Hazel Baum

There's a world that was meant for our eyes to see

Hazel Baum

Hazel ran out into the back garden of the Ottaline Gambol Centre, kicking off her shoes carelessly as she did. She loved recess. Although she lived in a community where she could spend most of her time outdoors, she never tired of the feeling of nature surrounding her, of grass beneath her bare feet. Despite being in London, the garden was a nice reprieve from the indoors, and the weather was nice, albeit largely cloudy, that day. 

It all just gave Hazel an idea, though. 

Her eyes bright, she spread out on the grass, flopping down and staring up at the cloudy skies above her. “That one looks like an elephant!” Hazel declared to whoever was listening, pointing a finger up at the sky to a cloud which had a thin whiff protruding from it, appearing like the trunk of a trumpeting elephant.

If you want me to include your tag in the topic tags, please just list it at the bottom of your post and I'll add it! 💜

Allysinia Smithson

Who thought forcing them outside was a good thing? Ally had already sneezed twice and there was a very good chance the grass was out to get her. Ugh. As much as she was complaining and grumbling to herself, she actually liked the outdoors. Just didn't enjoy feeling like she had to spend time in it. The pressure was there, man. And where had Arie gotten to? The blonde turned, scanning the grounds in search of that familiar head but found her gaze settling on a girl laid out on the ground instead.

It took all of one second to realize what she was doing as she started on about the cloud looking like a elephant. "Uh huh. Maybe if your eyes are closed." Ally didn't bother to actually look at said cloud but she could just tell the girl was wrong. "You know, I'd bet there are bugs crawling into your hair right now."

tag: allycat

Edited by Allysinia Smithson

Juniper Keyes

There was something serenely picturesque about laying on the ground to imagine figures in the clouds. It was something that Juniper frequently did with her sister on the beach back home in Wales. As soon as she realized what the girl was doing, she giggled and immediately sprawled out on the ground right next to her.

"Yeah, I  see it! That's brilliant!" she laughed, eagerly looking for more shapes in the surrounding clouds. She soon became distracted with another girl mentioning something about bugs crawling in hair, which was enough for her to spring into action immediately. If there was a bug near them, she wanted to make sure she could bring it back into a safer area so that nobody would try to hurt it or be scared of it. She curiously looked around the first girl's hair, perhaps almost a little too closely. Once she was satisfied there were no bugs in the immediate vicinity, she said, "No, I don't see any bugs at all. You're safe." She turned back to the girl with the blonde hair. "Why did you say that there were probably bugs crawling in her hair? Are you afraid of them?" Her voice was filled with genuine concern. 

tag: junebug

Allysinia Smithson

“I’m not afraid of them but that doesn’t mean I’m good with them making a home in my hair, either.” She thought that should be fairly simple to understand. “And they will... keep laying like that and you’ll see.” 

Hazel Baum

Hazel smiled widely at the girl who joined her, glad that someone else could see the elephant in the clouds. “Isn’t it?” Hazel asked cheerfully, glad to have found a like-minded individual. She was about to introduce herself when the other, more surly, girl approached. Her brows drew downward, not naive enough to believe that this girl intended either of her comments in a well-meaning way, and a lance of annoyance struck through her. 

She obstinately stayed with her head in the grass for a moment, allowing the first girl to exchange a few remarks with the other before Hazel finally found her own voice. “There’s nothing wrong with bugs, in hair or not. They’re just creatures trying to live like we are. I think you need to learn how to see the fun in things,” She told the rude girl sourly, sitting up to get a good look at her, if only for a moment. 

“Me and… what’s your name?” She asked the first girl, “Were in the middle of cloud watching. You can join us, and tell us what you see, or you can keep making comments about bugs getting in our hair. Doesn’t matter to me, you choose your own adventure,” Hazel told her, pursing her lips together to express her displeasure. “And my name’s Hazel, by the way.”

Allysinia Smithson

Elephant girl was rude. 

Ally was basically saving their life. Or at the very least, hair. Maybe they were all bug friendly but housing them in their hair? Really? She’d bet all her milk and cookies that elephant girl would be whining and crying if one decided to live in there. 

And.. and..

She’d just insulted her! 

It was going too far. Saying she needed to see the fun in things, as if she didn’t know how to have fun! “Right.. because lying on the ground doing nothing makes you an expert, does it?” There were a lot more words exchanged and she believed something about her name being Hazel but  Ally couldn’t focus on it. 

She was still too angry and busy not thinking as she scooped up a fistful of dirt and twigs before chucking it at them. 

Maybe they’d get lucky and there’d be a bug in it. 

Hazel Baum

Hazel was a girl led by her emotions, who often reacted with passion and fervor simply because she didn’t know how else to act, even though she was mostly pleasant. However, as this killjoy continued her criticism, the emotions that ran through Hazel were anything but pleasant. It was a myriad of anger and hurt that passed through her veins like a whirlwind, agitating her and pushing her to call for action, even as the one nice girl who had joined her seemed to fade momentarily into the background. 

“We aren’t doing nothing, we are CLOUD WATCHING! Don’t you listen?” Hazel shouted shrilly, the recess spent beneath the cloudy sky ruined thanks to this… this… twerp! It was then that the handful of dirt hit her right in the shoulder, and even though the twigs and soil hardly hurt and merely left a dirt mark behind, Hazel still pulled herself up to standing and stomped over to the girl. 

“What in the name of Pan,” (The god of the wild in Greek mythology and an epithet Hazel was beginning to make amble use out of since she’d read about him recently,) “Do you think you’re accomplishing by throwing dirt at us? What’s the matter with you? Why can’t you just leave us alone?” Hazel’s voice was still shrill, and she was speaking loudly so that many eyes were drawn to them, but she didn’t care. She didn’t know where this girl got off doing this type of stuff, but Hazel was not here for it. 

And she wanted the girl to apologize.