Seeley Pichardo

The Burning Boat

Seeley Pichardo

TheBurningBoat 

”My dad would hate this.”  Seeley admitted to the slytherin who was beside her standing on a dock, facing out towards the inky rippling waters of the Black Lake.  The statement itself wasn’t enough to dissuade her and neither was the bottle in her hand in which a rather impressive ancient looking wooden ship floated about in dark water with a sticker on the side that read: 

DO NOT SUBMERGE”  

He’d never miss it

A flash of hesitation stalled the teenager briefly and she looked over to see if Juan had his wand handy.  “Just maybe have a shrinking charm on hand in case this doesn’t go as well as I think it well.” Then, she uncorked the end of the bottle before chucking it as far as she could into the lake.  Having a back-up plan would have probably been a good idea but it was a little late for that now.  

Thankfully, seconds later, along with a loud whoosh as water rushed down to fill the space below it, the very same ship - only much, much larger, rose out of the water and bobbed up meters out in front of them and with a clap of her hands the seventh year turned to her (possibly unwilling?) counterpart and grinned proudly.  “It worked!”

The year before had been hell. So much of a hell that Juan barely remembered much about it save for the few good memories he had and maybe getting people in trouble. But other than that, the hell that had happened with all of the chaos, still leaving the school reeling from the last time this same thing had happened… Everyone was at each other’s throats now. Juan shrugged in response to Seeley, “I think he’d get that it was necessary. What’s he gonna do anyways? Give you detention?”

Juan watched as the boat soon revealed itself to its full size, hesitantly inching towards it. It was beautiful, to say the least, but it wasn’t meant to be a beautiful sight. Or was it? While he understood the symbolic meaning behind what Seeley had suggested, he had no idea behind the customs of it, or whether or not he was meant to say it was a pretty sight.

He rolled up his sleeves, wand in hand, “Shrinking charm didn’t seem completely necessary if you ask me. Not that you did. But I’m letting you know because my opinion is obviously always needed.” He frowned. Even his usual banter with Seeley felt… weird. Maybe it had to do with the fact that he was officially trying his best to not be a nuisance, or maybe it was just that he no longer believed his words held any value. This sucked.

“What now?” he asked, expectant eyes in her direction.

Detention with her Dad? That was a thought.  One that caused Seeley to blink excessively long as she imagined how that impressive staredown would go.  

“I meant if it got too big.” Seeley explained.  “I’ve never actually done that before so I didn’t really know how it was gonna go.” That admission was only safe to reveal now that everything had panned out just fine.  Her arms folded across her chest and she admired the bobbing craft for a minute.  

What now?  Well, the dock needed to be just a smidge longer so people could reach the ship easier and that forest troll sizes stack of flyers she’d spent hours the night before duplicating needed to be charmed to the corridor walls.  But, first things first, the hufflepuff backtracked down the dock and bent over to reach into her bag, pulling out a hufflepuff quidditch sweatshirt that was twice her size and walked back to the edge.   

“What are you tossing on?” She asked Juan quietly, without much explanation for the object in her own hands.  A wave of her wand later there was a bundle of yellow and black levitating through the air and dropping solidly out of view onto the deck of the ship.  

please wait for Juan to post ❤️ 

Edited by Seeley Pichardo

Juan Garcia

Got too big? Juan nearly snickered at the opportunity of making a terribly timed joke until he remembered he was supposed to be an example. He took this very seriously, okay?

“Well, I would’ve always been down to set Santiago’s boat on fire. Preferably while he was on it,” Juan grumbled, still not over the fact that the stupid professor had refused to acknowledge his potions prowess and had basically deemed him NOT superior at the one subject he had always excelled in. Whatever Santiago.

He didn’t expect Seeley to pull out a Quidditch sweatshirt, but when she did, he remembered the initial suggestion had been to burn things… to burn the bad memories. Juan looked at the boat, staring at the Quidditch sweatshirt as it bobbed up and down along with the boat, “Nothing. I think we are a product of everything that happens, good and bad. So… Yeah I get it it’s just metaph… metaphtistical… metaphysical? Metaphical… But also like… I don’t really want to toss anything. I’m gonna be better than I was. So... “ He reached up to his head and held it out while he used a severing charm to cut through a lock, “There. The old me. Is that better?”

Burning Santiago’s boat would have gotten her into a world of trouble.  Both of them really but her on multiple fronts. She wouldn’t have just had to hear about it at school but she would have had to hear about it at home too.  Ugh, why did her dad have to have friends?

“Metaphorical.” Seeley supplied, interrupting briefly when the slytherin couldn’t seem to pick out the right word, and she smiled.  She wished she could subscribe to the theory he was putting out, she wanted to say she agreed but she couldn’t seem to fully let go of the hurt and so this endeavor was as much for her own healing as it was for anyone else’s.  She wasn’t going to force Juan to offer up anything though she did appreciate it when he did and as he took to levitating his severed locks towards the boat she headed back to her bag and split the stack of flyers in half to divvy out to him.  

“I can finish up the dock if you want to get started on these.” She said, holding them out.  “Maybe we can meet up sometime tomorrow to figure out what we want to say when everyone gets together?” They would have to pencil in time for prefects to walk by and make sure nothing sketchy was happening down by the boat too but she wasn’t going to bring that up now.  “Sound good?” Her wand was already lifting again in the direction of the dock as she glanced sideways to smile at Juan again for his thoughts.

Metaphorical. Ugh, he hated that word. Juan shook his hair, letting the extra severed strands of hair fall loose. He didn’t need random bits of hair falling out when he was, say, locking lips with Havana Towne.

Juan didn’t offer much in terms of a reply as he saw the posters that she handed him. She’d really gone all out on this and he was just here, taking half the credit for just existing. Sometimes that was how everything felt…

“Uuuuh if we place up posters on this, won’t someone be well aware of the fact we’re burning something pretty huge on the lake? I know that technically speaking that’s not breaking a rule, but it should basically go without saying ‘don’t burn large objects on the lake,’ right?” he said, flipping the posters back and forth before he gave a shrug and decided that he didn’t care enough about getting in trouble to not go through with this. After all, he had a reputation to keep up. Hadn’t he been the first year with the most detentions?

“I’ll see you around, Seels,” he said, offering her a hug before he went off on his merry way. Merlin knew she needed all the hugs in the world.

-  -  - information -  -  -

Welcome to The Burning Boat
A chance (metaphorically at least) to start this year off fresh!

Posters have been hung up around the castle advertising the boat on the lake.

Post here adding your unwanted mementos

Random post #’s will earn prizes from us by chance (or if we just happen to feel inspired by your offerings)

▹ Approximately one week from today we will post part two - inviting everyone to join us lake-side as we light it up! 
_,.Because what’s a celebration without a bonfire? 

-  -  -  -  -

Edited by Juan Garcia

Ollie Celeste

‘You can’t go around burning people Ollie’ @Seeley Pichardo had said in the tired manner only someone who had grown up around @Havana Towne could. Their year must have been totally indifferent to flammability given the actions of the Slytherin and clearly setting fire to things was still their go to method of dealing with their problems. Ollie was more than happy to indulge with this burning boat lark while making a statement WHILE technically adhering to the rules. 

Enter: the effigy of @Juan Garcia she had made out of pillows and dungbombs. He was also wearing @Dax Gordon's sunnies because the whole two birds, one stone thing.

“It isn’t just about Juan, he merely symbolizes all of the bad decisions Hogwarts has made. If anything I’m attacking the system more so than I am attacking him,” Ollie smiled, believing she had done a wonderful job of covering her own back. But to be doubly safe she tossed dungbomb!juan onto the ship before too many people could accuse her of bullying or inciting violence or whatever. Unfortunately for everyone, she had used a lot of dungbombs.....

Cue bubble-head charm.

Aggie Price

When Aggie first heard of @Seeley Pichardo's idea of a burning boat, she thought it would never actually happen.  Who'd let students set a boat on fire on the lake and burn things?  Apparently, Hogwarts would and that did not seem to surprise the sixth year.  At first, Aggie did not think she'd participate as she could not really think of anything she wanted to burn, to get rid of.  

But then, one night not long after returning to school, she reached into her trunk and found the parcel that she had wrapped up tight and shoved in the bottom of her trunk during the previous school year.  It was one of her uniform.  This one was shredded and torn and blood stained.  After being treated for her wounds, she had not thrown it out but yet not really wanted to see it so she had bundled it up in brown paper and shoved it in the trunk

So that evening, Aggie made her way to the lake where the boat now stood.  Walking out on the dock, she pitched the uniform onto the boat.

Harlan Starke

When Harlan heard of the burning party, he brushed the idea off to the side. He had nothing he would want to leave behind - he was 11 and everything he had touched had sentimental value of some kind.

However, he managed to dig up an old watch that was made of newspaper and various bits and bobs, and decided that would be something worthwhile to burn on a ship... in the middle of a lake. What was the fun of knowing the time besides being 5 minutes early to class? That's right - there was none! If he really wanted to know, he could ask his friends. There was probably a spell to project the time in glittery neon dust that had been invented before.

Harlan made his way down to the lake from the castle. It was only the middle of September, but he felt like he had been at Hogwarts for many months. Harlan needed something refreshing to put his mind in a better mindset. As he walked across the dock, he glanced back at the castle, just for a moment. He placed his watch gently on the boat, and then meandered back to dry land. He was glad he'd come to Hogwarts.

Clarissa Perenge

When Clarissa heard about this party, she felt it was the perfect time to finally release her old self. She didn't have an old object of hers to throw into the lake, but instead, she'd written every wrong thing she'd done from a young age to other people. She expected she would fill out half a piece of parchment, but the time she was done, she'd filled out at least three feet of parchment. She was a small writer too. She stared in disbelief at the long piece of parchment. Had she really done all of that?

She read through everything she wrote wondering if she'd repeated some things. She'd started from her earliest memory of deliberately hurting someone (Alyssa) to the end of third year, when she'd still had some outbursts. She'd added things to the bottom when she remembered something, so she was sure she had to have repeated something. However, a quick read through told her that she hadn't repeated anything.

"Was I really that bad?" She'd wondered aloud.

Now she was on her way to the lake to toss it on the boat. She thought it was symbolic that she was burning her oldself away, and she supposed it was why the Head Boy and Girl decided to do this. She looked around to find Alyssa. She knew her former best friend was a prefect, so there was a chance she was here. Chances are, Alyssa would need to go to most of these events. Clarissa was hoping to talk to her if she did. She wanted to apologize to Alyssa with a real apology. Maybe they couldn't be best friends again, but all she wanted to do was at least apologize. She wanted to explain everything to her old best friend. None of it justified her actions, but she hoped if she could get Alyssa to understand, maybe the other girl would understand.

Clarissa stood on the edge and took a deep breath before tossing the rolled up parchment onto the boat. There. The old Clarissa was gone. It was now time to work on being a better person.

Edited by Clarissa Perenge

Atticus Barnes

Ever since the first round of posters that advertised the burning boat went up around the school, Atticus had contemplated whether or not she should bring something to put on the boat. Atticus wasn't haunted with much having lived a pretty great life up until now with her mother, but there was still something that stood out to Atticus when she saw the posters. 

Somewhere deep in her trunk was a Slytherin sweater, one that was a bit dated and if not for the faded colors, could pass for one of Atticus's new ones. While her stepmother had given Atticus the sweater as an item meant to comfort her, the sweater itself only served as an uncomfortable reminder of her father's legacy that Atticus was meant to follow. 

The legacy that served as the only way for Atticus to make her father proud, to earn Atticus a spot on the list of people Adrien Barnes respected. The legacy had been something that Atticus wanted to follow, but the longer Atticus stayed at Hogwarts, the more she realized that it wasn't what she wanted anymore. There was no denying that the idea of Adrien's legacy was what motivated Atticus from the moment she got her acceptance letter to the moment she was sorted into Slytherin during the sorting ceremony. Between then and now though, something had definitely changed. Atticus wanted to make her own story for her time at Hogwarts. 

Besides, it wasn't like her father would miss the sweater. Atticus didn't even think that he knew that Georgia knew about the sweater, nevertheless that she had given the sweater to Atticus before they dropped her off at the Kings Crossing. It was hers now and Atticus could do whatever she pleased with it, right?

Her reasoning behind burning the sweater was that if it was destroyed, Atticus might feel a bit freer and less attached to the legacy she was meant to follow. And with the found freedom, Atticus would be able to start her own story, completely separate from the one that Adrien Barnes wrote during his years at Hogwarts. 

So, with no further thinking, Atticus walked herself from the Dungeons to the lake where the activities were about to begin. She recognized some of the students there, like Harlene and some others, but a lot more she didn't know. She wouldn't have to explain to her friends why she was doing what she was because they weren't there to witness her actions. That alone gave her the final push to finish what she started. Atticus placed the sweater onto a free spot on the boat and went a safe enough distance away so she could watch the rest of what was to come. 

Dax Gordon

Dax was perfect as he was, as he had been, as he always would be. There wasn't anything he wanted to burn in the name of a fresh start or anything as dramatic as shedding the past or whatever else some of these other losers were likely on about. Instead, he was taking his as an opportunity to get rid of evidence that could come back and bite him one day. That, and spite.

In one hand, he held the remnants of @Rowan Allard's heeleys that he'd shred in second year and a hand-full of items nicked from the boys' dorms—sorry dudes, not sorry—and, in the other, was a handful of leprechaun's gold and good, old-fashioned muggle fireworks that had been stewing in the bottom of his trunk since Jak gave them to him first year. The fireworks, at the very least, might make things interesting; the rest, he just didn't want as incriminating evidence in the future.

Also, also, it was incredibly important that he partake in burning a boat; how better to piss off Santiago and Piccolo Senior in one fell swoop? The only way to make it better was if he could somehow manage to get @Seeley Pichardo herself on that boat once in went up in flames...

The very thought had Dax smiling serenely as he tossed his items onto the boat with the others. Wait—

"Are those my sunnies?"

Flacking @Ollie Celeste

Simon Reed

He wouldn't have shown up had it not been for @Aurora Andrews's sage advice. 

Something about letting go, starting fresh... yes, he was going to be one of those losers' that @Dax Gordon so fondly liked to make fun of, but at this point if tossing his two-way mirror into the boat and lighting it aflame would help him move one--he needed to try. The Ravenclaw opened the device one more time, pathetically hoping that a familiar face would be looking back at him through the glass and asking for some sort of reconciliation, but only found his own reflection sadly staring back. He rolled his eyes at himself and carelessly dropped the silver mirror among the other discarded possessions and began backing away.  

"I hope you're right..." he murmured, linking his arm with that of the petite red head's and leading her towards the lawn to look for a prime spot to watch the activities from. 

Atticus Barnes

Atticus watched as the familiar Ravenclaw went up to the boat and deposited something tiny and silver. She honestly had no idea what the object was from where she was, but she definitely could see the way that the particular object affected the boy. It had to of been of some importance for him to bring it to the burning boat extravaganza and to look at it with such a torn expression. 

Digging around in her pockets, Atticus felt around for a particular crystal she often kept in her company. Once her fingers enclosed around the familiar rough, but somehow still smooth, feel of the rose quartz, she pulled her hand from her pocket and grinned. Atticus didn't want to seem like a Nosey Nellie, but if he really wanted a re-start, a chance to dispell the brokenness inside, then maybe she could help by giving him one of her most prized crystals. Plus, she could just go and find another to replace it. 

She approached @Simon Reed and his friend slowly, but still loud enough to announce them of her presence. Her crocs squeaked loud enough to alert anyone after all. "Simon, right? I, uh, I have something for you." Atticus held out her hand, palm up with the quartz resting in the middle. She was sure she must look crazy, going up to a guy she paid to take her and Charlie's rat on a date, and offering him a silly little rock.

"I hope this doesn't come off as odd, but it probably will. This is rose quartz. It's one of my favorites, but you look like you need it way more than I do." Atticus could go on a tangent about what rose quartz does and its healing properties, but she would leave that for the boy to figure out. Now wasn't necessarily the right time to distract him from doing what he came to the lake to do. 

Adrina Althaus-Valerio

The posters for the boat had been charmed up all over the walls of the castle and at first, seeing posters on the corridor walls in general had made Addy cringe, until she actually stopped to read one of them, tugging on @Jaxon Sinclair's hand and pointing it out.  The year before had no shortage of memories to get rid of, as well as some she absolutely wanted to keep, but she offered a soft smile in Jack's direction and shrugged.  

"It doesn't change anything, I know, but I can think of something I wouldn't mind burning, can't you?"  Her eyebrows arched with the question as she waited for an answer.  An answer did come and eventually they were standing in front of the massive boat on a creaking dock.  Adrina had dug down deep in the bottom of her wardrobe to find a torn piece of one of the banners that had hung over the quidditch pitch the year before.  She'd been in a rush to get away after the game had been over but a few days later when the team had come back to practice there had been shreds of them littering the stands and her name had still stood out on one of the pieces.   

She'd taken it and now she was more than ready to watch it go up in flames.   

Standing next to Jack, she unfolded it and glanced uneasy at him before she finally went through with levitating it onto the boat.  

Jaxon Sinclair

There were a lot of things that Jack wanted to burn.  Wolfsbane, for one, was waaaay up there at the top of the list, if only for the vile flavor of it and the way it stuck to the inside of his mouth.  It was still stuck there, like it burrowed into the crevices of his teeth, and no matter how hard he ran his tongue over them or sucked on them, the sticky, greyish-blue stuff remained, bitter and thick along the sides of his tongue.

Also, the posters that had popped up around the school the year before...he wouldn't have minded burning those, @Ryan Dorland-Nece's hair, and @Maggie Sinclair's dreaded unicorn onesie.  

...and the video proof that @Adam Sinclair possessed of the...incident over the summer.

"You kept a piece of the quidditch banner?" he asked as she took it out, levitating it toward the fire.  "Should have flushed that down a toilet last year."  It belonged in the sewers, anyway.  So, too, did the book that Jack produced from his bag.  The school's very own copy of Professor Picardy's Lupine Lawlessness: Why Lycanthropes Do Not Deserve to Live was held aloft in his hand and he dropped it unceremoniously onto the dirt before he levitated it toward the fire as well.

After a moment, he tacked on:  "Too bad we can't put people on it.  There are a few that deserve to end like a witch hunt."

Nico Pichardo

Had nothing to burn but wanted to watch the flames which is why he flopped down.

Edited by Nico Pichardo

Viola Merryweather

Viola wasn't sure what she was doing there but something about burning an unwanted memento was cathartic even for a young first year.  She had thought long and hard about what to bring, like most first years, she had packed everything she needed and a few mementoes, as it was her first time living away from home. 

She watched her friend @Harlan Starke place something in the boat and she smiled at him as he passed by her. She wondered what it was he had placed in the boat as she walked over to the boat herself and placed a piece of paper in the boat, it seemed like nothing but it was actually one her father's notes of which she had many. She helped him in his work all the time so he often left her notes with what he needs help with and also an encouraging message with something like he loved her or something he thought she would find interesting. 

She took a deep breath, looked at the paper and then stepped away. She had others, she didn't need that one. It wasn't like it was one of her mother's possessions which were left to Viola before she passed. 

Astrid Cahill

Astrid held up the letter her mum had tried to convince her was from her dad. As if she was meant to believe after all this time he'd suddenly developed interest. It was kind of sad when she thought about how her mum must have worked on it but... in it went. Stupid thing. She didn't want to think about it, she'd spent too many nights with tears in her eyes over it so.

Good riddance.

Pali Dotchev

Pali had seen the posters up for this whole burning boat thing. At first she thought it would have been fun to just go along with a few snacks and sit on a cosy blanket on the grass and just watch the little burning boats float out into the lake a la a viking funeral. That would have been fun. She didn't have anything to burn and let go of. Nothing physical anyway that she could show off to other people. 

The more she thought about it, the more she did have things to let go of though. It was nothing physical, but ti was something serious all the same. 

Once she had started writing on scraps of old parchment in her variety of different coloured gel pens, she had really gone to town. The collection of notes to various people were tucked into the pocket of her jeans as she made her way down to the lakefront. As she walked she had to continually push up the too-long sleeves of the Durmstang Quid Jersey she proudly wore. As she stood at the edge of the group who were all depositing their various physical items she suddenly felt a bit conscious. Touching her dominant hand up to her hair she touched it nervously, bright eyes darting around to everyone who stood there. 

As they settled on @Jaxon Sinclair she decided it was time to pull the collection of notes out of her pocket. Writing the notes had mentally been a good exercise. Getting the anger and resentment out onto paper had been good. It was a way to let them all go. The longest one belonged to Jack. No more would she glare at him and his dumb friends, but instead now she's just ignore them. For her own well being. 

As she pulled the bundle out of her pocket she was glad she had put them all together in a sealed envelope. It didn't seem like things were actually getting burned today. The safety of the envelope meant people weren't going to get to read them. Good. She didn't need that. After carefully setting down the blank white envelope in the pile of trinkets, she stepped back now surveying the grass for anyone she knew. Eyes quickly landed on @Nico Pichardo and she made her way over to  him, plonking herself down beside him on the grass, tucking her knees into her chest. With that a mix of emotion washed over her as she gave her friend a small smile. 

"hi Nico"

Faye Danvers

The whole idea of throwing things into a boat to be burned was an interesting concept for the blonde but as someone who had nothing she wanted to burn she only made her way down to the lake because she figured the whole thing would make for some really cool shots. So camera in hand, she caught sight of @Nico Pichardo and @Pali Dotchev and flopped down next to them.

"Should be a good shot fam."

Robin Corelli-Rose

His first thought, when he learned about the boat to be burned, was to dredge up Roro the Scarecrow from under his bed and toss him - no, it - away to be consumed in the flames. It was a quick thought, and practical, for the doll had lived under his bed all of last year and half the one before that, forgotten. It had outlived its usefulness.

When Robin peered under the bed, however, he found Roro tucked into the corner farthest from his position, and he got the distinct impression that it was looking back at him. Robin frowned and moved around to that side, hesitated... and quickly squatted.

Blinking at the shadowy, dusty shape of the doll, he realized, in the falling beat of his heart, that he had almost expected to, implausibly, discover Roro on the other side of the bed yet again - on the side he’d just come around from. More reason to burn, that feeling, Robin thought, dragging the doll out. It won’t ever go bump in the night again - or at least, Robin could be sure that whatever did bump, wouldn’t have been Roro.

He stared at its shoe-lace hole eyes, though, the stitched, flat mouth, the rough and uneven sutures that reattached the head to the body (Robin had as little an idea who had done it, for it wasn’t him, as he had for who had created the reason for it to have been done in the first place)— that face turned towards him, scarless, unlike him, and the body trapped in the height and shape he had been in his First Year... The doll had been a simple idea, one part of a third, just like him, and Addison Toft had executed it marvellously. But maybe whatever bit of strange magic he possessed had been soaked up by the doll over the years, because Robin could not deny that Roro was unnerving in a way that wasn’t physical at all.

He realized, with a chill, that he had come to think of it as a neighbour he couldn’t do anything about - a neighbour that was as much a part of him as anything; neighbour and reminder.

And with that - and a flood of shame and regret - Robin deliberately pushed Roro back under the bed and the doll became an individual in his head again.

But he was still curious, and so, empty-handed, Robin made his way to the lakeshore.

Truthfully, most of everything that had significance to him - bonds that he felt strongly enough about - were intangible, things he could only imagine balling up and throwing in an arc into the boat, if he wanted to be rid of them. Even of those there were only a few things he hadn’t wanted initially, but eventually, after carrying their weight, had grown to accept about himself. Even that dark little smudge he’d catch every now and then, just outside his peripheral vision, more a feeling of existence, than anything more. He’d never be able to move quick enough, he knew, to capture the essence of it, had he even wanted to.

As for the physical, touchable things? Not important enough - not to him - to throw away to be cleansed by fire. He didn’t keep things that weren’t important, anyway.

So he stood, and stared, and thought that, after last year, the eventual pyre of everyone’s anxieties and sorrows was an auspicious start to the year. He could almost see the shadow of that mass stacked above the lumps and formless shapes of those of corporal quality.

Adam Sinclair

Where there was smoke, there was fire. And where there was fire, Adam Sinclair could usually be expected to turn up and take advantage of the chaos for his own ends. That, or be off to the side filming the mayhem or leaving his good buddy @Nathaniel Frost to debut as an indie director while he uh...well, maybe did a few very terrible and most definitely illegal things...like light a fire under the arse of one @Jacqueline Frost

But, real talk: was it really illegal to set your best friends sister on fire as a preemptive measure to having your face ground and turned into people burrito? Adam certainly didn't think so, which was part of the reason for his haphazard 'incendio' at the girls socks. "Make sure you've got nightmode on!" he called to Nate. "It'll make the orange glow pop."

Josie Potter

Josie made her way down to the boat and stared for a long while.  She had something to burn but she didn't know how to just 'throw it on the boat' and let it burn.  How do you throw a wall onto a boat?  Not a literal wall but the figurative one that had seemed to come between two people that were important to her.  The wall that now stood between her older brother, @Desmond Potter and his former girlfriend,.@Seeley Pichardo.  Maybe they'd never be a couple again but right now that wall seemed to be keeping her away from both of them and the awkward silences between the two.  She was missing both of them.  

Jacqueline Frost

Jack was late to the party as usual — she wasn't sorry she was late she didn't want to be here — but the promise of fire and burning things to the ground meant that she had to go lest @Nathaniel Frost (and by extension the real brains of the operation behind the Tesco version of Pinky and the Brain: @Adam Sinclair) burned down the castle. Not that she cared for the school — she didn't, all it could offer her was wolfsbane (and was it really the worst thing in the world if she just didn't take it????) — but if she wanted to take over the world there needed to be a world left to take over. 

Adamate needed to be kept in check. 

At first when she smelled smoke she figured someone had been overeager to start roasting marshmallows but there was no sight of that (yet) and no first years singing campfire songs. "FLACKING FLACK!" Jack swore as she realized the fire was on her and she muttered a quick shower charm before she scanned the area for the culprit. It was unnecessary to ask who was responsible for this — she knew. It was all Satan's fault obviously and Satan today showed up in the form of an amateur director and a future Azkaban inmate. 

"Adam!" Jack hissed. "You're dead, now." And perhaps for once, Nate hadn't done anything but that didn't matter when Jack was quickly sending a Lightning Hex in his direction. This activity was supposed to be about getting rid of the negativity in their lives, but so far the only negativity was Adam's existence and Nate's return from the grave and she wasn't here for that. 😡

Edited by Jacqueline Frost

Desmond Potter

He waited until there wasn't anyone around, no one was around and threw in the broken two way mirror that he had. It wasn't like he needed ti at this moment in time and not that anyone would care. Desmond was sure that he would be able to fix it, but he knew that he didn't want to talk to @Seeley Pichardo at any moment on it and there was no need to have it just hanging our reminding him of things that he didn't want to be reminded of. 

Seeley Pichardo

TheBurningBoat 
a f l a m e

A week or so had gone by and the deck of the boat on the lake was now littered with random objects that the denizens of Hogwarts had deemed castaways.  Things they wanted out of their lives. Brown eyes passed over the sweatshirt she’d thrown there and she notices a tattered and stained uniform nearby. She wasn’t surprised to see a lot of unwanted things that were surely memories of that night cast along the wood.  

Noises of lots of voices began to filter across the lawn, and Seeley turned to Juan, eyes lingering for just a second too long below his eyes before meeting them as she wished she had spent more time preparing for this then doing other things.  “Finally glad I put time into learning one of those fire elementals, I’m not sure my lightning could have cut it.” She mused out loud.  

“Although I guess we’d have found some way to heat it up.” She added with a small smirk.”   

Juan hadn’t exactly been paying attention to the goings-on around Hogwarts, which was probably somewhat problematic, as he was… head boy. Still, the fact remained that he had agreed to the whole ‘casting off bad juju’ with Seeley, and given everything that had followed, he supposed this was the least he could do.

He watched as the lawns began to fill with people and Juan began to wonder if everyone here was actually trying to be all… letting-go-y. He supposed he should’ve done SOMETHING to Ollie for having made a literal effigy of him to burn, but he couldn’t even muster up the energy. The exhaustion of preparing for NEWTs, nightly patrols, and staying up most nights for… keeping company.

“If you couldn’t, I would’ve done it. Could’ve even asked Havana. That’s her specialty,” he said as an afterthought before immediately regretting mentioning her name. While they’d been snogging buds throughout the year, they’d never actually committed to anything, and now, just suddenly ignoring her, it was sure to come bite him in the arse.

“So…” he said, staring at Seeley a bit longer than he might’ve intended, “What do we do now?”

”I’ll be able to do it.” Seeley frowned.  “Just, ugh… Don’t invite that witch anywhere near here.” Or her wand might slip and find it’s way towards a spell of the lightning variety anyway.  Those words were for Juan alone and she said them as she looked out from where they stood on the dock at the growing group of students.  

The last thoughts on Seeley’s mind we’re of anything that involved Juan and the slytherin witch and that was probably for the best.  

“Soooo… Now you stop staring at me and get ready to give that speech you wanted to come off the cuff with because I never…” her eyes landed on his lips briefly and then back to his “... got around to writing anything down.”  The blonde cleared her throat and looked away from him as she lifted her wand and shot off spells towards two torches, illuminating the dock better.  

Students inched closer and the boat lurched behind them, water lapping at the wood.  There was really no going back now. Aiming her wand at herself, her voice was soon far louder then normal volume as she addressed the crowd. 

“Hello and thanks everyone for coming out tonight and taking part in what we’ve come to do tonight.  If anyone has anything last minute they’d like to throw onto the boat, best to bring it up now before we get started.” 

And then she stepped back… It was good to share the spotlight anyway, right?

Juan Garcia

He smirked sheepishly once Seeley called to attention the fact that he’d been staring at her. However, he was also quick to note her eyes weren’t exactly on his either. “Some people might consider it rude for you not to look at them when you speak,” he murmured before turning back to the scribbled ink on his palms.

Seeley’s voice rang out, louder than it should’ve, and he needed to hide the weird smile on his face as he thought of the fact that this was probably going to be frowned upon by the higher-ups. They were BURNING something. If they got in trouble… Well, he’d offered to take the fall for Seeley, but with her having opened the conversation just now, he was sure they were both about to be implicated for arson.

Oh well.

He waited for stragglers to toss whatever else they had in their hands before opting out of amplifying his voice and simply being his loud self. He was Mexican. His inside voice was a normal outdoor voice. Now people got the luxury of hearing his outside voice.

“As you all know, this past year was difficult. Emotionally, physically… We were all torn down in some way or another. Some of us might have lost friendships, relationships have been hurt, and I’m sure we can all feel a cloud hanging over us,” he said, staring at the five little splotches on his palm. Five words.

Lost. Memories. Burn. New. Future. 

Why hadn’t he given himself more notes?

“This past year will definitely be leaving us with more memories we wish we could escape. But with each loss, we gain experience and we become stronger. We slowly shape into more of what we are meant to be,” he said, feeling his heart begin to pound a little stronger in his chest. Public speaking wasn’t an issue. Being honest? Oh yeah.

“This boat,” he motioned, “Carries negative memories of last year, anything that we want to let go. We let go of these things so we can grow. So we can move on. Let the flames guide us to a brighter tomorrow.”

And with that, he turned to Seeley, “Tag. You’re it.”

”I was looking at a piece of you.” She shrugged.  Where was the lie? And then they were off, tending to the actual work they were supposed to be out here getting done with the mass staring up and gathered in front of them.  Seeley ushered a few stragglers a safe distance from the boat and helped get their things tossed on before sending them back and then nodded to Juan to start talking.  

Standing by, she felt an uncomfortable heat creep into the back of her brain as he mentioned lost relationships, and her reaction was to search the crowd for Desmond, but she stopped herself and inched a step closer to the slytherin instead and lifted her chin higher.  Stronger.  

She had every intention of becoming just that.  Stepping forward and this idea was just as symbolic to her as she hoped it would be for anyone else that chose to participate.  Brown eyes were unfocused over the group when Juan turned to her suddenly and she was surprised, but broke into a small smile and recovered quickly, pulling out her wand.  

Along with the boat, she had also “borrowed” a collection of flint firewinks from @Ollie Celeste to up the fire power.  Seeley levitated the coverings off of the boxes at the grassy end of the dock then and grinned.   

“So NOW let’s get to what we all came here for.  There are some firewinks in the boxes, feel free to grab one if you aren’t capable with a proper elemental and AIM IT AT THE BOAT ONLY!”  She shot looks at certain students (namely @Adam Sinclair and his suspicious looking friend that seemed too excited) and then she turned to face the boat.  

Seeley lifted her own wand.  “Fragor lucis!” A flurry of fireworks burst into the air and rained down over the boat, sparking on the wood and she smiled.   

-  -  -  -  -

Let’s light this up!   You can now post casting fire related spells at the boat or throwing a FLINT Firewinks* (provided courtesy of your Head Girl) to get this boat burning!   

*FLINT FirewinksTM  burn the hottest of all, unleashing semi-literal lava, which coats skin and clothing, dries, and cracks like lava. It's hot, sure, but maybe it's also kind of therapeutic? (It is STRONGLY RECOMMENDED AND/OR TOTALLY NECESSARY to have a Mediwitch or Wizard on hand when handling Obsidian FirewinksTM.)

Edited by Juan Garcia

Adam Sinclair

Adam would always be grateful to his best buddy @Nathaniel Frost for taking one for the team. (sorry fam, ilu <3) Because it was that, or eternally seethe with rage for him where he pretended to be his friend, while low key actively ruining his life. Why? Because how do you forgive a bloke who got you pwnd to death in the face of having been given the explicit permission to light this flacker up?! You didn't, so really, Nate had saved their friendship while Adam had dove out of the way as his hell beast of a sister lit his very soul on fire, skinning a layer off his knee from the way the linen of his pants caught at the wood of the dock.

The sting was immediate, but Adam didn't care. He was alive, and Nate too for the most part. ( They wouldn't really let someone actually be killed on school grounds, right?) So he'd cackled at his own good fortune and stared over at their heads, glad he'd had the forethought to not only bring his little device, but had been streaming his own would be assassination from inside his own pocket. He turned his viewers attention now to the super awkward eye-snogging going on with @Juan Garcia and @Seeley Pichardo and gagged with extreme prejudice.

"MY PARENTS DIDN'T SIGN ANY FORMS FOR THIS! I'M TRAUMATIZED AND NEED A BLANKET!" But then the boat kind of started to smolder and Adam didn't care anymore about the views. He could cast fire and nobody would be in their feelings about it. He'd be free of lectures he didn't even actually listen to, and threats of being sent away to correctional schools. How awesome was that?

The answer is very. It was very awesome.

"...Incendio!"  ...That one had kind of gone wide. 😁 Oh well. He was SO gonna give Nate his families Tesco bag of Tesco bags for this if he made it.

Edited by Adam Sinclair
100th post, wut.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.