Jack Dare

P.A.W.: Meet and Greet, Brainstorming, All Welcome!

Professor Foster

"Shh, It's alright boy," Peggy said soothingly as she rubbed Lawrence's side. She was not worried about the tiny bit of vommed apple. Lawrence had brought up much worse things. The fact that he wasn't ill seemed evident in the way he was so intent on consuming again what he'd just expelled. "Evanesco," Foster muttered, vanishing away the mess before Lawrence could eat it again, barf it again, and then eat it once more. This was a messy and unproductive cycle and Peggy wasn't just thinking about dog vomit.

"Not to worry, @Phillip Aldermaston, He's fine," Foster assured the boy. "He's just a bit on edge, as are we all."

"I don't wish to intrude," Foster said, raising her voice to gain attention. "Not too much. Mr. Dare has stated the purpose of the club and this meeting. He is correct that those not supporting those purposes would have their time better served elsewhere."

"As for the distrust being expressed by many of you, I empathize. Being mistrustful is under-rated. I often distrust a dozen things before breakfast, more if I'm reading the Prophet. However, I would urge you to apply cost benefit analysis and worse case scenarios before rejecting something outright, whether it's potion, money, or friendship. If the potential cost is poisoning some caution is well warranted. If the potential cost is receiving money or aid from someone who is merely patting themselves on the back---well, if it were me, I'd let them pat, and take their money, but that's just me."

"I'm not known for a trusting or optimistic nature myself, but there are clearly many in this room who are genuine in their desire to do good. If that desire should stop short of being strictly effective or of solving every injustice, that's not a reason to attack or reject them. Laugh or roll your eyes in private if you must be cynical, but if someone's good intentions aren't hurting you, why try to hurt them back? There is little enough good in the world as it is without trying to bring down those who are making an effort."

"For myself, I did want to say earlier that if any of the affected students are still struggling with resources or an appropriate place to transition while not in school, I do have a property--an extremely remote and secure property in the country. Taking advantage of it would require you to trust in me, so I realize that rules out many of you, however, the offer is there. It goes without saying that my security is good and depending on whether your wolfsbane was effective you could spend the night or be taken home immediately after transitioning."

"It is just an option. Take it or leave it as it suits you. My feelings will not be affected either way."

She nodded at Dare encouraging him to carry on. It was a pity that he wasn't a bit more dynamic, but he was so stuffed full of good intentions it was disgusting and she could imagine that that sincere baby face had a future in  fund-raising or securing the goodwill of the press. Now if he could just avoid being broken by his peers.

Edited by Professor Foster

Robin Corelli-Rose

Where was— Robin knew he should have gone in with Kay, remembered that she’d mentioner the P. A. W. meeting... somewhere in the school, and that he had told her he’d catch up with her, after he’d finished sketching out the plans for his new origami project. But by the time he’d looked up from the paper, Robin had realized that a lot more time had passed than he’d thought and the meeting had likely already long-since started.

He hurried, with each step racking his brain to remember what room the meeting was in, and whether it even mattered whether he was there or not. @Pandora Midnight and @Kay Wickham - his werewolves - knew where he stood and there was no need to convince them further, or have to justify himself to them. Still, maybe, there was something he could do.

Robin cracked the door open just enough for him to whisper through, not wanting to disturb the discussion already well underway, and crept, hunkered over, along the back of the classroom, attempting to go unnoticed. His eyes skimmed the small crowd, learning the mood of it, raked over the notes written on the board in search of an in...

His thoughts whirred, working out the pieces of an idea, as he listened to the conversation, as he felt definitively that he’d missed a large part of it and, now that he was here, he had to contribute...

“What about a radio talk show?” He had to raise his voice in a way he wasn’t used to, to be heard from the back. His eyes darted from face to face. “Student run. Werewolf students talking to the public. Anyone who wants to, tunes in. If they don’t, they don’t. Can’t change the minds of the unwilling. But callers are welcome.” He shrugged to the boy in the front (@Jack Dare). “It’s not on the board,” he explained - which was his whole apology for mentioning something that might have been already mentioned, if it had. 

Edited by Robin Corelli-Rose

Richard Stafford

There was a lot of yelling and a lot of distrust and a lot of accusations being put forth, and Julian had ended up leaving. Ringo was glad he wasn’t the one leading this—with so many different personalities and so much tension in one room, he was sure he’d rip his own hair out in a fretful state if he’d been responsible for a club of this capacity. He looked at @Jack Dare throughout everyone’s speech, and could tell his friend was stressed. If Ringo had been a braver person, he’d have stood up on one of the chairs and screamed “SHUT THE HELL UP” at the top of his lungs.

But he was not, so he didn’t do that.

What he did do instead was put a supportive hand on Jack’s shoulder and squeeze. “Reckon some of these lot need a chill pill,” he joked. He was glad that people like @Kay Wickham and @Julian Pritchard were there to be voices of reason. The rest of the less receptive werewolves weren’t helping their image, if you asked Ringo (nobody did), especially with their talks of biting people who said negative things about them, and threatening that others had better stay on their good side otherwise they’d be werewolf Scooby snacks. You’d never change any opinions with that sort of rhetoric.

“I like your idea,” he told @Robin Corelli-Rose. “That would definitely help us spread the word to more witches and wizards outside of Hogwarts. Just look at that lady, Trixie Verity.” He’d meant to say Trudy Veritas. “She gets so much attention from her radio show! Even though it’s negative attention.”

Edward Borage

Before he could respond to @Phillip Aldermastonwith anything more substantial than an eyeroll, he was saved from explaining about the trust fund and being called a liar when he wasn’t. But clearly there was a lot of murky water under the bridge and many issues he wasn’t sure had been taken into account.

”You don’t know everything, Phillip!” he eventually managed to get out. “And you need to be a bit more open to accepting help ( @Jaxon Sinclair), from what little I know it’s gold they’re offering not made potions. My Gramps set it up as one of a number of charitable foundations he either runs or created, mostly in Brazil, it’s true, but you’re dead wrong if you link it to the Ministry and the Aurors. It has nothing to do with either. People are trying to help you with nothing in it for them. But you’re too angry to realise that you’re pushing them away and pushing yourself into a corner you might not like to be in. And where will that land you? The only other person being openly helpful is that Roseclaw fella and it was his island that let those werewolves escape to attack you all.”

Edward scowled, turned to Jack and added, “What really needs to happen is that these guys get a clue and go on a charm offensive to counteract everyone’s mistrust and fear that they’re going to run wild and tear peoples’ throats out. A good PR rep would work but it would cost. But hey! What would I know? I’m just the interloper from Brazil with rich grandparents.”

Jaxon Sinclair

Jack rolled his eyes so hard that he was certain they'd pop out from behind his glasses and go clear off screen.  This was why he tended to agree with @Julian Banagher's assessment that people were just in this to feel good.  The letter they'd received about the aforementioned trust fund had been, to say the least, utterly obtuse and completely unaware of the things going on in the actual world.  It was like whoever had written it hadn't actually turned on the radio and heard their names put on blast all over Trudy's show or the callers that had dialed in to tell her what good work she was doing.

Or that the Aurors had been given license to torture and murder werewolves who were very clearly not on wolfsbane and who obviously had no way to explain why nor were they ever given the chance to.

"Oh, I'm sorry, I must have missed the part where you were bitten last year, @Edward Borage, because that's the only explanation for how you have such a keen sense of what I should or shouldn't do," he bit out, jaw working through clenched teeth.  He crossed his arms defensively over his chest, brow furrowed in frustration behind his glasses.  "That letter was the most unaware, obtuse, utterly ignorant thing I have ever read regarding werewolves and how the world treats them.  'The current political climate is in your favor, but it might not remain so.'  Verbatim, Mr. 'Daddy Bigbucks is my Grandpa.'"  There was another eye roll then.  "That's the same political climate that authorized the use of Dark magic on my kind, that allowed my name and information to be made public, that forced me onto a registry, that allows for the open discrimination of werewolves in daily life, and that refuses to provide the wolfsbane that they require us to take as per the rules of that dehumanizing registry that they forced us to sign after they failed in their job to keep us safe at this 'safest place on Earth.'"

Tucked into his elbows, Jack's fists tightened until, had his hands not been gloved, he would have cut into his palms with his nails.  "As for my 'corner' and your false concern over it, you're not the only one in this room with a wealthy pedigree.  If the others want to take your grandfather's blood money, they're welcome to it, but that doesn't mean I have to stop pointing out that it's merely a PR stunt to clean up the fact that his name is attached to one of the Aurors who was here the night that the Ministry sanctioned murder...but you would know all about that, right?  Because you're the PR expert from Brazil and I just need to get a clue on how I should act as a werewolf because you know so much better than I do."

Jack shook his head and hoisted his satchel up onto his shoulder.  "Been real, @Jack Dare, and despite other opinions, I do appreciate what you're trying to do here, but I can't sit and have some some twelve-year-old trust fund kid preach to me about how I should turn on the charm and just smile more.  So I'm out.  Be around if you need anything, coolest little man in the school."

And with that, he headed for the door, seizing @Ryszard Althaus-Valerio by the sleeve on the way to prevent him from going thermonuclear and murdering Edward Borage with a bacon tray.

Jaxon out~

Edited by Jaxon Sinclair

Phillip Aldermaston

Phillip snorted at @Edward Borage  “I don’t know everything, Borage.  Never claimed to.  But… Borage, you know less than me about things where I was there so I guess that means you know negative about some things if I know nothing.  Or did you forget that you were so sure that your mother was…. terribly provoked…that you were  too fwightened of what you might find  to call my bluff?”  And yes, Phillip had deliberately mispronounced frightened to get up Edward Borage’s nose.

And Phillip forced a sickly-sweet smile on his face and turned to Jaxon Sinclair.  “Right.  And I’m sorry but even I’m confused as to why it’s unreasonable to link the head auror, the head auror’s wife and another auror to… well…aurors.  Maybe Borage can clear that up?" And with that, Phillip turned to expectantly face the second-year in question.

Edited by Phillip Aldermaston

Jack Dare

"Oh, I say, could we all please stop having a go at one another?" Jack fretted. "We're all meant to be friends here." What part of "pals and allies" had they not understood?

Jack's head was whirling. He didn't understand the rationale behind half the statements being expressed. Some thought that the ministry and aurors should have done more, which Jack thought was understandable, but in the same breath were unwilling to accept anything from the ministry or aurors. To Jack (who to be fair, was a very trusting soul) this seemed nonsensical. He also didn't understand why some of the werewolves were attacking the people who wanted to help them, saying they only did it to feel good about themselves. Jack was one of those people, and had to admit he did feel a certain self-satisfied glow at the thought that he might be doing something to make the world a better place. He didn't see the disconnect though. Couldn't you want to help people and feel good about yourself for having done so? Also why was Jaxon calling him "coolest little man in the school" for wishing to help and condemning others for the same thing? (Not that Jack was going to argue. The last thing he wanted was another scary person not liking him.)

"So, um, how about we try to put together a list of resources and let people decide for themselves what they feel comfortable using?" Jack suggested. "I'll just add that to the brainstorming list, shall I? I mean, after all, this is just brainstorming. We aren't making any decisions yet. No idea is a bad idea at this stage, right?"

Jack's list now looked like this:

• LISTEN
  • ACT IN THE BEST INTERESTS OF THE STUDENTS MOST AFFECTED
  • CLEARLY TAKE A STAND
  • LEARN MORE ABOUT THE SITUATION
  • HEAR FROM BOTH SIDES
  • LET PEOPLE KNOW THEY DON"T NEED TO BE SCARED AND CONFUSED
  • RAISE FUNDS HOW: BAKE SALE, T-SHIRTS, BADGES, AUCTION
  • RAISE FUNDS WHY: (buy OBTAIN wolfsbane potion, wards for summer use)
  • APPEAL TO COMMUNITY LEADERS FOR DONATIONS
  • WE SHOULD BE NICE TO WEREWOLVES (And maybe everyone?)
  • COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT (MAYBE START WITH OUR FAMILIES?)
  • GAMES
  • SPIN THE MEDIA 
  • COORDINATE/UNITE WITH OTHER ORGANIZATIONS
  • PROTEST (peaceful, hand out well researched facts, maybe at the gala, boycott classes of non-supportive professors)
  • ASK MISS LUSHIA TO GIVE HW SECURITY TALK
  • KAY'S INFO FOR SUPPORT, PROF FOSTER's PROPERTY, TRUST FUND?  MAKE AVAILABLE A LIST OF RESOURCES
  • RADIO TALK SHOW

"So--" Jack checked his pocket watch. "--curfew is in about forty minutes so we probably shouldn't carry on too much longer. Does anyone else have any ideas for things the club can do?"

"Positive suggestions," Jack clarified. He could imagine a number of not very PG suggestions that @Jacqueline Frost might give for things the club could do.

Phillip Aldermaston

Phillip shrugged.  “Uh, one:  I don’t care about sodding curfew.”   If threatening  stuff was allowed even to him then he didn’t see why he should care where he was at curfew unless he’d escaped or something.

“But two:  I sort of have half an idea.  About raising funds  -  I can see if @Rowan Allard would make something.  I can also write to my sister – same thing. They both do needlework so…”

Edward Borage

Okay so Jaxon probably had a point but just because he didn’t need or want the help didn’t mean others were so fortunate and it probably wouldn’t help now that he was gone to explain that English wasn’t his Gramp’s first language. But Edward had to give points to Jack, he was trying very hard to hold things together but he was deluded when he thought they were all chums just because they all held a solitary thing in common.

”Jack, sorry, truly, but we’re not all friends and some of us are prats and others of us are deluded idiots,” Edward then turned his attention on the latest round of rot coming out from Phillip’s mouth. The older boy was rapidly becoming his arch nemesis!

”What the hell are you on? The Head Auror is Harry Potter, his wife isn’t an Auror! I think Josie would back me up on that! And if you’re suggesting that my mother is having an affair...”

Actually that completely broke his restraint and this time, unlike on the platform, Edward attacked. The chair crashed down behind him. A bag of gobstoppers was lobbed through the air, aiming for Phillip’s face. Racing to cover the distance and be right where he needed to after Phillip had either dealt with the sweets or not, Edward pulled his arm back, fist clenched, muscles bunching up, arm surging forward aiming for a chin he’d happily smash to pieces...or pummel any part of him within reach. 

Josie Potter

Not only would Josie back @Edward Borage up on that, Josie WAS backing Edward up on that as she leapt out of her seat and went to his side.  "Don't you even start talking smack about my grandpa!" she shouted at the older Hufflepuff before joining in the fray and attempting to pummel the seventh year's arm, shoulder, or any part she could reach that Edward wasn't aiming for.  Slytherin/Hufflepuff teamwork, who knew?

Ryszard Althaus-Valerio

Having stayed silent throughout the entire proceedings to give the actual werewolves the floor, Ryszard took to feeding his werewolves, the bacon tray nestled safely on his lap. Things, however, had not stayed as calm as one would have hoped — Ryszard blamed @Jack Dare, like he did, in so many things.

He watched @Jaxon Sinclair put Edward on blast, and as much as the younger Slytherin’s words incensed him, it was much more fascinating to watch his roommate, as anger came forth, pouring out of his mouth. He was agitated, irritation stuck to his skeleton — and Ryszard could feel it from where he was sitting right beside him. He surreptitiously moved a hand to his thigh, placing the tray on the empty seat beside him, eyes flicking for a second towards @Jacqueline Frost.

Before he could hit Edward with the aforementioned tray, however, and possibly send pieces of bacon flying into the air (neither Jack would ever forgive him for that, but he definitely would have used it as a weapon of mass destruction. Just saying) — before he had even reached for the tray, Jaxon was dragging him out with a firm grip on his sleeve.

At the last minute, he pulled Jack (of the Frost variety) along with them, so she wouldn’t go homicidal on any of the currently seated in their absence. They could leave her outside their broom closet.

Ryszard out, with a very grumpy Jacqueline~

Professor Foster

"Alright that's it," Foster said rising. She'd ignored a fair share of posturing and veiled threats as it was after hours and she'd actually been interested in the content of the meeting and had not wanted to be reduced to nothing more than a referee, however outright violence could not be ignored, not the mention that she felt as if it were a personal attack when students felt as if the could flaunt the code of conduct directly under her nose.

Foster arrested the forward momentum of both Borage and Potter, slowing them down and then physically taking hold of each by the collar. "You two are the last I expected to have to drag out of a peace assembly, but so be it. It's just as well that your families know how you are contributing to an atmosphere of hostility. I'll leave it to the Headmistress to explain that."

Lawrence had risen when Peggy had and he was now leaping around them trying to lick the faces of @Edward Borage

and @Phillip Aldermaston. "Mr. Pritchard, a hand please," Foster called out to @Julian Pritchard . "Could you please take charge of Lawrence for me? Perhaps you could bring him to the Defense offices after this meeting? I would be most grateful."

"Mr-- Phillip--- you may not care about the 'sodding curfew' but I expect your Head of House might have something to say about it should you miss it. I'll be checking in with her later. The choice is up to you."

She shot Jack Dare a look and simply shook her head, before turning her attention back to Borage and Potter. "The Headmistress's office. Now. Briskly please."

Edited by Professor Foster

Phillip Aldermaston

Phillip opened his mouth to clarify that no, he had never said the wife was an auror – he’d mentioned the head auror, the wife of the head auror and another auror – not the head auror and the wife of the head auror who is also an auror.    “No, Three people.”   What Phillip thought but did not add was idiot.

And then he shrugged at Josie's  comment.    All he had really done was to describe the grandpa’s behaviour accurately. It was hardly his fault if Josie saw that as being insulting – if anything, Josie had kind of proved his point for him so “Thank you.”

And then….the whip cracked… and all hell broke loose.

Phillip snorted at Foster’s nonsense about “contributing to an air of hostility” because no, that wasn’t what  @Edward Borage or  @Josie Potter was doing.   That’s what he, or say,  @Jacqueline Frost had been doing.    They had actually actively been violent, which, was not amongst Phillip’s crimes.  

It may occur to Phillip later that understating things was just how Foster talked – but for now, he was far too incensed that once again, bloody aurors and aurors’ relatives got away with everything.  (Yeah, like he actually believed that they’d be disciplined in the head’s office.  Come off it, their relatives could do what they wanted.)

Phillip tried to give Lawrence a quick pat on whatever part of the dog was easiest to reach while Lawrence pranced around trying to lick his face and Edward’s face. 

And did  @Professor Foster really think that he cared what the head of house had to say about it?  Heck, for all he cared, she could tell the head of the entire school – he wasn’t going to care about the curfew just because someone who didn’t care about him cared about the curfew.

Besides which, the comment about the sodding curfew had mostly been an empty threat – or not exactly an empty threat but pretty much an empty threat.  That is, he had been intending on arriving back at  the Hufflepuff Common Room at…about a minute past curfew, just to make his point that he didn’t care about their dumb rules about how late they could be wandering around the castle, not even out-out if they didn’t care about his safety. But…the minute past curfew plans were there when Edward Borage did what he did.  When Josie Potter started though….yeah, any thoughts of mere token defiance had evaporated into gossamer-thin remnants of ideas.

So Phillip shrugged.  “ Do what you need to do - I care even less now.”   Phillip’s tone suggested that his reluctance was born from a rather different feeling (fear) than mere stubborn teenage defiance.  There was no way he was going back to the Hufflepuff Common Room now.   The parting shot was dealt with so no,  he didn’t go back to the common room.

What he did do instead was what he always did when he was frightened  (like now – he wasn’t going to go back to where the person who tried to pummel him lived – that was stupid) or upset or  angry or… struggling with feelings he couldn’t even name -  and that meant he fled to the armour gallery.

Robin Corelli-Rose

Whatever the discussion that had been happening when he'd slipped in seemed to arc and buckle, not unlike a bridge threatening to collapse, and Robin had the distinct impression that this was a familiar pattern for meetings like these. With some chagrin, Robin hadn't attended many of the ones open to non-werewolves, because, he figured, he could always ask Kay or Pandora what was the best thing to do, and knew that the lack of change in how he saw either of them mattered more than any other action he could take. 

This year, he wanted to make more of an effort to attend, especially if it was important to Kay - the meetings. Not his attendance. It was an effort to understand.

Robin made his way to the front of the room, towards his friend as several of the others either stormed out with a nearly palpable anger or were forcefully escorted and touched the back of Kay's hand with his pinky finger in greeting. Jack Dare, though he be little, possessed an incredible amount of fortitude and competence, keeping a crowd of so many varied individuals from descending into complete chaos. Robin eyed the board from up close and shook his head slowly. There was a phrase he was thinking of, it was on the tip of his tongue. Ah. "Too many cooks in the kitchen," he quoted. "I think if everyone - or groups that agree on one thing - did their own thing, what they felt best at, the spread of information would be a better success than if everyone agreed on only a couple. Every little bit helps."

Kay Wickham

This meeting was becoming pretty typical of any gathering that tried to discuss the “werewolf issue”. It seemed like even if it was just allies grouping together for talks, there were allies who didn't think other allies were ally enough to ally.

So what if some people were helping out to feel better? Guilt was a powerful motivator, and at least they were feeling something about it. When you're outside looking in, it was complicated to try to relate or to know what to say. Kay thought they should all cut people who were trying some slack.

The whole thing was going to the dogs, though. Pun intended.

She was glad Robin had shown up, but she was a little embarrassed by how quickly it was descending into snide remarks and one-upping each other's closeness to the problem. He suggested a radio show, like Trudy's but better, run by students who could answer the public's questions—considering how many people Trudy had reached with her initial expose, maybe that was the way to go.

Kay hoped this would get things back on track, but then the new boy was snapping at Phillip and lecturing Jaxon, which set the wolfboy off, which lead to his exit—and Ryszard's—and Frost's.

The Gryffindor scrubbed her forehead with her palm, frustrated by this cascading series of events. She would have liked to set something up with Frosty—not to mention, she took some issue with calling the grant they'd been offered 'blood money'. She didn't doubt that part of it was a PR stunt, but some people couldn't turn their nose up at help, even if the help was from someone trying to make up for someone else's mistake.

Like Kay, for example. She'd take what help she could get to make sure this wasn't a burden on her dad.

Then Phillip said something that somehow angered Edward and Josie both to the point where they were on their feet and charging at him, and thankfully Professor Foster was already responding to it because otherwise Kay would have had to get in there and wrestle with smaller children.

The seventh year fled the scene, and she watched him go with some concern—he hadn't seemed like a bad guy, really, so this was all a big misunderstanding as far as Kay was concerned. Robin touched her hand and suggested that maybe this was a job for small groups. She sighed. “It does seem like whenever we try to get on the same page, people just wanna rip it up.”

Josie Potter

Yeah, great timing.  Try to fight a seventh year in front of the professor that you have a class with the next morning.  One of Josie's more brilliant moves.  She was sure it came from hanging around her brother all summer.  Did she regret trying to take down the seventh year?  Nope.  Did she regret upsetting Professor Foster by doing so in front of her?  Yep.  Would it stop her from going after the boy if he said anything about her family again?  Nope.  

"I'm sorry, Professor," she replied.  "But that's my family and I'm not letting him smear them for no reason."  Because, of course, Josie had no clue about Phillip's weird thinking about an event back several years ago.  Josie didn't even know about that event.  But she did know that the comment he was making about her grandpa, and possibly her grandma, was not cool.

Looking at the others -- Jack Dare and the remaining werewolves and the remaining ones who, like Josie, really wanted to support the werewolf victims, she added, "Sorry to disrupt the meeting like this."

But she wasn't sorry she tried to take down Phillip.

Edited by Josie Potter

Edward Borage

Merlin dang it! Couldn’t just pummel Phillip just once? Like really? One broken nose would make Edward feel so much better! But dog kisses was a pretty good substitute and he managed to give Lawrence a pat before the poor dog was hauled away from smooching more of his face. Edward did shoot Josie a thankful look. It was nice to know that he had at least one ally in the room but he was about to apologise for his immature actions and loss of control over his temper.

”Not sorry at all, Professor, unless you count the fact that I couldn’t rearrange his face a bit. He’s a complete arse! He’s going around saying my mother threatened him with an Unforgivable! That she wants him dead! That you made her investigate herself! And now to have to listen to more of his rot? Yup, no, sorry, not sorry.” Edward glared at Phillip and then added, “But I am sorry for disrupting Jack’s meeting...”

Richard Stafford

People kept leaving and there were still arguments being had. “You reckon you should end this now before someone punches somebody else?” He asked @Jack Dare, face full of concern. @Josie Potter looked about ten seconds away from swinging at @Phillip Aldermaston. Good thing Phillip finally ended up leaving.

Edited by Richard Stafford

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.