Minister Granger-Weasley

Your First Day With Minister Granger-Weasley

Minister Granger-Weasley

@Cosette Mercier's words were a jumble of thoughts which had ended with a statement the Minister had not quite expected. She had not misheard, had she? No, it was clear she hadn’t.

“Fair enough,” she managed a soft smile. While she considered fourth year to be a little young to be, well… kissing, it was not part of her job as Minister to express as much.

Turning to @Avery Potter, Hermione nodded. “Sure, we can arrange a time to chat,” she agreed.

“Agreed.” Her attention now turned to @Ryszard Althaus-Valerio, whose irritation was made evident in the crisp delivery of his words. “As I have explained,” she addressed the room, “Everyone is here because they belong here, because it has been determined long before your arrival to Hogwarts. Campaigning for anyone to be expelled is going against centuries of wizarding tradition, not to mention ancient and highly respected magic neither you or I have any business questioning.”

Once again the Minister tried not to comment on @Adrina Althaus-Valerio or the kissing situation. It was quite sweet.

Hermione had already decided to inquire about the prefect she kept hearing about with the professors, however as her attention turned to the older years, it was possible she would be able to address it before then.

“Thank you very much for your input,” she addressed everyone once again. “I do find your voices to be valuable to me and it is my hope that the concerns you have right now will be less so in the near future.”

There was another brief pause as Hermione took another sip of pumpkin juice, then continued.

“Turning our attention now to the older students in the school,” she said. “I ask that you consider the words of the younger years before speaking, however I offer you open and honest conversation. Fifth years, if you have anything you’d like to express, you have the floor.”

---

Replies are currently limited to fifth year students onlyOne post per person until I post again. You will have 24 hours to post and I will be moving to sixth and seventh year students. Thank you. 

Alyssa Hoofer

Alyssa wasn't so sure about speaking up, but then again, she was a prefect. She was meant to be seen as an authority figure, and if the first and second years could speak up, then she could as well. After all, she'd successfully led the first years around sorting night without losing anyone. Talking to the Minister was different though, especially with what she felt she wanted to say.

"You say you're going to prevent this from happening again, but grown-ups have been saying that since your time, and you know that. They were saying it even before you came I bet because bad things keep happening here! I feel like it's something you'll do at first, but then security will slacken when everyone is relaxed, and we'll all be caught off guard again, or our children will be," Alyssa said. "I like it at Hogwarts, but I want it to be safe for me and my siblings, and my future children too. Do you have permanent plans? My boyfriend fainted after the attack."

She didn't add that she may have had something to do with it, given the fact that @Dorjee Shire Sherpa fainted after she kissed him. She often wondered if that was the beginning of the end for them, but she decided now was not the time to think about it. After all, they might have been okay, and she was just paranoid.

Edited by Alyssa Hoofer

Behati Gadot

Finally. Behati had been waiting for her chance to speak since this whole kangaroo court erupted. She made sure that she was one of the first to stand up so that her questions would be one of the first to be answered. “Minister Granger-Weasley,” she started off after @Alyssa Hoofer had finished, smoothing down her uniform skirt. “It was recently reported in the Daily Prophet that two werewolves who are fierce supporters of the late Fenrir Greyback escaped Azkaban. I’m well-aware that I don’t need to remind you of who Fenrir Greyback was, ma’am. My questions to you, as well as the entirety of the Ministry, is how could such a thing have happened? And how can you and the Ministry claim to be able to protect us when this is the second time that a breakout of its kind has happened? How does a world renowned prison that’s guarded with twenty-four-seven security get broken out of mere months after a werewolf sanctuary was broken out of by the eight werewolves who attacked us at our school—our alleged safe space—on November 8th? What is the Ministry truly doing to ensure our safety? And how can anyone claim that we’re safe at school with the newly turned werewolves if Azkaban, of all places, couldn’t keep feral werewolves, who are intent on harming others, captured?”

She paused to take a breath, then finished off: “I want to trust you, Minister. Really, I do. My parents can tell you that I’ve got your poster on my bedroom wall back at home. I want to be on your side—the side of the good guys. I became a Prefect because the staff at this school know that I support law and order, and safety. But these facts are not adding up, and I can’t say that after all that’s happened that I’m up for playing a game of chicken with my life, or the lives of my fellow students who just want to learn and not be mauled to death.”

Students like @Amelia Martin.

Edited by Behati Gadot
hi, Alyssa! <3

Arwa Hashmi-Andrada

The Minister coming to Hogwarts to hold an assembly had made Arwa incredibly wary at first. She trusted the woman, despite everything that had happened during the werewolf attack, but it felt more like yet another volatile explosion waiting to happen. If that happened in front of Hermione, of all people, she had a feeling there would be no survivors left. People would be expelled and someone would end up either dead or in Azkaban. That was the last thing Arwa needed in her life, especially when she was still struggling with penance for letting Julian down in the worst way.

Arwa snorted as Behati went off on another rant. It was getting tedious, at this point, the way the girl would spout off twisted words and try to pass them off as the only, refutable truth. It was personal for Arwa: she had been pulled in by her haunting speeches, wanting to save Julian and the rest of her friends from getting hurt — but as she watched her fellow classmate go off on a tirade, foaming at the mouth, she realised just how far Behati had come from being the sweet girl that had once taken Arwa by the hand and pulled her out of a world of isolation.

”Minister,” she said, when it was finally her turn to speak. Arwa had a leg thrown over the other one, a perfect picture of comfort and poise. “Everyone keeps talking about a rotten prefect. That’s her.” She pointed at the Hufflepuff so there wouldn’t be any doubt who she was talking about. “She’s a complete bigot. In more ways than one.”

Minister Granger-Weasley

“You’re absolutely right. Sorry, excuse me.” Hermione took another long drink of pumpkin juice as her voice began to crack from overuse. It had been a long day, but it had been well worth it, or so she hoped. She returned to address @Alyssa Hoofer’s concerns.

“The thing about dark wizards, or those people in the world with evil intent, is that they will always find a way. It may take them decades, years, months, days, we are never sure. But they will manage to break down the barriers we have created in some way, whether by new magic, old magic, new strategies or force, full-on surprise, or any mixture of those means. That may sound like a pessimistic viewpoint to some, but I assure you it’s the only way to remain constantly vigilant.” A nostalgic warmth curled her lips, but she continued.

“Without diving too deep into the psychology of humans, although it’s an infinitely interesting topic and I highly recommend exploring it, I’ll explain it a bit like this: If you’ve ever come across a puzzle you want to solve or a problem you have to fix, or maybe even…” Hermione thought for a moment to appeal to everyone in the room, “A cookie locked in a cookie jar that you need to eat but aren’t supposed to, what happens? You think about it; you can’t take your mind off of it. That delicious cookie with chocolate morsels just begging to be eaten, that unsettled argument with your best friend that keeps you awake all night, that one missing piece that won’t let you rest until you’ve found it. It’s in our nature to get to those things that are made unavailable to us. It’s based upon our survival instincts and our sheer will.” That would be enough digression to confuse them, Hermione. Good going. She shook her head at herself.

“What I mean is, we can be ten steps ahead of our enemies, but they will manage to catch up at some point, because while we may be on our side without any pressing issues in our own minds, they are busy thinking of how to get that last puzzle piece, how to get that answer or that solution they’ve been looking for. That thing that’s been keeping them awake. It isn’t that security measures begin to slack, necessarily, it’s that we aren’t thinking far enough ahead of our threats to prevent them. We aren’t considering what it is they want, or in their minds, need. But that’s going to change, and again, that’s why it’s important that you help.” The Minister wondered if they understood her point.

“The recent attacks are at a level of aggression and nature that we have not yet been prepared to fight against. I take full responsibility for not being able to prevent these threats, but I, your professors, Headmistress McGonagall, and my Ministry are doing everything in our power to keep you safe from harm. We were not prepared enough during the Second Wizarding War, but there will not be a third. Our enemies right now do not have to be our enemies. At their very worst they can be very dangerous, but they can also be heard and understood and given the things they need so that their survival instincts are not feeling threatened. Does that make sense?”

Her mind was nearly shot and she took a deep, measured breath. This wasn’t everything she wanted to say, but @Behati Gadot had some pressing questions as well. Hermione nodded in understanding.

“The break in at Azkaban is an example of those with evil intent finding a way. While I can’t comment on the situation because the investigation into the magic performed is still ongoing, I will say that security at Azkaban has been top notch for years, but being top notch sometimes is not enough, as we have found. We will build upon this new knowledge and we will become stronger - and rest assured, we will find the escapees and they won’t be getting out again.” Hermione would see to it herself if she had to.

“Again, Behati, I wish I could stand here before you today and guarantee one hundred and twenty percent that nothing bad will ever happen again in our world, but I cannot. I can only urge you to be understanding and open with one another so that history does not repeat itself again and again and again. And listen to your professors, who want to teach you how to be prepared for danger.” She looked at Professor Foster.

It was a shock to hear the next statement, and the scarlet and gold on @Arwa Hashmi-Andrada uniform made sense of the boldness in her expression.

“I see,” she commented, pondering her response.

“Bigotry is a severe accusation which can be quite hurtful, so Arwa and Behati, please know that I am not accepting that statement as fact and we won’t be discussing it further, with respect for both of you. I would, however, like to express the importance of keeping each other informed and educated in healthy and meaningful ways which are not destructive to one another. It is possible. Please, just try.”

Unfortunately, she would have to leave it at that.

“I would now like to hear from our sixth and seventh year students. Is there anything you wish to say today?”

---

Replies are currently limited to sixth and seventh year students onlyOne post per person until I post again. Thank you.

Edit: Links to each of my posts in the first post have been updated.

Nox Bordelon

Nox had intended to keep his mouth shut.  First, because it was entirely likely that Minister Granger-Weasley was absolutely aware of his mother's whole con artist scheme and, as such, knew of his involvement in it.  It was possible she thought of him as a petty thief, a smooth talking swindler, or a worthless juvenile delinquent.

She would have only been wrong about that very last point, after all, and only because he wasn't totally worthless.  Everything else had been true, including the delinquent bit.

His second reason for keeping his mouth shut was a general loathing of all politicians and anyone with a salary that resulted in left over money at the end of the month, but who still gave That LookTM to the less fortunate.  He knew Hermione was a politician, but he imagined she collected a pretty paycheck as a result and was therefore both of those hated things.

However, equality and the law (which indicated innocence until proven guilty) and safety measures were more important than his personal qualms with Hermione.  

"Minister, you're standing here preaching that our werewolf students, however changed they might be, still have a right to an education here," Nox began carefully.  "You're talking about inclusion and understanding and all these plans you have to get a werewolf intern for the summer, and that's great.  Really.  Looks real good."  He gave her a thumbs up, about as mocking as he'd dare be before he dove headfirst into the real problem he had.

He looked directly at her for it.

"You authorized your Aurors to strip vampires of their wands based on archaic legislation," Nox continued.  "Do you intend to allow the Jacobin lobbyists to bully you into doing the same to the werewolves?  Is it such a stretch to believe that you might after you already authorized the use of the Unforgivable Curses on them?  Do you think this fear-mongering some people are hiding under the thin veil of a 'concern for safety' is toxic to the magical community as a whole?  Moving forward, do you intend to put any legislation forward to protect the rights of werewolves and vampires?  Rights that have been so publicly and brutally violated by your administration and by the staff at this hell-school?"

Maggie Sinclair

She’d been prepared to sit there quietly, with minimal fuss as the minister of magic attempted to get on their level as it were, content to listen to her classmates and professors for however long this bloody thing lasted. Until Arwa dispensed with the niceties and started spilling the tea. Maggie let out an appreciative ‘yaaaaaaaaaaaaaah’ at the girls candor, before pushing to her feet in the next instant, glad the woman had finally gotten to the people in her year. She didn’t plan to speak for all of them so much as herself and her family, but then Nox was stood tall right next to her, questions coming fast and brutal.

She only let him finish because his whole talk nerdy thing was the business, okay? Just, yes. No time for that though, because this was also serious business and Maggie waited patiently for an opening to add her two sickles to the mix.

“I'm Maggie Sinclair" she greeted, her tone annoyed, fist balled and brow furrowed in barely tempered rage. " And my  family was affected by a lot of stuff last year, just like yors, and you’re telling me the onus is on me to try to talk sense into someone who has no issue telling first years their family members are going to kill them in their sleep?” Her baby brother had briefed her on the prefects sorting night exploits and she was just not bloody having it.

“That I need to be understanding of a point of view that’s actively harming my brothers?” She’d taken a step towards the minister in her agitation like she was ready to fight the woman, only to be brought up short by a hand at her shoulder. It was enough to get her voice to even out again and recognize just where she was and who she was talking to. Bless @Nox Bordelon

“Minister-“ she started again, a bit more evenly. “I appreciate what you’re trying to do here, but telling us to educate each other in the face of people obviously not wanting to hear anything but their own opinions isn’t going to do anyone any good unless the education is mandatory.”  In the wake of such a hot button issue like taking wands off part-vampires and even the new security protocols around the school, discussing the forcible learning of interpersonal communication skills and compassion probably wasn’t the way to go, but in her opinion, a few sensitivity workshops were long overdue.

That and some goddamn grief counseling.  

Maggie looked around at her peers. “If we all have to suffer through Gawkrodger explaining where babies come from, then I think we can all suck up a few classes on not actively being a d-bag.”

Edited by Maggie Sinclair

Seeley Pichardo

Finally.   

She had sat and listened and waited through valid points and endless questions; nodding along when she thought she agreed with something and scowling at the remarks that made her fingers twitch towards her wand but the blonde held her tongue and resisted the urge to speak out of turn despite how strong it was to commend @Jaxon Sinclair for saying what was on his mind or to smite certain others to the ceiling for pretending they were looking out for anyone but themselves.

She wasn't heartless, she understood the reasons why anyone would fear a werewolf at all, but they had been over this all so many times by now that it seemed like a wizarding wireless had been tripped on repeat, glitching out of control.  Unless the new wolves discovered a way to open doors or speak in riddles and passwords instead of growls they weren't going to be appearing in front of anyone's beds in the middle of the night and so they weren't a threat.  Seeley was tired of hearing that they were.    

The bigger threats were on the outside and she had finally decided she still wanted to be a part of rounding them up.  The other issues had already been beat to death in this room and so the Head Girl decided to take a page out of her mentee, @Jacqueline Frost's book and go to bat for herself instead of diving deeper into this disaster pool any further.   

The short blonde raised her hand in the air briefly and stepped forward to get the Minister's attention.  Unfortunately, @Nox Bordelon managed to speak up just a hair faster and she twitched in frustration before biting it down and letting her housemate get out his thoughts.  At it were they only helped to support where she was heading anyway.   A moment (and some more words from @Maggie Sinclair) later she tried again. 

"Seeley Pichardo, Ma'am, Seventh year..." She offered, just in case the badge wasn't enough of an indicator.   "You said it's important that we help, and I take that request very seriously, from both sides.  Defense is... kinda my thing." She smiled ever slow slightly and caught her father's eye from across the room.   "But, I was in the great hall when those wolves came through and did what I could slow them down without unforgivables..." She made sure to mention and drew in a breath.   

"I planned on applying to the academy after graduation, but the recent actions made me think twice about that.  How can I feel good about working for an organization that advocates use of the same things we've just spent years learning to fight against?  I want to save lives, not sacrifice more of them."    

Edited by Seeley Pichardo

Phillip Aldermaston

Nox Bordeleon’s comment made sense.  And Phillip would chime in with the unforgivables thing later but for now…something else needed pointing out.  Phillip Aldermaston, seventh year hufflepuff. Minister, with all due respect....   And again, Phillip’s tone was kept level and sincere.   There isn’t a tactful way of saying this but it needs to be said  so I’m just gonna spit it out.”  After a few deep breaths.

Phillip’s tone was sincere because well…it was with all due respect so that part was genuine – that the minister didn’t deserve much respect was not a fact that could be helped. “Promised berries don’t fill a basket or bake a pie.  We’ve all heard this before.    Because, really, they had heard it all before – it was just talk and a bunch of excuses.    What they needed is to see it.  What was the point of her actually being here?

Phillip shook his head again at the words coming out of the Minister’s mouth.   Did nobody else notice how she completely ignored her duty and claimed it was impossible?  Phillip nodded again at Nox Bordeleon’s comment.

“I mean, I’m sure the minister has an excellent reason for enforcing it?  Otherwise, if you’re not going to pass Nox's suggestion,  do I need to start worrying about where I’m allowed to sit on the bus?”   The first comment was nonsense – Phillip did not, in fact, think the minister had an excellent reason – he was just making a point.   Though Phillip did mouth “You’re right” at both  @Seeley Pichardo and  @Nox Bordelon when he thought  @Minister Granger-Weasleywasn’t looking.

The latter comment?  Well, of course, that was a ridiculous comment but to be honest, that was kind of Phillip’s point – he was trying to shock the Minister out of her weaksauce I-can’t-do-anything-but-students-certainly-can nonsense.    Because…if they were going to take vampires ‘ wands away then…it wasn’t different.  But it was different enough to wizards that it might work as a shock tactic.  Hopefully?  Wizarding stuff wasn’t working to make the point so maybe ancient muggle history would work.

Phillip nodded at Seeley Pichardo’s comment.  People of …. Eighteen at most were having to do their job for them - while they complianed there was only one way.    And he still thought  @Professor Foster was a moron for allowing the talk to take place while they were shut in and aurors being right there and everything to allow unforgivables was already set up

Edited by Phillip Aldermaston

Veronica Dursley

Veronica had sat on the sidelines enough the past five years, and it was honestly time for her to turn over a new leaf. She couldn't have thought of a better place to do that than in a setting that involved the Minister, and it just so happened that she had a familial connection with one of the Minister's closest friends. Sure, it wasn't one that she had overly relied on, but it was one that was their none the less, and she wondered if she could pull enough influence from it by just mentioning it at all.

"Veronica Dursley, first cousin twice removed of your head auror, my grandfather would happen to be Dudley Dursley," she began, "and did you not state that we must not let history repeat itself? In the books for History of Magic that touch on the subject of the Second Wizarding War, it mentioned that a break out at Azkaban from Death Eaters preceded the Battle of Hogwarts. Isn't this what happened at Azkaban? The prisoners that were known Death Eaters escaped, isn't that right? That's what the reports I've read and heard have said."

She took a breath and looked at Minister Granger-Weasley, "How can we be so sure that a third wizarding war isn't about to take place? How can we be sure that these marginalized communities that you yourself have marginalized because of isolated incidents won't rise up and start the war on their own? I believe, that fairly or unfairly, your ministry has created their own enemies. If, you, Minister Granger-Weasley, are truly about equality and fairness for all, muggleborn, half-blood, pureblood, part veela, part giant, part goblin, etcetera; then you owe it to yourself to look in the mirror and look at what you've become, because it seems pretty obvious to everyone here that you've changed, and changed for the worse."

Wyatt Lazarus

Wyatt had not been affected as much as the other students on the evening so long ago. He had been knocked over by a wolf, yes. He had suffered a few nightmares in the aftermath, secretly. He knew that he would never be able to assist in the way of spells or defence. He knew that he had no issue with the wolves at Hogwarts - they had every right to be there as much as he did. Ignoring a few of his outspoken classmates, Wyatt waited for a moment of silence in order to speak to @Minister Granger-Weasley

"Wyatt Lazarus, ma'am. I wish to speak with you about the cost and availability of the wolfsbane potion. I understand there is no trouble in our fellow students receiving the potion whilst they are in school. I have no issue with them being here, everyone is allowed an education and I, for one, do not see them any differently to how they were before. What I do have an issue with if some not being able to access the potion whilst outside of school due to cost. As a potioneer I would like to know how I can assist in changing this once I graduate and whether it is something the ministry will assist me with."

Damaris Denton

Hearing her classmates vociferously defend werewolves made Damaris shrink on the spot. How could they be so confident that the werewolves that attacked the school that night were innocent? How could they think that vampires wouldn't attack them if they weren't given the chance? 

She thought back to her conversation with River. He was just as much of a victim when he'd been bitten as she was the night of November 8. On some level, she knew that River didn't want to hurt her. But on another, she had to wonder what would happen if safeguards failed at Hogwarts. Every month, they were living with a dozen werewolves under their roof. There was so much that could go wrong, even if it was a tragic accident.

"I..." she said softly, so softly in fact that her words were barely audible. "I just don't know. About a lot of things. I know that none of the werewolves want to hurt us, but I'm scared about something like that happening again. I wish I wasn't, but I just am." 

"Seeing the werewolves refuse to go with the aurors last year was really scary. They could have transformed right in the Great Hall and attacked all of us," she continued, fiddling with the sleeve on her robes. "I wish I could support people more, but I can't get over my own fear." 

Desmond Potter

He had been sitting there, near the back trying to figure out if he should say anything. The minister was his family for one, and she knew that two people in his family were bitten that night and it was scary to think that something could happen or what not. 

Then he heard @Damaris Denton say something, and he got a bit sad hearing what she was saying. Fear was something that was real, and he knew it all too well. He didn't know about what happened in the great hall the night of the events, but he was at the quidditch pitch and everyone was scared. 

Because of the attacks and knowing that some people did try to help, like his Ex - @Seeley Pichardo - he was worried that she would get hurt. "Minister, I believe Damaris is right. Some people have fears that are greater then what they want to believe. I know that my family, doesn't want to hurt me, but also what if they do, what if something does go wrong? What is something we can do, as the older students here, to be able to help out."

Minister Granger-Weasley

“Many things that are being discussed in the magical community currently are toxic, yes” she began, watching @Nox Bordelon with an attentive gaze while addressing his questions and comments. “Right now, I am in the process of gathering information and facts to make several decisions moving forward. This includes speaking with you today, touring the country to speak with others, as well as a thorough look into all departments in the Ministry.” She suspected the Ministry workers would all be very happy about that one. The Department of Mysteries would have to hide the cutout of her face they used for target practice - although if it helped with their aim in the end, all the better.

Because it was not necessarily common knowledge, Hermione decided a little context on the Ministry’s relationship with vampires was necessary. She spoke with patience and transparency, as she would an equal. “Vampires are not capable of wizarding magic. They in fact have their own powers, therefore they do not require wands, in the same way that our lovely house-elves don’t require them. The wands which law enforcement confiscated from part-vampires recently were obtained by illegal means, which has become a growing problem in our community. You may recall seeing news surrounding stolen wands or graves which had been robbed. These were traced back to illegal markets which then sold to many others, all beings included.” It remained unclear what a vampire would want with a wand. The wand would not choose them and would be more for decoration than anything, but to each their own.

“I understand how it may have looked if you were not fully informed,” she said, as was the case with every step she had taken during her time as Minister. “However, I don’t blame you for believing the worst at this point. I can only prove the opposite by my actions moving forward, and that is my intent.”

Next to speak was @Maggie Sinclair, and the rolling theme for the older years (and the Sinclairs) was quite clear, though Hermione kept her lips delicately closed as she listened. The rage was understandable, but the Minister remained still as the girl moved forward.

“I’m a personal fan of any and all education. If a class on humanity is something you think will help, we can certainly speak about it with your professors. However.” Her tone and expression were even.

“I’d like to add that the attitude of ‘nothing good will come of this’ is not helping either. If every one of you tries just little harder to step out of your comfort zone and begin to learn with and about each other, it will make a difference. If the world was on fire and all it took was for each existing human to douse the flame with a tiny dash of water, would you not try?” It was entirely possible at this point that there would be people who wouldn’t. Hermione would not have been surprised at that response.

@Seeley Pichardo spoke next, and her bravery was well respected by the Minister. “Firstly, thank you for protecting your peers. I know it took a lot, and I’m sorry that you were ever in that situation.  Secondly, Seeley, I want you to know that I am also sorry that you had to see how fear and ignorance affected decisions made under my Ministry. I fully understand if that has tarnished your regard for law enforcement, but again I will be making changes to ensure that this mistake will not happen again. We can discuss this later, if you’d like,” she offered.

“I’m getting to the baking part, I promise you,” the Minister replied to @Phillip Aldermaston, whose fears about vampires, much like Nox’s, were hopefully extinguished by the information she’d provided. "You all are part of the process."

Next was @Veronica Dursley, who somehow managed to be quite Dursleyish despite sitting amongst the people the Dursleys had despised. Interesting. “Simply put, I will not allow it to happen.” She’d seen the signs herself, but the Minister was positive she knew what it took to prevent it, and she would do all it took even if it killed her.

“You are entitled to your opinion, of course, Veronica, and anyone who feels the same. However, I stand by my statement that I would not be standing here right now facing hell once I step back into my office if anything about me has changed.” She took another sip of pumpkin juice and moved on.

“That’s very kind of you, @Wyatt Lazarus. I will see to it that you have the resources you need to do this. We can speak later about it if you’d like.”

@Damaris Denton’s comments made Hermione’s chest swell with a certain pride, if she were to be perfectly honest. Her eyes softened considerably. “I know personal fear can be an incredibly difficult thing for some to admit, but I thank you for your honesty.” @Desmond Potter then added on to Damaris’s point with questions on what they can do.

“I want you all to look at Damaris and Desmond and note that this is exactly how we can begin to approach this situation. So, to each of you,” she looked at them both, “you’ve already begun to support your peers and others by setting a wonderful example for others to follow, and I applaud you.” The Minister gave an appreciative clap at the pair.

“I think I’d like to hear from everyone on this question, if that’s alright with you, Desmond.” Hermione moved with more energy now, glancing around with an encouraging smile. “What are some things you think you all can do to help?”

---

Replies are now open to all of those who have helpful suggestions onlyOne post per person until I post again. Thank you.

Julian Banagher

While Julian was itching to get out of the assembly, he did have one thing he wanted to say to his peers, one thing that he thought would be helpful.

“If you want to be our friends, that’s good, but um...don’t look at us like we’re charity cases.”

Jacqueline Frost

For the most part Jack behaved after she'd gotten a step on the right direction with The Plan™ even if there was more than one person who she wanted to attack for their stupidity. Still there was one thing that caught her attention and that was the mention of part vampires. 

And their wands. 

“Illegally?” Jack frowned. Something didn't make sense about any of this. “Wasn't one of the vampires whose wand was taken employed by the Primary!? How could something like that go undetected for so long? If we want to talk safety — actual safety and not one stemmed off paranoia and ignorance like that of some people — then shouldn't it be looked into how no one noticed anything until they decided to enforce a law that everyone pretended didn't exist until it became convenient? First a Ministry worker is responsible for our names getting to Trudy's hands... with full offense @Minister Granger-Weasley, you're being played by your own people and you're either too blind to notice it or really good at pretending you haven't noticed and I don't know which one is worse.”

Step 2: gain trust so no one suspects anything. 

"Like shouldn't this be on the top of the agenda? You can't ensure our safety if the Ministry is compromised. Might I suggest veritaserum. It's for a good cause after all."

Edited by Jacqueline Frost

Aggie Price

@Damaris Denton and @Desmond Potter had really brought up some good points in a more clear way than any of the others had, especially Damaris.  And the one point that stuck in Aggie's mind was the example of the student werewolves not wanting to go with the aurors that one particular night.  That led her to step up with a suggestion that she was not sure how others would feel about but wouldn't know till it was brought out.

"@Minister Granger-Weasley," she began, "It was brought up how the werewolves were not willing to go with the aurors that night and I can understand why they would not.  Many of us saw or heard the use of the unforgivables that night on the attacking werewolves.  I know I would have thought more than once about not going with them if it had been me.  Perhaps finding a way to build or rebuild trust between students and aurors instead of the fear that is there right now."

It wasn't much and Aggie was not sure how that would go about happening but it needed to happen.

Nox Bordelon

"Using veritaserum on people is just as bad as illegally searching and seizing their homes and belongings," Nox hissed in the direction of @Jacqueline Frost.  "A person's thoughts should be a sanctuary."  If @Minister Granger-Weasley started dosing people with veritaserum, Nox was going to end up spending the rest of his days rotting in some rusted jail cell for petty thievery.

His attention then turned back to the Minister.  "Vampires obviously want wands if they're stealing them, so either you're lying and their magic, although different, can still be conducted through a wand or they're bloody morons.  If it's the former, it should be legal for them to obtain wands.  Why should that be a luxury afforded only to humans?  I think @Phillip Aldermaston's metaphor was appropriate.  This feels an awful lot like we're pushing vampires and other part-humans or humanoid beings to the back of the bus, insinuating that we, as magic-using humans are somehow superior to vampires and part-vampires.  If the concern is that vampires will be too powerful with a wand, need I point out that there were extraordinarily powerful, entirely human witches and wizards.  Albus Dumbledore, Gellert Grindelwald, Tom Riddle."  The Hufflepuff paused and looked pointedly at the Minister.  "You, Minister.  Is it truly fair to punish them and restrict their capabilities because of something they might do?"

Nox took a breath and trudged forward.  "If it's the latter and vampires are just idiots, then let them waste their money on wands.  It's a benefit to Ollivander's.  So my suggestion is that instead of enforcing ancient laws that nobody even cared about until recently, why don't we amend legislation and embrace the vampires as part of our community?  Perhaps extending a hand rather than punishing innocent part-humans could prevent more tragedies like what happened in Gwaed last year."

Seeley Pichardo

Seeley was relatively uneducted on the plight of the paart-vampire situation and that was completely her fault.  Her mind had been so preoccupied with her own grief and trying to handle everything going on at school that she hadn't had much energy left to seek out information on what other disasters were creeping in on them from the outside.  Trying to manage the one problem she already knew about was enough, though she fixated hard on what Nox was saying now and then tried to make sense of the answer the minister offered.  Something didn't make sense, if the wands were useless, then why would they want them?  They must be useful for something.  Someone wasn't up on their research, but that wasn't something she could solve right here and now.   

But what she could do was take advantage of the opportunity she was being given when it was being given to her, and she would.   The hufflepuff breathed in to steady the sudden roll of nerves that turned her stomach and nodded at @Minister Granger-Weasley.  She didn't feel the same exact starstruck feeling she had felt the couple of years before when @Desmond Potter had introduced her to his grandfather but at one point the two of them had very much been her heroes and the young child deep inside of her was setting off firewinks.  The seventeen year old, however, jaded by the glimpse she'd gotten of how things really worked was intent on dampening the fuses with expert shower charms.   

"I'd like that very much minister.  I still think it could be the right path for me, but I'd like to know what changes you're talking about and I know I'd be an asset."  She might have been young, but confidence wasn't something she lacked.   A few more of her classmates spoke up, Wyatt's offer made her smile and she was glad the minister took him seriously.  But, it was Desmond speaking up that surprised her the most, especially when it was his words that managed to be the step off point for turning the whole seminar around.   She almost wanted to smile at him, but she didn't, instead her eyes found a spot on the floor to focus on and she held her tongue.  She'd already spoke out enough for what she wanted to say and there were far better people that knew how to work these emotional things anyway.   

Phillip Aldermaston

Phillip shook his head – what the hell was wrong with her?  It’s not like nothing was helping.  It’s just that all this flap and chatter wasn’t going to help.  Because they’d been promised things too many times  and right now, he wanted ...some actual concrete actions.

And no, they weren’t equals.  Her hired thugs and the locked-in stuff proved that.  As for her nonsense about the fire, what was happening was that the people with the fire engine were just sitting there and a bucket chain of random people had long ago been organised and set to work. And Phillip kept his tone level and sincere.  Minister, I’d check it wasn’t an electrical fire first before I go dumping water on it, since you asked.”

And then @Nox Bordelon spoke up which prompted Phillip to add “Hmm…minister, I’m sorry, but I cannot have heard that correctly.  If the wands were stolen or illegal trade then surely, the part-vampires and vampires would have just been arrested for stealing  or…. Whatever the usual charge for buying illegal things is...given that both thosethings are already illegal and those laws are already enforced.  Right?”  Why would they enforce the more specific law … unless…they didn’t have enough evidence for the general one and this was a loophole?

And again, minister, there is no tactful way to say this and with all due respect,   Yes, Phillip genuinely did mean that  The helpful suggestion would be start baking.”   She could literally bake right now – all she had to do was unlock the doors.  Enough talk, do things.

As for recipes, to continue with the metaphor, I think @Jack Dare probably has some.”  And then he flashed Jack Dare an encouraging smile and tried for an encouraging thumbs up.

Edited by Phillip Aldermaston

Arabella Jones

There had been words flying around since the start of the assembly, and Arabella had watched it all with a fixed frown on her face. She was firmly on the side of anyone that pointed out the hypocrisy of the way both the system and Hogwarts had been functioning lately — punishments only for one side of the debate, wands being snatched and then it being justified by something as fickle as might and could. Arabella had seen the ugly side of the law in her father’s work, and sometimes the ugly side was all there was.

”You keep mentioning the legality of things, but forget to mention that the law is not always just,” she began, standing right next to Maggie and her boyfriend. “The supposedly ‘illegal means’ may be the only way for some people to obtain a wand — not because they don’t have magic or because they shouldn’t carry a wand, but because they have no funds to buy it the more...legally sanctioned way.” She paused as she mulled over some of the arguments that had been raised so far, trying to choose her words carefully. “That’s the exact same problem werewolves are faced with when attempting to acquire wolfsbane, because the system is permanently rigged. The people who are supposed to protect us, don’t; the people who are supposed to make the laws to maintain society are always unjust; and the economy always falls on one side of the balance. The wrong side.”

She was from that world, and she knew perfectly well what it was like to live beyond one’s means. The Jones family had made their fortune off of the backs of people wrongfully accused and prisoned — her father may have worked in the Muggle world, but that didn’t change the glaringly obvious parallels.

”I want to raise another issue, though. Something that’s a lot closer to home and more easily resolved,” she leaned forward until she was staring right at Hermione. “This school faced a horrific attack that left many scarred and several transformed forever, but the Healers that flew in with aid were only there to take care of the immediate injuries. No one has thought about the emotional turmoil this put us all through, and the effect its having on not just the werewolves’ mental health — which is a tremendous amount already — but on everyone else’s. All this fear,” she pointed at Damaris, then, smiling at her roommmate. “All of the negativity, it’s coming from somewhere, and without anywhere else for it to go, we’re lashing out at each other.”

The previous year played out through her mind again: the disgusting protests, the fights breaking out on an almost daily basis, and fire. “Most of us don’t have the ability to work through this by ourselves, or we don’t have the support system that would require. Those people need someone to talk to, and more importantly, no one is listening to what the new werewolves have to deal with, not just on a monthly basis, but on a daily basis.” She balled up her hands, exhaling deeply. “That’s something I would like to do to help, Minister. Counsel and talk to anyone that needs it, especially the younger students, but so far, Hogwarts doesn’t have anything like that on staff. We can’t talk to our Professors because there’s always bias involved, and again, no one’s listening.”

Arabella had needed that support two years ago and had come up empty-handed, so now she was offering to do that for others.

Anderson Potter

Sonny had a lot of suggestions but he knew some of them would not be accepted, especially from his great-aunt. So he waited for a pause and said, "I think everyone should mind their own business. Worry about yourself and your own but leave everyone else out of it." All of the students who were "worried" about the student werewolves needed to just worry about themselves. Scared of the werewolf students? Stay away from them. Was that so hard?

Minister Granger-Weasley

At some point as students were responding, movement in Hermione's peripheral caught her attention. Ministry officials marched towards the Minister as their patience ran out and escorted her out of Hogwarts in a flash. She was unable to offer further remarks.

---

This thread has ended. Thank you for your participation.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.