Natalia Constantin

The Chronicles of Bernia: The Dragon, The Witches, and the QQS Wardrobe

Natalia Constantin

Natalia tapped her foot against the cobblestones, a little impatient. Mum had brought her to Diagon for the day since mum needed to tend to the shop and dad was working, and they didn’t trust the girl to stay at home by herself. She almost huffed again at the thought - just because she’d broken into dad’s office to try and grab some of the advanced books on charms. Sure the wards had given her little blisters on her fingertips but that hadn’t stopped her from trying again.

And again.

And again.

Eventually Clara and Decebal had caught on and knew Natalia couldn’t be trusted to stay at home and not try to break in for the millionth time.

They’d even taken away her toy broomstick so she couldn’t fly around in the backyard. It wasn’t fair. She was just trying to learn for… well. Reasons. Curiosity wasn’t a crime!

At least mum let her go around Diagon Alley on her own. And since Bernie was going to be here too, all the better that she could hang out with her friend. Natalia probably owed Felix a million and one galleons for being the reason Natalia had gotten introduced to her best friend but she was still mad at him for the last bout of teasing he’d done. It sucked being the youngest by a longshot.

“OI! OVER HERE BERNIE!” Natalia called out, cupping her hands around her mouth to amplify the sound. “‘Bout time you showed up ya stinker,” Natalia greeted her friend with a grin, giving the girl a shoulder bump. “I was starting to grow grey hairs. C’mon let’s skedaddle from here and check stuff out. Wanna go to Quality Quidditch Supplies?”

They could totally hit ice cream later. She knew Bernie would probably want to sport it out first.

Bernadette Roux

Convincing her family to allow her free reign in Diagon Alley had been an easy task. Uncaring indifference from every adult figure at Roux Manor could only be punctuated by a particularly bad letter home regarding her behaviour or by folding to her demands to be taken to quidditch. Getting rid of her for the day, regardless of damage as the sun set, was a preferred approach to raising the rambunctious child.

“I might crash at Talia’s tonight,” Bernie said as Edward led her towards the entrance. Running late due to Bernie being unable to find her best trainers, the stressed man clearly just wanted to dump her and be gone, hence his agreeing to her sleepover without the usual blood lecture. Opening Diagon Alley to her, he gave her a swift shoulder pat before stalking away to head to work. “Enjoy taking away the rights of thousands!” Bernie called to his departing back, fist held aloft in fake solidarity.

It was a comment that definitely did not go down well in the Leaky Cauldron, but Bernie shrugged it off and began the walk to the store. Weaving between bodies, pushing back when required, Bernie stood alert to the slightest wisp of brown hair or the unfurling of a familiar smile that would indicate Talia’s presence. In the end her friend found her with a booming voice that encouraged a toothy grin from the blonde.

“Yoooo!” Bernie fought her way out of the crowd and ran over to the girl, holding her hand aloft to initiate their secret handshake. Once their palms had been stricken in their particular, rhythmic manner, Bernie brought back the conversation to that stinker comment. Not to fight about it, no, Talia was the one person capable of saying whatever she liked in reference to the smallest Roux without earning a kick for her troubles. “Sorry, I couldn’t find my trainers and Edward was in a right mood about it.” She rolled her eyes dramatically and caught Talia in a one-armed hug as she leant in to brush shoulders.

“Oh yeah, I can totally see a few greys from here,” with her free hand she messed up Talia’s hair and cackled, pushing herself forward off of her friend’s back and running ahead. “Last one to the Quidditch shop has to eat a newt eye!” 

Edited by Bernadette Roux

Natalia Constantin

Acing their handshake like the bosses that they were, Natalia listened in for the reason why Bernie was so bloody late in the first place. Hearing that Edward was behind it, the brunette rolled her eyes for good measure, all the while telling Bernie, “Honestly when *isn’t* he in a mood? It’s like he purposely has breakfast with sour milk.” Maybe he was truthfully made of sour milk but this thought ran away from her as Bernie caught her in a one-armed hug.

“If you want I can try and swipe some stuff from home and stuff it in his shoes. Betcha he would be so confused if I put silly putty in there,” she grinned, “Felix might not be happy about that though, You know, working with Edward and all.”

Office politics were lame, obviously. Natalia’s curiosity about their soon to be afternoon adventure soon took over, and the girl was more than happy to forget the-

“Dang,” she murmured, scrunching her face as Bernie ruffled her hair, “Guess I’ll need to spruce my hair up before- OI, YOU CHEAT!” Of course she would do this, of course. "IT DOESN'T MATTER WHO IS LAST I'LL STILL MAKE YOU EAT THE NEWT EYE!" Natalia hollered back as she gave chase to her bestie. Natalia was used to making threats and saying things like that to Bernie - Natalia was pretty sure that she was the only one that got the magical golden pass and was immune to the blonde's wrath. Natalia dug in deep, feeling the burn in her thighs as she hit the cobblestones with force, trying to catch Bernie but she just couldn't make it.

Ugh.

"You're the worst," she groaned as they made it to the Quidditch shop, though her tone changed as she glanced at the gear in the window. Bats and gloves and Merlin that was a beautiful broomstick. "We're gonna rock the pitch, eh? I double dare them not to give us both bats to knock some bludgers around," Talia mused, tugging on her friend's forearm to drag her into the shop, "Maybe we can also not-on-purposely send a bludger Edward's way, if he can find his way out of his office and to the stands."

Bernadette Roux

Affection towards Natalia existed in many forms, the childhood friends capable of sharing anything (well… almost anything…) and being utterly accepting of the other. Whenever Bernie had an issue with her homelife for instance, which was most of the time, a furious letter would be scribbled and sent to Talia who had learnt how to decipher her near illiterate hand. Hence the instant condemnation of her stepfather. “I might use him as bludger practice the next time he comes to training.”

It was hard to try and guess which he would take the most offense to. While bludgers were more dangerous, at least they were entirely magical unlike the putty Talia was threatening to use against him. Bernie was of the belief the man would much rather suffer a serious head injury than have something from the inferior, muggle world come into contact with him. “Do it!” It was what he deserved. But Bernie had not come to Diagon Alley to talk about her detestable family, the street was a chance to escape from them.

And so she ran, a cackle sounding from her lips as she gained instant advantage over Talia and charged onwards. There was simply no catching Bernie once she got going, for what she lacked in smarts she more than made up for in her athletic capabilities, and she bound over obstacles and somehow gained speed as she traversed the corners danced over haphazard ground. “Can’t catch meeeee,” she playfully antagonised as the distance between them grew, and she reached the shop with yards to spare.

Leaning against the wall, her slight pants ceasing as she caught her breath back in the wait, Bernie sarcastically applauded as Talia finally arrived. “I’ll have a newt eye but you gotta have… dragon dung,” it was the worst thing she could think off and if it was actually a valid potions ingredient she would be shook. “You know he wouldn’t watch,” she laughed as Talia doubled down on the bludgering of Edward, allowing her arm to limpen so Talia could drag her inside. “We could try and get Rosie to come, she went this year to do a talk on her job so maybe she has friends.” Doubt.

“I’d love to bludger her face OH! I need some more broom polish,” she guided Talia down through the aisles to find the large carton. “If they don’t gimme a bat I’ll just steal one.”