Dane Golden-Keisi

A Working Dinner

Dane Golden-Keisi

At the same time as this thread.

Dane had swiped food from the Great Hall and gone to sit in an alcove to work on some inventions. There were whizzing noises and some odd crunching sounds coming from the area as he waved his wand to try and get some new prototypes ready. Every few minutes, he would stop what he was doing to eat some of his dinner. He had made sure to get enough food so that he wouldn't have to go back. There was too much fighting and stupid opinions around the school lately and he preferred to distance himself from it.

He wondered where @Sophia Hunter was and thought that she might be eating with her friends or even her brother. He didn't think on it too much, though, since he'd see her soon enough in the common room. He didn't think she had a shift in the Hospital Wing but then again, he kept forgetting what day it was when he was engrossed in inventions. He had a copy of both of their schedules in his pocket so he'd have to check it. If she wasn't going to be in the common room, he'd have to see he before he headed that way.

Annag Hamblton

Annag had a favorite little alcove just outside of the Great Hall. It's where she and @Margarleon Turpentine had huddled waiting for a break in the crowd before going on their grand adventure. It was also where she came to realize that there were far more dangerous things threatening Hogwarts than werewolves.

The tension in the Great Hall had been building and the last place she wanted to be was amidst all that anger and stress. Grabbing some food, she rushed out the door heading towards one of her happy, little, quiet places. No one ever noticed whether she came or went, so it wasn't like anyone was going to be worried if she was missing.

As the teeny girl rushed through the opening, she almost stepped on some fanciful looking contraption. Trying desperately not to crush whatever it was that had decided to share her alcove with her, the little Ravenclaw promptly found herself falling quite ungracefully onto her bum. "Oh, I beg your pardon!" she apologized with a bow of her head to the enchanting creature.

It was just then that she realized her new acquaintance had a friend. Something like a scream-gasp sprang from her mouth as her eyes shot wide and her feet began to frantically push her out and away from whatever it was that lurked in the shadows of the alcove. Unfortunately for her, a stone wall stopped her progress to escape and she was seemingly trapped with whatever it was.

It took a few seconds for her eyes to adjust to her new, darker local. When they finally did, she realized that it was actually a much older fellow Ravenclaw—equally as terrifying, but hopefully not deadly. Heart still pounding in her ears, she made a timid little nod of her head towards @Dane Golden-Keisi. "Sorry to intrude. Is it alright if I join ya? I'll just curl up in the corner with ma food." She motioned towards an empty part of the alcove. "I nae to make any noise. And I dinnae take up much room." Her eyes were riveted on her feet and she could feel her face becoming flushed and red. But she couldn't resist a better look at whatever it was that she had originally encountered upon entering. "Wow. That looks amazin'! Is it yours?" Oh, Annag. Of course it's his. Now she felt all the more awkward.

Edited by Annag Hamblton

Sophia Hunter

Sophia was going to find @Dane Golden-Keisi and join him for dinner but upon entering the dining room, had not seen him anywhere.  She originally found a spot at the Ravenclaw table but the beginning of beeping sounds became obnoxious and she grabbed some food and headed out the doors before any of the excitement had broke loose.  Which also meant she was unaware of the announcement that had come with the arrival of aurors as well.

She slowly made her way, trying to decide if she should look for Dane in the library or try the common room when she heard more odd noises but nothing like the annoying beeps she had gotten away from in the Great Hall.  Hearing another voice as well, she poked her head into one of the alcoves and smiled as she saw him sitting there.  "Hey!  Got room for me too?" she asked with a grin.

Rayya Borage-Brown

Seriously! Next time someone else could go round up ickles! Why did so many of them have to skip out on dinner? Back in the day no one would have thought to miss a meal...well...okay....so that was a lie. Plenty of people had skipped a meal or two for any number of reasons, patrols, extra study, quidditch practice, snogging... Anyway it just seemed that every time she was called to this school it was to round up reluctant kids and there was also the added worry that she’d run into a kid she heartily wished she never had to see again.

Somewhere up ahead Rayy heard voices and sighed as she followed them to one of the alcoves that always seemed to hold snogging couples...but no, this time she was lucky and hadn’t interrupted a make-out session...just a picnic... 

“Sorry to crash your picnic, but you are all required in the Great Hall sooner rather than later.” She held up her badge, cursing once again as she belatedly introduced herself, “Rayya Borage-Brown, Auror.” One day she’d remember the formalities earlier in the piece rather than after the fact. “If you wouldn’t mind packing things up and heading there, I’d appreciate it.”

Dane Golden-Keisi

There was movement and his creations were nearly crushed. He flicked his wand so that everything returned to his bag in an instant, saving them from being destroyed. @Alayna Weasley had accidentally broken his arithmancy calculator once and, since, he had been paranoid about the same fate becoming his other inventions. He hadn't been upset with the Head Girl since it hadn't been her fault but he had learned to be more careful and proactive about his things from the situation.

A young Ravenclaw girl was now looking at him and he nodded his head for her to take a seat. She was already there and he wasn't going to be rude and turn her away. He understood about the Great Hall being too loud. He often couldn't take the volume of the place too. "They're all mine," he said, patting the bag where all of his items had settled after his spell. He pulled his plate of food towards him and began to eat, wondering if he should continue the conversation with the girl.

But then Sophia arrived and a smile appeared on his face. "Always," he said, standing to give her a kiss on the cheek and allow her more space. He sat back down and said, "I've never been so popular." He was joking, of course, but it was true. He was rarely with more than one person at a time and if he was, it was with people he already knew and was close with. He wasn't one to seek out new people unless he knew something about them that was interesting.

He was going to start eating when, once again, there was an appearance of another person. This time an auror. Dane immediately stood up and grabbed Sophia's hand, pulling her up. He slung his bag over his shoulder and made sure the younger girl was at the ready too. "What's going on?" he asked. He sounded emotionless because he was not someone to color his voice with feeling unless he really wanted to. Usually, that type of thing was reserved for telling Sophia how he felt about her. At the moment, it was to hide that he was worried.

Rayya Borage-Brown

“There’s been a few threats made to the school and no one is taking any chances. The Headmistress has asked everyone to be in the Great Hall,” Rayy eventually managed to reply after what felt like days, weighing up several responses and discarding them in turn for being: too vague, too explicit, too scary, not scary enough, not getting to the point and, finally, too much of a white lie. Truth might be the best policy but it wasn’t always handy and she didn’t much fancy having a bunch of freaked out kids on her hands.

Even as she thought it one face registered and Rayy relaxed as she recognised the girl, now older, who had come telling that Stefan needed help during the last DE attack. “You, I remember and I trust you not to freak out on me now. Now let’s get you all where you need to be. You two take the lead and we’ll pop the youngster in the middle.”

Annag Hamblton

Annag's face turned scarlet red. It's how it always was. Annag, the potted plant. Annag, the creature in the corner that nobody ever noticed or cared about. Annag, the girl you talked about in front of, but never to. 

Why had these horrid animals even invaded her alcove? She went there to get away from people like this. She wanted to scream at them to get the freak out and leave her alone. Her wand shot out and she was ready to deploy Depulso and send each and every one of them flying away from her. If the auror hadn't been there, she probably would have. She eyed her plate of food as a possible projectile, but decided it wasn't worth wasting good food on these three.

Wiping the tears from her eyes, the tiny girl just stood up and muttered, "I'm better off in the back so nobody will trip over me." Like anybody was listening. If she was able to fall back enough, maybe she would become an easy target for whatever it was that people were currently so afraid of. Sounded like a plan.

Sophia Hunter

Sophia smiled as Dane greeted her and kissed her cheek.  She settled next to him, making sure there was room for all three of them in the alcove.  Unfortunately, their 'picnic' as it were was about to be broken up by a somewhat familiar face. 

"Auror Borage-Brown!" Sophia said, half in exclamation of remembrance and half in greeting at seeing her again.  However, she did not need to ask why the woman was there considering previous events in November.  She stood as Dane took her hand and looked over to make sure @Annag Hambltonwas with them, listening as @Rayya Borage-Brown gave a concise but clear explanation of why she was there.  Sophia frowned as she listened and nodded at the auror's directions.  However, before she and Dane could take the lead, Annag reacted as well, including pulling her wand out.

"It's okay, Annag," Sophia said in a gentle voice.  "Auror Borage-Brown is good at what she does.  Trust her.   She'll take care of us and she can protect us better if she's behind us.  You'll be okay, I promise," Sophia reassured the girl, hoping the promise would not be broken."  Taking @Dane Golden-Keisi's hand again, she nodded to him and the auror that she was ready and hoped Annag would follow the two of them in the middle.

Rayya Borage-Brown

Rayy frowned as the youngest kid started crying and she sighed internally...this was not something she managed well. All her kids were a lot more self-sufficient because her patenting style was at best called ‘telescope parenting’ and at worst ‘abandonment’. But she wasn’t about to let the girl trail behind.  Fortunately Sophia...that was her name...was far better at mothering though Rayy doubted it would be enough. Stubborn and scared was much more familiar mix to her and last time she had epically failed in dealing with it. This time was going to be different because it wasn’t a risk she was willing to run...not again!

All the good parenting advice that she’d never actually followed cake flooding into her brain: get down on their level, make them know you understand, that their feelings are normal and acceptable, be clear on what’s going to happen and why, offer them choices...and, lastly, do not arrest them...no matter how many buttons they push! That last one being The Big One!

Rayy crouched down in order to on a more level ground. “Annag is it? I know that this is all a bit much, sweetie, but you have my word that nothing will happen to you. Sophia’s got a good head on her shoulders and she can handle herself in a tight spot. I’m assuming the young man can too, making the middle of us the safest spot for you. Can you be brave for me, Annag? If it helps I can rest my spare hand on your shoulder but there is no way you’re walking behind me even if I’m not expecting any trouble...and I promise I won’t trip over you, cross my heart! The Great Hall isn’t that far and this will all be over really soon but staying here is not an option.”

She offered the youngster a smile along with a questioning look but stood back up because they had no alternative- they couldn’t stay here. “If no one has any more objections, I’d really like to get you all to the Great Hall in the next ten minutes. Maybe you could all regale me with what’s been happening here and your views...as long as it’s not too loud...?”

Annag Hamblton

Annag looked at the pretty, blond lady stooping down to talk to her. She seemed so nice. Nobody ever took the time to stoop down and talk to the tiny girl. When the auror had finished, the Ravenclaw—so full of emotion—couldn't help but reach out and wrap her arms around the lady's waist and give her a big hug. "Thank you, miss." 

Feeling so much better, she was happy to take up her position in the middle of the group. Except for her friend, @Mira Skydel, who had been by her side during the attacks, it was the first time since she had come to Hogwarts when anyone had shown the least bit of concern or care for the wee moosie of a girl.

She wished she could reach up and hold the nice lady's hand, but she thought that would probably be a bit much since she was going to become a teenager in less than a year. Instead, she looked up and smiled a happy smile.

Dane Golden-Keisi

The young Ravenclaw started to cry and Dane didn't know what to do. He wasn't good in these types of situations when he didn't know the person. He could comfort @Sophia Hunter or his family members but when it came to strangers, he was lost. He understood humans and how they thought and felt but sometimes... none of it made any sense. And that was when he didn't know what to do. The fact that the girl was crying when nothing had happened confused him so he was glad when Sophia and the auror stepped in and dealt with it. He was sure he would only have made it worse.

He squeezed Sophia's hand and gave her a smile to convey his relief that all was well now and they were moving along. He had his wand out in his other hand, just in case. He was not a dueler but he did know a lot of spells and how to cast them. He'd also invented spells and that was enough to throw any attacker off. They likely wouldn't know what to do to block it and that was an advantage for him.

They started off and he wondered what the auror wanted to know. "Do you want to hear about how some students are bullying the werewolf students and they aren't getting in trouble for it? Or how the werewolf students are scared to live their lives because of the bullies? And when they defend themselves they are the ones to get in trouble and not the bullies? Can you do anything about that?" he asked. He didn't like what he was seeing at the school and if no one was going to say or do anything about it, he thought it was time that he should.

Rayya Borage-Brown

“I’d very much like to hear it,” Rayy replied, “I’m all ears in fact!”

The werewolf students being bullied was, sadly, only to be expected and how the staff dealt with that wasn’t in the purview of the Aurors. As much as it was distressing there wasn’t much she could do without some serious stepping on toes. “So your professors aren’t handling it well?” she asked. “You two girls can pipe in any time too, I’m interested in what you all have to say.”

She gave Annag’s shoulder a gentle squeeze to keep the youngster’s spirits up as they continued down the corridor. Her brain mulled over the implications of rampant bullying even as she scanned the area for any sign of danger. An uncomfortable idea started forming as  the two seemingly seperate things - bullying and vandalism - came together. 

They’d already got enough evidence to indicate that the vandalism wasn’t being perpetrated by a student but if she were right...well motive was a big thing. But first she needed more intel that they were unlikely to get another chance to obtain.  Another scan of the corridor indicated little in the way of a threat so she acted.

”Stop for a moment, please,” she asked and waited for the group to face her, “Would you say the bullying is worse after the vandalism events? That it seems to ignite the fear and hatred against the infected students? And do you think it’s bad enough that those students might decide not to return next year or that they might run away before then?”

Rayy was almost too scared to hear the trio’s opinions on her questions but she desperately needed to know because she’d just done the maths and didn’t like the results.

Sophia Hunter

Sophia returned the hand squeeze and smile, finding comfort in Dane's being there.  Like Dane, Sophia also had her wand drawn, thankful for her dueling experience even if it was not as much as others.  Leading their small brigade back towards the Great Hall, she listened as Dane asked the auror what she wanted to hear about.  When the subject of bullying came up, Sophia realized she felt grateful that the auror actually seemed to want to hear about what was going on.

"The professors are trying," Sophia responded to Rayya's comments.  "But it does not seem to be making any headway with some of the students."  Halting at Rayya's command, Sophia was a bit surprised considering the urgency that was evident but realized that Rayya Borage-Brown actually did want to hear what was happening.  Maybe, just maybe she could find a way to help the professors deal with the bullying.

Rolling the question that the auror asked over in her mind, recalling some of the incidents, Sophia finally responded with a firm, "Yes, I do think it is.  It seems that every newspaper article, every new poster against the affected students starts the cyle all over again."  She added, "I want to believe that the students doing the bullying are really just afraid for their safety but the professors and staff have gone over the safety plans and procedures multiple times and the only thing that will seem to make them happy is for the affected students to be kicked out of school."

Rayya Borage-Brown

“Well that’s understandable, fear can be a powerful motivator and it’ll be next to impossible to change their minds. You can explain and demonstrate until you’re blue in the face but unless something drastic happens, they won’t change their minds,” Rayy explained, her brow furrowed as she absorbed everything the older two were saying. 

Her mind wandered back to that night in November and to Ruth’s discovery of those papers and their implications. It was somewhat distressing to realise that the school she had known as long gone. Back in the day the student population wouldn’t have been so divided...or at least they’d never had anything to be divided about given the enemy was clearly just that and they’d chosen their path in life to become dark. Now though? Now there was just victims and more victims, endless shades of grey, where even the innocent could be seen as villains. The one safety net of solidarity amongst the school population, shattering apart before their very eyes. And what then?

She rubbed at her temple and sighed, the weight of youthful expectations heavy as lead on her shoulders, crushing her down. There was no hope that a bunch of Aurors would be able to stop the malaise and distrust running through the school - not when they were just another set of bad guys to some students. The only one who still had any credit here was Richard...but it was no use wishing for things to be different.

Rayy shifted her weight from one foot to the other, biting at her lip as she tried to think a dozen steps ahead, weighing up her words against prudence and too much honesty, settling for one more question that bypassed the whole issue of being unable to get involved with bullying as it was outside their jurisdiction.  “If the vandalism stopped and things settled down, do you think the bullying would too?”

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.