Sign in to follow this  
Hatty Hambeldon

Galen Ward is a lesson for us all

Hatty Hambeldon

Hatty had taken to reading the Daily Prophet every morning lately. Since all of the names of the werewolf students had come out, there was always something that she felt like she had to read to make herself more knowledgeable on the subject. 

Today she was reading this op-ed by none other than Galen Ward himself. 

"Negligence?" she muttered as she read. "More like reckless disregard for the safety of others. And this is exactly my point. Any one of the werewolves we have now could also suddenly have this reckless disregard for the safety of others. How can we take that chance?" A careless mistake by a human in forgetting to take a dose of medicine did not have at all the same impact as a werewolf failing to take a dose of wolfsbane potion. 

Ryan Dorland-Nece

“How did he not take his final dose of wolfsbane?” Ryan asked, leaning over to look at the paper that Hatty was reading. “Aren’t they always telling us that all the doses are monitored? Seems like a pretty big oversight.”

Hatty Hambeldon

"This school lies when it comes to safety. I'm not surprised," Hatty replied rolling her eyes. "Though this was awhile ago so I'm not sure if they monitored as closely back then. But he could have easily faked it -- what if he used a vanishing charm to make it look like all the potion had been dranken or something?" 

Damien Belizaire

The second the words negligence and werewolves were uttered and somehow made it all the way to the Hufflepuff table, Damien knew it was the perfect opportunity to promote his upcoming fashion line. He approached the Gryffindor duo prepared to show off some of the sample pieces of the Ryker Yeet collection collection he'd spent the break designing inspired by the attacks of November 08, but the serious topic at hand was too much and not something that could be ignored. 

"Are you implying that our resident Healer @Miss Lushia is as incompetent as the healer in place when Galen Ward was a student that she would overlook something as important as werewolves taking their wolfsbane?!?!?!" 

Honestly Damien didn't care, he just wanted people to buy his wolf-inspired clothes once they hit the market but Miss Lushia was hella nice to look at and well 10s had to defend other 10s from blasphemous words spoken by 2s maybe 3.5s.

Ryan Dorland-Nece

Ryan grumbled. “You’re right about that. Remember that Death Eater attack? It’s like everyone forgot that happened. They probably just want us all to blindly accept that everything’s ‘fine’ now.”

He narrowed his eyes at @Damien Belizaire. “What the hell do you want, Damien? Don’t you have to go help @Delia Halliwell-Midnight organize her purse collection or something?”

Damien Belizaire

"Well I was going to interest you in some of my statement pieces of my upcoming collection and seeing as how the two of you have branded yourselves as the anti-werewolf president" Damien turned to Ryan, "And well... not really sure what they're calling you." The last part was meant for @Hatty Hambeldon, and he shook his head, and mumbled on something about how it must be a shame to not be fully human in times like these. 

Maybe goblin would be his theme for Spring/Summer 2043

"You already hate werewolves might as well show the world just how much you do by also wearing wolf." Shrugging he rolled his eyes. "Come on, the two of you have been running your mouths so much I was starting to think you both got hit by a permanent babbling curse. Don't you ever get tired of listening to the sounds of your voices?" 

Edited by Damien Belizaire

Hatty Hambeldon

"She has ten more charges to look after. Of course she could overlook something," Hatty snapped @Damien Belizaire. "And maybe the reason we're spouting our mouth off so much is that we have not been given a platform to be heard. To express our views. Every time we say something the staff at this school claims we're being bigoted and shuts us down." 

Damien Belizaire

"Woe is you," Damien deadpanned. 

"Well my dad's a politician... muggle type but a sort of pureblood with influence and I mean... if you wanted the platform... I'm sure something can be arranged." 

Edited by Damien Belizaire

Ryan Dorland-Nece

“I’m surprised you’ve been able to talk this long,” Ryan deadpanned. “Doesn’t Delia own your brain or something?” 

Hatty made perfect sense—there was something being overlooked, he could feel it. 

“And what are you trying to do, even—profit off of the bloody attacks by selling hideous clothing? At least we give a damn about this school. Doesn’t seem like anyone else does.” Save for @Behati Gadot, really.

Damien Belizaire

"Delia owns my heart. Big difference," Damien rolled his eyes but he wasn't here to talk about Delia. If he wanted to talk about Delia he would have been talking to her instead. 

"First of all, if you want to talk about hideous things did you even look at yourself in the mirror this morning or are they banned in the Gryffindor common room?" It wouldn't have surprised him with Hatty as a student sorted there, it was probably considered cruel and unusual punishment to expose her to her reflection. "Second, Do either of you truly care for this school? What has this institution — hell society — given both of you that you feel as if you owe it to keep it safe? Aren't goblins treated by others as something a step above house elf? Are either of you really seeking good or just seeking attention?" 

Shots fired. 

Hatty Hambeldon

"That might be useful," Hatty said whispering in Ryan's ear and nudging him a bit in the shoulder. "A platform where we could voice our opinions and views might be good, no?" She was about to address Damien and ask whether he was serious about his offer when she heard Ryan first and then Damien's response. 

"How dare you," she seethed, her pointed ears sticking straight up as they also colored red with fury. "We haven't done anything to you first of all. We're just having a conversation about a political issue. Second, wizards treat goblins that way. You treat us like second class citizens. You're the one seeking attention with selling all of your clothes." 

Ryan Dorland-Nece

Ryan immediately stood up, pressing his hands against the table, barely containing himself from launching a punch at Damien. “You want to keep your bloody mouth shut, yeah? Or I will punch those ugly words right out of them.”

Damien Belizaire

"I'm attention-seeking sue me, but at least I can admit it. Everything I do has an ulterior motive, it either gets me something or it benefits someone I'm close to but I can admit that." 

It was almost comical how they were both so quick to be at his throat, when they were the ones who ran their mouths about how it was werewolves who posed a danger to this school. A werewolf had yet to threaten to punch him in the face, and yet here was a human doing just that. Typical. 

"Chill," he softly laughed. "I was just asking questions. It's not wrong to want attention, most politicians do. Nobody does anything because they truly care for the greater good they either do it for money or for power. You wouldn't be the first to want to have your voices heard to feel important and you certainly won't be the last." 

Kay Wickham

Galen Ward was different than how she'd imagined. As Kay pored over the letter he'd submitted, she wondered how he'd felt writing it—asking people to leave his sister out of their arguments, having to talk about what he'd done to her all over again.

--And he'd done something awful to her. By accident, but still.

Kay wasn't sure what to feel about him, but she did think he was very brave for speaking up at all. If she were in his place, she wouldn't know what to feel about herself after something like that, either, but she hoped she would at least have the guts he did.

Some of her housemates sounded less impressed. Namely, @Ryan Buratsche and @Hatty Hambeldon, who along with Behati had become the voices of the few and fearful. Kay didn't know what to feel about them, either. What did she know nowadays? Only that she wished everyone could just get along so they could get back to punching for fun together instead of the sad angry flailing happening in the halls lately.

The Gryffindor stuck a croissant halfway into her mouth before she started chewing, breathing deep through her nose so she wouldn't choke and pass out. A boy she didn't recognize--partly because this school was bigger than her old neighborhood and partly because he was like a fashion model probably??--was giving the two dissenters the ol' what-for, and their verbal sparring was getting pretty animated.

When Ryan stood up, looking as if he were about to leap over the table and strangle the other boy wrestlemania-style, Kay also stood up with a quarter-croissant stuck in her mouth. Cramming it the rest of the way in, she strode her thirteen-year-old master weapon of a body towards the small group and placed herself in the midst of it all, eyes blazing and fists stained with pain au chocolat.

She swallowed the rest of her food down, loud and animated, before she announced, “Pardon! I couldn't help but overhear, because I was over there listening to you.” Here she gestured to the side to be clear and helpful. “If you guys are so worried about how we get our wolfsbane doses, you should come to my appointments next time!”

This way, Kay thought, maybe they could see first-hand how all the checks and balances work and feel better about it all. Her grin was broad, her eyes were hopeful, and her teeth had chocolate on them. Surely this would go better than that time she'd said she would protect the school and then Ryan told her to quit it instead. DEFINITELY.

Counting on her fingers, she showed them how long was left before she took her next dose. “If you see what the process is like, maybe you'll feel a bit safer. And I don't even throw up anymore even though it tastes real gross, so you won't have to worry about any vom.”

Hatty Hambeldon

“Neither, I just want security,” she replied shooting Damien a look. “I honestly could not care about money or power.” She had never had either one and that was not her motivation now. Security at all costs. That had always been her - and her dad’s position about Hogwarts since Day One. Lack of security was why they had almost pulled her out of Hogwarts after her first year and why they had decided to send Heidi elsewhere. 

Hatty then shot @Ryan Buratsche a look as Kay spoke about seeing her take the wolfsbane. “Uh, yeah, no thanks. I mean I’ve heard it’s not pleasant. But that’s not really the problem.” People taking their wolfsbane wasn’t the problem. It was the people who didn’t take wolfsbane - like Galen Ward - that was the problem. And the more they had to take the stuff that she had heard was retched and awful, the less Iikely it seemed to her, that they would want to continue to take it. 

Wasn’t that exactly what had happened to Galen? One day he had probably decided that he had enough and then his own feelings had gotten in the way that he had not been thinking about the safety of others when he decided not to take it. He only wanted to feel good and Hatty couldn’t blame him for that. 

But that couldn’t happen when there were hundreds of other students around the hallways, all who could be bitten. 

And that was the reason Hatty had taken the position she had In all of this even as almost no one wanted to hear her out or support her and Ryan and Behati in their beliefs. But they couldn’t be the only ones who felt like this. There were too many ways that things could go wrong and there were now many more werewolves who could make a bad choice. They also couldn’t be sure that something wouldn’t happen one time. 

What if someone for example, exchanged out the potion for a different one, one time? It could happen. Hogwarts had been known for letting things slip through without knowing what they were. 

Kay Wickham

“Uh, yeah, no thanks. I mean I’ve heard it’s not pleasant. But that’s not really the problem.”

"Oh," Kay responded, thrown off by this turn of events. "I thought..." Again, she wasn't sure what she'd thought. Nothing about what was happening at school lately had been predictable to her.

"Well, you could see the whole process that way," she tried, attempting to explain the train of thought that was rapidly derailing into Doubtville. "Like how they make sure it's the right stuff, and that we drink all of it--and maybe you'd feel a bit better if you could see how they make sure, or if you have suggestions to make it safer or something..." Kay trailed off, chewing on her lip and tugging on her braids, an awkward picture of uncertainty, until finally she shrugged. "Offer's there if you wanna, you can just lemme know. I'm sure you're watching the moon like most of us lately, so anytime the week before it's full you can just come along with me."

The Gryffindor paused again, then grinned. "Just me, though. It'd hurt the other kids' feelings if you asked to watch, I think--but I don't mind. We should be working together."

With that said, she threw two thumbs ups, and started to back away. "Alright, I'm gunna bounce, das all I got for now, seeyuuhhhhh," she finished off, shuffling into the distance with a bright smile and an abundance of enthusiasm."Be good to each other, bye!"

NAILED IT.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.