Sign in to follow this  
Fenella Campbell

Where's your sidekick?

Fenella Campbell

It was Sunday, somewhere in between breakfast and lunch (perfect brunch time really) when Fenella entered the hall in search of food. She'd had a lovely sleep in and was hoping to fill up on some bacon and eggs before walking down to the lake to feed the Giant Squid some toast. It was April now and the warmer weather meant she was craving to be outside in the sunshine. It was still Scotland though, so she would enjoy the sun while wearing her scarf and beanie and a tummy full of warm food. And it appeared that she really had the pick of the seats this morning! She began making her way down between the Hufflepuff and Slytherin tables when she spotted the hunched over brick build of her classmate Dale.

Dale had been so patient answering all her Quidditch questions when he was waiting to try out for the team. She thought it had been quite generous of him, especially since she was asking about things that were possibly making him more nervous than he probably already was. Although she had wanted to, she hadn't really spoken to him much since then, what with all the events surrounding the 8th November and the fact that she wasn't a fan of his best friend. @Julian Banagher wasn't around today so she made her way over to him. 

She sat next to him, keeping her back to the Slytherin table so she could keep her eyes on the rest of the room. "Hey," she smiled, giving him a little nudge. "Where's your sidekick this morning?"

Dale McQueen-Trengrove

He was scarfing down his usual weekend meal of steak and eggs, eating at an odd time on purpose so that not that many people would be around. On weekends it seemed that not everyone ate at the same time. He was trying to get to the dueling chamber as fast as possible so that he could practice. His spirits though completely heavy with the fact that he had lost Julian’s friendship — and it had been entirely his fault — were somewhat a little bit bolstered by the fact that he was doing well in the dueling tournament. 

Much to everyone’s surprise really, including his own. 

He was not expecting a familiar voice to approach him. Sidekick? He blinked. 

“You mean Julian?” He asked. He wondered if it had something to do with his size for why she had considered Julian a sidekick. But in a way their friendship had been built on teaming up and bullying other people. 

“I have no clue where he is.” His voice was a little more testy than he had meant it to be. Julian had made it very clear in their last encounter they were done. 

He was never going to forgive him. And so Dale had given up and resigned himself to the fact that he would now have to take on people like Leon and the Montagues alone. 

Fenella Campbell

You know that feeling when you say the wrong thing at the wrong time? Well if you have never seen it before, now is the time to tune in. Fenella's eyes widened as a flash of panic rushed over her. She was trying to be friendly, but from the tone of Dale's voice she gathered that perhaps she had had the opposite effect. Dale had been terse, he seemed tense and she was clearly troubling him with trivialities. She might have been 12, but she could read a room. 

"Yeah I mean Julian. You can tell me to mind my own business, but are things ok between you two?"

Looking at her friend she was genuine in her query and hoped Dale knew. Her original question was meant in jest as Dale and Julian were nearly always together and you didn't have to be observant to see that. Right now either she had hit a nerve, or maybe the Slytherin was just in a mood - as pre-teens they were prone to them. She thought on it for a moment though and came to the conclusion that yes she'd hit a nerve.

Hoping that she wasn't continuing down the road of saying the wrong thing at the wrong time (but with a strong sense that she was), she looked down to the floor and began to swing her feet in the way someone fidgets when they're talking about something confronting or uncomfortable. "I mean, I just noticed that you weren't hanging together in class anymore ... well not like you used to."

Dale McQueen-Trengrove

He gave a low laugh at Fenella’s inquiry. Things were not even close to being okay between him and Julian and Dale was starting to realize they probably would never be okay again. Maybe they’d come to some sort of mutual understanding just acknowledging each other in the hallways, a quiet understanding of what was and what could never exist again. 

“Not really,” he replied not sure how much to let on. “I kind of . . . “

He kind of did a million things he regretted. 

But he didn’t say that. Instead — 

“We don’t talk anymore.” 

And that was true. Julian had his other friends now — Kate and Aster namely and Pine. Whenever Dale saw Julian, he tried his hardest not to say anything. He tried to ignore him really. Though from time to time he had let his anger or jealousy or something get in the way. 

A werewolf has more friends than you. 

It was kind of ironic. 

Fenella Campbell

When two seemingly inseparable friends are no longer talking you know something big must have happened. The biggest thing since their sorting was clearly the evening of the 8th November. Fenella couldn't remember seeing either Dale or Julian much on the night, but then again she had been successfully hiding under the stands. But both boys had been unfortunate in that they had permanent reminders of the night - Julian suffered from lycanthropy and Dale had some mega scars on his face. A pang of guilt shot through her - so many of her classmates had suffered permanent injuries and she had come out of it all practically unscathed. 

"Hey Dale," she looked at him. She didn't expect him to look back but she was nervous enough as it was saying this. I mean she might have been there, but could she really understand what he had gone through? She thought for a moment before continuing. She was jumping the gun, perhaps something else had happened in the time since the attacks to tear the friends apart. She'd never know unless she asked and she didn't really feel like it was any of her business.

"You don't have to share with me, but I can listen if you want to talk or vent or whatever."

The words came out of her mouth and she was fair impressed with herself considering her conversation blunder earlier. Fenella really didn't want to be a sticky beak, but Dale had been so nice to her that day on the Quidditch pitch and right now all she could think of doing was repaying his kindness with some kindness of her own. 

Dale McQueen-Trengrove

Dale turned to look at her. “Thanks.” He was glad that she was not pushing anything and letting him kind of just eat there in silence if he really wanted to. And he did do just that for a couple of minutes. 

“I really screwed up,” he said in between forkfuls of eggs. “But it’s not a big deal.” Except that it was. But he hadn’t confided to anyone about it really and it wasn’t Dale’s thing to say how he was feeling. He had never really been close enough to anyone to say how he was feeling. The most vulnerable he had ever gotten had not necessarily been by conscious choice. 

He supposed he did open up to his pen pal, but that was easier in a way because it was anonymous. He didn’t know who it was. 

“How have you been?” He asked trying to turn the conversation to talking about anything but his now lost friendship with Julian. 

Fenella Campbell

Fenella gave Dale her best you're welcome smile. They weren't close enough friends for her to push him to respond, and it really wasn't any of her business. There wasn't much else she could say after that, so she swivelled on her seat to face the table. Grabbing a plate she piled on some scrambled eggs, a rasher of bacon, a breakfast sausage, some spinach and mushrooms before tucking in to it. It was brunch time and she was hungry!

The Hufflepuff was about three mouthfuls in and her fork was halfway between the plate and her chin when Dale spoke again. She paused, thinking that he might be opening up and if she moved it might startle him and he would stop talking. Fenella so badly wanted to reassure him he hadn't screwed up, even though she had no idea how or why he had come to that conclusion. When he dismissed his own comment saying it wasn't a big deal, she took his lead and decided not to ask about it again. She'd told him she would be there if he wanted to talk about it and right now it was clear he didn't want to.

Instead she responded with, "Hungry," as she tried to talk as well as not splutter across the table. She held up her hand as if to pause for a moment while she finished her mouthful. "I mean good. I've been good." 

At this point she could’ve opened up to him about how she was still struggling to make sense of her new magical life, or that hiding it and lying to her friends back home had given her massive amounts of guilt. Perhaps if she had shared Dale might feel inclined to share his story. But this was something she’d barely spoken about and so decided to change the topic.

"How’s Quidditch going? I saw you made the team - congrats!”

Edited by Fenella Campbell
Just because I can

Dale McQueen-Trengrove

"That's good," he said almost absentmindedly as he took another bite of his food. His mind was still a million miles away about how badly he had mangled his friendship with Julian and how he shouldn't have said nearly half of the things that he had. But it was all too late now. The way Julian looked at him these days said it all. 

The hate was burning behind his eyes and time had not yet dulled that into something less

If that could ever even happen. 

He was glad when she started talking about Quidditch and not about the fact that he no longer hung around Julian and he seized upon the change of subject. 

"Er -- it's going fine. I played in my first game finally." That had been awesome even if his mind had been on anything but the game and more on Honorine and trying to impress Willa and Verity. "And thanks. I suppose my beating skills have got to count for something, right?" 

Fenella Campbell

"Well," Fenella began. She hadn't stopped eating, but it's not like she was shovelling the food in - if her grandmother had heard that she was talking with her mouth full well let's just say she was glad that Granny didn't know what a Howler was. Truth was though as much as she had wanted to, Fenella hadn't seen any Quidditch. She hadn't returned to the pitch since that night. "Well you fly well," (as everyone had witnessed in class), "and you definitely impressed in the try outs," (because she'd seen and watched), "so of course your beater skills count."

She hoped she sounded knowledgable and not at all like she wasn't there to witness his Hogwarts debut. Problem was all she knew of Quidditch she practically learned from Dale the last time they had a conversation that wasn't a 'hey' as they passed in the corridor or a 'can you pass the bezours?' in potions class.

Using her fork, Fenella pushed around the last remnants of scrambled eggs on her plate. She was playing with her food because she knew that just as soon as she spoke that last sentence she wouldn't be able to keep it up. It's not like she was intentionally lying, "But if I'm honest ..." she stopped playing with her food.

"I didn't see you play because I haven't been back to the pitch since well ..." she shrugged. 

Dale McQueen-Trengrove

"Thanks," he said to her. He had no doubt his beater skills had impressed but he had been nervous about his overall flying skills. Though apparently he had done just enough with his beating skills to make the team. "You stayed around and watched the whole thing?" He was honestly surprised when people seemed to know anything at all about whether he was good at Quidditch or not, mostly because he didn't think anyone really cared at all. 

Or that he had done anything worth noticing. Although he had made a splash in the dueling tournament he supposed. He had at the very least, placed. 

The conversation took on a different mood then and Dale could tell that she was thinking about the night of the attacks. 

"Yeah," was all he could really say. That night had really changed a lot. Maybe not necessarily him personality wise, but it had changed certain things around him including his now ex-best friendship with Julian. "Everything's different now. I grew up with him. And now that is all just . . . gone." 

Fenella Campbell

November 8. Though she didn’t have a permanent scar like the boy next to her, there was definitely some emotional scarring that Fenella wasn’t sure would ever go away. She heard it in his voice and in that second she realised that a Christmas party had been too soon. However good her intentions had been to try and bring all her classmates together, it definitely wasn’t the right time. Inadvertently Dale had told her that now with one word. Yeah. It weighed so heavily - there was so much behind it. Perhaps she was reading in to it more than she ought to because she was sure Dale wasn’t aware of the monologue currently taking place in her head. He himself looked a little lost in thought for a moment too.

He broke the silence first and Fenella was glad. It had been a short moment of awkwardness, not between the two of them because Fenella was completely fine with not talking, but in her brain and reliving that night and the aftermath of it all again. She was glad to be interrupted from those thoughts before they started to spiral. 

She knew he meant Julian. Perhaps he really did want to talk? Only problem was Fenella wasn’t exactly Julian’s biggest fan.  Right away she really wanted to tell him You don’t need that jerk in your life or You’re better off without him. But keeping with her premature party line of thought, no matter how good her intentions, she guessed that bagging out their classmate  might not be the best first choice of action. Her next choice had to be better, because in front of her was a friend that was hurting and he didn’t deserve it.

”Everything is different now. But that doesn’t mean it will stay this way forever.”

And just because she felt he might need that extra reassurance she put her closest arm around his shoulders and gave an encouraging squeeze. Everything was different now - Dale had her in his corner.  

Dale McQueen-Trengrove

Even if things wouldn't stay this way forever and the dislike Julian had for him dulled to a sense of something else, he knew things could never go back to the way they had been before -- prior to Hogwarts. "But it can't go back either," he said a little wistfully as he gazed off into the corner at nothing in particular at all. His eyes ended up staring at a wall -- specifically @Wren The Heckler and he distractedly watched the portrait for a little while. 

That was until Fenella put her arm around his shoulders and squeezed him. He froze, stiffening a little. He was not prepared for that at all and he was slightly uncomfortable with the contact. He was not used to such contact, unless it was from his mum.

But he let her do it and after the initial shock wore off, it felt nice. "Thanks." For being there but he didn't add that part. 

Fenella Campbell

She’d put her arm as far around him as she could, which was hard because he was tall and stocky and she was small and sprightly. Medium and sprightly. Not the shortest that’s for sure but far from being tall at the same time. It’s what anyone in her family would do for her if she needed some cheering up, so it had just sort of happened instinctively. When Dale had frozen for a moment she realised that not everyone liked to be hugged or given encouraging squeezes on their big broad shoulders. Oh dear. But it was done now so she didn’t try to shy away from it, she just took her arm back and smiled. There wasn’t much more that could be said with words or gestures so she decided that now was a good as time as any to get on with her plans for the day.

”Well,” she stood up, “I’m going to take some of this left over toast down to the lakefront and feed it to the Giant Squid.”

And with that she left Dale and the Great Hall in search of some sunshine outside.

The End (for now)

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.