Margarleon Turpentine

You know what they say, the wicked get no rest

Margarleon Turpentine

Leon did not even try to follow the stringent rules put upon them by Headmistress McGonagall. He hadn’t from night one, and he wasn’t about to start now. The boy had rebelliously ignored them from the get-go, foregoing the corridor buddy rule entirely, except when he and Darby walked to classes or meals together. In other words, he saw no point in changing his regular routine just because McGonagall thought having a buddy would save you from getting mauled if there were another werewolf attack.

He still maintained that was just a good way to ensure the werewolf (or whatever monster it may be) had dinner and dessert. He didn’t really think much about werewolves themselves or all the underlying moral issues that seemed to accompany the subject of them, not being too politically in touch with all the ripples the attacks had started.

One rule he was forced to obey, in a way, was no dueling after dinner. Since McGonagall had all but ordered them to go to bed straight after dinner, the dueling chamber no longer was open after dinner concluded. Which meant he needed to find alternate methods for getting his spell practice in, which had sparked an idea. Purposefully moving to the Gryffindor table as dinner wrapped up, Leon found his target.

“Verity,” Leon greeted without preamble as he approached the girl. Lowering his voice, he added, “Remember that idea we had about spell practice? You still in?” He had scoped out a nearby unused classroom if so, and he intended to lead Verity straight there if she was still game.

Verity Doran

Verity wasn’t a fan of the regular Hogwarts rules that, like, restricted her movements and stuff, so it was zero surprise whatsoever that she was having some major issues with McGonagall’s newer, stricter ‘safety measures.’  The ones that banned students from doing anything before breakfast and after dinner were the worst by far.  How the heck was she supposed to get anything done when she had to spend half her time cooped up in the common room??

At least her werewolf rights stuff was easy enough to relocate.  Don’t get her wrong, it would’ve been tons easier to set up shop in the library, but lugging around a couple of extra books wasn’t the worst thing in the world.  Nah, the worst thing by far was losing precious hours worth of dueling time cause you couldn’t uproot the whole chamber and take it with ya like it was a treatise on the shortcomings of wolfsbane or a pack of badge-making materials.

So when Leon stopped by the Gryffindor table to ask if she was still up for some spell practice, Verity legit leapt at the offer.  Seriously, she got to her feet so quickly she almost upended a whole pitcher of pumpkin juice.  “‘Course I’m in,” she said, scooping up her half-finished brownie and slinging her rucksack over her shoulder, “Best idea I heard all day.”

After throwing a few quick waves and ‘later’s to her housemates, Verity turned to follow Leon out of the Great Hall.  “Got a spot in mind?” She asked, “We can say we’re on a last-second library run if we bump into anybody.  I’ve got, like, five books on me.  Oughta be good cover.”

Margarleon Turpentine

Leon did not expect such an immediate reaction from Verity, who practically sprung to her feet as if his suggestion had put a livewire through her. It was good, though, it meant his impression of her from earlier in the year was correct: she was a bit of a rebel just like himself. The lack of hesitation to break a rule was definitely another plus in Verity’s favor, if you asked Leon.

“Cool,” Leon responded, grinning at Verity’s eagerness to join, and let out a snicker at her suggested cover story. “I dunno if anyone will believe I’m making a library run, but sure. That works. I guess I could be your buddy for your library run,” Leon agreed, though the idea of trying to keep a straight face as he explained he was going to the library was kind of laughable. Leon was many things, but bookish was not one of them.

“But, yeah, there’s an unused classroom on the first floor. It’s small, but it’ll work, and it’s the closest one I could find,” Leon explained, climbing up the main staircase without delay. Thankfully, they actually made it up to the first floor - and to the classroom - without being caught. “See? Castle’s full of these unused rooms,” It was actually kind of jarring to him, the sheer amount of available, unused space in the castle. He was still adjusting to such big areas.

“Anyway, we can probably move some stuff out of the way so we have more room to move. What spells are you thinkin’ of practicing?” Leon queried curiously as he moved a desk and a few chairs up against the far side of the room, then turned to look at Verity inquisitively.  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.