Sign in to follow this  
Professor Santiago

A Pirate Always Goes Down With The Ship

Professor Santiago

With several years of sailing under his wings, Mateo had developed an acute sense for understanding the winds and what they were trying to tell him. A strong gust with a strong scent of tobacco meant that he was sailing near the edges of South America. A light breeze with a crisp, cool scent meant that he was sailing closer to the United Kingdom.

And a breeze with a faint smell of burning wood meant only one thing. A ship was on fire.

The man had never run so fast in his life before. The THUD from him slamming the castle doors open could probably be heard all the way down at the lakefront, but what was probably more noticeable was the "Noooo!" that started faint but grew louder as Mateo got closer to the waters. "NO! NOT AGAIN!" he shouted over and over as he ran towards the ship.

Was it his? Why was it on fire? Who did this??? were the only thoughts that ran through Mateo's head, which caused him to stumble only a few meters away from the shoreline. Scrambling on the ground, frantically, he reached his hand towards the ship. "WHO WOULD BURN A SHIP??!" he screamed.

And yes, there were tears rolling down his face.

Professor Pichardo

He didn't normally pay attention to the posters the students stuck on the walls advertising their own clubs and activities, but one in particular had caught his eye, especially when paired with the look on his own daughter's face on the day the "event" had been planned to take place.  The suspicious look alone had been enough to prompt him to stick around and so the man was already out on the lawn when Mateo came wailing down the grass with tears streaming down his face.  

He'd been there, listening to the speech and staring at the ship behind Seeley and @Juan Garcia with critical blue eyes.   His ship.  

And Seeley had been the first to light the fire.  Had he taught her nothing?  

The hysterical potions professor was enough to draw his attention away from the flames and he frowned.  "My daughter, apparently." He answered flatly, probably still from the shock.    At least he was holding it together better then the man next to him.   

Professor Santiago

Mateo's neck practically SNAPPED to the side when he heard Oliver's voice. "Your DAUGHTER?!" he huffed through gritted teeth. The dynamic the two of them had at this school had been weird, but Mateo was on Oliver's side of it all because they both saw the beauty of the sea. Still, Mateo tried his best to remain impartial and stay out of any family drama that entailed with teaching at your daughter's school.

But this was unforgivable. Turning back to the burning ship, Mateo felt the tears continue to rolled down his cheeks. This wasn't right. This wasn't fair! "Oliver, I know you love your daughter but--" Mateo cut himself off. What was he going to say? Punish her? Off her? Set her on fire and let's see how SHE liked it? No, the man would never go for that. Plus, Mateo didn't want Seeley's skeleton in his closet along with the others (metaphorically...of course... *shifty*).

"Oliver," Mateo finally found the strength to pick himself off the ground and be at Oliver's eye level. With an arm outstretch towards the ship, Mateo gave his colleague a sorrowful look. "We need to stop this. That's my ship!" He was sure that @Seeley Pichardo was not going to escape this unpunished!

Professor Pichardo

His own head hung low at the further shock in Mateo's voice.  

Oliver was fairly certain this was all some twisted attempt at revenge or her own horrible misguided way of dealing with the news he'd delivered to her in the spring.  All in all she had actually handled it rather well over the summer, helping her mother whenever she could and, from what Oliver had heard, asking far too many questions then he was comfortable with but still this evidence proved otherwise.  

She must have been angry about something.   

"Actually Mateo, it's one of mine." He sighed and ran a hand over his face.  "And I have no idea where she got it."  

Professor Santiago

"Oh." Mateo's voice squeaked with the sudden realization that it was not his ship. In fact, he had no connection to this boat other than as a fan of boats. It was a bit odd how abruptly his tears stopped flowing down his face and how his expression changed from sorrowful to indifference within a few seconds of each other. He turned back to look at the boat, wiping the emotion that was just on his face before turning back to Oliver with a clean expression, as if he had not just been wailing a few seconds ago.

"Man, that sucks," Mateo commented before walking to stand next to Oliver. How in the world Oliver was staying still and not running to the water to stop the burning ship was beyond Mateo but he figured he would at least offer his company if Oliver was going to watch one of his boats burn. "I'll help you rebuild it, I promise," Mateo added, patting his friend on the back and leaving his hand there a few beats to show that he was indeed there for his friend.

"Any reasons why she would do this? Is she just trying to impress her boyfriend or something?" he asked, his eyes fixed on the boat.

Professor Pichardo

Rebuild it?  There would be no rebuilding of it, it would be ash floating on the water by the time the students were through and Oliver was sure that Mateo was well aware of that.  His condolences were appreciated though.  "Yea, thanks." He replied gruffly and cleared his throat, somewhat impressed with the speed at which the other man had pulled himself together.  

Oliver winced when one of the younger students launched a firewink into the middle of the deck and it exploded, lava from the magical contraption spewing into the air and over the contents that had been collected there.   No, there would be no saving this ship and it was a shame because he'd rather liked the siren details painted on the sail. 

But the very idea that Seeley would use this as an attempt to impress a boy managed to pull the smallest putterings of laughter from the man before he stifled it.   "No, her and Potter are done and I don't know much about this Fletcher kid that came around all summer but I doubt..." He stopped mid-thought when another firewink exploded.  

"If anything, this is about the baby."  His own stare remained fixated on the growing flames.  "But, really?!"  He added, jaw dropped.  "Why'd she have to go for the ship?!" 

Professor Santiago

The whole situation still had not been explained to Mateo. He didn't understand why they were burning boats, or even why Oliver's daughter had grabbed a boat of his to burn along with the other students. But with the way people were throwing things at the boat it seemed as if this wasn't a spontaneous action. No, this horrible act of brutality towards the boat was definitely planned. But what would be a good enough reason to burn a boat?

Keeping silent, Mateo listened to Oliver as he explained that Seeley had broken up with the slightly infamous @Desmond Potter. Mateo had originally planned to use Desmond as a way for him to get close to the Potter family, but the boy was either asleep in class or burning potions left and right. It was too difficult to keep pretending like he was interesting. But a comment caught him off guard as Mateo, admittedly, wasn't completely paying attention.

"Oh my, I'm so sorry Oliver. I can't believe your daughter is going to have a bab--Oh! You mean you're having a baby and she's getting a sibling. Man, why didn't you tell me sooner?" Mateo moved from Oliver's side to in front of him, blocking the burning boat from his sight. "Man, we need to celebrate this...right? It's not, like a mistake pregnancy, is it?" Mateo was ready to leave the scene of the burning boat and he figured he could use this excuse to head back and open a bottle of rum.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.