Professor Chevalier

What tomorrow may bring

Professor Chevalier

After the disaster of last year, JJ decided that the students of this school could use a little more divination in their lives. Her class consisted of five students. FIVE STUDENTS. How in the world did only five out of so many sixth years pass their OWLS the year before? She was truly disappointed that there was so little interest in the subject she was teaching, even if it did serve as a good introduction to teaching. Even the professors seemed uninterested. She was still peeved about finding those gossipy magazines on her desk opened to the horoscope pages. There was much more important things that the sixth years should have been learning about.

That was why Professor Chevalier set herself up in the corner of the Great hall, with a few of her favorite divination methods and a curtain for privacy. She wrote up a piece of parchment and stuck it in the air beside her little area.

Divination Sessions

With Professor Chevalier

Lean more about the subject through

Cardomancy

Tasseography

Palm Reading

If the Curtain is closed, I'm with a classmate

Please be patient. 

Feeling satisfied, JJ nodded and settled herself in. This would be a good week, she could feel it in her bones.

Hello! I wanted to do something fun to introduce myself to the students of the school officially. All you need to do is post 50 words, choosing a type of divination and maybe a question. Love, School, Fortune, etc. Feel free to include some information if you actually want this to be more accurate. Unfortunately, unlike the Professor, her puppeteer cannot actually practice Divination properly. 

You may post at any time, each student's interactions will be one on one unless you specify otherwise. Professor Chevalier will be in the Great Hall every night for the first week of school.

Salomé Schiferli

Salomé was heading to grab a bite to eat when she noticed the Divination Professor setting up a stand? The tall blond cocked an eyebrow. While she wasn't sure if she believed in Divination maybe she could get a taste of what there was to learn, and possible some guidance?

She didn't have a mother so that was out the door, and lately things were utter rubbish from her fights with Dorian and Alexander (though she made up with the latter). Stepping towards the Professor, Salomé raised an eyebrow. "So how does this all work? Can I have a go?"

Shiloh Paige

Shiloh was interested... or at least as interested as one really could be in Divination and not really get it. But she was interested enough to enter the booth with the professor.

Hey.” She said, hoping that @Stella Peabody didn't actually notice that she was doing something like this.

So I'm not sure where my girlfriend and I actually stand right now, I think it's been going okay, but we didn't talk over the summer. You think maybe there might be something in the cards about that?”

Dale McQueen-Trengrove

"I've been told this is basically hogwash. Fortune telling or whatever." He really had no interest in what his "future" might hold. It was a load of dung whatever Professor Chevalier had to say about this. 

"I'm not interested." And he probably would never be interested in taking the class. 

Professor Chevalier

Professor Chevalier couldn't believe her luck! Just moments after setting up @Salomé Schiferli was already there asking questions. "Yes. Yes of course, please come take a seat." She gestured for the girl to sit down and closed the curtain. She walked around her small table and took a seat on the other side across from the young lady. "So I've got three options for you to try. Palm reading can be very vague but it's often specific to your personality. Each line has a different meaning. Tasseography is tea reading. You'll drink a cuppa and we can analyze the symbols found inside together. The last is cartomancy. I'll use my own personal deck of cards to read into your future. Depending on what you want to know, the amount of cards used and the positions they're placed will change. So, do you have any burning questions for me?"

Professor Chevalier

Ah, young love. Something that was missing from JJ's life. Her mother often sent her messages asking if she had found  a significant other yet but it was hard to find someone when one traveled around constantly. Perhaps now that she was here she could start searching...except she wasn't fond of the idea of getting involved with one of her coworkers and dating a student was completely out of the question. Professor Chevalier's expression softened as @Shiloh Paige entered into her booth. "We can certainly take a look." 

Chevalier stood up to close the curtain while the girl settled herself in. She took the seat across from her and placed a peculiar set of cards on the table. "Please place your left hand on the deck. I'd like you to shuffle the cards for me. Use only your left hand, and think of your girlfriend. Spread the cards out over the table and put them back into a pile. Cut the deck five times, into five smaller decks and put them back together in whichever order you choose. Do you understand?" 

Professor Chevalier

Chevalier was instantly annoyed. This cheeky young boy @Dale McQueen-Trengrove seemed to come over here just to be rude. However she was the adult and needed to handle the situation properly. She had lasted one term so far and she hoped there would at least be another. So holding back on the insults JJ had thought up, she smiled at the boy and replied, "There are some things that you should experience before calling it Hogwash. I'm not saying you must believe that Divination works, however you should at least make a judgement of your own and not one because someone has told you so. Please continue on your way if you're not interested, but remember it was you who came over here to insult my craft in the first place. Hold your tongue if you have nothing nice to say next time or there will be consequences. "

Xenia Lupu-Haidei

Xenia took Divination, but she didn’t really care for it. It, along with Arithmancy, was just something to fill her elective requirements so that she could get the hell out of this school after her seventh year and never look back. She never planned on actually doing anything with it, mainly because she thought it to be utter nonsense from the get-go. So, when Xe saw the new professor’s little corner booth, she didn’t even spare it a thought at first.

As time went on, however, she became more curious about what the whole thing was about, so she made her way over, an apple crunched between her teeth. “How much money am I seeing in my future from WizTube?” She asked @Professor Chevalier without preamble.

Saroyan Singer

There was always something going on in the Great Hall to catch Saroyan's attention but, truth be told, the familiarity of a ~fortune teller's curtain~ was strangest—and most appealing—of them all. It would practically be a crime for him to not check out the little booth and its promises.

"Tasseography...that's the tea one, yeah?" Muv would be so proud of him for remembering that much. "My mum's really into this kinda stuff...she's a—whaddya call it, a muffle?—she can't do magic, though, so I'm guessing it's different?" Saro knew for a fact that most of what Muv did was smoke shows and good guessing and he was already pretty alright at keeping up with her; pulling out real magic Divination would just about blow her mind. 

"Reckon you can tell me about more than a cheating husband and a spot of luck with my job in the next ten years?" Worst case, he could walk out with some fancy new tricks to show off and a stomach full of tea which was, in essence, a perfect night for Saroyan. "I'm not fussed about what, exactly."

Robin Corelli-Rose

This was new. 

After everything the Great Hall has thrown at the students of Hogwarts, as much as it seemed to be the spawning ground for horrific incidents and student malcontent to the extreme, Robin still found the occasional new set-up in the Great Hall curious - like that something you knew might lead to trouble, but you couldn’t just leave it alone. Robin didn’t like missed opportunities.

So he slipped behind the curtain and came face to face with their new Divinations Professor. Robin, unlike his father, appreciated the potential of the subject, and given that last year Divination had been taught by his highly, unabashedly biased father, Robin looked forward to a newer outlook. He nodded a quick greeting, took his seat and cautiously held out his palms. Cards, he thought, were too impersonal and objective, while tea leaves were something he could read well enough on his own, thank you very much. Palm reading, however... he didn’t trust himself to read the lines of his own hands. They were too much a part of him.

The beginning of his school year had made Robin feel like he was standing at the starting line of something, or maybe a precipice that he was poised to take flight from. There was a general feeling... a coming - of what, he had no idea. But he knew that it was going to happen.

”Surprise me?” he quietly chanced.

Shiloh Paige

"Just the left hand?" Shiloh asked before subtly doing the thing where you make an L with your fingers to determine which one was left.

She reached out and awkwardly shuffled the deck before cutting it as directed.

In the end there was the cards, carefully placed on the table, more to the side of @Professor Chevalier

Salomé Schiferli

Salomé took a seat with @Professor Chevalier, and listened to the woman describe what she offered. Truthfully both palm reading and cards would be useful. The tall Slytherin crossed her leg and pressed her lips together. "If I am trying to figure out what is going on around me both with my own eternal feelings and those around me, which would you suggest?"

Professor Chevalier

@Xenia Lupu-Haidei

A stiff smile plastered itself across Professor Chevalier's face when a girl walked in eating an apple. That was certainly...a question. Of course from her past there were always people who wanted to know about their own personal fame and fortune but she wasn't expecting it to come from a child so young. Or that she would be asking about something so specific. "Er, why don't you take a seat?" She replied, gesturing for her guest to sit, while she shut the curtain. After a quick inner debate as to which would be the best method to figure out the answer to this oddly specific question, JJ spoke again, "May I see your right hand please?" She could only hope it wasn't sticky.

Professor Chevalier

@Saroyan Singer

Chevalier felt so proud of the young boy who stepped up to her table, already knowing what tasseography was. It seemed like it was his mother's influence but she could still work with that. "I believe you mean a muggle dear." She replied. This kid was quite charming. She hoped that meant some of his classmates may also not be as bad as she originally thought. "Why don't you have a seat while I brew some tea?" She added, as she closed the curtain. In all honestly tasseography wasn't exactly one of her favorites. If she was going to drink tea, JJ preferred it to be leaf free. 

She tapped the kettle in front of her and whispered the spell quietly. Soon enough, steam came pouring out. Chevalir scooped some leaves into the cup and poured the water over top. "Now while that's steeping, I'd like you to think of something. You don't have to tell me what it is, but tea reading works best if you have a subject in mind. Once you've decided, keep thinking on the subject while you drink until there's only a tiny bit left in your cup."

Professor Chevalier

@Robin Corelli-Rose

Well that was surprisingly straight forward. Chevalier blinked trying to figure out what exactly this child had wanted before it clued in. Was he here for a palm reading. "Ah, well alright. Let me see if there's anything interesting then." She took his right hand into hers and began tracing over some of the lines in his palm. "The right hand usually shows more of who you become while the left shows what kind of traits you were destined to have." She started, unsure of how much he would know about palm reading in general. "As you are now I would say the best place to start looking would be at your right hand."

It had been a long time since JJ had done a palm reading where the other party was just looking for some general information. She decided to start with his heart line, as it was always one of her favorites. Slipping a finger between his index and middle, Chevalier touched the end of his heart line. "Your heart line ends between the mounts of Jupiter and Saturn. It means you'll find true love, either platonic or romantic. I'm personally leaning towards the meaning being romantic as the line is mainly straight, without a curve." She glanced up to look at the boy in the face. Was this too much for someone so young? "A straight line means that you are stable, affable. When perusing romance you tend to be shy." 

She moved her finger to the pinky side of his hand and let her nail drag over some very small lines. "These small lines above your heart line here means you have an abundance of love and are actually quite the charmer. Be careful, as this might mean you are attracting young ladies to you without realizing. You may end up breaking a few hearts." Her tone was light and teasing but her words were much more serious. His love line showed a lot of true love in his future but with his apparent natural charm it could end up causing some problems.

"Do you have any questions?" She asked, "Or anything in particular you want to know about now?"

Professor Chevalier

@Shiloh Paige

"That was perfect dear." Chevalier said, smiling as she took the deck from the girl. Facing the prefect, JJ began to lay out seven cards. The first five in a ring, with the sixth being in the middle and the seventh off to the side. "Now let's take a look shall we?"

The Sword. "This first card represents your loved one's true nature. This card symbolizes truth and power. While up for interpretation I believe that this means your girlfriend is the more dominant in your relationship and will not lie to you about it. Just be warned that if you ever lie to her that there could be severe consequences."

The Maze. "This card represents your past together. It can mean both confusion and loss of confidence. I cannot say how far into the past this means but it's possible that you may have inadvertently hurt her before or have been unclear with your feelings. If she values truth as much as the cards have already said then it is important that you are honest with her. Be aware that the past doesn't mean that you have no future."

The Wood. "This card represents your present life together. It symbolizes personal growth and development. Something has happened recently, Perhaps in the past few months that has made one or both of you think more about your future? You two are certainly at the right age for this card and I'm not surprised to find it here. You look about the right age to be doing OWLs correct? So choosing your classes as well as your girlfriend choosing hers may affect where you are in the future. That being said, this card can also represent obtaining trust in relationships. I would say that it's best to trust her and she in return should trust you."

The Bubbles. "This card represents your future together. It symbolizes a purification or emotions, or breaking a vicious cycle. I would say that this means you two need to have a chat. I'm not saying it means anything bad but with how truth has played out through your fortune so far I would say there needs to be something said between you two. If handled properly your current problems and worries shall be washed away. Be careful to not rely on just each other. It's good to keep her close but don't be afraid to keep close to others as well. You both need a good structure of people you're able to speak to confidently."

The Sleep. "This card represents the problem you must overcome to get along with her better. It symbolizes rest, or the calm of mind. In this position I believe that this means you may be worrying over nothing but your worry right now could be the problem in itself. Try to think more positively about why she was out of touch."

The Twin. "This card represents your romance." Chevalier was honestly surprised to see this card here with such a young couple, but it made her smile. "It symbolizes the appearance of your soul mate. Now I'm sure you can get your own understanding from this without me going into much detail."

The Cloud. "And the final card is just some advice for your relationship. This card symbolizes your decisions deciding the outcome. Basically, whatever you decide to do from here on out will shape how the rest of your relationship goes. I think the cards are being very clear right now with saying you really just need to talk to one another, try to clear up any misunderstandings. Your heart will determine your luck in this situation."

Overall the reading seemed to be a happy one. It was nice to see something like this with such a young couple. "Do you have any questions about any of this?"

This reading was done with real cards, if it's not accurate to your character's situation, I apologize.

Professor Chevalier

@Salomé Schiferli

Taking a quick moment to decide, Professor Chevalier replied, "Well Palm reading tends to be more characteristic and internal. So I would say reading tea leaves or cards would be better. Tasseography is best done with a specific question in mind while cartomancy is can be more generalized, thought it works best if your have a problem you'd like to discuss. Does that help you make a decision?"

Edited by Professor Chevalier

Aggie Price

In some ways, time was running out for Aggie.  She was beginning her next to the last year of schooling and Hogwarts and she knew she needed to have some idea of what she wanted to do upon finishing her magical schooling.  Up until this past summer, Aggie really had no idea what she wanted to do with or without magical training.  That had changed after the events of the previous school year.  Witnessing all that she had and the aftermath that was now a part of everyday life for some of them, an idea and direction had begun to form.  

She just wasn't sure if focusing on becoming a healer was the right direction.  Nor did she want her choice to cause any conflict between her and Sonny, though Aggie strongly suspected that working as a healer would actually complement any work Sonny did with potions. Spotting Professor Chevalier's area that she had set up, Aggie went over and waited till the curtains opened and the professor's previous visitor left before entering herself.  "Professor, I have questions about my future," she began quietly, not sure which Divination method would be best suited for confirming her choice.

Robin Corelli-Rose

On the whole, Robin felt he ought to have expected that a reading of his palms would cover the topic of romance. He'd given no sign that that was the area he needed foresight in (really, he was perfectly happy tackling each instance of it as he encountered it) and had felt, truly, that there were more areas in which he would have liked some sort of guidance than his love life and had hence asked @Professor Chevalier to read the lines of his palms without influence or bias... And yet without prompting, without questions, the reading came to cover the subject of love.

Robin felt like the heat that bloomed in the apples of his cheeks would spread to his palms. He stared the criss-crossing etched into his skin, following the path Chevalier drew with her finger with his eyes. A straight line - straight to Kay, his inner voice crowed. If it had a face, that voice, Robin thought, it would be wearing a grin that would have put the Cheshire Cat to shame. Good thing he never gave faces to the gallery of voices in his head. Stable and affable? He wasn't sure what 'affable' meant, figured it wasn't that important, not as Chevalier pin-pointed the nature of his feelings. Robin wouldn't have approached her, if he'd thought she was anything but who she said she was.

But even so, he hadn't thought - really - that it would be so on the nose.

His feelings really were out in the open, obvious to anyone who cared to look.

He blinked at what the woman said next and felt a little stab in his own heart as he thought, It's already happened. Or came close enough to matter. His feelings for Kay had hurt Pandora and he hadn't realized until much later, and though he never intended for it to happen, he couldn't do anything about it and selfishly hoped nothing would change for the worse between the three of them. It really wasn't too much to ask, Robin thought. He didn't want to break - or come close to doing just that - any more hearts.

It was all over much more quickly than he'd thought it would be (though, what more was there to say, when he was so easy to read?) and it took some effort to not yank his hands back and cover them up, hide away whatever other truths they might have held. Was there anything else he wanted to know? Sure - there was plenty, and all the questions clamoured together, shoving and elbowing and squeezing and hollering to be heard - but he couldn't think of anything specific at the moment. Professor Chevalier had surprised him with her perceptiveness, and so Robin carefully pulled his hands back and rubbed his palms carefully together. She had given him plenty to think about. "I think," he said quietly, with a dry hint to his tone, "that might be enough surprises for one day. Thank you."

Saroyan Singer

"Right, muggle," he chirped, thankful for the helpful professor and the helpful professor's free tea. Saro sat himself in what he hoped looked very attentive to the whole of the magic rather than just to the aspect of a little treat; it became easier for his interest to appear peaked when it actually did peak with a bit of wand-tapping and spell casting. That bit would certainly be fun to bring home to Muv.

And, if this actually worked—Saroyan was every bit won over just by the atmosphere and the sharp-smelling tea, to be honest—he'd have even more. 

It was a touch difficult to settle on just one thing to think about. There was his future at Hogwarts, of course, at the forefront of his mind, but he'd much rather than remain a mystery that he could unravel one day at a time. He could ponder on his skating, or his sister and Hector, or how the quality of food would fatten him up over the year. In the end, as he finally began to sip on the offered tea, he fixated on the friends he'd had to leave behind to pursue magic.

"I think I just want to know if everyone will be okay without me," Saroyan pondered, half to himself, half to Professor Chevalier. "Is that something tea leaves can show me?" If not, he'd drain the dregs and could start over new; it wasn't like he couldn't slam a whole pot of tea if he had the chance.

Xenia Lupu-Haidei

Xenia stood and watched @Professor Chevalier‘s face. She was about to call bull on the whole fortune telling thing when the woman told her to sit down. “Hmm,” was Xe’s response, biting down on her apple and crunching on another piece. She sat, still skeptical of this whole thing, and handed the woman her right hand. “I’m trying to hop on the first broomstick to Spain once I’m done with Hogwarts, so I need to know how much I should expect to pull in. I’ve got revenue graphs and monthly subscribers charts set up in my dorm room.” She really did.

Professor Chevalier

@Aggie Price

It was oddly comforting to see young adults worrying about their futures. "Please take a seat." She said, gesturing to the seat in front of her while waving the curtain shut. "May I ask for more details? Knowing a bit more about your worries will be able to help me determine which method of divination to use, unless there was a specific branch you already wanted to try out. "

Professor Chevalier

@Saroyan Singer

This child was certainly charming. Chevalier couldn't help but smile at him as he spoke. "Yes of course it can." She replied. "Tasseomancy is actually very much up for interpretation we'll be able to have any questions you have. It's just better to have something in mind while drinking, or you may end up with something that doesn't make any sense."  

Glancing down, JJ nodded seeing the tea had turned a lovely dark shade, indicating it was ready. "I apologize for not being able to offer you any cream or sugar but the readings go best with the leaves as is. Now whenever you're ready, you may drink up and I'll have a look into your cup afterwards. When there's about a teaspoon of tea left in the bottom, swirl your cup around counter-clockwise with your left hand, still thinking about your question, and then turn it upside down onto this saucer."

Edited by Professor Chevalier

Aggie Price

Aggie took the seat indicated by the professor and thought for a moment about how to answer the question asked.  "I think I know what field I want to go into when I leave school," she be.gan, with an apologetic look at the woman in front of her added, "Not Divination but what I learn in class would definitely be of help to me always.  But I want to be sure it is the right direction that I plan to head in.  Healing," she finally explained.  

Professor Chevalier

@Xenia Lupu-Haidei

This girl was quite something to behold. Chevalier wasn't quite sure how to handle her but well, she'd try her best. She took Xe's hand into hers and spoke, "Palmistry isn't quite as exact for asking questions but I can look into some of your smaller lines and see what's there." Unsure of how to actually take the whole 'first broom to Spain' thing. Not that travelling was a bad thing. She had done it herself for many years afterall. 

"Hmm, well your money line is rather wavy." She began, already sure that the girl in front of her would be disappointed with the answer. "Your wealth and fortune may not be stable in life, you'll need to work hard to get what you want specifically. If you're relying on this wiztube money I would say that would explain the fluctuation." She traced over the small life with her finger nail a couple more times, just to show the young girl that she was telling the truth about it. Wanting to give her something positive, Chevalier looked over a few of her other lines.

"Your sun line is interesting." She added, tracing the curve from the bottom of xenia's outer palm. "This means that you'll be very popular and you'll gain fame with the support of others. It's a very helpful line for entertainers so this is good for you." Moving on, she ran her finger down the middle of her hand. "And your fate line indicates that you could have a successful career from almost nothing. Though because it isn't parallel with your sun line, it isn't likely that business will run smoothly, which matches with your money line. Does that satisfy your curiosity?  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.