Ophiuchus Valentein-Starr

Blind Dates are the Worst

Xander had been out of school for quite some time at this point! Throughout Hogwarts he’d worked for a rare bookshop over the summer, while he was in school just on the floor and in the shop. When he’d graduated school with fewer NEWTs than would make his mom proud the owner of the shop had taken pity on him, and hired him to acquire rare books.

That had been a great job too! It had made his life interesting, searching for, and buying rare books. It honestly almost made him feel like a professional treasure hunter! He’d done that for a few years, before one morning the old shop owner called him into the office and told him he was selling the shop, and that he’d give Xander plenty of notice when he had a buyer to find a new job if the new owner didn’t keep it on.

It took Xander all of 24 hours to decide he wanted to buy and run the shop, because job security… Also because then he could pursue and buy the rare books he wanted to, and cultivate his own clients, plus those clients he’d inherit from his boss. The cost of the shop had been expensive (expensive, in fact, that he’d found silent partners in the form of his grandmother  and @Alexandria Braelin-VonHaus,) but buying the shop had been the right choice.

He’d been running the shop successfully for a few years, and was on his way to becoming one of the premier purveyors of rare books in Diagon Alley- if not the whole of wizarding Britain. 

Of course, all of this meant that Xander did not have much time to date, which, according to his sister @Bianca Exira-Valentein-Starr, was a travesty, because he was a catch! What did she know though, she just hosted a late night wireless show offering romance advice and playing sappy love songs. Then last Christmas she’d signed him up for some dating service by @Kenzie Pendleton-Diggory.

It had taken him a while to go in, but he finally had a date tonight with the woman he’d been matched with. He was, to be honest, not totally optimistic about a dating service, but the worst that could happen was a bad date, so he figured why not.

They’d agreed to meet at a little bar and grille type restaurant in Diagon Alley, so here he was; he was in black jeans, and a nicely tailored navy button down.

He sat down and waited, once the woman he recognized from the picture entered, he smiled, stood and walked over, ”@Ekaterina Valentin?" He asked, pulling out the chair for her.

Edited by Ophiuchus Valentein-Starr

Ekaterina Valentin

They were beginning to surround her.  All of the 'happy ever aters.  Maks and Lillian.  Kit and Seamus.  Reid and Kirk.  Now, her parents were asking if she'd met someone while on assignments.  Just casual family conversation they said.    And it probably was but Kat really wondered if she had something wrong with her that she could not seem to connect with anyone.  To be fair, she was busy between her assignments as a cursebreaker and her weekend work as a magical dj but she was beginning to wish she had someone that she could at least talk to the way the others had.  That is what had led her to visiting Kenzie's matchmaking service and signing up.  Even though she had not expected anything to come of it, Kat figured there was nothing to lose but a little time to fill out the application.

And, apparently, go on a date!

Kat was a bit surprised to receive notice that there was a possible match and his picture was definitely interesting.  She had to admit that they had a common bond in their first names being a bit complex.  She hoped there was some way to shorten it but at least she could pronounce it without tripping over her tongue.

She recognized him from the photograph she had received as he stood to greet her.  "Ophiuchus Valentein-Starr?" she asked in return before adding, "And please, just call me Kat."

Xander smiled warmly at her as she confirmed his name, “Xander.” He said, “My first name is a mouthful, with no real great nickname possibilities… And my middle name is pretty formal,  so I went with the most bearable nickname I could figure out from there.” He laughed, it was definitely a quirk of his; he knew a few people who went by their middle name, but no one who went by a nickname of their middle name; but with a name like Ophiuchus Lysander what was a guy to do, really. He rambled when he got nervous, and to be honest, he was more nervous that he had realized for this.

It was just a date, right?

Of course right, but Xander didn’t date much these days. Work kept him pretty busy, and this woman was really gorgeous to boot - out of his league, maybe? He'd lucked out with trusting this service. He’d have to remember to thank Bee for signing him up later.

“I’m glad you were able to come out tonight.” He said, a little awkwardly, “I wasn’t sure about Kenzie’s service, but my sister recommended it.” He said; not a lie, but also not the total truth either, as he pulled out the chair for his date.

“What do you do for a living?” he asked, of course he’d read her file; and he was sure she’d read his as well, but what else was there to talk about at the start of an awkward blind date? Careers seemed like a safe place, even if they’d both seen that in the file.

Spacing from word is weird

Ekaterina Valentin

Kat was rather grateful that Ophiuchus had a shorter, easier name to call him.  And it seemed like they had the idea of ornate first and middle names in common.  "Xander," she repeated and smiled.  "I like that," she added and then continued.  "Sounds like we were both gifted with complicated names.  My middle name is Vladimirovna and there's not too much I could do with that."

"I'm glad as well," she admitted and smiled as he explained about not being sure about Kenzie's service.  "For me it was a sort of spur of the moment decision.  I'd probably passed her place multiple times and never even noticed it was there until this one particular day.  For some reason, I saw it and just walked it even though I had no idea what I'd be getting into."  So far, Kat was glad she did.

"Cursebreaker," Kat replied.  "At least that's my day job.  I also seemed to have ended up with a career as a magical dj."  It had been 3 years at least now and she still was not quite sure how that had blossomed from one class party at Jake's house.  How about you?" she asked in return.

Xander chuckled as she mentioned that something they both had in common was complicated names and then said her own middle name, “Impressive.” He he nodded, “My middle name is just Lysander.” He hard eye rolled, “My parents family’s both had that trend that was going on for a while that their children’s names had to all fit a theme.” He said, “Or rather, my dad was eccentric enough that he WANTED to have it, and my mom’s family actually did.” He said, “Mom’s family had a thing for Shakespearian names, and Dad had a thing for Constellations… So here I am.” He shrugged.

He was getting dangerously close to the subject of whether or not he wanted kids, and that was REALLY not first date conversation in his mind, so a quick subject change in the form of an interest in Kat’s job was right on the money.

“Curse Breaker and Magical DJ, now that I a combination!” He said, “I own and operate a used book store down the road, Treasured Tomes.” He said, “Not nearly as interesting as a curse breaker, but part of my business model is that for the right price I will track down rare or hard to find books for people.” He said, “Fortunately none of them have ever cursed me.” he laughed.

“So how’d you end up becoming a Cursebreaker slash DJ?”