Jerome Chan

Free Asian Food!!

Jerome Chan

Jerome was never the most ougoing of people. He was confident in himself, sure, but he never really spoke much to people unless there was a point to it. Maybe it was part of the more conservative culture he was raised in, but in where he was from, people kept to themselves. And children would never be doing what he was about to do. Leader of the Asian Student Association? He would never have imagined doing something like that back in his home. Then again, his home was in Asia, so a club like that would mean the whole country - the whole continent even. A club like that would be impossible to manage. But the point was, he was nervous. Would people even show up? Or be interested? He hoped so. He liked it when people were interested in his culture, and any excuse to eat Asian food was an amazing chance in his eyes. He smiled at the thought and popped a dumpling into his mouth.

He eyed the array of snacks laying along the length of the table. It spanned many many different cuisines - from sushi and takoyaki, to kimchi pancake and Korean fried chicken, to naans and samosas, to ambon honeycomb cakes and fried tempeh crackers, to sweet chilli tofu and mango sticky rice, and of course there was a selection of snacks from his own country, such as spring rolls and filled buns and cheong fun. Not to mention, plates, napkins, forks and chopsticks if anyone was interested in using them.

"Free Asian food!" he said to anyone who passed him. "As part of the Asian Student Association, come on and try some snacks and street food from the largest continent on the planet. Korean, Indian, Malaysian, Chinese - if it's in Asia, there's probably something from that country here."

Theodora Valiant

Theodora was headed towards the Slytherin house table, as had become her daily routine for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The food at Hogwarts was so delicious and plentiful, one could easily become satisfied- even grow fat on it. Sudoku puzzle clutched in hand, Theo walked passed each other house table on the way to her destination, when she heardba voice calling out from the Hufflepuff section.  

"Freeeeeee Asian foooood!"

Theo halted and performed a brisk 180. Cheerful as ever a puff could be, she spotted an Asian student with quite the spread laid out before him. He hadn't seemed to have garnered too much interest yet, but that didn't stop Theodora from having a look. She absolutely adored trying new and different foods, it was part of the American way! Or so that was what her dad had always been telling her. She went to greet the boy. 

"Hiya! What have you got for dumplings? Is this all sorts of different Asian food then?" Theo had missed his last comment, where he had indeed explained that the food was allocated from all over Asia. 

Jerome Chan

"That's right, food from China, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Indonesia, Vietnam, Thailand, India, Sri Lanka and more," Jerome replied politely to @Theodora Valiant. "Dumplings...we have some steamed ones and fried ones of Chinese origin. There are gyozas from Japan and mandus from Korea, too. Not exactly dumplings but there are some Indian samosas and Vietnamese spring rolls." Then, remembering he hadn't introduced himself yet, he said, "My name is Jerome. I am the leader of the Asian Students Association here in Hogwarts. What's your name?"

Richard Stafford

“Can I try some?” Ringo was a fan of most foods.

Jack Dare

"Ooh! Dim Sum! I love dim sum!" Jack exclaimed. Jack's taste in food was fairly broad as his family traveled a lot. "Do you have those sesame balls with the red bean paste? I'm quite fond of those."

Jerome Chan

"Of course!" he said to @Richard Stafford. "Help yourself. There are a lot to choose from so feel free to ask if you have any questions about any of the food." He shot a smile to the young Ravenclaw. "You're in my class, right? What's your name?" Jerome recalled hearing it before but he would rather ask than guess wrongly.

When @Jack Dare approached, Jerome smiled hello to him. "Hi Jack! You have good taste," he said in approval. Dim sum really was so amazing. "You mean jian diu!" Jerome pointed to a plate of fried dough balls covered in sesame seeds. "These ones are red bean, but there are some lotus seed paste ones too. My cousins from Hong Kong love these a lot, along with the sweet baos that you can find here." He shifted his finger to point at the selection of steamed, white balls of bread. He loved really loved baos a lot.

Richard Stafford

“I’m Ringo. Nice to meet you, mate,” he said to the Hufflepuff boy who was giving out free food, stuffing said free food into his mouth. “What’s your name?”

But what it really came out sounding like was: “Whas cur nam?”

Grace Mann

A couple of years ago, Grace's dad had a business trip to Kuala Lumpur and he decided to take his family along. She didn't remember much in terms of sights but what she remembered most fondly from the trip was the food. Malaysia had been like a wonderland of delicious food and Grace had cried when she returned to Sunderland to discover that there were no Malaysian restaurants near her. English food was so tragic compared to the flavor explosion that was Malaysian food. It was tough for her, ok?

So, she wasn't sure if she was dreaming the massive Asian food spread in the Great Hall. The Ravenclaw immediately beelined to a section with familiar-looking dishes and savored the sight. There was everything she remembered from her trip - laksa, rojak, nasi lemak, mee goreng, and most importantly, roti canai!

"Who made all of this? Can you arrange for something like this at each meal?"

Grace then immediately proceeded to stuff her face without waiting for an answer.

ooc: ugh you suck now I'm craving msia food irl and the nearest msia restaurant is 30 minutes away wahhhh

Jerome Chan

"Ringo. Nice to meet you, I'm Jerome," he replied to @Richard Stafford, feeling very happy that Ringo was enjoying the food. It made him happy when people enjoyed the food from his part of the world.

His smile grew even wider when @Grace Mann approached, aiming straight for the Malaysian section. That was a wise choice. Malaysian food was almost like a fusion between Chinese, Indonesian and Indian, along with its own flavour and culture infused into it. It was similar to Singaporean food, but also very different in a way. Personally some foods were a bit too spicy for a South-eastern Chinese like him, but it was definitely tasty! "It sort of came together with the help of the kitchen elves and my parents sending some stuff over," he replied. "I don't know if we can have all of this food for every meal, but if we talk to the kitchen elves we can get certain foods on some days." Actually, that was a really good idea. That way he wouldn't feel so homesick all the time either...

{{ ooc: yasss Malaysian food is so good! I'm a sucker for nasi goreng and curry mee and omg CENDOL

Orion Henrion

Orion had briefly stopped in the Great Hall for a snack, but he wasn't sure what he wanted. Probably just an apple or something. Since he got in trouble, his mum hadn't sent him any snacks. And he hadn't seen @Blaise Henrion to bug him for some. Orion was on his own in this. This was what scavenging felt like. It was absolutely pathetic to be without food. He would have to tell his mum what he thought about it when he arrived home in the winter.

He did see the most scrumptious display of food. Free Asian food? Surely there had to be Russian food, as the part of Russia his grandfather's family was from was in Asia. And they made the most delightful food. Irkustk, which is right above Mongolia, is where his great great grandfather, Boris, was born. He remembered when he visited his Uncle Dmitriy's home, right in Novgorod, that it was very cold. He could only imagine how cold his great, great grandfather Boris' home was. They must have had delicious filling food.

He approached the boy, a little older than him but not by much. "Free Asian food, huh? Do you have anything from Russia? Like any Pelmeni or Kholodets?" Surely the boy must. "I'm Orion by the way. The Asian Student Association sounds fun." Even though Orion was blonde haired and blue eyed, he wanted to join. He would be a good asset to the ASA. "What are some of the other types of food?" he asked, looking at the table. Orion knew nothing about food outside of what his mum and grandfather made. And Thor, when he cooked.

Jerome Chan

Jerome was tending to the other visitors of his stall - which he didn't mind at all since he was very happy people were interested in Asian food - when another boy, small and wearing glasses, approached. "Russian food?" He remembered meeting @Anastasia Valentin over the summer and talking about a cultural exchange of sorts. After that, he'd gone home and asked his parents about Russia and its food and its culture. He knew very little about the country that was the northern neighbour of his own.

He didn't recognise the first dish, but the second one sounded familiar. Oh, that was the one with a lot of collagen to make meat-soup jelly! There was something similar in Korea, and at first it sounded strange but his mother told him it kept people looking young and then he understood. "There's the second one here," Jerome replied to @Orion Henrion, pointing to the gelatinous food. "I'm not sure about the first one, but we have some Russian food and Mongolian one next to it so you can see if it's here." He eyed the dough cake in the corner, and couldn't help but point it out, since it was his favourite. "There is also the Russian cake. Va...Vatrushka," he said, grateful for the small labels on each of the dishes. He didn't even know what all of the food was called, but if he could read it maybe he could pretend to know a lot about it.

Cedar Anwyl

A tiny fourth-year Ravenclaw (in first year, he'd been mistaken for a small eight-year-old for one thing.  For another, his very late august birthday made him one of the very youngest in the year to begin with)  wandered over - or not exactly, wandered over - that made things sound far too deliberate.  More like vaguely drifted in the direction the nice smells and then he grinned (although his grin was more of a I'm-going-to-tease-my-family-smirk) at the boy who seemed to be in charge, maybe?  That is, one @Jerome Chan.  

Japan was in Asia - he knew that much.   Certain members of his family (his family was complicated) were mistaken from having descent from there and Africa ... well....not all the time but plenty of the time.    "Um....got any Japanese stuff?"  (Cedar had missed the earlier conversation) and he shuffled his feet for a bit  "Uhh...my family's ... complicated...but I think my ... uhh... cousin would like some"   Or rather, he thought it would be amusing and given the mischievous glint in his eyes, Cedar was clearly up to something.

Jerome Chan

Jerome was absolutely delighted. He didn't know if anyone would even come, and now he was busy with people he hadn't even seen before coming up to try some of this food. The newest person to approach was @Cedar Anwyl, a Ravenclaw boy who Jerome assumed to be of some mixed heritage. Jerome wasn't an expert on human racial features, and most of the time he couldn't even tell whether someone was from Northern or Southern China (he himself was taken to be a Northerner when he actually grew up in the Southeastern province of Fujian). But Jerome guessed very wildly that this boy had some kind of East Asian heritage. He didn't know if the boy was just shy or he had something else planned, but as long as it didn't ruin his stall, he didn't mind it too much.

Jerome returned the boy's grin with a smile of his own. "Japanese food? Yes, there is some right here," he replied gesturing to the Japanese area of food. There was some gyozas, sushi, takoyaki, yakitori, dango, and of course, his favourite, an assortment of mochi. There was even some sashimi, which surprised him because he didn't think the food could keep well. Thank heavens for magic that could help with that issue. "I recommend the mochi. I like it the best!" 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.