and see Willow’s face for a moment before taking a deep breath and addressing Rayya again.  “Two.  You are on duty; we’re not discussing this now.   It worked both ways.    Phillip wasn’t exactly trying to be obnoxious but then again, he wasn’t trying to not be obnoxious either.  And no, holding someone to their words was not the same as twisting them.

Of course, his attempts at calmly pointing out that he wasn’t  the violent unhinged one – she was  -would probably have been far more effective if he had had a vanilla milkshake or something.  

As it was, he had had far too much caffeine for his genetics and thus had some mild jitters of I’ve-had-one-too-many-cups-of-coffee variety to contend with.

Edited by Phillip Aldermaston

Rayya Borage-Brown

The scowl on her face deepened as her arch nemesis opened his mouth and pressed her buttons without being an overly mouthy git. Eyes narrowed to barest slits. The pulse in her neck thumped hard and adrenaline forced the blood to her face. Her hand moved swiftly, tearing the damned Auror badge off her cloak. It came free with some of her cloak with it and she threw it down on the table where to bounced twice before landing face up.

”WE ARE DISCUSSING THIS NOW!” Rayy snarled in a voice she rarely, if ever, used.

Phillip Aldermaston

Phillip had tried to run and he’d tried to hide but Rayya wasn’t having it.  So that left  fight but that was stupid – and it was only to look for escape.    So her scowl was met with an icy hard stare since she had forgotten her manners.    Still, the rest of his body language was kept carefully utterly non-threatening and just-a-touch submissive.

And then he shrugged.  “Yeeeeeeeeah……two  problems with that.”     What? The long drawn-out sooooo had been life-and-death somehow last time so he was trying to point something out here. “One:  You can lecture me all you want but on- or off-  duty, you can’t actually make me discuss anything.”  He could choose to be utterly silent, after all.

And the second one…was….well, she had laid her own trap.   “Two….excuse me?!  You’re not on duty so I can safely ignore a command or request from you now, right?”   Yes, that was how it worked, according to her.  Not his fault if she engineered things like this.  The ‘excuse me’ was the sharp version used on rude people.

“But since you wanted to discuss things … on-duty ….thanks for letting me know what you really objected to.  Having the conversation in front of…..” and here, Phillip trailed off but he thought Rayya would know what he meant (having the conversation in front of credible witnesses) and Willow wouldn’t.

And with that comment, Phillip turned  slightly – he wanted to face Willow and although he couldn’t literally turn his back on Rayya, he opted to attempt to signal that by  kneeling down and craning around Rayya so that a)he could assess Willow’s face and b)he was non-threatening and c)it was the best he could do to turn his back on Rayya whilst also keeping an eye on Willow.

Again, Phillip had had too much caffeine so he had some mild jitters to deal with.  Nothing major; he'd just had the equivalent of one more cup of coffee than was sensible.

Edited by Phillip Aldermaston

Willow Borage

Willow grinned when he ordered chocolate. She loved chocolate. Her all time favorite flavor was this cinnamon chili chocolate her papi always sent her from South America, but this chocolate will do as well. Her feet swung as she reached for a piece, about to answer him about her mami when suddenly her mami appeared and Willow was shoved behind her back.

"HEY!" Willow shouted to her mother, her foot stomping. This wasn't fair! She was perfectly fine, thank you very much. Sure she may have run off from her sister and went off with a stranger, but Phillip was nice! 

Still, she has never seen her Mami look so mad. Willow stepped to the side, because lets face it. The last thing she wanted was to accidentally get hit or something and looked at both Phillip and her mother. 

Things seemed to be getting pretty bad, so Willow decided to talk. "He was helping me." She told her mother softly. Willow was normally loud and had no problem standing up for herself, but seeing her mami like this was scary. "He got me chocolate and a milkshake. He was nice." 

Rayya Borage-Brown

Phillip was being classic Phillip and Rayy felt her blood pressure soar high enough to give her a whopping headache that threatened to burst blood vessels. She was this close (‘ ‘) to strangling him! Really and truly wrapping her hands around his neck, eschewing magic for the far more rewarding feel of manually feeling him finally stop! The hand not holding her wand curled into the right shape that would fit snug. It would be so bloody easy! 

Her wand clattered to the tabletop to lie across her badge as her other hand curled into a matching shape

She took a step forward and reached across the table for him when Willow spoke, first shouting and stamping her foot before going quieter than Rayy could ever remember her being. She whirled around to face her precious baby, her hands still in claws and a feral look on her face. Her hands were also the prefect shape to land on her daughter’s shoulders and give her a rattling shake, then pull her close for a smothering hug, and finally hold her away as she checked her over. By the time she was assured that Willow was both safe and unharmed, her control over her emotions had broken and there was a flood of silent tears.

One hand left her daughter to fumble for the mirror. The call was over fast but it didn’t end before Aeryn’s sobbing started. With the tears of her eldest cane her own voice, wobbly and still extremely angry, “Helping you? Willow Arianell Borage! You are grounded until the 1st of September next year when you get to escape to Hogwarts! And if you pull another stunt like that, you’ll be grounded until you’re 30! Your father might have let you run wild but I won’t! You will also ask forgiveness from Aeryn because you sent her back to six weeks of hell!...”

Still not letting go of her child’s shoulder, Rayy half turned her incandescent anger back on the boy and snarled his way, “You didn’t kidnap her?” She turned back and demanded, “You were being a brat?”   

The question brought the surroundings back in focus and Rayy shoved her wayward and troublesome daughter back into the chair she had yanked her up from. She snatched her wand from the table and enveloped them in silence so none of the gawking crowd could overhear them. Rayy collapsed into another chair and growled, “Explain!”

And GM permission given 😘

Phillip Aldermaston

Of course he was being classic Phillip – that’s what happened when Rayya was Classic Rayya i.e. an unhinged violence-threatening monster.  (Or you know, they simply rubbed one another up the wrong way)

Phillip shrunk back slightly when she reached for him and of course, he went a little paler and the warm tones drained from his face and he held his breath for a fraction of a second – but his colouring improved rather rapidly once she let go of her wand and seemed less likely to go for him and he actually smiled for once – though given the shape of his mouth, it might have been more of a smirk than he meant it to be.

The teen scowled when Willow was checked over – he made no move to stop Rayya from doing this but he did wonder if she truly thought he would harm Willow  - because he would have hurt Rayya by now if he was going to hurt anyone and…he really wasn’t the kind of man (and thinking of himself like that still felt strange) that would hurt innocents.   Rayya should know this by now.

And then she blanketed them in silence and demanded he explained and Phillip shrugged.  Once again, he had to wonder why she a)wanted to do things in public but b)then objected to witnesses.    Pick one, woman.

And then he was asked if he had kidnapped her….which…he didn’t actually know?  What did you need to do in order to kidnap someone? So Phillip simply rubbed the back of his neck before he answered.  

“Umm…maybe, maybe not? Willow was going on about someone not being her mum and I thought she was…just…well, being a brat for her grandmother or aunt or someone but I wasn’t sure.”   That was true enough.   “So I dropped my pendant as an excuse to listen closer and there was yelling about stranger danger and her dad’s away? And….here we are.”

Of course, after that speech, Phillip had to take a deep breath and waited for Rayya’s answer.  Though he hoped Willow did pull another stunt like that because Hogwarts was not a happy or safe place.

Rayya Borage-Brown

“Her father is always away! And I can just imagine what he’s going to say about this, especially after the talking-to I gave him about the twins’ Machu Picchu exploits!” Rayy snapped with a cross look over at her suddenly silent youngest daughter. “So you rescued her from her half-sister who had kindly agreed to take a day off work to get a dress robe for her younger sister’s charity ball debut! I told grandmother Willow it was a bad idea and the twins weren’t ready but since when does anyone listen to me?”

She glared at her baby girl, “This is all your fault! Poor Aeryn is beside herself! She thought it might have been Cled who’d snatched you! You almost gave her heart failure! To say nothing about how I’d feel! You, young lady, are in so much trouble! Your father has been way too lenient with you! And you!” Once again her glare was aimed at Phillip but it softened, “I’m decidedly unhappy about this but it’s clear that it’s not your fault and I have to admit you did the right thing.”

Rayy paused and tried for a smile though it was weak, “Thank you for stepping in and getting my daughter to safety. I’m sorry I jumped to conclusions; I lost Aeryn for six weeks and clearly the memory of that has been detrimental to today’s incident. I hope you can accept my apology.”

Not sure how it would be taken, Rayy held out her hand to Phillip.

Phillip Aldermaston

Phillip couldn’t exactly say anything as to whether her father was always away or not so he just shrugged.  He had just asked about her mother when said mother had come storming in so Willow had never got a chance to actually answer that question.

As for since when did anyone listen to her….well, it would probably help if she would stop threatening people for nothing. “Uh…wait…this whole thing is because of not wanting to go the charity ball or go shopping for it, right?”  Phillip wasn’t entirely sure what he was getting at here – all he knew was that one of the principles he’d been raised on was:   Misbehaviour never gets you what you want.

Phillip shook his head slightly at her comment about jumping to conclusions.  She’d done more than that. Strangling/wand-pointing – neither of those counted as merely jumping to conclusions.

“You do realise that If I was going to use your kids to get back at you then I wouldn’t have needed to wait, right? I could just thump Edward and be done with it, you know?”  Of course, Phillip had never shown any inclination to physical violence but his point was that if he had ever wanted to, he had much easier access to a different child.   And Phillip knew better than to hit a younger child and he knew better than to hit a lady.  

So he certainly was not going to hit a girl who was younger than him and honestly, he was scandalised at the mere thought and he had made absolutely zero attempt to hide that from showing up on his face.

Classic Phillip, yes, but what did Rayya expect?  Still, Phillip relaxed slightly when she admitted that she was sorry or at least….she tried to.   Phillip didn’t quite see how that was an apology but he did see that it was an attempt at an apology.  Maybe she was just bad at saying sorry?  Everyone had their weaknesses.

Phillip had been about to accept her apology when she went for him again.   (Reality:  He was already on edge and totally misinterpreted her hand) So his chin automatically dropped to his chest (to protect his throat) and he held his hands up in a defensive posture at chest-height.

“We…uhh… have things to discuss.  The fact I lost my pendant when rushing to rescue someone for starters.”     And Phillip was kind of glad of being rude at this point – although given that his attempts to be rude consisted  of having allowed Rayy to collapse into a chair without pulling it out for her and him remaining seated, they were pretty pathetic displays of ill-manners.