Sign in to follow this  
Headmistress McGonagall

DETENTION: And on Sorting Night Too!

Headmistress McGonagall

Not even two hours into the school year, and already she had a group of students either waiting or headed to her office for their behavior during the Sorting Feast. Minerva let out a sigh and wondered what Albus would think--although he was almost never in his portrait in the tower, she was sure that he would have a word or two to say on the matter.

After the feast was over, she shepherded the other students with her to the Tower. "Sit," she said sharply, before turning her attention to the group that she'd asked to come to her office.

Speaking of which, the very much dead @Chance Carter, a former professor at the school, had been spraying ectoplasm everywhere in her office for the past week and a half. Coming up with new and more difficult wards was an exhausting task to try and keep him out. She was certain that the students were no doubt taking in the sight of her messy office.

"The scene that some of you put on in the Great Hall was incredibly disappointing. As older students, you are meant to set an example for our incoming first years. Instead, this is how they will remember their Sorting Ceremony, with screaming and fighting and insults," Minerva continued, crossing her arms. 

"It is one thing to advocate for yourself, it is another to use this as an opportunity to insult others. Each of you who addressed Miss Hambeldon by anti-goblin names and insults should be ashamed of yourselves. I have been working tirelessly to improve conditions for werewolves at the school. I have had meetings with students and I have set up stricter rules. Taking out your frustrations on your peers in any way is not acceptable, and is something I will not tolerate. If this goes further, I will be forced to continue more serious punishments, including suspensions and expulsions."

"As for you Miss Hambeldon, your protests have been heard many times over. We have taken every precaution within reason to address the safety of all students. If I continue to hear anti-werewolf remarks from you, you will face the same consequences. Have I made myself clear?" 

She cleared her throat. "Now, before we begin, are there any questions?" 

@Hatty Hambeldon @Molly Stone @Ryszard Althaus-Valerio @Chaol Edevane @Pine Tree @Jacqueline Frost

Chaol Edevane

"Yeah, I have a question." Chaol raised a hand, despite not needing to. "Are we ever gonna address the fact that she keeps wanting to make it about her?" He glared at @Hatty Hambeldon

Molly Stone

“Yes,” Molly promptly piped up. The more she thought about the injustice of her detention, the angrier she got, and it took all she had—maturity she wouldn’t have mustered up years ago—not to blow up.  “Why am I here, ma’am? I didn’t address her by any anti-goblin names. All I did was defend your speech. I wanted everything to go smoothly for the first years!”

Edited by Molly Stone

Pine Tree

This was the one place that he didn't want to be at, he wanted to be on his couch in the dorm room. Yet he was here and had to be here because he spoke up for the first time since the attacks happened to him. He figured that he would get into some trouble, but this was all the fault of Hatty. She is the one that started this whole thing. Pine wasn't going to say anything and get through the meal and go to sleep. "I have one, Headmistress. Why didn't you do anything last year when Hatty and her boyfriend, who is no longer here, said mean thing to werewolves all the time and making use feel less than human."

What was the point of holding back anymore. Pine was done with it. This was the year that he was going to stand up for himself and not be shown as a nobody that got attacked. "People out there think we want to hurt people, all us werewolves go to the wing when we are supposed to. We never missed one dose of wolfsbane at all." He hated that, he hated feeling like he was a nobody and wanted this to happen to him. 

"Also how long is this going to last, I am not feeling well. As I am sure you know the full moon was last night." Pine had already gotten sick on the train ride once and didn't want to get sick up here, there was a reason that he didn't eat his dinner.

Hatty Hambeldon

As satisfying as it had been to see other people finally lose house points and get detention for their anti-goblin remarks, what Headmistress McGonagall was saying was simply not true in this situation. Yes she had been speaking loudly, but if her speech about anti-goblin comments was going to be misconstrued then it seemed she couldn't say anything at all. "Yes, but I did not say a single negative thing about werewolves today, Headmistress McGonagall. So I don't agree that I should be here. All I wanted was for goblin remarks to be treated the same way and said so."  

Jacqueline Frost

"Flacks sake, Hambledon," Jack hissed, still holding on to her plate of a whole rotisserie chicken she planned on snacking on as soon as McG wasn't paying attention. "Nobody cares that you didn't say anything today. I only called you out because you're a bloody hypocrite. You have some nerve to demand respect after all you did last year. You want people to start being nice to you, then start by not demanding it and by proving you're worth being nice to. Words hurt, witch, and you said a lot of them last year. And guess what, don't even try saying sorry. I don't care or need your apologies, and apologizing isn't going to change anything because it doesn't make the person who received the insults feel any better. I could say sorry for calling you Gizmo but that's not going to make you feel any less rubbish. I'm not sorry for calling you Gizmo or Frodo, I'm only sorry your pathetic excuse for a boyfriend wasn't here to witness how the whole school turned against you the way you tried to do to my kind."

Ryszard Althaus-Valerio

He was in detention already...again. There seemed to be a pattern building here.

Lovely.

“Hatty,” he began, an eyebrow raised at her constant tirades. “You want to be treated the same way as werewolves? Fine. Once we get out of here, I’ll put up posters saying how goblins are actually monsters and get up on my soapbox to tell everyone not to trust you lot. Is that equal treatment enough for you?”

He turned to the Headmistress. “Can we go now? I have somewhere to be.” Mainly, the Slytherin common room.

Headmistress McGonagall

Minerva let out a long sigh and rubbed her temples again. Somehow she felt even older standing there, talking to this group. 

"Mister Endevane, your remarks are entirely out of line," Minerva began. "There have been a number of anti-goblin incidents around the school that I was made aware of during the past year. Insisting that someone is 'making it about themselves' when addressing comments that shouldn't be made to them in the first place is unbefitting of a Gryffindor. I hope you understand that." 

"It is unbecoming of your position as a prefect to be snapping at your fellow prefects, Miss Stone. We must always extend others courtesy, even if we do not like where they are coming from." It was something that she honestly had trouble with too. A certain Dolores Umbridge came to mind, a vile woman that made her wrinkle her nose in disgust even after all these years.

"I was here, Mister Tree. I was there the night of the attack, fighting wolves. And since then, I have been committed to ensuring the safety of you and the rest of the students at the school. That is where I have been. As for the detention, it will last until you are finished," Minerva said sharply. "I understand that it was a full moon yesterday, Mister Tree, but that is no excuse for the way that you spoke to Miss Hambeldon." 

"They are being treated the same way, Miss Hambeldon," Minerva continued. "Your insinuation that we are privileging remarks made by other students is patently false. You will also be treated the same way. I have been made aware of your conduct, and it will not be tolerated. Am I making myself clear?"

"And Miss Frost, I am extremely disappointed in your behavior tonight," she had hoped that after their conversation last year that they had reached some kind of understanding, but apparently not. "That's enough now. One more word about Miss Hambeldon and you will be spending every night this term eating dinner here in my office. Beyond that, I will be forced to consider suspension." 

And as soon as Mister Althaus-Valerio spoke, she gave him a sharp look and waved her wand, locking the door tight behind them. "Absolutely not, Mister Althaus-Valerio. Discriminating against Miss Hambeldon because of attitudes your classmates face is not going to be tolerated. You will not leave until the detention is complete."

She cleared her throat.

"As you can see, the former Professor Carter has taken a habit of making a mess of my office. The lot of you will clean up the trails of ectoplasm left behind without wands. Once you are finished, you may go. If I hear about more misbehavior, as I mentioned, I will be forced to consider more serious actions. You do not want it to come to that." 

---

Your task - make five posts of 100 words or more cleaning up the ecotoplasm left in the office WITHOUT your wand. Minerva will be monitoring your progress. 

Edited by Headmistress McGonagall

Chaol Edevane

Post 1

WC: 114

"I am quite aware," Chaol said coolly as he crossed his arms. "But that doesn't give her the right to make the entire conversation about her." And he didn't even know why he was bothering arguing about it, when clearly the headmistress wanted to stay neutral about the entire thing. As if neutrality actually helped either damaged party.

He rolled his eyes as McGonagall told them what they'd be doing. Of course she could have the place cleaned up in seconds, but why not take advantage of meddling students? He'd been here before.

"Do we at least get brushes to clean with? Or do you want us to use our hands?"

He wouldn't put it past her.

Pine Tree

Post One | 248 Words

So she was there, but not where he was at. “I understand you were fighting in the great hall, I am not talking about any of that Headmistress. I am talking about when the posters were posted and when students were making me and other werewolves feel less than human. Being told that I shouldn’t be allowed at Hogwarts. I don’t want to be here but I don’t have a choice. I don’t have access to wolfsbane on my own, not without being here or with my fellow werewolf friend Julian.” He was angry, he had never felt like this in his life before. 

The other thing he wasn’t going to do was clean, he was just going to sit there and do nothing. “My actions come from how she treated me in the past. I am not sorry for those actions. I won’t be sorry for them.” Pine was never like this but a year of being bullied for what happened to him. “People think I want this, but I didn’t want this. I can’t handle the pain it has caused me this last year.”

It was almost one year since he been turned into a werewolf and he had so much anger that he had to let it out. He didn’t care what was going to happen to him. If he was expelled from Hogwarts then be it, he didn’t want to be in a school where no one cared about him or his well being. 

Jacqueline Frost

POST ONE
WC: 223

—–––––––––––––––––––

Jack raised an eyebrow at the mention of a suspension and couldn't help but softly chuckle at the prospect of it. 

"You're not going to suspend me for three simple reasons," she challenged, approaching the Headmistress. "First, I'm a werewolf. Second, wolfsbane isn't provided by the ministry free of charge and I can't afford it on my own. Third, my legal guardian is in prison soooooooooo... unless you want to be held responsible for another Liverpool incident or dare I say, another Hogwarts attack, you're not going to suspend me but I would be thrilled to have dinner here every night. We can even compromise if you let me have some of that juice you adults drink I'll share my food with you, McG. At least then I wouldn't have to be surrounded by bigots." She gave a pointed look at Hatty.

It was all fun and games however, until something needed to get cleaned. 

It wasn't that Jack wasn't fond of cleaning on the contrary she was almost as much of a neat freak as @Jaxon Sinclair but she wasn't fond of cleaning other people's messes. There was a reason she'd left the Frost (this was one of them). "If Prof Carter is eternal why can't he clean up his mess? He has all the time in the world after all, some of us have things to do, right Ryszard?" 

Edited by Jacqueline Frost

Molly Stone

Post One 

It'd been a long day. Molly rubbed her own temples in an attempt to ease the drumming irritation. As delicious as the food had been (and the smell: pumpkin pasties and treacle tart and fresh chicken and mashed potatoes, the scents imprinted in her memory), she'd barely been able to eat due to frustration. She'd been excited to go to the Gryffindor Common room, to see all the new ickles and have a grand old time, and now she was stuck here for no good reason.

When Mcgonagall told her why she was detained,  what Molly wanted to do was shout that, wasn't it her job as a prefect to promote justice? Was she not allowed to tell someone they were being selfish or snap at anyone just because she had a badge? Because that wasn't in the rule book last she checked, and either way, what she did should not have warranted a detention. Telling someone they were being selfish should not have gotten her a detention. Not when she had a bazillion duties that were much more important.

She wanted to say: If you cared as much about werewolves as you say you do, you wouldn't have given Behati Gadot prefect.

What she did, however, was mumble "fine," and get to work on the worst job in the entire world, because clearly McGonagall was not listening to reason and she didn't want to risk getting more detentions. 

WC: 239

Hatty Hambeldon

post ONE

166 words

"Excuse me like your words are any better?" She snapped @Jacqueline Frost. "You all said hateful things to me too you know." Some pretty terrible things about her ancestry in particular. She didn't like how everyone on the side of the werewolves seemed to think that their behavior was in the right and lecture her for it. She sighed but shut her tongue when Headmistress McGonagall addressed her. She was still steaming though because it wasn't like she didn't have no reason to feel the way she did. The speech -- and she had heard it with her own two years -- had addressed werewolves; it had not addressed what would happen if people said negative things about part goblins. Still, she couldn't deny the fact that everyone who had made comments toward her were also in detention so she didn't say anything else. 

Instead she went about cleaning ghost guts. Gross. She made a face as she touched the stuff and threw it away in a bin. 

Edited by Hatty Hambeldon
grammar

Ryszard Althaus-Valerio

post one

wc: 239

“I was only offering to give her what she wants,” he replied, voice sugary sweet with venom dripping down his chin. Ryszard hardly cared that he was in detention and talking to the Headmistress, of all people. They had all been hurt by things that had been said in the Great Hall, some more than others, and he didn’t see why the Gryffindor ought to get special treatment.

Ryszard flinched slightly as the door was locked, but it only helped to strengthen his resolve. The Headmistress was refusing to listen to anything they were saying, and that, more than anything, made the fourth year want to follow in her footsteps: if she refused to see reason, so would he.

If anyone asked, he was simply following by example.

He nodded at Jack, who was sat beside him. “It’s not even a useful detention,” he scoffed. “We’re not gonna learn anything from cleaning behind a bloody ghost, and the longer I’m in the same room as her,” he pointed at Hatty. “The less I’m gonna do anything useful.” He crossed his arms, a petulant expression on his face.

It was a pity he couldn’t just ask his father to bail him out of this, the way he’d seen so many of his rich peers do. Samuel Valerio had never been too inclined to help Ryszard out of a sitch, and he would be even less likely to do so now.

Molly Stone

Post Two

Molly's two least favorite activities in the world were cooking and cleaning. They were also activities that, her old-fashioned, idiot mother (her mother lived in the past because she had no brains of her own) considered chores girls were supposed to do, and therefore it was part of why she disliked all the time Molly spent with boys growing up. 

What was worse, however, was how pointless this activity was. She had to clean the ghost slime without her wand when it could so easily be vanished with a wand. "How are we meant to get rid of this? Do you have rags?" She asked, after scrubbing a bit off the counter with her hand. 

"So how's your day been, headmistress? You look like you could use a pick-me up. Could we get a round of butterbeer, at least, for our time?"

If Molly had to serve the detention anyway, she figured she'd use it as an opportunity to get closer with McGonagall: a connection she could leverage in the future.

WC: 169

Edited by Molly Stone

Pine Tree

Post Two | 189 Words

This was pointless and Pine was not happy at all. It seems like he was just talking to air and was having to clean. Not that he was cleaning at all. He felt like he was out of place here, he was sure that Molly would be trying to make him clean but it seems like she wasn’t. Which was a good thing, because at the time all this happened it seems like she was just worried about house points, something Pine could care less about. 

He wanted to feel safe at this school, and he didn’t feel safe at all. Not with how people were treating him and others that were like him. 

Right now it seems like Headmistress didn’t care and just wanted this place clean. He moved to the side of the area and stayed there not saying anything at all. Then it seems like Molly was trying to talk the headmistress up, what a load of crap. “I can’t stand people. I might not be cleaning, but at least I am not trying to get on the good side of a headmistress that doesn’t care.”

Edited by Pine Tree

Chaol Edevane

Post 2

WC: 125

Chaol's eyebrows shot up as he heard @Jacqueline Frost tell the headmistress why she wouldn't expel her. As cocky as he could be at times, he wasn't sure that he'd even have the nerve to do what she just did. He might just have a new hero, a bright spot in the mess that was this night.

"Might wanna give it up, mate," he told @Molly Stone, when she tried to make conversation with McGonagall. "I doubt she'd be so generous as to give us a drink." She probably wanted them to get done quickly, so she could see to her other duties. Whatever those might be.

And Pine wasn't having any of it either, it seemed. Not that Chaol blamed him after the past year he had. 

Jacqueline Frost

POST TWO
WC: 203

—–––––––––––––––––––

Huffing, Jack ripped the chicken leg off and bit into it. 

This definitely wasn't the worst way to start the year off but it clearly wasn't the best — either way she didn't regret anything. She wasn't sorry for what she'd said to Hatty, she wasn't sorry for starting this chaos. The only thing she was sorry for was getting caught. Frankly, she hadn't expected detention to involve cleaning after Prof Carter and she took a piece of ectoplasm from the table besides them and flicked it over at @Hatty Hambeldon because why not? Jack was already in trouble at this point it was go big or go to Azkaban (it would have been home if she'd had a home 😭

"Alright, I'll bite," Jack sighed, standing from the chair and motioning for Ryszard to follow her to a remote part of the office. "I'm not going to clean this and you're not going to clean this, but I'm sure there's something we can do with this stuff. I don't know put it in someone's drink... I could even go as far as putting it in a certain prefect's bed to give them a good scare..." And if the look on her face was any indication, she wasn't talking about messing with Hatty.

Molly Stone

Post Three

Pine Tree was quickly becoming Molly's least favorite second year. She was too frustrated that she was detained in the first place to bother telling him to clean (especially after he'd ignored her before), and now he was telling her she shouldn't be friendly. "We're stuck in this office 'til these ghost guts are gone, and I'm not dumb enough to say anything stupid and end up here again, thanks." She softened, a little, as she turned to Chaol (a cool second year, the winner of Molly's map). She grinned sheepishly. "Well, worth a try, anyhow."

Molly snorted when Jack said 'Alright, I'll bite.' "Good one."

What wasn't good, however, was that she was left to clean this crap on her own when the others (besides Hatty) were refusing. Although.. she wondered if while the headmistress was preoccupied trying to get them to listen, she could sneak her wand out and vanish it all, then claim she was the world's best cleaner? She began to keep her eye out for an opportunity. It wasn't like her wand had been taken away or anything.

WC: 183

Pine Tree

Post Three | 171 Words

“Doesn’t mean I am going to clean it.” He didn’t care for this prefect at all, she was getting on his nerves and Pine was just going to sit back and do nothing at all. Looking around the room he saw that there was a lot to do, but he was not himself and he was just going to sit back and just watch everyone else do something that he wasn’t going to do. 

He shouldn’t be here, Jack shouldn’t be here, none of them should be here. Not with everything that happened last year at all. Pine walked over to where @Jacqueline Frost was. “Can I join you in the not cleaning part?” Since that was not something he was going to do, he didn’t know this girl that well but he saw her on full moon nights and knew what she was talking about when it came to all this.

Chaol was his friend, but he also needed other friends. As it seems like the prefects were just a mess.

Ryszard Althaus-Valerio

post two

wc: 168

This was the worst detention Ryszard had ever been banished to.

He huffed, watching with an unimpressed stare as @Molly Stone went right to task. He had always seen her as a much cooler version of the prefects Slytherin house had been tragically gifted with, but now she was...definitely not that.

“Molly,” he said, a frown on his face. “We’re already in detention. You don’t need to actually do what she says.” He shook his head, turning to look from @Jacqueline Frost to @Pine Tree, the only two werewolves in the room. They didn’t deserve to be there — Jack had only been defending herself, and Ryszard wasn’t sure if the younger Gryffindor had even said anything provocative enough to land him in here with the rest of them.

Clearly, there was something else going on here.

“Does she just hate werewolves?” Ryszard asked Jack in a conversational tone, before he was dragged out of his seat. “Do you want us to poison people with this? Because I’d totally be up for that.”

Jacqueline Frost

POST THREE
WC: 191

—–––––––––––––––––––

"The only way to find out if this stuff is actually toxic is to put it to test," Jack grinned, scanning through the room for anything they could use to store the ectoplasm for a future occasion. In a way they were cleaning. By removing it for their own nefarious purposes they were fulfilling the task at hand, so really they weren't anything wrong to further worsen their sentence. 

McG said to clean, they were doing that... in the form of collecting the ectoplasm in some makeshift Tupperware as soon as she could find it.. but cleaning nonetheless. 

She coughed as @Pine Tree approached them, indicating to keep their plans on the DL while they had a second year shadow. Of all the people in the room, Pine had to go with them?? With the two people who would only lead him down a life of trouble and potentially a trial with the Wizengamot? Poor pine, one day he'd learn. 

"We're not cleaning, we're collecting the ectoplasm to study it," Jack explained lied. "Who knows it could contribute to making werewolf transformations less rubbish. We need somewhere to store it though. Got anything?"

Pine Tree

Post Four | 186 Words

Not cleaning was something that Pine was down for, but he didn’t think that this girl wanted him there. But he had no where else to go. He didn’t want to be around Molly or Hatty. And Chaol seemed to be over there with them also, or near them or something. And Jack was just like him. Someone that was older and knew things that he didn’t know. 

Hearing her cough was something that made him think that he shouldn’t be there. “Got anything, like something to hold it in.” Pine had his bag with him but he didn’t think that he had something useful in it. But knowing that they were collecting the ectoplasm, that was something interesting. “I don’t think there is something in here. Beside this bottle.” It was a bottle of potion he took to try and not get sick on the train ride. 

It didn’t help, it was useless for sure. He still got sick on the train ride and was feeling sick all day. Something had to be made to help them not feel like crap after a full moon. 

Chaol Edevane

Post 3

WC: 145

Molly's response earned a snort from Chaol. "Maybe try that after we've cleaned a little bit. She might be more open to the idea next time."

If the headmistress thought that this was an actual punishment for Chaol, she had another thing coming. He'd spent the last few months cleaning out animal pens. The leftover residue from a ghost was a few places beneath animal dung on his grossness scale. 

He was barely paying attention to the others talk as he eased out of his outer robes. If they were expected to clean this mess, then he'd do it with the thing he hated the most: these horrible excuses for uniforms. 

Chaol's ears perked up at the mention of storage. "I've got something," he muttered to @Jacqueline Frost as he passed by her with his makeshift rag. "Might make a bigger mess if you're not careful, though."

Ollie Celeste

Ollie was an extremely passionate girl. Her excitement reared its head at the most unexpected of times: whenever her friends did well in class, when the house elves baked her favourite desserts, and when someone she considered one of her closest friends got unjustly punished. Assuming being a seventh year meant she could do what she liked, Ollie followed the group of punished students to the towers.

“Prof M. Hi. Do you mind if I just say something,” Ollie did not wait to be given orders. “These ‘crimes’ are not equal in seriousness. People like Molly are getting punished for trying to defend our werewolf students, yet are considered as bad as those actively trying to attack them. Surely we should make a stand against prejudice?” 

Just let me know if you want me to delete this I am simply passionate about both werewolf and Molly rights

Edited by Ollie Celeste

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.