Rían O' Donnell

I love the world, I just don't love the way it makes me feel

Rían O' Donnell

Post attacks Rían had been trying to come outside a little more. Trying to carpe diem and seize the day and whatever else to try get fit and healthy. Physically and mentally fixing up his well being.

But still, he stared at the edge of the forest warily. 

He had come out here to walk around the lake, as he usually tried to make himself to do. But it was hard to be positive and upbeat when it was the middle of December in Scotland and so bloody cold. Even after swigging some pepper up potion he shivered as he blasted a patch of grass with a shield charm, trying to make a layer between his cold bottom and the icy dew covered grass. It just about worked. 

Plonking himself down he pulled his headphones down to sit on his neck instead of his ears. Pulling them off of his ears had broken the seal and stopped them being silent to the world outside of them. As they dangled around his neck now Rían could hear his music easily. Just loud enough. Sighing with contentment he stared out towards the lake, trying to distract himself. 

Aiden Hunter

It had been a while since Aiden had talked to anyone. Not literally of course, he it’s not like he hadn’t interacted with anyone after the attacks. It had been a while since he really talked to someone, sat down, had a conversation, and not just offered passing comments.

It was almost like he still didn’t know how he felt. It was almost like he felt nothing at all. At times, it felt like the attacks were a dream, like they never happened at all. These thoughts would immediately be dispelled whenever he saw his face. Three deep scars were now etched into his face from where he was slashed.

Whatever, it didn’t matter.

Aiden had always liked when it got cold. He liked the feeling of bundling up in a bunch of clothes to brave the cold weather and the relief that you got when you stepped back inside and felt warm again. Most of all he just liked the snow. He also liked the lakefront. He found that it was a nice area, better than the noisiness of the castle and even though there were others usually out by the lakefront they were spread far and thin.

His face dropped, and he frowned when he reached his usual spot. It seemed like it was already occupied. He recognized it as one of the boys from his year. A Ravenclaw, usually quiet, and easy to miss despite his height.

Aiden shrugged, he was never a timid kid and someone sitting there wasn’t going to stop him. “Hey” he called out right before he plopped down close, but not too close, next to the boy. "This is the best spot on the whole lakefront you know?"

Rían O' Donnell

Some movement on the surface of the Black Lake had held his attention for quite a while now. Maybe it was the infamous giant squid. Or some Merpeople than he had heard resided in the lake. Making a mental note to read about them some more later on, he blinked slowly, trying to redirect his attention. 

He'd been staring again and he was trying to do that a little bit less. 

As he diverted his gaze he trailed his gaze around the lakes edge. There was some students out and around the grounds, scattered. Some were laughing and having fun. Some more quiet and contemplative like him. Tilting his head to the side he wondered how they were taking it all in their stride. 

He didn't have long to think it over before someone had joined him. And then he really couldn't stop staring. His face neutral as ever, his eyes fixed on Aiden's face. He had seen him in lessons, but hadn't really had the chance to look at the scars on his face up close as he was now. He didn't say anything, not at first. He just stared. 

After a few minutes he eventually nodded in acknowledgement. "Aye. It's not a bad ould spot." His tone was quiet and low as always. Once he realised he was staring he forced himself to look back out at the lake, now wondering if Aiden was one of the students that @Ryszard Althaus-Valerio and Jack spoke about being turned. 

Aiden Hunter

Aiden considered himself a pretty perceptive guy, but it didn’t take a genius to know that Rían was staring pretty intently at his face. Not that Aiden blamed him or anything. I mean, it wasn’t every day that someone with four gnarly scars painted into their face sat down next to you. They just served as a permanent reminder of his mortality. Which assuredly, Aiden had taken plenty more notice of since then.

But, it wasn’t even like this was his first brush with death at Hogwarts. He thought back to first year when he was dragged underwater by those grindylows only to be pulled out by the resident head girl at the time. But overall, he didn’t mind being studied like a lot of other people would. It’s just something that he would have to live with.

“Yeah, it’s nice.” He sat for a few seconds in silence. “The scars are pretty nasty right?” He managed to shoot out a smile. “My mom told me that they “Make my face a little extra special” whatever that means.” He didn’t know if it was supposed to make him feel better or anything but whatever.

He spoke up again in almost a cheery voice that was still clearly sarcastic, “It’s cool though, because the pain from my face made it so I couldn’t feel my legs breaking.”  Immediately, he realized that maybe that wasn’t a super appropriate thing to say but he hoped that Rían would appreciate a little dark humor.

He decided to shift to something a little bit lighter. He pointed out to the lake at one of his favorite places. “Over there is where the giant squid likes to surface. I uh, fed it once in first year. But uh, then I kinda fell in the lake and dragged under by grindylows.” He shook his head and talked quietly, “Nasty little wankers.”

Rían O' Donnell

Rían had been staring. When confronted with it he couldn't deny it. After a moment he simply nodded, continuing to look out at the lake. "They are." After giving Aiden another sideways glance he nodded again. He did slightly smirk and Aiden's crass sense of humour "Still...must have hurt a fair bit.."

But then Aiden went on to change the subject. Back to the lake. 

Quietly he chuckled "I think that's what they're meant to be really. There's other things deep in the lake though." Shuddering her shook his head. "Seem really terrible things deep deep down. I wonder how deep it is.." Pondering he glanced to Aiden again, newly shocked every time his eyes caught his scars. But he didn't let it show, he tried not to anyway. 

Aiden Hunter

Aiden just sat staring at the lake while Rían stared at him. It was really no big deal. He was sure that if the shoe was on the other foot he would be the one staring. Maybe not so hard though. He smiled at Rían’s honesty. He knew they were gnarly, he didn’t need anyone lying to him trying to make him feel better telling him, “they weren’t that bad”. He hated that crap.

Did it hurt? He didn’t really know. “It all happened so fast. I mean I guess it hurt but it all just happened so fast. It felt like burning I guess.”

Aiden squinted down at the lake almost trying to see to the bottom. He knew it was a pointless endeavor, but he figured that it was worth a try. “Well, if there’s anything nastier than those grindylows in there I don’t wanna know.” They really were the nastiest little creatures. He was glad that he had kicked one in the face. He hoped that it hurt.

He felt Rían’s gaze on his face again. Still, he didn’t mind. “You really like to stare huh? I don’t mind. I get it.” He shrugged, “Could always have it worse I guess. I could be one of those wolves.”

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.