Sign in to follow this  
Headmistress McGonagall

Study Hall

Drew Knight

Kacie with permission.

“Yours are way better, but I don’t see how you think this is going to help,” Drew admitted softly to @Kacie Weaver. The two sat side by side at the Gryffindor table, hands tightly clasped beneath the cover of the tabletop. Their hands rested on Drew’s knee, which had been bobbing interminably up and down for several minutes now. The Ravenclaw frowned despondently into Kacie’s old arithmancy notes, comparing them to his own. “It just doesn’t make any sense to me, Kace. It’s like it’s written in another language. I’m never gonna pass.”

Naked pessimism was rare from Drew, but then, this was his arithmancy OWL.

Maybe I should just drop it before the exam,” he muttered for the third time that studyhall. “Then I wouldn’t have to figure out how to tell my Dad and Nico I failed it.”

Between the cryptic lines of formulas and definitions, Drew could read his forthcoming exile from the Knight family.

He looks at me like he wishes I was someone else.

Rad wasn’t all that keen on studying these days. Frankly, the subjects he cared about were the ones in which he had natural talent — DADA, Charms, etc. And he was clearly capable of scraping Os in other subjects as well, though he could have done with actual remedial Potions lessons.

Sure, back in first and second year he’d spent remarkable amounts of time in the library, reading and reading and reading, feeling as though if he weren’t the best at every single thing, then they’d somehow made a mistake in inviting him here at all.

These days, he was feeling a lot more grown up. Not that you would know it by looking at him — he was still a meager four feet and six inches tall, and the coming and going of his thirteenth birthday without nary a growth spurt was a considerable dampener of his spirits. He still had to look up, up, up to speak with almost anybody. And as short as Rad seemed to be, somehow Lester Roach seemed ever the taller.

This was, in fact, the reason Rad decided to attend Study Hall. Not to study, no, but because anything wafted with the slightest fragrance of erudition was bound to prove itself a Roach-repellent, and Radueriel really wanted some quality time to knit.

He had, it seems, vastly overestimated the ability of Hogwarts students to sit quietly and do anything. If a Hufflepuff wasn’t screaming, then Robin was loudly instructing Kay in a charm Rad had already mastered. He really needed to get his hands on one of those iWizes.

Looking up from his yarn (purple specked with gold), the Slytherin noticed Simon Reed across the room and swallowed. It had been a long time since the two of them had spoken. The tall Ravenclaw seemed to be at the center of a cloud of activity involving Stella and some other fourth-years that Rad didn’t know.

His eyes remained on Simon, on the thicketed curl of his hair, and his fingers found themselves able to resume their knitting.

Pandora Midnight

Within the span of a few seconds, Pandora's face contorted, first with the relief of finally getting help, then to confusion, and finally a look of despair as @Avery Potter's words settled over her. "Do you mean to say that pencils are not used as a weapon? That was the only thing I got from our lessons!" The helpless feeling settled into her bones as she let her head hit the table in front of her. Why had she even bothered to take Muggle studies? Her mother would be furious when she found out. Curse her stupid curiosity. 

She half wanted to blame @Prince A. Charming for showing her comic books but Panda knew that obviously wasn't the entire reason. Besides, classes had already been in session by that point. Maybe she only wanted to blame the younger boy specifically because he was nearby? When had she become such a despicable person? How could she just blame whoever she was with on her own failures?

Kacie Weaver

Kacie frowned as she listened to her boyfriend.  “It kind of is written in a different language, babe.  And you can pass.  If I can pass this, you can pass this.  You don’t have to be good at it… Nico passed his potions NEWT, didn’t he?  He talked all the time about how he couldn’t brew his way out of his own cauldron.”  She wasn’t sure how well this line of reasoning would go over with Drew, so she decided to change tack.  “Look, you don’t have to keep going after the OWL, but how are you going to feel if you give up on yourself before the game’s done?”  She leaned close and kissed him on the cheek. 

“And your Dad and Nico aren’t gonna throw you out of the family if you don’t like Arithmancy.  You’re family.” She squeezed his hand.  “Alright.  OT.  You gonna let this OWL deke you out?  Head in the game, Knight.”  Kacie was working on her hockey speak… but she wasn’t sure that that had been quite right.

Jaxon Sinclair

Jack pointedly ignored the less-than-appreciative looks some of the students gave his sister as she climbed over the table.  He noted in that moment that her tennis shoes did not conform to the dress code and were, in fact, the very pair that their mother had threatened to literally set on fire if Maggie didn't cease and desist with stitching them back together, covering them with glittery nail polish, and having all of her friends sign the rubber cap over the toes.  

He chose not to mention them, their frayed laces,  Nox's name in bold letters along the side of one of them, or the obnoxious amount of green, glittery nail varnish that had been used to outline each of the eyelets that the laces looped through.

He did, however, take the torn in half muffin that she offered him a minute later and opted to comment on her apparent masochism and sudden love of arithmetic.  "That's...a lot of math, Mags," he managed to choke out, swallowing what felt like the world's driest banana nut muffin in the history of baking confections.  "You know, I think Dad still has his old notes from Arithmancy.  You could probably write home and ask for them."

Seeley Pichardo

Seeley was slowly starting to realize why she didn't attend these so-called study halls.  

They were far too crowded and who here was actually getting any work done?  With the shouting and spells and actual climbing across the tables?!  Her attention was drawn away from Wyatt and towards @Maggie Sinclair as the younger slytherin stomped across the very table she was sitting at and plopped down next to her brother.  

When had he gotten there?  And what thirteen year old knew the word masochist?  So many questions.  

But the most important ones filtered out first and had nothing to do with either of those things.  "If she doesn't want those arithmancy notes, can I have them?  And have you asked him if I can follow him around over the holiday?"  

That didn't sound creepy did it?  

Maggie Sinclair

It did sound creepy. Super creepy. Turbo creepy. The Cardi B of creepy. Like, really Seeley? Their dad? Maggie continued to pick at her muffin, arithmancey notes forgotten to stare around her brothers back at the girl she was honestly surprised at for having said the words with a straight face.

“You know that’s creepy right?” she told her, straightening up only to slouch sideways over her book to stare at Seeley with a hand propping up her face. Maggie couldn’t be bothered to contort herself for someone who was being pretty sketchy about their dad, which ew.  She didn’t even have a reason for leaning in to business that wasn’t her own, she just wanted to do it because why not? Anything was better than trying to decipher runes and statistics.

“Just, suuuuuuuuper creepy, fam. Like...it's our dad.” and here she made a face as though she were contemplating things best left unsaid and maybe sort of gagged a little before fixing her face.

“Not a good look Pichardo…although Professor Pichardo.” Maggie trailed off, nodding like every creep under the sun, before going back to her muffin and her notes, but not before she tossed one final ‘Your friends are weird.” At the back of her brothers head.

Hypocrisy, thy name is Margaret Sinclair

Edited by Maggie Sinclair

Emmett Blaze

It wasn't typical for Emmett to participate in any sort of communal studying, despite his course load. He found it easier to study in the peace of the Ravenclaw common room, surrounded by torchlit silence. As he was exiting the Great Hall that day, however, he spotted @Isobel Blake at the mostly empty Gryffindor table poring over a book of sorts, and he found his steps mechanically stopping, his direction changing.

He approached her softly, setting his satchel down on the table and taking the seat to her right. Luckily, there were few enough people that he was able to sit far enough from her to not risk accidentally touching her (although he was almost alarmingly far for someone meant to sit next to her, but still). He did, at least, turn toward her slightly and lean against his elbow before speaking.

"What're you studying, Isobel?"

Edited by Emmett Blaze

Anderson Potter

Anderson didn't want to work on his homework but he had to. He wanted to be an apothecarist and make healing potions. If he didn't concentrate and get good marks, he would never be allowed to do that. He moved his head from side to side, trying to stretch the muscles out. He wasn't sure how much longer his body would be able to take of sitting there, bent over a book. He had several more chapters to read and a few essays to finish so he would have to stay and study until he was kicked out.

He blinked his eyes a few times to keep the tiredness at bay and then looked around at the other students. Most of them were studying together, chatting, or just otherwise interacting with their peers. He sat alone and he wished that wasn't the case. Maybe one day he'd find a way to balance his life but for now, he was stuck with books.

Jaxon Sinclair

That mouthful of the world's driest banana nut muffin lodged in the back of Jack's throat at Seeley's arrival, forming a sort of pasty mass that made it damn near impossible to breathe, let alone to speak.  His eyes watered and his fingers released their hold on the edges of his books in a moment of frantic panic before he finally choked and managed to get the sticky confection to slide the rest of the way down his esophagus.  

Yes, he had spoken to her about their father and his job and yes, as he had promised her he would, he'd written home and received a letter about how he shouldn't volunteer people for things without talking to them first, but that yes, his 'little friend' could shadow him for the holiday if she chose to.  He just hadn't gotten around to telling her that yet and then she'd gone and made it WeirdTM.

And Maggie was just so great at pointing it out, thank you, Captain Obvious, for filling in that little bit of mortifying information while he was choking on a muffin he'd been given by her.  Jack shot her a sour look, mostly because how dare she judge his friends when her boyfriend had sodding purple hair?

"He said yes," he finally managed to get out, his voice grating like gravel after the choking incident.  "Maggie, stop dancing like that.  I can't pretend we're not related anymore."

Isobel Blake

If there was a chance for Isobel to show off how smart she was without looking like she was showing off, she would take it. She loved studying: love the scratch of quills against parchment, the creak old books made as they stretched their spine, the intensity of focus it necessitated. What she did not love was when idiots tried to holler and gossip while she was trying to study, and Isobel found her irritation mounting the louder it became in the Great Hall.

When someone sat beside her, she was about to give them a withering glare in warning, but it was... @Emmett Blaze. And suddenly, Isobel was a hypocrite.

Unable to stop herself from smiling softly, warmth spreading through her at the sight of him, she turned to show off the cover over her Ancient Runes textbook. "I wanted to get a head start." Rolling her eyes, she added quietly, "Though I don't know why I bothered. It's impossible to focus in here." And now, beside Emmett, there was no way in hell she would be able to focus. 

Not that she minded. 

Julian Pritchard

“Yeah,” Julian nodded at Hazel, but he made no attempt to get up or call over Dorjee. After all, Stella had joined the pair and she was a great duellist and a duelling mentor too; he was sure she could help with whatever Dorjee was struggling. Still, the pull to get up and offer to help too was strong, the curiosity about what the gryffindor specifically needed help with egging him on. After a second thinking it over, he slumped slightly in his chair.

“I suppose he knows I’m here if he needs my help. Well, probably.” He grimaced slightly and tried to distract himself by scanning over the cover of Hazel’s book.

“Which one are you reading now?” he asked, craning his neck so he could peer at the actual text, though the angle in which was sitting was unfortunate and he could only catch a few of the words. At the same time, he placed his hand on the table, nudging Hazel’s fingers gently with his own. Ever since their talk in the library, he’d been trying to experiment with being more spontaneously physically affectionate, or appearing so, anyway.

Aggie Price

@Anderson Potter

Aggie should have been focusing on her assignment but 'directions'.  She sighed and wondered if it might help for her to see if someone could help her with it or just give it up for the night and try again later.  Looking up to see if her brother was still trying to distract Jack, she spotted one of her friends, looking rather tired and alone.  Gathering up her things she went over and greeted him.  "Hey Drake," she said with a smile.  "Mind if I join you to study?"  Maybe having someone nearby would motivate her to get the hang of directions.

Hazel Wheeler

Hazel noticed as Julian sunk back in his seat and frowned a bit at him. She almost spoke up to encourage him to go talk to Dorjee - or to even call over there herself - but then he was leaning in closer to her. It felt like a headrush every time he took an initiative to be near her, and every one of her senses was suddenly tuned to him. The ever familiar Julian smell, the way he radiated warmth, and even the way she could spot the smallest appearance of his dimples as he spoke. Every piece of her was attracted to what made Julian, well, Julian.

But it was the finger touch. The soft bump of their fingers that made her bust into a smile that scrunched her nose. She traced over the curve of his index finger delicately with her own before interlacing their fingers. He made her so happy. It couldn't be stressed enough that Hazel felt like sunshine around him. Warm and blinding just from spending time with him.

"I'm going back over The Tale of the Three Brothers from earlier, and then I think I might read the story of Rapunzel," Hazel replied and rested her head in the hand that wasn't holding his own, "I still think the Disney version is better though. It's a lot happier."

Avery Potter

“Well… I don’t think they are.” Avery replied to @Pandora Midnight. “It would be pretty horrible for muggles to go around stabbing everyone.”

She had left her first lesson with a sickened stomach. Even though she was returning each week, she couldn’t let go the fact they were taught about how to harm someone first of all. Avery believed there were already too many ways in the wizarding world to harm another person, let alone being taught a muggle way as well.

As Harmony  spoke to her, Avery turned her head once more and thought about what they were taught about. “Only that they are super dangerous. Have you learnt about the Grindylows yet?”

As she spoke, Avery spotted her older brother sitting alone. She longed to go and see him but refrained, knowing that he still didn’t want her presence in his Hogwarts life.

Cora Ives

Maybe it was better to doom herself to a life of lonely studying if this was what she'd have to deal with mingling with the other students. @Jacqueline Frost's screaming, and subsequent suspicious silencing—Cora wasn't quite savvy enough to understand what happened there, but was glad for it—and the general growing chaos of several dozen students all trying to avoid studying shot straight to the ever-present throb at the back of her head. She was going to go absolutely loony by the end of this year, swears.

"You didn't cast a spell on that girl, did you?" Cora overheard enough to lean across the table and shoot @Ethan Smith a deserved accusatory frown. "I'm.

Disappointed." Disappointment on top of the noise was doing nothing for her headache. "But if you did that to the rest of the students, I would turn a blind eye." Was she sounding too much like @Idina Iordanau now? Whoops.

Wyatt Lazarus

Normality. 

It was the angle he was aiming for. If he was able to keep up a conversation, then maybe they would be able to settle everything without actual words being formed. As she spoke, he gave a small smile. "You'll do brilliantly. You've got a goal, so you will make it happen." He had a lot of faith in his friends. "I don't know why I carried it on. I just wanna work with my potions in peace."

Maybe he was just a gluten for punishment.

@Seeley Pichardo

Simon Reed

Simon snorted at Stella's prediction, "I for one hope it's Pitts" he muttered, cautiously looking over his shoulder to make sure he wasn't overheard. He doubted the bloke would be studying seeing as he probably hadn't gotten anything higher than a Troll since first year but the last thing he needed was to get on that goon's radar. Still, he couldn't help but feel as though somebody had their eyes fixated on him. He wasn't sure if by way of Divination, Simon had perhaps started to develop a sixth sense but that overwhelming sense that somebody was watching him wouldn't go away. He ran a hand through his hair as they waited on Dorjee to pipe up, discreetly surveying the hall until he unexpectedly found a small raven haired boy staring directly back at him.

He gulped. He felt as though he had just jerked awake from one of those 'falling-over-the-edge-of-a-cliff' dreams. His stomach had dropped and his heart was wildly racing against his chest... They hadn't crossed paths or talked in ages, and even though his face felt as though it was about to burn off he couldn't quite look away...

Eli Benoit

As much as Eli enjoyed the work environment of the library for doing homework, he was finding the study hall a pleasant change of pace. Even though he was busier than ever in his third year, Eli was content for the moment to just sit with his divinations homework out in front of him, people-watching and gazing at the ceiling. THAT was a feature the library didn't have.

The hall was crowded enough that the chatter turned into congenial background noise, and no one conversation stood out more than any of the others enough to distract him when he did set to work. He scanned the room once more before committing to spending a few minutes actually reading his textbook, and this time spotted @Radueriel Benson at the Slytherin table. He hadn't talked to the other boy since their duel last year, where Eli had backfired himself off of the platform. That remained his one and only backfire in a duel, and that event was still an unsolved puzzle. It was time to pick up where they'd left off. Eli made a move.

The Ravenclaw took a seat beside Rad and put his book down on the table, letting it fall back open to where he'd been saving his place with a finger.

"What are you knitting?"

Professor Foster

With the moon at its fullest, Professor Foster had scheduled Lawrence's walk earlier than usual and had then supped alone in her quarters. Afterward she felt too restless to retire with a book and decided that an evening workout would put her in a more restful mood. However, as she passed by the open double doors of the Great Hall on her way down to the lower dungeons, she did a double-take at something odd she saw within and had to step back to look inside.

In all her time at Hogwarts, (student and faculty) Peggy Foster had never seen a study hall so heavily attended. She could not help but smile at this surprising development. She credited Headmistress McGonagall and her leadership for inspiring the students. Under Gawkrodger's tenure as Head she would have been more likely to see hippo racing or javelin throwing as she went by, but now the students were actually applying themselves to their studies. It warmed Foster's heart to see it.

Feeling that all was well with the world, Foster withdrew and continued her way down to the lower dungeons where she knew no one was likely to disturb her.

Edited by Professor Foster

Shiloh Paige

Shiloh was sitting at one of the tables working on writing down her most recent dream for her dream diary and trying to figure out if she should actually include her most recent dream in full. She sent a look in the direction of @Stella Peabody before blushing and opting to not have any of that dream get anywhere near to public consumption. For all she knew @Professor Pichardo shared the dream journals around the staff.

That thought alone made her think about erasing some of her previous dreams right out of existence.

Anderson Potter

A smile spread across Sonny's face. @Aggie Price had appeared and he was so happy to see her. "Of course!" he rushed to say. He didn't want her to move on. They had been friends for so long now and he loved having her around. She was nice and funny. She didn't seem to put any pressure on hanging out all the time or anything. It was the perfect friendship. "I was just doing some of the readings before I finish some essays. Do you have anything you have to work on?" Maybe they could work on homework together and get it done faster.

Aggie Price

@Anderson Potter

"Yes... Do I want to?  No," she replied with a laugh.  "Star charts and navigation.  Great assignment for someone with no sense of direction," she explained as she settled across the table from him.  "But I also have some essays to work on too."  She liked Drake.  He was comfortable to be around and was always pleasant -- except when focused on potions but she understood that and accepted it as part of who he was.

Aurora Andrews

Aurora wasn't sure how she much she enjoyed things in the aftermath with Simon. It was strange not having someone always by her side for anything she needed, or the loss of him when she wanted to enjoy a cup of hot chocolate. It had been hard to enjoy the drink since, as it only seemed to bring back the good memories with Simon and she was still stuck in the negative. But the redhead had a mug of hot chocolate in a safe transportable container, thinking of heading back to the dorm for some light reading but the activity in the Great Hall caught her attention.

And that was probably how she found herself sliding in as quietly as possible once noticing the unmistakable Simon Reed in the room, searching out for either Julian or Hazel. As she doubted very much that Celeste would be found here - more time to spend on her studies versus anything else didn't seem very likely. She sighed with relief when she spotted the two side by side, and the widest smile she'd ever seen on Hazel.

"Hey Juju, hey babe." Aurora froze momentarily, wondering if she was still allowed to call her that. She had wanted nothing more than her friendship to continue with Hazel as normal but the brunette's emotions at the time had continued to weigh heavily on her since. The word had slipped out with an ease that she hoped it would be okay.

Samuel Curtis

It was nice doing homework with a group. Sammy usually did his homework with Atticus. Even though he was helping his friend with the wizarding world, his best bud was even better at making sure Sam made sense in their essays. He tended to get a little excited about topics and rambled on.

”oh that reminds me, I started that one essay.... you have to tell me, I didn’t go too off topic, right?” Sam asked pulling it up to show @Prince A. Charming.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.