Rayya Borage-Brown

A farmer’s life for me!

Rayya Borage-Brown

Location: Hogsmeade, near the edge of the not-school part of the Forbidden Forest

It probably would have been much better if the timing of this latest madcap idea hadn’t coincided with a Hogsmeade weekend but how was Rayy supposed to know you couldn’t just buy a flock of sheep on the fly? And that they didn’t come delivered by owl post? Well, that last bit should have been fairly obvious but she was a witch and not a muggle! It was only by purest chance that she had met a man, who knew a man, who had a friend, who’s cousin was a Squib farmer...a sheep farmer!

Fortuitous or what?

The plan rather was convoluted and crazy but after a month or so of negotiations, Rayy now had a flock of sheep, complete with gambolling lambs that were running riot over her lawns and tempting the venomous tentacular patch in such a manner that she had been forced to make it a sheep-free zone with some pretty complex runes. It was a small miracle only one of her near neighbours had complained about a heavy rumbling and had been asking everyone what it might have been. Rayy’s offer of dragon had been met with a harrumph of elderly disapproval but had driven off the old crone before she could ask the reason for the sheep. But the truck had certainly been loud and it was just lucky it had arrived before the horde of children descended on the village to make the lives of locals hard.

The sun was high overhead before Rayy finished tinkering with the wards around the perimeter of her property but finally her work was done - the wards now permitted Thestrals to enter, the sheep to not leave, and every other large predator would find a nasty welcome. Pity she couldn’t be graded on the work because it was some of the most complex runic magic she had ever undertaken. She surveyed her...farm...with no small sense of pride. She didn’t know just when Majesty would notice, but she was sure the stink of sheep would eventually drift over and into the forest and attract his attention. Rayy just hoped that the Thestral wouldn’t eat them all at once and wouldn’t become dependent on the food source.

Majesty

The sweet stench of sheep filled the night air as Majesty followed aimlessly to The village next to the castle, it was somewhere the Thestral had not been in a long time, which was only just a few weeks ago as he delivered the children of the castle to and from.  Still, he never wondered too close as this was not good hunting grounds.

Taking to the air with his large leathery wings, Majesty scanned the area which he soon knew where he was.  @Rayya Borage-Brown In the past left little small surprises in her lawn for him and it didn’t take long for the beast to land with a soft thud on the familiar grass, the smell of sheep was strong as he soon found its source and Majesty quickly took sight of a newly born lamb.  For now however,  he was a lion in sheep’s clothing.

Walking close to the herd of fluff the Thestral took no time at all demonstrating that he was no threat, of course, this would soon change once the sheep realized that their numbers were soon-to-be dwindling.  Instead, for now, he payed on the grass with the other sheep, planing which lamb to lure away away.

Edited by Majesty

Rayya Borage-Brown

It was quite late when Rayy arrived home from work and she had very nearly forgotten about the flock of sheep so it came as quite a surprise when one walked into her as she ended her apparition from London. She ended up on the ground and the sheep went bleating away as if its life depended on it. It might have been comical if she hadn’t landed in something unmentionable. A mewl of disgust was quickly followed by a cleaning Charm which, in turn, was promptly followed by a grin as she spotted a familiar shape that was all too big to be a sheep!

”Ooooh!” she breathed, “I guess you’ve found the sheep.”

She walked over slowly, still not quite used to the idea of having a Thestral as a friend, her hand extended with scratches waiting. “Well...I suppose we ought to talk about rules.” And yes, she was going to have a mundane human conversation with a wild animal, but she had a feeling that the Thestral would understand because they were quite smart. “Now, I know it’s probably very tempting but don’t go eating the baby sheep! Otherwise there won’t be any left to eat next year! And you can’t eat the lot at once and make a pig of yourself! And if I find entrails on my step I shall be very cross! Now I’m sure you’re very clever, boy, so these are the rules! You break them and you’ll make yourself sorry!”

Rayy paused and shook her head. She had probably wasted her breath and money. The sheep would be gone within the week and she’d have a very fat Thestral that couldn’t fly on her hands. “You can’t become a pet! You hear me boy? You’re not a Crup!”

”But, you know, I can’t keep calling you ‘Boy’, it’s unseemly and it doesn’t suit you. Beauty doesn’t work either...seeing you with entrails hanging is hardly beautiful...sorry...ummmm Blackie makes you sound like a sheep, which you certainly aren’t. What about Prince?”

Rayy studied her friend carefully before shaking her head, “ummmm no, you’re far too regal for that as well....King? No, to familiar...”

By now she was close enough to almost touch, not quite daring to finish the connection. A brighter smile crossed her face as a name hit her. She’d never in her life dare to call Cal’s grandparents anything other than by their titles and the simpler honorific would be a perfect name for the Thestral. “So how do you fancy being called Majesty? You’re certainly very regal but King doesn’t really fit. If you hate it, knock me over and I’ll try to think of something else.”

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.