Jack Dare

P.A.W.: Meet and Greet, Brainstorming, All Welcome!

Jack Dare

Last year when Jack applied to create P.A.W. he had been shocked by how many people has signed up and at how many of those who had were upperclassmen. It made him nervous as a first year (and a very small first year at that) to have to lead a meeting. For that reason he'd put it off the entire year until it really was impossible to get anything done before final exams. This year Jack was determined to make good on all his idealistic and optimistic talk. P.A.W. would be an instrument of social change. P.A.W. would make lives better for people who were suffering. Jack would stand up in front of strangers and talk. 

Jack bit is lip as he walked to the head of the classroom where the meeting was scheduled and attempted to stand behind the podium. He realized immediately he should have tried this before the meeting started, since the podium completely hid him from the seated participants. It was a good thing he hadn't planned to read from his notes.

Jack stepped out from behind the podium and cleared his throat. "Um, Hello there," he said tentatively. "Hello." Surprisingly conversation died down. Jack cleared his throat again and then began speaking.

"We are pals and allies of werewolves," Jack said. "We are here today to stand united and to declare our commitment to equality and good fellowship among all peoples.  For those of you who don't know me. I'm Jack Dare and I'm the founder of this club. However, the club is just a name without all of us coming together." Jack paused. It probably would have been better if there was applause here, he thought. He'd have to read more about inspirational speeches and figure out how that was done.

"Okay then. I thought we should keep this first meeting casual, and, you know, just get to know each other. So I thought each of us could introduce ourselves with the following three things: First tell us your name. Then tell us why you decided to become a member of P.A.W. , or why you want to know more about us if you aren't sure if membership is for you. Lastly, what sorts of things would you like to see us do. The last can be as big or small as you like. There are no bad suggestions. I will write all or them down and then maybe at a future meeting we can discuss them all further."

"So I'll go first," Jack said, clearing his throat again. " As I said before I'm Jack Dare. I want to be part of P.A.W. because some of the best people I know are werewolves." He glanced at @Julian Pritchard here and blushed. "And so last year in December, when my dad told me about that radio lady and what she'd done and about the horrible things people were calling in to say, I just wanted to do something to be able to show my friends that they were still my friends and that lycanthropy hadn't changed that. That, in a nutshell, is why I'm here."

"As for my idea... we will be hosting an information session next weekend called Wolves Speak Out where a couple of members of the club, @Julian Pritchard  and @Kay Wickham have volunteered to talk about what it's like to have lycanthropy. I have other ideas, but that's the most important one I can think of now."

"So...So that's me. Who would like to go next?"

OOC: Straight forward. This is a Getting to Know You club meeting. RP with

1) Name,

2) Why you joined P.A.W. /why you are here

3) An idea. Ideas need not be feasible. This is mostly just an IC open role-play.

Edited by Jack Dare

Aleksander Dracel-Cortes

Sprinting across the halls, Aleks was trying to make it in time for the first meeting of P.A.W. for the new school year. He'd been in Ravenclaw Tower when his father had sent him an owl with his brand new owl, whom he'd yet to name! Sliding into the classroom (think Tom Cruise in Dirty Business, just with more clothes on and less butt wiggling), he fought to catch his breath. In good time too, because that was when Jack was starting to discuss what P.A.W. was about! Finding a seat, he plopped right down and tried to see who had all joined them.

When no one spoke first, Aleksander stood up and figured he'd break the ice.

"Hello everyone!"- He tried to scale his excitement some, but getting to meet new people always made Aleks very happy. - "My name is Aleksander and I joined P.A.W. because I... well, I was talking to Jack during the feast and I saw the mayhem in the Great Hall. I don't know how I can help, but I just want to be of help in whatever way I can be."

The talk of having an information session on lycanthropy made full sense, but Aleks dreaded the sorts of people with countering points - or worse, those who hated werewolves could do. With how people were acting at the feast, who knew what could happen next. - "Aren't you worried about you know, anti-werewolf people showing up to ruin your session? Especially that one prefect, what's her name again? You know, the one from Hufflepuff."

Ollie Celeste

Dire fallout from the infamous events of the previous year had missed Ollie’s fathomability entirely. Instead of being at the scenes, the blonde had knocked herself out stone cold due to a potions mishap and missed almost everything. Ignorant bliss had been quickly dashed as her close friend Julian had found himself walking around with a target on his back, and in her quest to defend him and others she had stumbled across the two young boys working desperately hard to combat the hate. 

Proud to see her own Ravenclaws being the ones to take a stand, Ollie had not forgotten her promise made on the quidditch pitch that day and had shown up to the first meeting wearing her best fake dragonhide jacket and adorning the stolen sunglasses to look every inch the security personnel she had volunteered. “We will challenge her, and anyone else like her, if she tries to stop us,” she addressed the young boy and tapped her own prefects’ badge in an attempt to render the threat Behati posed as neutralized.

Disclaimer: It was not her own prefects badge, rather, @Seeley Pichardo old one as Ollie had forgot to pack hers – the colour was all wrong and every now and again the protective magic her friend had placed upon it would send a shock through her body, causing Ollie to literally let off steam on a daily basis.

“Ollie Celeste, passionate werewolf rights person and resident bodyguard for these meetings,” she addressed the group now, mostly for the benefit of the younger students given her reputation typically proceeded her. “I had the same concerns as you, Aleksander, and wanted to show up to make sure no one tried to stop this or could get away with spewing hate. Really, I think the first thing we need to do is listen then, once we know the reality of the students this affects most, act in their best interest. We need to clearly take a stand seeing as they are being extremely vocal.” 

Because it was rather shady, Ollie did not divulge the fact she was officially an apprentice to a Knockturn Alley potioneer who had been teaching her the wolfsbane potion...

Jerome Chan

Jerome came for this meeting happy but also a little nervous. He didn't really take a stance on things, and his parents told him it could be dangerous to make enemies. The anti-werewolf people were very loud and they seemed to hate everyone who sided with werewolves. And Jerome...could he say that he actually sided with the werewolves? He just wanted everyone to talk things out, and he thought that maybe this was a good first step to peace rather than separation. Still, he admired Jack quite a lot for starting this group up. Jack seemed to be smart, so he probably knew that doing something like this wouldn't be received well by everyone. He hoped that the young Ravenclaw would be alright.

Two other Ravenclaws spoke up, and Jerome tried his best to remember their names. It would be good to know who was on what side, just in case. Aleksander and Ollie...surely he could remember that. Aleksander was the one who said something about the Hufflepuff prefect. Jerome instantly knew who he was referring to, but the way he said it...it made it seem that all Hufflepuffs were like that. And that wasn't true at all! Ollie said something that Jerome really liked - that they should listen. If everyone talked, then no one would listen and everyone would disagree and there would be so much misunderstanding.

"Hi," he found himself saying. "My name Jerome Chan, I'm a second year Hufflepuff student. Actually, a lot of Hufflepuff students support the werewolves, even if one prefect from my house doesn't." Was that too forward of him? He hoped it wasn't aggressive, he just wanted to clarify that Hufflepuff was a peaceful house. "I want to support the group but I'm not sure if membership is for me." He didn't want to say that he'd rather not get too involved in case other people might target him. "I want to learn more about the situation, and I want both sides to talk. I think...I think maybe the anti-werewolf people are just scared or confused. If we sit and talk things out and tell them that they don't need to be scared or confused, then maybe everyone can be happy."

Phillip Aldermaston

Phillip didn’t actually have an idea – he was just here for the talk.  Or really, he was just here for the Q & A afterward.  So, introductions.  “Phillip Aldermaston.  7th Year Hufflepuff.  To be honest, I’m  mostly here so you know who I am when I turn up for the talk.  As for ideas….could we fundraise somehow?”   There were all sorts of ways: baking, woodwork, knitting, whatever other special skills they all had.   Phillip would write to his sister and talk to  @Rowan Allard but they didn’t need to know that.

Aleksander Dracel-Cortes

Ollie Celeste was his big damn hero. Nevermind that she carried herself like a BOSS, but she was really one to back her talk with the walk and Aleks could respect that in her. - "How do we challenge someone who is very wrapped up in her point of view, without, you know... dissolving into a fight?" - Like the badarse @Adam Sinclair who took no prisoners and had no qualms about it either. Engrossed in his thoughts, Aleks would go on to listen to Jerome's introduction.  A pang of guilt followed shortly after. 

"My apologies, Jerome." - He turned to the other boy, realizing in hindsight that he was acting like a right prat. - "I was not trying to generalise your house based on the actions of one person." 

And as if on cue, there was another Hufflepuff - the same one from the Great Hall that had given the Minister and by default the Ministry a verbal dress down that made Aleks look back upon that instance rather fondly. - "Fundraisers are a fine idea - but what would we do with the money?"

Phillip Aldermaston

Phillip snorted at the other boy’s comment  about prefects.  “Just remember that the teachers chose the prefects – we don’t vote, alright?” That was stated in a much gentler and nicer tone than the words would suggest though.

And then he shook his head at the other boy’s question.  “What we always wind up doing, namely the ministers’ and teachers’ jobObviously.” Why they bothered paying them, he didn’t know. 

And then he looked over at @Ollie Celeste- while he didn’t know about her apprenticeship, he did know that she’d been willing to brew Wolfsbane.  "Besides, even if the ministry  did do their job, expecting that to work is asking the werewolves to forgive more than I'm willing to ask them to"  The implication was pretty clear - Phillip wasn't going to expect werewolves to willingly ingest something from the same people  who authorized unforgivables on them.  Again, Phillip's tone was far gentler and nicer than the words would suggest.

And so he  looked over at Ollie.  “So what do we need, Ollie?”  Surely, she’d done some research.  And yes, he may shortly be in trouble for cross-talking. Oops.

Edited by Phillip Aldermaston
Ping

Jaxon Sinclair

"You could buy wolfsbane for the werewolves who are muggleborn and have limited access to it outside of school," Jack suggested with a shrug.  He wasn't entirely sure why he'd shown up for this thing at all.  His opinions on what it meant to be a werewolf were...decidedly different than Julian and Kay's.  They did not represent all of them or even offer a variety of viewpoints.  They were both more mild when it came to their behavior about lycanthropy.

Still, he supposed that since he was there, he ought to actually do what Jack Dare suggested.  After all, he was the only student in the school who had been organized enough and motivated enough to even put something like this together.

Jack cleared his throat.  "Jaxon Sinclair, but you can call me Jack," he filled in, pushing himself up straight and off the wall he'd been leaning against.  "I joined because I'm a werewolf and I thought that if anyone had questions about what that meant, some of us should be here to answer you.  I joined because I'm angry.  Not at any of you."  He clarified that quickly and shook his head.  "Just...at the whole situation...and I joined because if you lot are willing to try to make things better for us or to even just be friendly with us, then we should be willing to...I don't know...meet you halfway?"

Edited by Jaxon Sinclair

Phillip Aldermaston

Phillip didn’t actually want to meet Trudy either.  However, a lie could get halfway around the world before the truth had gotten its boots on.  But….he figured there was a way to manipulate the situation in order to expose the aurors’ unjust treatment of … well, mainly werewolves but everybody, really.  Mainly werewolves  in particular though.

Phillip interlaced his hands behind his head and leaned back slightly and looked at @Jaxon Sinclair  Questions about being a werewolf were….well…why he was here really.  “That would fall under the heading of winding up doing the ministers’ and teachers’ jobs.”   Shouldn’t the ministry be providing wolfsbane to muggleborn werewolves, anyway?  Phillip thought so – not that it really mattered.   Like he’d said earlier, expecting them to take it from the ministry was asking them to forgive an awful lot.

“I would have said obtain wolfsbane. But tomayto, tomahto.”  Begging, borrowing or growing – he didn’t really care. “We need a list and to sort out who’s getting what”  What?  It was a lot easier to avoid attracting attention with a little bit of forward planning.

Aleksander Dracel-Cortes

Aleksander did a double take and then a candle lit over his head...

"My father is a potioneer. We could owl and see if he could donate wolfsbane towards the muggle-born werewolves. I know my Nana was working on blood infused wine for the vampire community." - He volunteered knowing this meant asking his own family to assist the cause. - "At least that is a start, right? Maybe use the money to build warded areas for the muggle-born werewolves"

That was a start, no? To use one's privileges to assist others.

Josie Potter

Josie had promisesd @Jack Dare she would be a part of P.A.W.S. when he first announced the idea last year and she was there now for the meeting.  For the most part she remained quiet and listened as everyone else introduced themselves.  The ideas they were coming up with so far were ranging from small to massive projects but it seemed all of the ideas were good ones.  She was glad to see older students involved too.  When it finally got around to her, she introduced herself.

"Josie Potter, another Hufflepuff who supports this.  I'm here because I care and not just because I have family who are affected.  The way some people are treating others is so wrong," she stated.  

Harlan Starke

Harlan wasn't sure if he was in the right place until more people started to arrive. He sat down in his seat and waited for Jack to start his speech. He listened intently.

Harlan agreed that something had to be done and he would support that something - but come up with it? He was pretty good at solving problems, but not at communicating his solutions. Even if he did try to say something that would help, the words wouldn't be able to escape his mouth without blending together.

Another one of these verbal sharing things? he thought to himself, already worn out from the introductions in Transfiguration he had had to undergo. He waited for a lot of people to go and even start debating before shakily standing up."I think that werewolves... are friendly? And we should be nice to them," he finished, and then realized he had forgotten to say his name, just like in Transfiguration, "My name's Harlan Starke..," then his voice faltered and he fell back into his seat pathetically.

Phillip Aldermaston

Phillip studied  @Aleksander Dracel-Cortes's face for a moment and then  he shrugged.  “ Maybe.  Though that would create a record.” And then he looked at   @Jaxon Sinclairto see if that would be a problem – he didn’t know.   "Then again….maybe we should …code … it somehow.”  The word Phillip was looking for was ‘encrypt’.   

Of course, there were other things to consider.  “Though, what are we going to do about the minister’s little threat earlier?  Something has to be done.”  - the ‘little’ had been voiced in a tone soaked-and-dripping with sarcasm – the rest was a genuine question.

And yes, it was a threat and no, she wasn't there to talk.  There'd have been at least one secretary there if she wanted to talk. But no, the only people she bothered to bring were aurors.

Professor Foster

From a seat in the back of the classroom Lawrence whined. He hadn't expected to come back from WALK only to make this boring detour. He would much rather go HOME where he could chew on TROLL LAWRENCE? or sleep on his mistress' BAD DOG while she was out. Better yet she could let go of his leash and he would DOWNBOYDONTJUMP all over these children. That was always fun. Instead she expected him to HUSHNOW for who knows how long.

"Don't mind us," Professor Foster muttered, giving Lawrence's side a pat. "Just here for security. Carry on."

Edited by Professor Foster

Phillip Aldermaston

Really?  Professor Foster was here – to provide security? Yeah, right, her security consisted of writing letters to people who attacked other people when other people had no recourse against them – and said first people knew where the other people lived ten months of the year.

So yeah, someone who worshipped the ground that aurors walked on was no bloody use. Still, he’d be nice to her for the sake of having Lawrence around.   And he thought he….yep, if he patted his pockets, he had some deseeded apple slices and some chunks of carrots.   Though Phillip didn’t want to get the dog all excited for something he wasn’t allowed so he looked at @Professor Foster “So is….” – a gesture at the dog “allowed a-p-p-l-e-s  or c-a-r-r-o-t-s?”  And yes, Phillip had spelt those words all the way out.  "I think I have some" Phillip added, rather unnecessarily.

And then he looked down at the dog. “Who’s big and strong and handsome then?”  And yes, Phillip was speaking softly and although his tone was nice, the compliments were more what you’d give a horse.  Force of habit.

Professor Foster

Foster raised an eyebrow. "I can't say that I've ever tried offering them," she said, more surprised that anything. She also wasn't sure that she trusted Phillip of all people to feed her precious Lawrence, but as he patted his pockets for the aforementioned treats she thought, surely to Merlin he doesn't carry around poisoned produce just on the off chance that he might get an opportunity to poison my dog. She shook her head lightly and shrugged saying, "I don't know if he'd eat them, but we could always find out?"

She did put a finger over her mouth then signalling to Phillip that the two of them should try to be quiet with their food experiment and let the meeting proceed.

Jack Dare

As people spoke Jack's plan was to write down their names in his notebook and their ideas on a chalkboard where all could see. However just as Helmuth von Moltke famously said 'No plan survives contact with the enemy', Jack was learning the valuable lesson that participants have a mind of their own.  

He hadn't had to field @Aleksander Dracel-Cortes' question though since @Ollie Celeste conveniently provided the answer. Jack had yet to feel threatened by any of the anti-werewolf camp and so had not given much thought to any risk . If he were honest Ollie Celeste scared him more than a little, but since she was a friend of @Julian Pritchard's (and therefore standing on the side of righteousness) Jack was psyched to have her support. Jack wrote what she said on the board, and then after that it was all that he could do to keep up with writing all that was said. 

So far the chalkboard looked like this:

• LISTEN
  • ACT IN THE BEST INTERESTS OF THE STUDENTS MOST AFFECTED
  • CLEARLY TAKE A STAND
  • LEARN MORE ABOUT THE SITUATION
  • HEAR FROM BOTH SIDES
  • LET PEOPLE KNOW THEY DON"T NEED TO BE SCARED AND CONFUSED
  • RAISE FUNDS: (buy OBTAIN wolfsbane potion, wards for summer use)
  • APPEAL TO COMMUNITY LEADERS FOR DONATIONS
  • WE SHOULD BE NICE TO WEREWOLVES (And maybe everyone?)

The noise in the back of the room from Professor Foster's dog and Phillip's reaction to it was distracting to Jack that he stopped and cleared his throat, hoping to redirect attention.

"Um, it's my understanding from my summer reading that one should avoid early critiques in brainstorming. In other words now is not the time to discuss whether an idea is good or bad. We don't want to stifle contributions. Later we can decide what we most want to focus on and deal with, uh, feasibility." Jack was thinking especially about the wolfsbane which had also been his first thought for something they could use the money on, but he was also aware of how problematic that could be. How would they be able to vouch for it being good wolfsbane? But those were issues to figure out later rather than now.  Jack looked around the room to see if  he had offended anyone and if he was still allowed to continue. It felt odd to be leading a group, but he did have a superior intelligence so perhaps it was alright.

"So, uh, anyway i think this is really good so far, and we should keep going. I do want to make a few comments though maybe." It was still amazing to him that no one was interrupting him. "I want to thank Ollie Celeste for being here, and Professor Foster too, if you were worried about our safety. I really do think that the, um, problematic people are probably not the majority and that we really do have a lot of friends. I hope this group can be a focus to show the affected, and in fact everyone in the school, that there are friends who will stand up for friends, and we don't have to be afraid."

"Also as far as our detractors go, I think we need to look at them as individuals, and not as examples of their groups. So like, obviously Hufflepuffs aren't bad, just because one person who is a Hufflepuff doesn't like werewolves, and half-goblins aren't bad, and muggleborns or purebloods, I hope we will all not make blanket judgements about anyone. Or, you know, be mean or ugly, just because other people are being mean and ugly. I mean, that's just my suggestion, but I did promise our faculty sponsor that we would be a positive force and not contribute to the conflict."

Jack's tentative expression seemed to say 'Okay? Good? Am I still allowed to be in charge?' but he didn't voice his worries. 

"Um, right, so I might have missed something, but Phillip, did you say something about a threat? I didn't write that down because I didn't understand. Is there anything else I left off I shouldn't have?"

Edited by Jack Dare

Richard Stafford

Ringo showed up because Jack was his best mate and Jack was leading this meeting. Also, he had signed up for P.A.W and he figured he might as well attend the first meeting. That didn’t change the fact that he was still on the fence about the werewolves, but hopefully this meeting would give him some much needed reassurance.

“Here, Jack,” he announced his presence to his friend. Professor Foster and several other students were already in the room. “Mate, this is quite popular.” Ringo should’ve expected the meeting to be filled with people—the werewolves had more allies at Hogwarts than opponents, no matter how loud their opponents might have been.

Ringo read the chalkboard, then asked @Jack Dare: “Are we doing a bake sale or something? How are we supposed to raise funds?”

Jack Dare

"Well, I'll take all suggestions," Jack said to his close friend @Richard Stafford, "but I think a bake sale is a good one. @Alexander Crow has his grandmother's recipe, and I found a recipe for cookies shaped like little paws."  Jack gestured as if forming the paws in his hands. He was dead set on making these one way or another. "Also I've thought having t-shirts and badges might be nice. I'm torn on the slogan, but as I said we can work out details later."

Was 'Hug me. I don't bite?' a bridge too far? That was probably a slogan better presented to a smaller more trusted sub-committee.

Oliver Strausser

Oliver had been on edge. Not because he didn't believe in the cause; he felt strongly that the werewolf population was being severely mistreated (especially from what he had seen in the few days they had been at the castle). 

No, he just wasn't keen on speaking in front of people in large group settings.

He listened as a few people spoke, and they all had some fairly good ideas (at least they seemed good to him). It took awhile for him to form his own thoughts after listening, but he finally spoke up:

"We need community involvement." His voice was probably too quiet for everyone in the room to hear, but it was a start. "Starting off with us here at the school is great, but we can only do so much. And it doesn't have to just be leaders; there's plenty of...uh..."unofficial"' He used his to air quote, not even sure what word he was looking for with his nerves still plaguing him, "people who want to help. My mom, she owns Magical Creatures Maladies Menders outside Bristol. It's like a veterinarian's office. But she's desperate to find a way to help out, especially with the students here."

He paused for a second, then realized he never introduced himself. "Oh, and I'm Oliver, by the way. Oliver Strausser."

Edited by Oliver Strausser

Hailey Hoofer

Hailey hesitated before she entered the classroom. She wasn't sure if her siblings would be here or not, or whether or not they'd want her to join. So far, she'd been told to keep her head down and keep safe when it came to the werewolves, even though all three claimed they had no problems with the werewolves. Hailey felt they were hypocrites when it came to that, and she knew it was just because of their overprotective of her as usual. Lately, she'd been feeling very defiant against them.

She entered the classroom and then took a seat. None of them were in here yet, and it looked as if the meeting might have already started. She took a seat anyway.

"I'm Hailey Hoofer," she said. "I'm here because of what happened in the Great Hall. I think they all made some really good points, and I want to help fight for them. We could have games to play to raise awareness?" She honestly wasn't sure. She was willing to do whatever, but perhaps her suggestion could help if it hadn't already been said.

Phillip Aldermaston

Phillip had issues with Foster, sure, but he would never have inflicted that on an innocent bystander, no matter their species.   Besides which, she started it.  That’s what he would have pointed out if he had been a leglimens.

Since he wasn’t, he just dug in his pocket for the aforementioned treats  and found an apple slice which then had to be broken – since it was sized for a horse  - and then Phillip gently tossed one of the slice-pieces on the floor.  Yes, Phillip had been making some new friends over the summer holidays. Of the equine variety.

Th e comment about being mean and hurtful drew a response from Phillip  " Right.  Or...Taid would say 'repay evil with good and hell will not claim you.' "  Taid was a homophone of the English word 'Tide' and yes, Phillip had translated that.

And then  @Jack Dare got his attention.  “Oh?  Uh, yeah.  I asked what we were going to do about the minister’s little threat earlier because we have to do something.  Maybe … threat… wasn’t quite the right word  but…she’s not here just to talk.  Or even just to hold a meeting.”   The phrase Phillip had been looking for was ‘show of force’ – not that it really mattered given that the end result was the same and the end result was his point, really.

Phillip shrugged “She didn’t bring anyone to take notes.  She only brought aurors. Both would be one thing but….Think about it.” Not that both would have really been one thing but it wouldn’t have made it so easy for him to object. 

Saroyan Singer

Saroyan didn't get his knickers in a twist about much. When it came down to it, only a few things upset him: people disrespecting pineapple on pizza, people disrespecting each other, and governing powers disrespecting the people they use. At least two of those three things were in play here (and maybe the pizza thing, but he wasn't about to bring that up) and, if he'd had any doubts about the validity of the issue, they were alleviated the moment he saw the crowd that had gathered; if this many people were up in arms about the treatment of their werewolf classmates, something needed to change.

He sat quietly in the back while everyone else spoke, thoughtful in his silence; the ideas, from what he could catch between side-conversations and the extremely tempting presence of a dog were all valid, and all useful, just without a cohesive starting point to begin a movement. Most had rallies or walk-outs or protests—Saroyan thought that maybe that would be a little rough with magic involved. It was easier, maybe, to start from the inside.

"My stepmum says that half a movement is about appearances. That's why politicians and stuff kiss babies, innit?" Saro wasn't quite sure he bought into putting up a front to accomplish anything, but he couldn't deny that history found it successful. "Ya gotta spin the media, yeah?" He pointedly didn't bring up how at least one of the werewolves was...a little aggressive; deservedly so, in his opinion, but they all saw how one bad apple could sour the whole bunch and Saro didn't believe that all of the werewolves should be judged for one upset kid as much as he didn't believe all Hufflepuffs should be judged for the one loud aggressor. 

"People are always rallying for the underdog—" he paused, laughed, "—pun not intended, so maybe if we planned something that could bring in money and put them all in a position where everyone else actively wants them to succeed, that'll be a step in the right direction?"

He wasn't going to say it unless he needed to but: lake surfing competition.

Then baby kissing, then campus beautification, but only after they could all ride sweet waves.

"Oh, also! Saroyan Singer. I don't like people getting yelled at for things they can't help so...here I am, I guess."

Edited by Saroyan Singer

Ollie Celeste

Usually when people turned to her for advice it was a well appreciated ego boost. Leading came naturally to the blonde even if the paths she took people down were troublesome ventures. Take the questioning regarding challenging the bigoted without fighting: Ollie’s instinctive response was to shrug and say eh, just fight them if it comes down to it and she had the muggle and wizarding dueling skills to back her stance. But today she did not want to be given reigns of the meeting. Not just because it wasn’t hers in the first place, but because she did not want to be the spokesperson for a problem that did not affect her.

@Jaxon Sinclair hit the nail on the head,” she said to deflect from @Phillip Aldermaston's focus on her, “The entire system is rigged against werewolves. It’s like 'here’s a large dose of discrimination, now because of that you probably won’t get a job to afford to super expensive potion you should take once a month.' The Minister’s dumb diagrams and circle group exercises, rather than tackling this head on and rooting out the problem in the system, shows she’s not that bothered if you ask me. Hence the troubles with getting wolfsbane.” 

Casting a glance across to Professor Foster and dropping the volume in her naturally air-horn-adjacent voice, Ollie barely allowed Aleks to finish stories about his family before presenting what she had intended on leaving secret in the vaguest manner possible. “I can brew it. Well, I’m technically still learning but… I’m good,” it wasn't an humble brag or anything. Ollie was known for her brewing ability, adept enough to revert the professors into a teenage mental state when she was only in second year and supplying the troublemakers of Hogwarts with concoctions ever since. She had felt it only right to direct her skills into something helpful. 

“Dude, you don’t have to thank me for anything. You know, if anyone ever wants to learn some stuff to defend themselves I’m also happy to teach you. It’s better to be safe than sorry,” Giving @Jack Dare her signature finger guns in the wake of his appreciation, Ollie sat back and listened to the other assembled members speak up. Relief came when she realized a number of first years had not been put off by the arguments in the hall and had come to show their support. 

“Yeah, if we’re distrustful of the intentions of the Ministry, then broadening to other communities for aid - or at least simply making them listen – might be a better option for now. Like some sort of, I don’t know, series of magical unions? We pool resources, we spread the word so more people get involved, we have to show solidarity in the face of hate and not be like that stupid muggleborn society that banned werewolves.” She nodded at Oliver before turning to listen to Saroyan with her brow furrowed in deep thought.

What he said: politicians kiss babies.

What Ollie took from all of this: “We could always protest?”

Julian Banagher

Julian wasn't sure why he'd bothered to show up to the meeting.

He didn't exactly trust these self-professed allies. He knew that it was important to make connections with other people, to be friendly, and to not try to deal with his condition in isolation. Trudy bloody Veritas had been allowed to release all of their names on the radio, after all. He knew that friends were important.

But it was still hard to sit there, hearing other students debate about what they should do to help werewolves. Among the student werewolves, he counted four, including himself. That meant that 66% of the other student werewolves that the club could have known weren't even at the meeting as far as he could tell (they could have been running late, or sitting in the back like him, trying not to draw attention to themselves as far as he knew). 

The more they talked, the harder Julian's grip got on his robes. It's just talk, he thought. It's all it is.

"I have a question," Julian said, clearing his throat. "How many of you are friends with someone who is a werewolf? And hasn't just heard of us and things like the Trudy Veritas show? Because it really only sounds like you guys are interested in padding out your extracurriculars. And this is my bloody life we're talking about." 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.