Dale McQueen-Trengrove

It’s your party and I’ll flirt if I want to

Dale McQueen-Trengrove

The first week of the school had been quite the crazy one — from the Minister coming to the school to Julian biting him, a lot of things had happened. And it seemed that things had not really quieted since. He had found out from overhearing Gabe and Zach that it was Honorine’s birthday and had, completely unexpectedly for him, invited her for lunch. It was easier with Honorine than with say some of his other relationships lately. At least he could flirt with Honorine and know that she would flirt back — regardless of what he suspected her hidden motivations were.

Dale took a knife into the hamburger that he was eating and took a bite of the juicy meat. It was quite savory and exactly what he wanted in that moment. 

His gaze flickered up to Honorine as he did so and he sat there, grinning stupidly. 

“So are you corrupting your mentees?” He asked a smirk on his face. What he really wanted to ask though is if she had kissed anyone this summer. He had tried to practice on muggle girls in order to get better, but most of them took one look at his scars and his size and moved the hell away from him as though he were some sort of Frankenstein monster that they were not to associate with. 

He raised his pumpkin juice. 

“Happy birthday by the way,” he added, grinning. 

Honorine Nott

Fourteen. It seemed significant, somehow.

Girls who were fourteen got treated like young ladies, rather than awkward girls. Fourteen-year-old girls could come to class runny pantyhose and bold red lipstick and get away with it (mostly). Fourteen-year-old girls got asked on dates. That was perhaps the most exciting part of the last twelve hours of being fourteen: Dale McQueen-Trengrove inviting her to lunch. It didn't matter that it was in the Great Hall, with everyone else flittering about them, doing something that they likely would have done anyway. He had asked. It made her feel like she had something to give. It made her feel powerful.

She spent most of the beginning of it grinning into her glass of water, barely picking at the bloody meat in front of her (everything was served rare, nowadays, which was exactly how she and half the student body liked it post-attack) and popping chips into her mouth instead, her eyes crinkling at the corners as he bantered with her.

"Well none of them have punched me yet," she informed him. Thinking back to the end of school last year, to the whirlwind summer she'd had following it, and to the fact that she was bloody fourteen now, she decided to be bold. In a quieter voice, she added. "None of them have kissed me yet, either." She watched him for a second to see what his reaction would be before clearing her throat and returning to normal volume. "But we have managed to break curfew with them twice, so corruption is imminent. Willa's weirdly a great partner in crime."

When he wished her a happy birthday she had the grace to blush. How did he know? "Thanks. I don't like being fussy about it." Her legs swung forward, the toes of her shoes touching his. 

Dale McQueen-Trengrove

"So then they're lame," he replied easily as he grinned over at her while taking the biggest bite of rare-done hamburger that he could possibly manage. "I'm cooler than all of them." He actually had the balls to punch a girl, whereas most people just wouldn't do that. Granted, he had not had the stones to make the first move (she had done that) but he looked at her when she said that none of them have kissed me yet either and read it as an invitation for him to kiss her. 

Maybe. 

Dale was not the best at reading people, or otherwise, he might have been able to tell underlying motivation for this whole thing that was happening with Honorine. Dale could, however, distinctly feel his shoe touching hers and he gave a smirk, as he playfully shoved her foot back a little, but making sure to keep contact with hers at the same time. 

"Mine's November. I'll be thirteen." He'd no longer be a kid but a teenager. That seemed significant.

He leaned over the table so that his chest was nearly touching his food. "You could," he said slowly. "Kiss me now?" Never mind that he had been eating and his breath probably smelled. Never mind that the only practice he had all summer was on some muggle girl who was quite intimidating herself who kind of looked at him like this. Never mind any of that. He had invited her to lunch, not for the conversation, but for other things. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.