Sign in to follow this  
Julian Pritchard

Advanced Dungeons & Dragons

Julian Pritchard

Julian glanced nervously at the neat stack of notes in front of him - far smaller than usual. Term had been bordering on overwhelming, and he hadn’t had as much time to prepare. He was going to have to pants this, and it was terrifying. It was clear, however, that it could not be put off any longer. Everyone seemed in dire need of a little bit of adventuring fun.

With a nod at his assembled players, and after checking he had all his dice, he took a deep breath, and began:

“You are all sharing a drink in a tavern. It’s pouring outside, and the tavern is packed with travellers seeking to avoid the rain, despite the watery ale on tap. The lone lyre an elf is playing in a corner is completely inaudible over the sound of raucous laughter interspersed with booming thunder.

A curly-haired halfling, wearing glasses too big for his face and fumbling with a pile of scrolls, approaches your table.

‘Oh, I say,’ he exclaims, his voice almost too quiet to hear over the din. ‘I heard you lot are adventurers. Who might I speak with, if I had a job I needed doing?’

----

How this is going to work:

• Since this is more an IC thing, you are free to assume dice have been rolled, GM’ing Julian as needed.
  • If you would like an actual dice roll: RP rolling, bold the action you would like a roll for in your RP, @ me somewhere and tell me at the bottom of your post how likely you character’s character is to succeed on a scale of 1-5.
  • The odds for success for each number will be as follows: 1 - 1/6; 2 - 1/3; 3 - 1/2; 4 -  2/3: 5 - 5/6.
  • I will be using the duelling dice roll chart to determine what counts as a success.
  • The likelihood doesn’t have to be make sense. If you would like your character to have terrible dice luck, you can ask for a ‘1’ roll every time.
  • Regardless of dice rolls, I will try to post at least every 24 hours here to move the story along.
  • Everyone else should feel free to post as much or as little as they want.
Edited by Julian Pritchard
edited to say I shamelessly stole the title from a Community episode

Hazel Wheeler

Hazel was next to Julian with her fingers dancing along the surface of the table as she anticipated what would come next. Plus, seeing him in a leadership position was extremely attractive and she liked being next to him when he would call the shots. But, really, where else would she be?

As the official unofficial snack bringer, Hazel had set up a table off to the side with fruits and a few savory treats because sometimes bringing desserts just got boring (even if there was a plate of Simon brownies at the end of the table). She’d also gotten into character with a slightly crushed flower crown from @Dante Agretera and one of those flowy dresses that made her feel like a fairy. Glitter was dusted on her cheekbones and it seemed so right to be back into her role as a nature cleric.

”Breezehelm stops swaying to the lyre long enough to attempt to offer the halfling a place to sit at the table and a serving of food. ‘Sit. Sit. Have a drink and a place to rest,’ she says as she fills his plate and pours him a drink,” Hazel started it off as her hand closed around a pair of dice, “Might as well make friends first, right?”

Attempts to put the halfling in a good mood with friendship.  3

Edited by Hazel Wheeler

Shiloh Paige

It was so typical for Hazel to be a glitter magnet, so much so that Shiloh opted to sit as far away from her as possible; that and it gave room for @Stella Peabody to grab a seat nearby. For once Shiloh was the one with the Firecrab Snowball, even if said firecrab was off in the corner doing their own thing with absolutely minimal supervision.

She rolled her eyes at Haze's decision and costume again. She hadn't thought to dress up, but then perhaps a half-orc barbarian would be a bit too on the nose

Janara looks at the halfling and grunts before pushing out a chair for them with her boot. 'I guess adventurers' she says with a bit of her food still in her mouth.” Shiloh looks around the room, “What, at least she's using utensils and trying to be friendly.”

Simon Reed

Hardly in character after the game's commencement, Simon pipped up with a wee bit of difficulty after shoving a great big gooey brownie into his mouth, "Ronan the rogue emerges from the shadows of the tavern and casually inserts himself in the conversation, 'Depends on what sort job you need done.' but he says it all...mysterious and charming like." very unlike his current self as he finally swallowed down the last bite of his brownie, licking his fingers before sitting near Shiloh, finding it ironic that her description of her character's table manners sounded oddly a lot like his own.... coincidence? 

"Thanks for the brownies." he mouthed at @Hazel Wheeler from across the table, unaware that he had remnants of chocolate on his teeth. 

Edited by Simon Reed

Scout Matthews

Sitting on the other side of Simon, Scout had to shake his head as the other boy tried to speak. The words 'don’t' speak with your mouth full' came to mind, but the fourteen-year-old never had the chance to air those thoughts. Instead, he opted to shuffle his pieces of parchment away from his classmate in order to avoid any stray bits of brownie that may have come flying from Simon's mouth.

Gross.

Scout had risked glancing in @Simon Reed's direction after he'd thought the boy had finished eating. That had been a mistake. "Wipe your mouth," he hissed under his breath. "It looks like you're missing teeth, Simon." How come teenaged boys were always so gross? Or was that just Simon. Because he was acting like Janara down to the T.

"Gul'tar is weary of the stranger, but won't complain when others have already offered them a spot at the table despite the fact it's often the studied ones that bring the group the most trouble." Scout spoke, "so he's busying himself with his drink for the moment while he waits to hear what the halfling wants to say."

Julian Pritchard

“The halfling looks about to accept Breezehelm’s offer, but he takes one look at Janara and her table manners, and seems to think better of it.” Julian stopped to give Simon a pointed look.

“‘Oh no, you’re terribly kind, but I have a lot of work to do, you see, and I shall be retiring to my quarters soon.’ He squeaks a bit at the sudden emergence of Ronan and one of his scrolls slips. He places the rest of the scrolls on the table so he can pick it up.

He turns to Ronan so he can explain. ‘Oh, if you follow the path north out of town. You’ll come across a tower. A group of scribes reside there, and they have come into possession of a rather rare scroll. My master had bid me to go and trade for it, but I’ve been cautioned against it by the townsfolk, They claim that no one has seen the scribes in over a fortnight, and that strange noises can be heard at night. I need your help, then, to go and fetch that scroll for me.’”

(Hazel's roll failed. :()

Stella Peabody

Stella eased into a seat next to @Shiloh Paige and carefully straightened her character sheet and detailed notes on the campaign so far.  She understood that Muggles apparently enjoyed playing dashing rogues like Simon's, or powerful wizards like her own character Elluna, because they wanted to escape into a fantasy world.  But Stella could never imagine giving up her magical powers or playing a dumb jock with a sword just to make a character as  unlike herself as possible.  Unimaginative soul that she was, she had created a character very similar to herself:  a wizard that was highly suspicious of everyone and everything around her.  Her most daring choice in character creation was to make herself an elf, because the idea appealed to her. 

"Elluna is suspicious of the halfling,"  If she had a sickle for every time she began a sentence with "Elluna is suspicious..." during this campaign, she'd be a rich witch, indeed. 

"She tries to hide behind Janara's bulk and bad manners and furtively cast...detect thoughts to see if he's hiding anything." 

@Julian Pritchard Elluna/Stella attempts to cast Detect Thoughts (D&D 5E Wizard spell) on the hafling.  I'd say she her odds of success are a 4 out of 5.  

Julian Pritchard

Julian shook his head lightly in amusement when Stella decided to use ‘detect thoughts’ on the halfling. It seemed like that happened just about every session.

“Roll please,” he said, and regarded the result carefully. “The halfling doesn’t notice anything’s amiss. Elluna can tell that he’s scared - he’s afraid that you will refuse his offer and he’ll have have to go to his master empty-handed. His master is not a tolerant man, and the halfling thinks he might chastise him for falling for the townsfolk superstitions.”

(Stella's roll succeeded.)

Shiloh Paige

'It's just a fetch mission, ya?' Janara says while squinting a little at the halfling. She turns to her party and shrugs 'I'm down.'” Shiloh gesticulates before trying to adjust a pose more like her character. “Janara reaches for one of the scrolls on the table. 'So what's this scroll supposed to look like?'”

Janara is trying to get information out of the halfling without putting him on edge. Since he's already on edge a bit, and Janara is more spec'd for intimidation I see this as a 2 @Julian Pritchard

Hazel Wheeler

Hazel snorted at the sight of Simon’s teeth and she reached across the table to hand him a napkin. It made her happy that he was enjoying himself, but Scout was right. He seriously needed to clean up a bit.

”You’re welcome,” She mouthed back as she resettled in a position next to Julian. Which slightly made her sad as her roll failed and Breezehelm managed to make the halfling even more nervous. Hazel sighed and picked off some of her nail polish as she tried to gather what her character would do next.

”Breezehelm recognizes that she’s probably not helping very much by being overbearing, but she still wants to be a part of the group. So, instead of returning to her dance, she manages to squirm her way next to Ronan and says, ‘I think we should help him.’ in a hushed tone to try to encourage members of her group,” Hazel pulled her knees to her chest and laid her head in her hands. She wasn’t exactly very beneficial to the group - that much was obvious by the extreme differences in her character and the others. But, like her character, she just wanted to be a part of the group.

Edited by Hazel Wheeler

Simon Reed

"Am I embarrassing you @Scout Matthews?" his smile broadened as he turned away from the game, lips deliberately stretching out to max capacity to fully reveal the few offending blackened teeth. For some reason, it wasn't enough of a display for Simon. He wanted to gross Scout even more. Blame the sugar, or the fact that sometimes Simon was just plain childish whatever you will, the Ravenclaw found himself leaning down closer to the Hufflepuff's face until their noses nearly brushing before he waggled his brows. "What if I was saving some for later? Unless y'want some--... Okay, okay, fineeee." he raised his hands in mock defeat as Hazel reached across the table waving around a napkin. 

The teen busied himself licking his teeth, and scrubbing away any left over grime as he listened to the story continue without much of his input until Breezehelm tried to encourage Ronan to assist the hafling. " 'Perhaps' whispers Ronan, watching as Janara easily volunteers for the task. He think it's foolish to do anything without incentive, without a price. 'What would we get out of it... if we were to all help?' " he wasn't sure he was playing correctly whatsoever, and had long accepted that he showing up solely for the company. 

Stella Peabody

Stella was disappointed but not surprised when Elluna's detect thoughts spell didn't reveal a great deception or conspiracy against their humble band of adventurers.  

"Waste of a spell slot..." Stella muttered as she listened to her friends roleplay their reactions to the hafling.  Out of character, she agreed with Janara - it seemed an easy enough fetch quest.  But in character...

"I agree with Ronan.  We should ask about our reward before agreeing to assist him," she said in character, and then muttered to @Simon Reed "Missed a spot..." reaching out a finger to wipe a bit of gooey brownie off the corner of his lip. 

Robin Bagley

Robin crashed into the room a good twenty minutes late, iced butter beer in one hand and a crumpled piece of parchment with last month's hideously outdated character sheet in the other.

"What's going on?"  She asked.  Last time she'd been here, she was pretty sure they'd been in a dungeon.  Or was it a tower?  She may have missed a few sessions since, but it was the thought that counted.

She pulled a chair up to the table, borrowed her neighbors dice without asking, and made a quick roll.  "Nibor the warlock" (Robin was very creative with her names) "fires an eldritch blast at the nearest person who isn't in the party," she said, wanting to show willing and contribute to whatever dire straits the group was likely in.  "What numbers do i add to that again?"

Shiloh Paige

Hey, Robin, how was the nap?” Shiloh didn't know if Robin was doing the nap thing or if it was just a got lost on the turning stairs again. The excuses varied, but the butter beer probably made some sense in the end.

When the Warlock joined the party it was always messy, and as much as Janara was all about the chaotic life as a barbarian, even she knew that doing things like setting off magic in a perfectly good town between adventures was probably not optimal.

Er, Julian, Is it possible if … It's the square in the corner Robin, we made notes last time you were her to make it quick.... Janara takes the hit from the eldritch blast. She doesn't want to get stuck in jail again because another lost tavern.”

Robin Bagley

Robin wasn't entirely sure what nap Shiloh was asking after, but she just assumed the Slytherin was asking after one of the four naps she'd had that day.  Maybe the one directly behind Shiloh's desk in Transfiguration?

She wasn't entirely sure why Jane or whatever the barbarian's name was was jumping in the way of her spell, but she was happy to fight anyone, even another party member.  "Okay, cool, that square," she lied, as she had a much older character sheet with her today.  She decided to just add four or five and see what happened.  "Do I get to fight Shiloh?  Are we fighting people?  What's going on?" She grabbed a handful of snacks and settled in to play.

Simon Reed

Simon turned towards @Stella Peabody as she addressed his character, eyes locking in a weirdly electric moment (which could have completely been a one-sided thing, because Simon tended to make a bigger deal out of things that weren't really anything....) as she reached forward and swiped her finger across his lip to remove a leftover brownie crumb. He gulped, tongue subconsciously tracing the tingly feeling still lingering on his bottom lip. "U-uh..." he started, but was quickly interrupted by Robin who snagged his dice and like always managed to possibly ruin the game for what was the umpteenth time in a row. He rolled his eyes and tried to figure out what this meant for Ronan the Rogue. 

Edited by Simon Reed

Scout Matthews

Scout reached out, his hand lightly pushing @Simon Reed's face away from him the moment he noticed how close the teenager was to his person. "Yes!" He insisted, "I don't know how you think you're going to attract anyone like that," the boy fussed, sighing as one of the girls took over trying to clean Simon's face. At least, Scout thought they had. But as the teenager looked over, he couldn't help but to notice the dark traces of brownie lingering on Simon's lips.

"Merlin, you can't even take care of yourself." Scout murmured, leaning in slightly so he could grab at Simon's chin, using the thumb of his other hand to wipe any further evidence from the other's lips.

It was far easier for him to focus on Simon rather than the mess that was unfolding. Well, no. He should have been paying attention, but with failed spell attempts and the sudden appearance of Robin, Scout felt like he could downplay his interaction with the group for a little bit longer. He would have liked to anyways, but the longer Scout kept quiet, the more the teenager thought this whole affair would go downhill.

"I suggest we take this conversation outside," he spoke, the small badger transitioning back to his character. "We wouldn't want to start a fight in the middle of a tavern." He doubted there was enough gold between the whole party to get them out of whatever potential mess Robin fired off her spell. "Gul'tar has taken an interest in the scroll if only for a chance to see whether it'd benefit the party more than retrieving it and actually giving it to the halfling."

Stella Peabody

Her eyes locked with @Simon Reed for a moment.  Had wiping brownie crumbs from his lip been too much?  Sometimes it was hard to tell where the line was with her former crush, because they were so comfortable with one another.  She blushed and looked away, hoping @Shiloh Paige hadn't noticed.  

And then @Robin Bagley burst in at least 20 minutes late and proceeded to completely derail the session.  Stella rolled her eyes and watched as her friends tried to salvage the situation while remaining in character.  Their characters were trying valiantly to diffuse the situation, but Stella, who already had a hard time roleplaying and staying in character, threw her pencil down in frustration.

"I don't know how we're all supposed to take this seriously when some people clearly don't.  Isn't there something you can do?" she asked, turning to their fearless DM @Julian Pritchard.  

Simon Reed

"I think I'm doing just fine in that department, thank you very much..." he pouted in response to Scout's quip about attracting people and whatnot. He'd never heard any complaints from his past or current relationships, so obviously he wasn't totally disgusting. Just slightly. Whatever, his face was clean and--Did he have a sign over his forehead that read 'Please take care of me, I'm a wee lil' bab?'  He honestly thought he'd been doing an excellent job with himself, given his family hardly checked in on him, but this was proving that he needed a little help. He didn't swat @Scout Matthewshand away, just stared at him curiously as he pinched his chin and angled it downwards. He couldn't possibly still have brownie on him, could he? Simon held his breath, having a hard time swallowing as he relieved the similar electric currents he had previously with Stella as Scout swiped his thumb across his lips. 

what? 

Maybe his lips were just sensitive or something. Simon wrinkled his nose and groaned, "Can we get back to the game, please!? I'd like to know if I'm dead because of Rob-- I mean Nibor's actions." 

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.