Professor Foster

All Student Assembly

Professor Foster

The assembly had specifically been advertised to "all students", because Peggy was damned if she was going to host an assembly that specified "no werewolves allowed". However, since both this assembly and the werewolf one were scheduled at the same time, it ended up being a distinction without a difference. She would be addressing the entire non-werewolf portion of the student body and doing so with the help of the Herbology Professor, Stefan Hambeldon.

Peggy was a bit perplexed with the Headmistress' thinking on that one, if she was perfectly honest. Had it been Peggy's decision she would have addressed the room herself, or possibly with crowd control help from her co-professor, Stuart McGonagall--he at least had the defense credentials. Foster wasn't sure what Stefan had. (Some would say people skills, but the thought had not occurred to Peggy.)

After waiting vainly for the assembled students to settle, Professor Foster pointed her wand upward and discharged it with a 'crack' not unlike a roman candle exploding. Once she had their attention she began.

"I am sure there are places you would rather be than here. So let's make this as quick and painless as possible. The headmistress has asked the two of us to speak to you about our present security situation and to answer any questions you might have."

"I'd like to start by announcing a change in the school schedule, effective immediately. All classes on the day of the full moon will be cancelled. You may consider this a study day. Morning classes the following day will also be canceled as well but will resume as usual in the afternoon." Her own students had been on this schedule since the beginning of term, but the Headmistress had agreed to make it a school wide policy.

That was the good news. Peggy expected the next announcement would not go over quite as well.

"In addition, curfew on the day of the full moon will be before dusk. The exact time will vary with the season, but you will be given auditory warnings well before the fact." She raised a hand to ward off protests and lifted her voice above the din. "Yes, I am aware that dusk comes early this time of year. For that reason your evening meal will be served in your common rooms. Prefect patrols will also be suspended that night, though your heads of house might ask you to help maintain order within your house. No one is to leave their common rooms from dusk on the night of the full moon to dawn of the following day."

"Settle down please," Foster said above the rising voices this announcement had aroused. "I know you have questions and we will get to those shortly. Before we do however I want to emphasize that this is an information meeting only. You ask for information. We provide information. What this is not is a debate society or a committee meeting on the best way to run a school. If we wanted you to share your opinions and feelings that would be a different meeting--one that I would not be attending. Furthermore hate speech and racist language will not be tolerated, and if anyone so much as draws a wand--"

The sound of a throat being cleared was faint and polite, so it was difficult to guess how many times Professor Hambeldon might have had to clear his throat to get Peggy's attention, but however many it was the message eventually got through, and Peggy checked herself, nodding to let him know she understood.

"Professor Hambeldon would like to say a few words before we begin with the questions. Professor Hambeldon?"

Foster stepped back to give Professor Hambeldon room, and as she did she gave him a faint smile of encouragement. They are going to walk all over him, she thought.

Welcome to the  ALL STUDENT  Non-werewolf Students ‘ Assembly!

Please wait for Professor Hambeldon to post with instructions.

Edited by Professor Foster

Professor Hambeldon

Stefan was more than happy to follow Peggy's lead on this given that she was the Defense Against the Dark Arts professor and was well versed in the new security measures that Hogwarts was taking in response to the fact that the November 8, 2041 attacks had made 11 students now turn into werewolves once a month during the full moon. It was a dreadful thing to have happened and even worse were the posters and the radio show and the unwelcome publicity that was making everything ten times worse. 

This assembly that they were having was more than overdue in Stefan's opinion. Perhaps it could have avoided certain situations already if the staff made clear what was expected of the students. But at least something was being done now. 

As Professor Foster talked longer and longer Stefan realized that he had to get her attention if he wanted to say anything or else she might talk forever. While he was willing to take a back seat, there were a couple of things that he had wanted to say to the student body for some time. The part-goblin had experienced bigotry himself over the years - and at Hogwarts no less so he could speak from experience. He cleared his throat several times until it finally got Peggy's attention. The tiny professor waved his wand, creating a platform for himself so that he could reach the podium and then whispered a tiny “sonorous” before speaking. 

"Before we get to the questions," he said, "I just wanted to add a few words of my own. Please know that we do care about your feelings, beliefs, and opinions but we have a lot of facts to convey about what the school is doing in the wake of the tragedy, so perhaps now is not the best time to express them. If you have more that you want to say, I am more than happy to meet with you privately and take up your concerns then. You may feel free to make an appointment at any time. I am here for you. I also encourage you all to join P.A.W. - Pals and Allies of Werewolves. I am the faculty sponsor. I understand that this may not be what some of you want to hear but it is the reality that we are dealing with and we cannot be in the business of punishing the eleven students who were victims like a lot of you. You need to understand that they are first and foremost humans and exactly like you and me and everyone else." 

Being part-goblin himself, Stefan had been the subject of bigotry over the years including at Hogwarts so he knew what it was like. And he especially knew how he wanted to be treated. 

He cleared his throat again. 

"Okay now any questions?" 

-------- 

OOC: this thread is now open. It will stay open until next Sunday, May 5, 2019 until 12AM CST*. We will be hosting 24 hour rounds starting now. You may ask one question addressed to us per round. We will be trying to answer everyone's question in every round. Please PM us if you have any concerns or questions. This thread is open to all non-werewolf students. Werewolf students you have your own assembly here which many of you have already seen. 

*Note: we may extend this if there is a lot of interest or change things accordingly.

Nox Bordelon

Nox had opted to attend this 'assembly' because he was never one to pass on an opportunity to get his soapbox on.  That, of course, meant that @Maggie Sinclair was with him, still sporting that beret she'd probably stolen from some thrift shop somewhere.  This was a joke, obviously.  It had to be.  Or, at least, half of it was.

Professor Foster he could get behind.  The other one?

Not so much.

Nox stood up, fingers still linked with Maggie's, and cleared his throat.  "Yeah, @Professor Foster, I'd just like to know why you're holding this assembly with him if it's supposed to be done in the nature of safety and equality?"  He kept his face innocent...sweet, even, schooled in tact and careful diplomacy.  "After all, he gave detentions to kids that were defending werewolves from hateful slurs while failing to give detention to his niece, who was one of the students using such hateful language to describe our new lunar-inhibited friends.  How are we supposed to feel like our questions are being met with unbiased answers when we've seen how biased some of the staff is?  How are we supposed to trust the staff at all when things like that are happening?  To keep us safe or to be fair, equal, and unbiased?"

Phillip Aldermaston

Phillip stared at them for a moment – they really didn’t care about their feelings and opinions and beliefs and all of that.   Nor did they really care about his safety – he wouldn’t be here with the woman who wrote to her if they actually gave a damn about what he felt on the matter.

Last time … private had not got him anywhere.  But they weren’t exactly like them.   For one thing, Ryan kind of had a point (as much as he didn’t want to believe it) and for another, nobody had seemed too bothered about what happened with regards to the rest of them.

So…  “Uhh, yeah. What if someone….”  - non-infected, one of us but none of those sounded right so he settled for “….here…” before finishing with “is sick or hurt on the full moon night?”  Had they even considered that at all?!

Phillip was Phillip though so he’d mostly looked at Professor Hambledon when he’d said that – though he couldn’t resist sneaking a glance at Ryan Bur-something when he thought  the older boy wasn’t looking.

Damien Belizaire

Damien had nothing to offer to the discussion but he used the opportunity to pass around some catalogs featuring the Ryker Yeet collection his upcoming collection inspired by wolves, for humans who wanted to express their bigotry by wearing them. 

Or for those who appreciated high fashion. 

Either worked. 

Ryszard Althaus-Valerio

An assembly.

Ryszard had received the announcement just like everyone else, and it had sent his hair standing on end, as he’d exchanged a glance with @Jacqueline Frost, knowing full well none of this would end in a happy ending. The way his friends had been treated throughout this whole thing, — he had watched @Jaxon Sinclair twitch at night, had watched Jack war with her inner demons, had watched @Pandora Midnight cry at the way the chips had fallen — the way none of the big smack talkers were being punished, how someone kept hanging those heinous posters — it only served to make him angrier, and Ryszard didn’t know if it was this or the situation back home that was making his blood boil the most.

He curled his hands into fists, staring fixedly at the two professors, @Adrina Althaus-Valerio at his side. Ryszard didn’t want to say anything in front of his sister; he didn’t want her to believe what everyone said about him — anyone but her, but when an older Hufflepuff shot up and said the exact same words that had been prattling away in Ryszard’s mind, he couldn’t stop himself from opening his mouth and spitting out some choice words.

”I think, Professors,” he drawled, loud. “You don’t have your own facts straight. The school is doing nothing, absolutely flacking nothing.” His voice went an octave higher. “Our names have literally been plastered on banners outside in the Quidditch Pitch. Our friends are being painted as the monsters and we’re being told they’re eventually going to kill us — trying to flacking scare us into leaving them — and you want us to be nice?” He snapped. “How are our opinions and feelings not important here when we’re the ones being affected?” His nails were digging into his palms, as he tried to keep his voice steady.

Edited by Ryszard Althaus-Valerio

Adrina Althaus-Valerio

Truthfully, Addy would have rather been in the other assembly (or at least she thought she would have) sitting with @Jaxon Sinclair and squeezing his hand whenever anything got exceptionally shifty.  Party because she knew things were bound to get shifty and partly because she wasn't at all sure how much of whatever would happen here she could take without him.   

But, that wasn't an option.  So instead, Adrina was shuffling in alongside her brother, finding a place to sit that wasn't too far from wherever @Maggie Sinclair and her boyfriend were because Addy had quickly picked up that if anything ugly were to go down she wanted that witch in her corner.  She'd already decided she wasn't going to speak up, not unless insults started getting hurled again.  

She was here to listen and then leave and only because she had to be.  She doubted there was anything that would be said here that she didn't already think, or hadn't already heard.   

The people she'd surrounded herself with here, didn't subscribe to her theory though and she was ultimately, thankful for it.  Nox pointing out the way some of the staff turned their heads and her brother bringing up the banners that had succeeded in striking fear into her heart even though she was doing her best to push it back out again.   She sniffled sadly and reached her fingers around @Ryszard Althaus-Valerio's arm briefly and squeezed it.  Anything she might've wanted to say, he'd covered anyway.  Repeating that she still had no intentions of turning her back on any of those friends no matter these consequences didn't seem to matter here.   

Edited by Adrina Althaus-Valerio

Aster Darling

Aster was all for the assembly. She had a few issues she would like to get out, and she felt weren't being addressed. She waited patiently while others spoke before standing on a bench.

"As a first year, and the fact many of the Werewolves are first years, I want to know how you will prevent the older students from abusing their powers. Mainly prefects."

Aster hoped it was okay she was standing on a bench. "I was in the North Tower with my friend, when a Prefect came upon us and he threatened my friend because of his status. He took away points and threatened to hang him by his ankles because he is a werewolf. He then proceeded to basically tell me my friend will attack me one day because of something he can't help. The professor who did help us was of little assistance.. This is the second time he's gotten away with tormenting my friend." Aster clenched her fist.

"My name was also on those banners. I've had older students also tell me I'll be attacked like Margo Ward. Which is a lot more threatening to me than my friends have ever been. I've been belittle and essentially told my opinion doesn't matter because of my age." She was getting off topic. "Sorry. It's a lot I know."

Maggie Sinclair

It was hard to keep her seat at Fosters words, and the marked absence of her brother, and actually the rest of the werewolves, but she did it by biting the inside of her lip nearly bloody and holding tight to Nox’s hand. The talk of unreasonable sounding curfews nearly pushed her to stand on the tables proper and scream her displeasure to the skies, but still she managed to hold her tongue.  At least until Hambeldon had the nerve to stand there and talk at them about moving forward from the attacks like he hadn’t thrown her arse in detention like she’d been in the wrong for enforcing Hogwarts supposed zero tolerance policies regarding hate speech and harassment?

He was a hypocrite as far as she was concerned, and would have told him so but Nox had already beaten her to the punch. That was fine by her, because he wanted questions, she had pertinent ones. The kind she kind of hoped he’d try to dodge just so she’d have the pleasure of dragging him for filth before her inevitable expulsion from the entire school district.

“Not the best time to express them?” she scoffed. “ Full offense, but get flacked @Professor Hambeldon. This is my family out here being harassed and painted as boogiemen! But I should, you know, maybe try to get my time for action and talk penciled in for a later date?!” Maggie couldn't believe what she was hearing. Even if the curfew thing made sense, everything else sounded insane.

Rys was there and suddenly speaking, and Maggie took the time to suck in several very needed breaths because the sodding nerve! When he’d finished, Maggie was back on the attack.

“And since you wanted questions, sir," She all but spit the title.  "after all the curfew giving and gross banquet dinners in the commons, are you lot going to keep acting like people like Behati and her merry band of bigots aren’t out here making kids cry and generally bringing an unpleasant atmosphere to the castle, or nah?” Because that was the important thing here.

Edited by Maggie Sinclair

Hatty Hambeldon

“I have never raised my wand to any of you,” Hatty replied glaring @Nox Bordelon. “But yet you all stand there letting everyone else use their wand to attack me with magic,” she hissed not even bothering to wait to raise her hand and ask questions. 

“What is this school doing about the equally bigoted comments about part-goblins? Or are you only not tolerating the non-werewolf comments? Because that’s exactly what happened the other day when Professor Fjord only gave Jacqueline Frost a slap on the wrist, at best.” 

Maggie Sinclair

Maggie whirled on @Hatty Hambeldon, yanking her hand out of Nox's. “Oh shut up! You’re out here with your idiot boy toy claiming people who haven’t hurt you WILL, but it’s you who’s a victim?”

Ryan Buratsche

“You people have acted like monsters when all we’ve done is express our opinions without hurting anyone,” Ryan grumbled.

Aster Darling

Aster frowned and rolled her eyes at @Ryan Buratsche. "You've made plenty of people cry. Pretty sure that's hurtful."

Professor Foster

Sorry for that delay. We hope to not do that again, however, please see the note below for posting policies we've decided to institute in order to help us manage our responses.

Peggy raised an eyebrow when @Professor Hambeldon offered the entire assembly the opportunity to meet with him privately to discuss their “feelings, beliefs, and opinions”. She thought it very brave of him or perhaps very naive. She was also surprised the hear his affiliation with P.A.W., the werewolf huggers with the cutesy posters. Apparently Professor Hambeldon was a sensitive do-gooder. It now made more sense to Peggy why the Headmistress might have picked him to act as a counterpoint to her more forthright (and less-tactful) approach. Not everyone was impressed with his good-guy creds though, as was soon evident when the questioning began.

As @Nox Bordelon leveled his charges against Hambeldon, Professor Foster made eye contact with Stefan and subtly signaled him not to go on the defensive. She thought it might be better to respond to Nox’ accusation on Stefan’s behalf, but by then the next question had been asked, and then the next, until soon the session was spiraling out of control.

Foster’s expression remained stoic throughout, save for an increased clenching of her jaw. However as the sniping between @Maggie Sinclair, @Hatty Hambeldon, and @Ryan Buratsche reached a crescendo, Foster raised her wand skyward as she had done at the start of the session and discharged another loud blast.

“Enough,” she said. “Take your seats again please. If you want to be be treated with respect please practice it yourself. We’ve said we’d answer questions as best we could and Professor Hambeldon has gone so far as to offer to hear out each and every one of you privately. With that generous offer on the table some of you are proving my point that we’d get more done without emotional outbursts, rather than proving the opposite. We will be physically unable to give you the answers you deserve if this continues, and that is frankly unfair to every person in this hall who might want or need information.”

“Now, you’ve made good points, some of you anyway. I’ve heard at least one excellent question,”  she said, nodding at @Phillip Aldermaston, (who would have thought that he would have been the voice of reason out of all of them?) “and have been informed of an extremely disturbing incident that I plan to investigate,” she glanced at @Aster Darling here and nodded. "I agree with some of the rest of what has been said as well, but think that some of you have the wrong idea about our beliefs, intentions, and the institution’s resolve, as I’d like to explain. Indulge me, as I try to recall all your talking points in no particular order.”

“Mr. Bordelon you’ve leveled a serious charge against Mr. Hambeldon, but your premise is flawed. I have myself punished students on both sides of this issue and will continue to do so for as long as both sides persist in violating the Hogwarts code of conduct. I was not present in the case you mention, so it is impossible for me to speak to the particulars, however any student who physically attacks another student is likely to be punished more severely than one who does not. It seems a safe bet,” she added, looking from Hatty Hambeldon (who Peggy had never known to be physically violent) to Maggie Sinclair at Nox’s side, “that this might have been factored in.”

“Mr. Aldermaston--Phillip,” she corrected herself, remember how he hated being addressed by his surname, “you’ve asked an excellent, important question, and while I know it was something @Miss Lushia was planning for, I haven't heard her final decision. It’s possible she’ll be able to provide staff in each location or that she’ll have a system for escorting students, however I would prefer not to speculate and give you the wrong answer. I will ask her to make sure that information gets dispersed though.”

“Let’s see, @Ryszard Althaus-Valerio you were next I believe,” Foster said frowning at the memory. “Your charges about what the school has or hasn’t done are incorrect, though I would agree with you that the situation is dire, perhaps more that you know. I’ll get back to that in a moment.”

“Ms Darling, the situation you describe in the north tower sounds appalling. I’d like to speak to you more about the particulars privately.” Peggy Foster knew all too well what it felt like to be small and powerless and at the mercy of a racist prefect. She hoped that in this case there would be enough evidence for justice to be done.

“That brings me to--Ah yes, Ms. Sinclair. You told Professor Hambledon to ‘get flacked’ I believe, which gives me no choice but to deduct points, which is a pity as I am otherwise sympathetic to much of your point of view.”

“And then all hell broke loose,” she continued shaking her head equally over Maggie, Hatty and Ryan. Foster sighed deeply. She then stepped off the dais and walked further into the hall addressing the students at closer range.

“As to the questions and accusations I have not yet answered let me sum up the situation we find ourselves in--as I see it: Hogwarts is under attack from unknown forces, both within and without the school. The Ministry and Department of Magical Law Enforcement are on the case, but we have more reasons than ever to doubt and distrust them. Professors are biased, prefects are biased, students are biased--” she shrugged-- “everyone is biased to one degree or another, though not everyone to the degree that they are accused of by their detractors. Hogwarts has reason to be afraid, though not of the things that are most often cited in the news. The management of of student werewolf population, at least physically, is the one thing most under control, but that won’t save us if we continue to tear each other apart instead of being vigilant to the unknown threats.”

“If that sounds frightening it’s because it is. I’m sure some of my colleagues would be aghast at my being so candid, but I don’t believe in lying to children or anyone ‘for their own good’. You deserve to know as much of what we know as possible so you may be watchful and support one another, and perhaps, at least to a little extent, put aside attacking your professors and each other.”

“Let me see if i can return to your charges. Do we have biased professors?” She shrugged. “I don’t believe any of us can be separated completely from our own biases, but for the most part I believe our professors are trying to police the school and apply the code of conduct evenly. Is it enough? No. We miss things. We aren’t everywhere. We sometimes come upon a group of students who are too fast and too chaotic for us to manage and we end up punishing the most egregious things we see while missing others. Have there been abuses by professors? Absolutely,” she said angrily, her face darkening. “There has been at least one suspension. If similar behavior persists there may be more. The headmistress is addressing complaints as they come to her, but as much as I respect the old girl, she is not all knowing and all seeing. You need to continue to take complaints to her if you see them, rather than getting in a fight with a professor that ends up painting you as the problem.”

“What I’ve said about professors can be repeated for prefects. Some have been wonderful in helping to defend those attacked. Others...not so much. We want to know when abuses occur. Prefects have been served detention. There has been at least one suspended badge. It is false to claim nothing is being done, though I agree we need to do better.”

“The attack on November 8 is being investigated by the Ministry. I attended the latest news briefing so if any of you would like me to repeat what was said, you may ask. The case is by no means solved however, so while you complain about the new curfew and other restrictions that have been placed on you, bear in mind that we are still on watch for another attack. I’m afraid I can not tell you each and every one of the new defense measures the school has instituted to prepare for that attack, because that in itself would be a breach of security.”

“Which brings me to the posters and banners. Some of you may agree with their sentiment. I do not, and I hope that the majority of you do not. However, whether you agree or disagree, you should consider them a threat, as we do, because their presence points very clearly to a saboteur within our midst. I’m probably not supposed to tell you that either,” she said, glancing ruefully at her fellow professor, who she suspected was regretting having ever agreed to co-present with Peggy Foster. “However, I feel it’s important that you know that someone internal is actively working against us, attacking the student population in an attempt to cause discord, though by the looks of things they needn’t have bothered because we are doing an excellent job of destroying ourselves on our own. Believe me when I say that those postings enrage me. The headmistress considers finding who is behind them one of her highest priorities. We are investigating, the auror’s department is investigating, but so far there is nothing I can tell you other than the fact that you should not suspect each other. No student is behind the magic involved.”

She took another deep breath and then returned to stand next to the dais and Professor Hambeldon. "I would like to begin again, however may we please go a bit slower? Raise your hand, ask one question. Try to be respectful, even if you have a complaint to be made. You are much more likely to have your complaint addressed if you can avoid starting a fight in the hall or putting me or Professor Hambeldon on the defensive."

Okay this is what we are going to do. We will come on once a day between now and Monday, May 6, 2019 until 12AM CST. We will plan to address 5* questions each time, no more. For that reason we'd like you to clearly mark at the top of your post if you are asking a question.

Mark your post with the word QUESTION bolded with a number between 1 and 50.

Posts that are not marked will not be considered in the 5 questions we randomly draw, but behavior might be noted in our replies. If your question is not drawn in a 24 hour period it will be considered the next day. You may also post again.

*The number of questions we answer each day is subject to change if we find we can or can't handle 5.

Edited by Professor Foster

Prince A. Charming

Atticus had not been paying much attention. He had been informed that he needed to go to some assembly and he assumed that meant it was in the Great Hall. When he got there, he sat in the back so that he could look for @Harmony Granger-Weasley and @Samuel Curtis. After a few minutes, he didn’t see either of them. He thought that was odd but he turned to face the front anyway. He didn’t want to miss what was being said so he turned to the front. He made sure that he was slumped down so that no one could see him. He got enough attention as it was.

The Gryffindor yawned since he was so very tired all the time now. His body would never get used to his werewolf transformations or how the moon affected him. He hated it, of course, but there was nothing he could do about it. This was his life now. He was forever changed. There was no going back. But it felt like there was no going forward, either. It was like he was stuck in a perpetual loop of awfulness. He wanted control over his own life but that was something that had been taken away from him the instant the werewolves had bitten him.

The assembly began and he realized that he was in the wrong place. He slunk down further in his seat. He didn’t see any of the other werewolf students. And as the regular, human students began to talk, he knew that he was not meant to hear what they were saying. He was on the end of a row of seats so he thought about getting up and leaving. But would that bring attention to him? He took a deep breath and decided that he had no other choice. He put one foot into the aisle and then hustled out of the doors and into the Entrance Hall. There, he ran up the stairs, unsure of where to go.

“You’re supposed to be in the Astronomy Tower!” a portrait shouted at him. It could have been random nonsense but he remembered hearing or reading something about that. So he set off in that direction, hoping that he’d find where he was meant to be not only for these assemblies but for his entire life.

Atticus is now heading to the right assembly.

Nox Bordelon

QUESTION

It took everything that Nox had not to roll his eyes.  So he gritted his teeth instead, letting go of Maggie's hand to cross his arms.  He was still standing, fighting the urge to point out what a flaming hypocrite Hatty was.

"Likely to be punished more severely?" Nox asked, arching an eyebrow.  "May I ask why?  Is the emotional and psychological abuse being hurled at our resident werewolves somehow less insidious than someone being slapped?  Those things are just as damaging as being physically hit.  So why is singling out a very specific group and dehumanizing them not being considered just as egregious as physical action taken in defense of another?"

Miss Turner

Miss Turner stood at the back of the Great Hall, leaning against the wall. Her arms were crossed and her lips were pursed. She did not like what she was hearing or what she was seeing. The attacks had changed the school so drastically that she wasn't even sure where she worked anymore. The children were divided. The staff was stressed. She was surprised that they were still open, truth be told. 

There was only so much that she could do. She wasn't one to step up and start lecturing but she would if she needed to. She didn't like that students were hating each other simply for existing. It wasn't right and if they weren't taught differently now... would they ever be? It was a scary thought. They would all be adults in the future and if this was how they were going to act, the wizarding world was doomed.

The woman was glad that she didn't have to lead the discussion or deal with it. @Professor Foster and @Professor Hambeldon had it covered, even if the two of them didn't feel that way. Paige would contribute in another way. She had an idea... she would have to get to work quickly before she was found out but she would make sure she got it done.

Just a spectator/bouncer.

Adrina Althaus-Valerio

The loud blast from @Professor Foster‘s wand caused her to flinch but when she saw her first opportunity... once the dust had settled again... 

“But you have hurt people.” Adrina couldn’t stop herself from raising her own hand and then rising from her seat with a frown firmly planted on her lips, turning around to address the comments from the older students.  “Maybe not with your wands but with your words.”

Perhaps it was the hufflepuff in her but Adrina knew it to be true.  She’d seen their power in the snapshots and glimpses of the way her father spoke to her brother, and felt it in the way both her parents rarely seemed to even acknowledge her.  She felt it in the way people like @Margarleon Turpentine and even @Jacqueline Frost would snap and snark at her on occasion even though she might’ve pretended not to notice.

And the hurt was written all over the faces of her friends every time a new poster was discovered in the corridors, or another accusations was made of what could be.  The hateful words even continued to spill now and they weren’t even in the room.

Adrina didn’t waste her own words on addressing the professors.  The pain caused to her friends wasn’t being written there by them.  Instead she looked to @Ryan Buratsche and @Hatty Hambeldon in turn.

“The words hurt you too, obviously, or you wouldn’t be in here even bringing up that goblins had been mentioned at all.  No one here has been hurt, not physically anyway by someone like you.” She exhaled and then realized just how hard she was clenching her fists.  

“But your words have hurt so many people and you don’t even care.  Maybe none of them can control what happens to them a handful of nights out of the year but that face isn’t the one you’re yelling at.  That mind isn’t the one you’re assaulting. You don’t even know any of them, do you?”

There was a small pause, her head tilted to the side before she continued on, before she could lose her nerve.   “They are people I care about, that I live with, the girls that I share my secrets to and the boy that worries more about my safety every full moon then you ever could.” She finished with a sigh, her fingers trembling as she moved to sit again, but those had just a few more words. 

“You?  All you’re doing is getting your name in the paper.”

- no number or question... just some comments - 

Edited by Adrina Althaus-Valerio
coding problems omg.

Edward Borage

QUESTION

Edward sat quietly and unobtrusively at the end of a row at the back listening without much surprise as tensions rose again and the division between the sides erupted. As much as he was getting used to such animosity it still made him deeply uncomfortable. Both sides were probably right in their views - only a fool would think that werewolves were safe - but that didn’t take into account that those infected were his age or not much older and their only crime was being in the wrong place at the wrong time. 

He turned another page in his journal and jotted quick notes with his charcoal pencil, his eyes darting around as each person talked. Some of them he could put names to but most were not in that category. He perked his ears up when Phillip asked a question, now there was someone he couldn’t put his finger on. And it was reassuring to know that the professors did seem to have a plan of action. But the older boy’s question made him think of his own and he sat stewing on it until things settled down a bit.  

Edward finally got to his feet and nervously asked, “Does anyone know who is responsible for the posters?” He swallowed and added, “It seems that just when things settle a bit, another round comes out. It probably isn’t helping that Ryan guy or that other girl feel any safer either...sorry but I don’t remember her name...and...yeah...not that it’s doing anything for either side.”

He sat down but shot straight back up to add, “So who wants to set everyone against each other?”

Phillip Aldermaston

Question: 18

Uh, no.  He couldn’t have heard that right.   Foster could not have just said that they wouldn’t answer questions if a few people acted up.   Not physically being able to was….well, they needed to find a way…because frankly, not answering questions because of a few idiots was not fair and therefore it wasn’t good enough.    Yeah, Phillip had been sorted into Hufflepuff for a reason.

Phillip stiffened at being addressed by his surname – he was not his older brother and Anthony had made a right pig’s ear out of himself at Hogwarts so he was worried about being judged as Anthony’s little brother and not Phillip – this was why he hated it.

Still, his body language relaxed a little when Professor Foster corrected herself. Hmmm…. “Uh…I…um…bear with me please….long question.”   No, deep breath and start that question again.  “I think I misheard something so I guess I’m asking for something to be cleared up? It kind of sounded like we won’t get answers” and by we, Phillip meant the well-behaved lot  “if they” – a wave of the hand at the idiots acting up “keep being idiots.”  Well, that wasn’t tactful, was it? Ooops.

And yes, Phillip was asking a genuine question “I can’t have heard that correctly, Ma’am?”  Yes, Phillip refused to give Foster the title of Professor but he would use a gender-honorific to make his point that he had addressed that to  Professor Foster since … well… she was the one making things unfair.

And he couldn’t resist muttering something about ‘unfair’ under his breath – though not quite as under as he liked it to be.  Lushia had best hurry up with that information though because it was probably him.  “Probably me though.”  Phillip was prone to ear infections, after all, so he’d figured that was what it was.

So… he couldn’t have heard that right because it was unfair.  Hufflepuff, remember?

Edited by Phillip Aldermaston

Ryszard Althaus-Valerio

Incorrect.

The word had him on edge already, but he was bristling by the time Professor Foster actually addressed him. It wasn’t an answer — it only created more questions in his mind, it stirred the burning anger inside him even further, and Ryszard had been about to snap back, before other people were speaking up. It gave him the time he needed to not pull out his wand and hex the two that had already started mouthing off.

When Adrina spoke, however, Ryszard stopped completely. He hadn’t been expecting her to say that — he knew his sister noticed so much more than she ever gave voice to, and it surprised him to see her speak up then. The truth was, Ryszard himself understood far more than anyone ever gave him credit for: he knew the way words pricked and pierced, settling barbs for years to come, or even for life. Ryszard knew, because he had been carrying his father’s words on his back for the past several years; it was why he chose to use them himself.

The words he had levelled at @Jaxon Sinclair — while he didn’t know the impact they had had, Ryszard knew they hadn’t disappeared over the uneasy truce the two had somehow entered into, over Jaxon accepting his apology. He had seen his roommate watching him, considering, the expression on his face enough to let Ryszard know that it wasn’t anything pleasant.

Jaxon had broken his jaw, and @Josephine Tindall had broken his ribs, but the bones had healed and the scars had already faded; what remained behind were the words they had used to dig into his heart, past the armour and the façade he had carefully constructed to keep himself safe, and there they would stay, slowly turning him into the monster everyone always claimed he inherently was.

“How is it not a student when this person seems to know exactly who we’re all friends with?” He asked, loud enough to drown out any straggling voices. He refused to raise his hand and wait his turn like a good, little boy. “While we’re on the subject of who’s being punished, though, why is no one being punished for trying to get all the werewolves flacking expelled?” He was standing now, Adrina’s arm still holding onto his, and Ryszard looked around, suddenly, as if realising something for the first time. “And why aren’t any of the werewolves here?” He asked. “This was supposed to be an all student assembly, yeah? Or is this just another opportunity for you to talk about them behind their backs and act like you know what it’s like?” He realised he was parroting @Jacqueline Frost in his arguments, but he couldn’t bring himself to care or to back down.

Edited by Ryszard Althaus-Valerio

Phillip Aldermaston

Just bouncing off @Ryszard Althaus-Valerio - roleplay only

Phillip was rather concerned about the younger Slytherin’s words.  Weren’t snakes supposed to be cunning?  But instead, this idiot was rushing ahead like a reckless lion.   No, no, no.     But he thought it was pretty obvious what Foster meant – that wasn’t as subtle as she thought it was if his conclusions were right.

So, oh.  A staff member?  “Oy, snake! Use your brain!” And Phillip vaguely gestured to the professors at the front – because that gesture wasn’t actually meant to implicate them in particular but more to point out that the only  internal non-student options were well….staff in general.

And then Phillip scrambled to his own feet – he wasn’t going to pretend he knew what it was like. But….just because he didn’t know what it was like…didn’t mean that he didn’t have genuine concerns that he didn’t feel he could voice in front of said werewolves. 

Deep breaths.  It didn’t actually help all that much but it did settle Phillip down enough that for now, he was content to do nothing more than attempt to out-stare Ryszard of the long surname.

Edited by Phillip Aldermaston
Typo that changed the whole meaning of a sentence - fixed now

Ryan Buratsche

Question 

”....this is a tremendous waste of time if we’re not getting to the root of the issue, professors.

“But it’s important for me to mention that so far, nothing has been done to punish those who have attacked me and my girlfriend Hatty for our opinions, sometimes violently so. Because so far, only me and Hatty have gotten in trouble. @Maggie Sinclair, her boyfriend @Nox Bordelon and one of the werewolves have consistently used anti-goblin language in her presence. Are you making any kind of commitment to protect all students or is this just a commitment to protect the 11 werewolves only?”

Aggie Price

Just bouncing off Ryan Buratsche - role play only

Aggie had been listening to all that had been said so far, including @Ryan Buratsche's latest comment.  "Have you only been forming questions?  Did you not hear everything @Professor Foster listed that they're doing during the full moon time to keep us safe?" she asked the Gryffindor.  

Ryan Buratsche

ROLEPLAY ONLY

“I heard. My question is about anti-goblin bigotry and violence when people disagree, not full moon safety measures,” Ryan drawled.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.