Sign in to follow this  
Francis Barnes II

The Creative Crew

Francis Barnes II

Francis had a dream. A dream to give Hogwarts the face-lift it so desperately deserved. No longer would the walls be dreary, lifeless, and grey. From this day forward, every brick and stone would be covered floor to ceiling in epic murals full of vibrant colours and grandiose imagery! All he needed was a wall--NO! The perfect wall to bring his life-long goal to fruition.

And he’d found it. Oh boy, had he found it.

It was large, unmarked and unblemished. Virtually pristine in that it showed no signs of weather-worn wear and tear. Being on the outside of the castle, it wasn’t likely to draw the immediate attention of the faculty, and the protruding ledge was just wide enough for Francis to work without falling to his immediate death.

The plan was fool proof... or so Francis had thought.

Since the wall was three floors up, there was a risk. A risk that his admittedly willowy frame would be pushed off balance by the force of even the slightest errant breeze. Should the worst befall him, he needed a spotter. Someone with giant, muscular arms who could heroically save him from a tragically messy demise.

Of course, Francis had the perfect person in mind. No one in his years had guns as mighty as @Kay Wickham. Being Francis’s dear, dear friend, he knew that only she would risk life and limb to spare him a tragic ending at the hands of gravity.

Unfortunately, she’d been WEREWOLF’D, and a sizable bite to her biceps meant that she was in no condition to be catching anyone. He would have to find another, but who?

... Well, he did seem to get along alright with Rysz.

You know, based on that duel they had that one time where Rysz fainted and Francis did not judge him for it. That meant they were cool, right?

After searching far and wide, over every hill and under every stone (for the drama) Francis eventually found Rysz sunbathing by the lake. At least, that’s what he assumed Rysz was doing. Who knew what the actual story was there.

"Rysz,” Francis said by way of greeting, plopping himself down on a patch of grass directly in front of the other boy. “I need to ask you a very important question—wait, no, two very important questions,” he corrected with haste, “One: how do you feel... about mermaids? And two... are you for or against vandalism?”

Edited by Francis Barnes II

Ryszard Althaus-Valerio

The lake had somehow become Ryszard’s only hang-out space (even when the weather was terrible), but this time for non-delinquency related reasons. Most third years didn’t tend to spend time outside, and especially not since the werewolf attack. It was perfect sulking ground - and Ryszard had been doing a lot of that, lately, so he needed the space (especially with the way people kept looking at the healing bruises on his face). The rest of the student body could find somewhere else, maybe Moaning Myrtle’s bathroom.

At someone’s approaching voice, he looked up from where he’d been brooding and focused on Francis’ face. He didn’t know what the other boy thought he was doing out here, but he really hoped it was something cool. Ryszard couldn’t lose that reputation just because he was going through a crisis.

”Mermaids?” He asked, mystified. Francis had that effect on people, usually, and it always left Ryszard confused. It was mildly terrifying. “I’ve never met one, but I think they’re cool,” he said, nodding. “They have tails and can live both in the water and on land, and that is cool.” He liked to read, okay? “Vandalism, on the other hand, is even better,” he added, now grinning.

Finally, something related to his very niche interests.

“When do we get started?” He didn’t know what it was that Francis wanted from him, but he now knew both mermaids and vandalism were involved, so he was definitely in.

Francis Barnes II

Francis blinked.

Was... was Rysz his soulmate?

“I’ve been waiting forever for someone to say that,” he whispered, quickly leaning over to grasp Rysz enthusiastically by his shoulders, “about mermaids.” he clarified. “No one in this school understands my enthusiasm for mermaids the way you do. This settles it. You’re the one. Let’s go paint some walls in the name of creative freedom!”

I mean, Francis had said vandalism, but this endeavor was, and would always be, about the art.

--like, ten minutes later, probably--

“Behold... the canvas.” Francis said, sweeping his arm dramatically across said canvas... which just so happened to be a wall that was not within arms reach, which of course made the gesture more grandiose than it needed to be.

“Now Rysz, you may be asking yourself, why me?” A fair question, honestly. Francis and Rysz were cool but not like, cool cool, if you catch my drift. “Well, you know Kay? My super awesome friend with the big arms? Blonde? Spends half the day in a tracksuit running around the castle? Well uh, she’s in the hospital wing right now,” they could gloss over why she was in the hospital wing for the sake of expediency, “and my considerably less muscular friend, Robin? Yeah, also in the hospital wing.”

What Francis was saying was that he had no friends.

“So that ledge is really high up. Ordinarily I’d ask Kay to stand down here in the hopes that she could catch me if I fell—I don’t know, maybe Robin in a pinch—but since they’re both indisposed at the moment you’re pretty much the only person at Hogwarts I trust to do this," Truth. "Will you please be my spotter?”

Ryszard Althaus-Valerio

Ryszard decided he liked Francis. The Gryffindor had never really said many words to him, but he always somehow just knew that he was thinking about big and amazing adventures. It was the only thing that made sense to him — why else would he throw off such an epic aura? There was no other explanation.

“Does this make us like...bros for life?” He asked, eagerly. Ryszard didn’t really tend to make friends — maybe it had something to do with how he chose to use his fists before he’d even gotten to know a person — so the very idea made him feel excited. He wasn’t apathetic, like a lot of people most likely thought of him, and he liked having company just as much as the next person. :(

Ten minutes later, Ryszard was still pretty much convinced of Francis’ vision, and was looking forward to realising it together. It was going to be...beautiful. The thought almost brought a tear to his eyes.

“That sucks,” he replied. “My friend, Aiden, is also in the Wing,” he nodded, hoping they were still friends, considering Ryszard had forgot to bring him a card last time he’d gone for a visit. He didn’t feel bad about it, but maybe it had caused Aiden to doubt where his loyalties lay. “It’s the least I can do for you, since you...” He paused, wondering what was it that Francis had done for him that had made him feel so grateful.

He stared into the distance, a vacuous stare on his face. There really was nothing.

”Since you’re my friend,” he said, finally, hoping he didn’t sound like an alien arriving on planet Earth for the very first time, wondering what this thing called ‘friendship’ was. He moved closer to the wall and looked back at Francis. “Is here good?”

Francis Barnes II

Francis thought the question over carefully, tapping his lower lip with an index finger in thought. He didn’t consider himself the sort to extend friendship lightly, but Francis didn’t like to make false promises either and there was an awful lot of danger out there in the big, wide world to account for when making any sort of FOREVER promise. “I’m pretty sure.” Francis decided eventually, “Unless one of us falls victim to a sudden and incurable disease, or equally fatal accident. But like, I’ll still bring flowers to your grave if you bring flowers to mine.”

True friendship was keeping your pal’s headstone free of dust and dirt?

“Sure, I’m not picky,” Francis replied as Ry moved towards the wall. Honestly, Ry could miss him entirely, leaving Francis to be killed by gravity, and he’d still be cool with it so long as Ry had tried his best.

Francis had, of course, considered other methods of stalling his demise, such as a sticking charm, but painting was a very fluid art and his project would suffer if he stayed affixed to any one part of the wall for too long. Fortunately, despite Francis’s rather insistent habit of making things explode into fire, he was an apt Charms student who’d done plenty of extracurricular study outside of the classroom. Enough that he had plenty of fail-safes in place should the worst fate befall him.

“I’m gunna go grab my paints. See you from up there in five minutes.” Assuming the staircases didn’t move on him. >:/

Ryszard Althaus-Valerio

”That sounds good,” he replied. The flowers, not the untimely death. Ryszard would probably promise Francis anything at this point. His life wasn’t as fulfilling as it was supposed to be at thirteen. That was probably his own fault for being so awful to everyone that walked within earshot. Some would say he needed to work on his people skills; he was not one of those people.

As he neared the wall, Ryszard seriously wondered what he was doing in Slytherin. It wasn’t even that good a house, and the only people that seemed concerned about the state of his health were Gryffindors. It was very possible that his parents had tampered with the Sorting Hat to get him sent to their legacy house. He doubted he would’ve been faced with the same passive behaviour as Adrina if he had landed in some other house.

“Can we...levitate?” He asked, out loud. Ryszard was sure that was a type of magic that existed, but he was definitely no expert on it. He would try, but he didn’t want Francis to witness him falling on his butt and ruining the entire plan. He would probably leave Ryszard on the floor and go look for someone else to help him with this excellent adventure (that’s what Ryszard would do, anyways).

He was pretty sure that’s exactly what Francis had done when he ran off to supposedly get his ‘paints’. It was suspicious, but Ryszard had to trust someone. Maybe Francis was the real friends he’d made along the way.

As he watched the Gryffindor walk away, Ryszard stood there and thought. Really thought in a way he had never before. He realised he was supposed to be waiting at the bottom in order to catch Francis if he should fall, but it didn’t seem adequate that he shouldn’t risk his life for art, as well. After all, it was the only thing he was actually good at.

Looking around, Ryszard jumped up, trying to get a hand on the top part of the wall. He was tall, but somehow, it wasn’t working. “Damn it,” he whispered to himself, and hoped Francis would never find out about this.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.