Jacqueline Frost

*X-Files theme plays in the background*

Jacqueline Frost

There was unfinished business from Astronomy class that Jack wasn't planning on letting go and the next morning she was determined on proving her point. Aliens were real and Jack Sinclair and Ryszard were wrong about life and everything that had to do with the universe. Leave it to Jaxon Sinclair to revert back time to a time where Jack (Frost) needed to out-do him, to prove that she was in the right and he wasn't, except this time she wasn't doing it to be malicious.

She just needed to put them back in the right direction. 

"Jack, Ryszard. Hi," she greeted, an innocent grin on her face as she took a seat across from them. There were at least three different questions that she had regarding why they weren't at each other's throats but those would wait for when she could pry into Ry's life in private and for when she wasn't trying to educate them in all things UFOs. "We need to talk."

Cue Jack slamming a folder open to reveal numerous reports of UFO sightings, alien abductions and not-so-secret government files revealing the truth about Extraterrestrials. 

"Aliens are real: read and weep." 

Edited by Jacqueline Frost

Jaxon Sinclair

Jack looked down at the books and then directly at her.

He pushed the books off the table.

"No."

Ryszard Althaus-Valerio

”I mean, he’s right,” Ryszard said, pointing at the books that were now on the floor. “Aliens aren’t real, Jack,” he added, leaning forward and whispering conspiratorially.

The Jack who was sitting in front of him; not the one who was sitting right beside him for some reason. Ryszard’s life was weird.

Jacqueline Frost

Of course the duo of non-believers that brought dishonor to themselves, their cow, and the aliens lost to Area 51 experiments refused to change their point of view without bothering to hear out her scientific data. This was different than the discussion in Astronomy where she used her vast knowledge of muggle sci-fi to make a point — she had actual evidence. 

"We live in a world of vampires, werewolves, trolls and witches and you two seriously have the nerve to believe that there is no intelligent life outside of this planet? Okay maybe that wasn't the proper term to use... there's barely intelligent life in this school but seriously!?" Jack pushed a book on Rendlesham Forest in their direction. "This was actually written by a former British officer in the Ministry of Defence. Why would they lie?!" 

Jaxon Sinclair

"Seriously?" Jack snorted.  "Because he works for the government.  Governments are the seeping wounds of human society.  They lie, they corrupt, they steal, they murder."

He arched an eyebrow.  Surely, he shouldn't have to explain to a fellow werewolf why someone who worked within a government structure was a flaming, lying, bubonic rash.

He propped his head up.  "But you really want to know why I don't believe?  I'll tell you."  He took a breath.  "Because if I were a being intelligent enough to have developed safe interstellar travel, I would take one look at this toxic wasteland we've turned our planet into and the horrific atrocities that Earth's intelligent life has propagated against itself and I would get my biggest laser canon and blast this sodding rock out of the sky because human beings are a plague.  So I don't believe in them because we're still alive."

Ryszard Althaus-Valerio

”Didn’t we already cover this in the Astronomy lesson?” He asked, arching an eyebrow. Ryszard couldn’t believe they were having this conversation. Jack was smarter than this, and he knew it. “If our government can lie, then why can’t theirs?” He snorted, moving his pumpkin juice away so it wouldn’t be knocked over by one of the books.

He turned to look at Jaxon as he spoke, and really, there wasn’t much else to say. It was the exact same conversation the two had had in Fjord’s presence, except the two of them had been in agreement. “If aliens did exist,” he tacked on. “Things wouldn’t have got this bad. They would have eviscerated us by now.”

Ryszard (wisely) didn’t add that he was the only human being in the conversation.

Jacqueline Frost

"Okay I'm not going to deny that our government belongs in a trash compactor to get eaten by a Dianoga and blown up with the Death Star BUT..." Jack attempted to reason with both Jack and Ryszard, "he retired and exposed the truth to the people." 

Sinclair also made a point about how the human species was turning the world into a toxic wasteland but that wasn't what they were arguing here. Existential crises and discussions on the meaning of life or the purpose of humans on the planet were meant for a different time and typically didn't involve Sinclair as much as they involved Ryszard, his feelings, and an occasional Furby exoskeleton to keep him in check. 

"That's a morbid way to describe the Fermi Paradox, Jack, but to that I say simple: Zoo Hypothesis."

Cue another book by renowned scientists NOT government workers. 

"UFO sightings are a result of aliens visiting us like how we go to a zoo and observe wild animals from a distance. We know they're wild and dangerous so we don't exactly go and chill in their cages. But you know from a distance and a thick, unbreakable, glass wall.... a lion is suddenly not so bad." 

Jaxon Sinclair

"The Fermi paradox has nothing to do with human beings as toxic waste producing monkeys with anxiety," Jack deadpanned.  "It argues that, given the sheer number of stars in the universe and the number of planets in the goldilocks zone around those stars, it's highly probably that there is intelligent life if the circumstances that gave Earth life are typical.  On that line of reasoning, we should have met aliens by now, but we haven't."  He plucked up a candy from a bowl on the table and popped it into his mouth.  "I don't think the circumstances of Earth are typical."

He shrugged then.  "If one lion turns on the rest and starts slaughtering them indiscriminately, the zookeeper puts that lion down," he argued, casting a glance at Ryszard like he really couldn't believe this was something he had to argue.  "So why wasn't Europe obliterated by a Death Star when the Crusades happened?  Why didn't the population of Salem mysteriously disappear after the witch trials?  Why is the United States still celebrating Columbus Day?"

Right.  Because people were just horrible on their own.  No aliens necessary.

"Moreover, if the animals trash the zoo, the zookeeper cleans it.  You gonna explain that to the walruses that have no polar ice caps anymore?"

Ryszard Althaus-Valerio

Ryszard stared open-mouthed at Jack. “What truth? It’s not real.” He crossed his arms. “You know how we literally have Howlers coming in with random rumours that are rarely ever true but people believe them?” He ground out, eyes flickering over the memory of how his life had been ruined on such a story. “It’s not that difficult to do the same thing as a book, especially when so many people are so desperate to believe there’s something up there in the skies besides us.”

“Earth’s circumstances happened by chance,” he added, as Jaxon glanced at him, then he looked over at the Hufflepuff. “UFO sightings have never been proven to be actual UFOs — more rumours.” This conversation had started without much sense in it, and Ryszard watched as it plummeted straight to the ground.

Oh no, the walruses. :( It wasn’t typical for Ryszard to empathise with living things, but he was sad. “Yeah, if aliens exist, why won’t they fix things instead of just observing? That doesn’t seem very intelligent to me.”

Adrina Althaus-Valerio

"Maybe they have their own problems to fix?" Adrina had been her the whole time.   Sure she had, obviously far too involved in the cupcake she'd been dissecting and popping pieces of into her mouth to get involved into the conversation right then because she didn't know what the death star was, nor did she really care.  

The happiest moment of the day so far was merely the fact that Ryszard and Jack and Jack were all sitting at the same table really and not tearing each other's throats out and she sat across from @Jaxon Sinclair, with one foot tucked under her knee and her other foot dangling under the table as they argued on and on about the possibility of aliens.   

She could be swayed either way really, but since she lived with @Jacqueline Frost most of the year anymore, she'd heard more on the opinions of their existence and when the opportunity presented itself the hufflepuff idly looked up and interjected her thoughts.  "We have plenty of problems of our own, no?  Maybe they do too."  

Maybe, just  maybe, there were were-aliens fighting to keep their spaceships from non were-aliens and overflowing alien prisons.  She wasn't an alien so she couldn't elaborate. she merely shrugged and glanced at each of them in turn before turning back to her cupcake crumbs.     

Edited by Adrina Althaus-Valerio

Jacqueline Frost

"You're not real," Jack childishly countered and she reached for her backpack to retrieve one (of many) book on alien abductions when Ryszard tried comparing howlers to news about aliens. "Okay, I get what you're trying to get at but literally every single howler this year has been true," Jack shrugged. "Jack and Mal snogged in Hogsmeade, — sorry Addy —" Addy had definitely been there the whole time. "The two of you aren't at each other's throats, and you snogged Mal too. So really, you're only confirming that I'm right and you are wrong." 

Debating with Ryszard was one thing, something that surprisingly turned out to be fun but debating Sinclair was another thing altogether. In its own category, incomparable to anything else Jack had done in her life. Jaxon Sinclair was a walking encycopledia of useless trivia and facts and were it not for the circumstances (read: he was using this information against her solid pro-alien platform), she would have been extremely impressed. Actually, Jack was impressed, which only frustrated her more. 

Godflacking Sinclair. 

"Why are we jumping on the assumption that if there were aliens out there they have to be our protectors?" Jack queried. "What if Aliens are a future life form of us? I mean humans are garbage, you can't expect the species to stop being selfish flackers just because they're on a different planet."

And when the Walruses were brought up, she sighed exasperatedly and frowned. "That was uncalled for, Jack. It's okay Ryszard, there are more walruses," Jack tried to sympathize, reaching over to give his hand a gentle squeeze before returning to scavenge her backpack for some photographic evidence. 

And then Addy talked. 

"And this is why Addy is the best roommate." 

Jaxon Sinclair

"One of those rumors also said that Ryszard and I share a bed and shower together," Jack deadpanned.  "Categorically untrue and I'm the one that can't tie a Windsor knot.  I have no idea if he can."  He rolled his eyes.  That stupid rumor mill of Xenia's was the source of all of Ryszard's problems right now and, as a result, Jack was harboring a secret that not even Adrina knew about.  It was a secret he absolutely intended to take to his grave as well.  "And on that note, I'd prefer we didn't talk about Xenia's dumpster fire of a gossip rag."  Could it even be called that?  It wasn't a paper or a magazine.  Just Howlers.

Whatever.  He was going with it.

Jack (Frost) was right about one thing and one thing alone in this entire argument:  Jaxon Avery Sinclair was, in fact, a walking encyclopedia of useless information and he did not go into an argument without evidence and date to back up his opinions.  If he'd never bothered to research extraterrestrials, he wouldn't have had a strong opinion on them either way.

She'd dug herself into this pit, in his opinion.  She could try to dig herself out.

Jack cleared his throat, leaned forward, and swiped some icing off of Addy's cupcake with an index finger which he then stuck into his mouth before he popped it free to speak.  "The definition of the word 'alien' varies," he began.  "Typically, it means 'a person belonging to a foreign country or nation' but it can also mean 'a hypothetical, or fictional being, from another world.'  If aliens are future forms of humans come back to visit us after all the walruses are dead, then they are not aliens.  They're still humans.  We don't call neanderthal an alien.  We call it early man.  They would likely do the same to us.  So again, your argument is invalid.  Next please."

Oh right.  Walruses.  "Being uncalled for is how Ryszard and I show that we don't hate each other anymore.  Cuts down on broken bones."

Ryszard Althaus-Valerio

”I know you’re not, but what am I?” He said in a childish tone, and pointing a finger at Jaxon in agreement. “He’s right. We haven’t even snogged yet,” he shrugged. “I need a snog before I choose to share my shower and bed.” It was true. “I can’t tie one, either,” he added, in reply to Jaxon’s comment about the Windsor. It was an excuse to direct their attention away from the rumour mill: Ryszard didn’t want the truth slipping out, especially not when his sister was sitting right there.

It made it harder to breathe, at times.

”If they have time to observe us, I doubt they have many problems,” he snorted. This was the first time in a while that Ryszard had directly addressed his sister outside of duels, and it was disconcerting. He was pretty sure he’d had more conversations with Jaxon than with her.

He had been about to respond to Jack’s next argument, but at that moment, his roommate decided to make an obscene display of swiping icing off a cupcake with his finger and then sticking said finger in his mouth. Ryszard felt the breath shrivel up in his throat as he stared. He was perfectly aware that this was a more public setting than the dormitories or the duelling chamber, but he couldn’t help the weird feeling that had suddenly appeared in his stomach.

His gaze finally came unstuck when Jack mentioned walruses again, and he turned around to look at her. Hopefully, if he had turned red, she would chalk it up to nothing else but animal blues.

”Who said we don’t hate each other anymore?” Ryszard said, going for casual, pulling at a pumpkin pie and stuffing his face. Classy move, Ryszard.

Adrina Althaus-Valerio

Maybe, just maybe Adrina might have huffed out an annoyed breath at the not so sincere apology given to her by her roommate at the truth she so delicately delivered.  However, not all the rumors of were true so she reluctantly bobbed her head in agreement as she chewed and allowed the conversation to continue around her until Jaxon reached leaned in front of her with only one self-satisfying purpose. 

"Hey! That's my frosting..."  The Hufflepuff pouted, mostly for show and definitely dramatic.  Adrina Althaus-Valerio had never been all to good at sharing.  "I should charge you for that."  She'd be flexible on the terms of currency of course.  

Her protests went nearly unheard, the three of them too caught up in their star wars to hear her out and she rolled her eyes. Alll in all she was used to playing mediator in epic showdowns, especially when her brother was involved.  Usually it was her parents on the other side though not a small blonde girl with a penchant for violent outbursts and he didn't usually hav someone else in his corner.  This was new territory.  

Not it to mention it became even more of a situation when she noted a joke he slipped in about snagging her boyfriend.  Oh he most certainly earned A Look™.  Addy paused with another piece of cake part way to her mouth and arched an eyebrow in her twins direction.  Spanish slipped easily from her tongue as she leaned forward and caught his eye to deliver a warning.  

"I love you but, a gryffindor won't always be around to save you RyRy." 

And the cupcake bite was chomped as she leaned back in her seat and smiled sweetly at Jacqueline.  "You really mean that?" She asked' dark eyes lighting up at the praise she took quite literal.  "You're pretty great too."  Because lately, she had been. 

Jacqueline Frost

Jack noticed Ryszard's staring and if Addy hadn't been there she would have made at least seven different comments about how they should get a room and get over the tension but with her roommate there, well the only thing she could do was snap Ry back to reality before his sister murdered him, her boyfriend, and Jack for covering up for Ryszard.

"Earth to Ryszard..." Jack muttered, fixing him a look, and she gently kicked him under the table (or who she hoped was Ryszard there was a 60% chance it might have been Sinclair instead) to get his attention again.

First there were aliens... then there were low key displays of affection between Sinclair and Addy... add Ryszard's current life crisis over crushing on his sister's boyfriend plus the shameless comment about the snogs that had yet to happen, and it was the perfect recipe for disaster or in this case, the perfect cue to leave. 

"I will prove to you that aliens are real, Jaxon Sinclair. JUST YOU WAIT!" 

Jack shoved everything back into her backpack, determined on getting back to the common room and figuring out how to find aliens while she was stuck at hogwarts to prove to Sinclair and the rest of the non-believers that they weren't alone in the universe. First, however, she had to deal with the Ryszard Problem™ and when she had her things put away she made her way over to pull him from the back of his robes. "You're coming with me so they can have some privacy and eat their cupcake together or snog or whatever. Here..." she turned to grab a cup of pumpkin juice. "Drink this. Quench the thirst." 

As for Addy's comment, she simply flashed her a grin and added, "Yep a hundred percent." 

For now.

Edited by Jacqueline Frost

Jaxon Sinclair

"I'll make it up to you later," Jack quipped, eyeing Addy across the table and grinning at the mention of charging him for it.  Honestly, he wouldn't mind paying whatever she thought up provided it included snogging and not more unicorn onesies.  "Besides, sharing is caring, Adrina."  That, however, was almost laughable, because even Jack knew that Addy didn't share well.  Spin-the-bottle had been a game and she'd still gotten incredibly angry over it and then there had been that little flare of jealousy when he'd mentioned sharing his 'werewolf cell' with @Pandora Midnight...though he hadn't mentioned her by name.

He wondered if that would have made it worse.  

Jack did not miss the staring.  In fact, he was very, very aware of it and he arched an eyebrow accordingly.  That look became even more pronounced when Ryszard started talking about how he'd have to snog him to decide on sharing those things first.  He probably shouldn't have goaded him on, but he shrugged anyway.

"You're the one staring and talking about snogging.  You tell me who decided we don't hate each other anymore," he responded quickly, snorting when Jacqueline got to her feet, loudly proclaiming that she was going to convince him someday, stuffing her things in her pocket.

Jack rolled his eyes.  "Sure, don't forget your tinfoil hat, Frost," he called after her as she dragged Ryszard away.  He was fairly certain he heard her tell him to 'quench his thirst' as well.  Shame.  "I look forward to your theories on what's below the Denver Airport, the Illuminati, and how Jay-Z is a lizard man the next time we talk."

Then he stole more frosting.  Why not?

Ryszard Althaus-Valerio

The kick under the table was what brought Ryszard back, as he visibly flinched, and looked over at Jack with an annoyed expression on his face. He had been a lot happier when left to his own devices where he could simply choose to stare at his roommate and not think. The white noise in his brain always died down when Jaxon was around — who would blame him for liking that?

He had completely missed his sister’s words, so he was unaware that she was upset with him over the snogging comment. Instead, he turned to look back at Jaxon...who was already looking at him. “I talk about snogging all the time,” he replied. “Maybe we should try it sometimes and see if we still hate each other after it.”

Yeah, he was going to die.

It was just as well that Jack decided to drag him away then, after he refused to drink the pumpkin juice she offered. “That’s not enough to quench it,” he hissed at her, but there wasn’t really a reason to whisper or talk in a low voice. They had moved away from the couple that had been sitting next to them, and Ryszard was sure Jack would give him the third degree on his Feelings™️ again.

Edited by Ryszard Althaus-Valerio

Adrina Althaus-Valerio

Later?  

No.  Later wasn't going to work for her in the grand scheme of things and Addy glanced down the long length of the table in one direction and then in the other.  Getting up and walking around it wasn't really the option she wanted to take either.   Her mother would already have a howler prepared and sent in a matter of seconds if she even seriously considered climbing over the bloody thing and so there was really only one thing for Adrina Althaus-Valerio to do.   

And that was probably the only thing that saved @Ryszard Althaus-Valerio for not being hexed on the spot for the words that came out of his mouth next because Addy didn't hear them as she slid under the table and popped up on the other side next to @Jaxon Sinclair just in time to see him swiping another finger full of frosting off the cupcake she'd left behind.   

'Oh well.' Clearly she was done with it.   

"You'll make it up to me now if you want any hope of me tuning out @Jacqueline Frost later when she starts showing me all her proof she keeps stacked on her desk." The hufflepuff slid her fingers in between his and squeezed, completely oblivious to Jack and her brother's retreat.  She might have wanted to question the whole tinfoil hat thing but it wasn't going to distract her now.   

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.