Sign in to follow this  
Headmistress McGonagall

Study Hall

Hazel Wheeler

Hazel, after the newfound energy that had strengthened her relationship with Julian rather than deter it, hadn’t really left his side. Not that she had spent much time away from him to begin with.... It was nice just to be around him after the complete and utter disaster she and Simon had caused. Julian brought warmth, serenity, and an all around comfort that she desperately needed.

When he had stayed for study hall, Hazel had slid into the seat next to him -  working on reading up on some of the fairytales Grim was so keen on them knowing. She flipped through the book lazily, pink glitter pen bouncing between her fingers whenever she stopped taking notes. It was just so peaceful to sit beside Ju - plus every now and again he’d look over to her and smile and that was priceless. 

“I think so?” Hazel replied in a hushed tone, looking over at Simon, Stella, and Dorjee, “I bet you’d be great at showing him stuff.”

Hazel hadn’t really mentioned anything to Julian about talking to Simon after their disaster, but she figured there wasn’t anything to tell. She was completely, utterly, and truly wrapped up in all things Julian Pritchard. Simon Reed was the last thing she would worry about for a while.

Edited by Hazel Wheeler

Jacqueline Frost

Success. 

Jack ignored the looks of annoyance, the mumbles regarding her antics, even Seeley's complaints which she resisted addressing — the urge to snap back with some retort about how maybe she'd be better behaved if she'd had a proper mentor was as strong as the urge to stand on the table and elaborate on her dramatics. 

She considered it, pictured it; Ethan would hex her if she tried she knew as much. It was almost worth it. 

"BUT ETHAAAAAAN," Jack whined, tugging at his sleeve to get him to follow her out. "I CAN DEAL WITH A FEW CATS BUT THERE'S HUNDREDS!" 

She rolled her eyes, "You can study later! WE NEED TO GEO!" 

Edited by Jacqueline Frost

Ethan Smith

Studting was something he needed to do, twelve classes was knitting him and head boy duties adding on top was a headache. This was supposed to be his moment of quiet. 

“JACK.” He didn’t mean to yell it just happened. “Did you let the cats free. Like when you wrecked the common room.” He figured it was her and he left a prefect meeting because of it. One that he was hosting. 

He wqs was almost ready to silence her cause he could hear others mumbles. Knowing that if anyone else hexed Jack there would be trouble.

Jacqueline Frost

"I DIDN'T LET ANY CATS OUT I SWEAR IT ON THE FURBLING!" 

There were three things that needed to be known:

1. This was a rare occasion in which Jack was honest with Ethan without a catch. 

2. There were no cats. There were no rats. She made the whole thing up to keep her crush from flirting with someone who actually had a chance with him.

3. She hadn't thought far ahead into her plan for when she managed to get Ethan to follow her out.

"And don't forget about the rats. There's a rat infestation too what if the cats eat someone's pet rodent???? WE NEED TO GO NOOOOW! " 

Edited by Jacqueline Frost

Ethan Smith

He couldn’t take it anymore. He didn’t think he was able to believe Jack at all, many times she would say something and than it wouldn’t be true at all. Looking at her and all his notes. He knew that he needed to study. 

Why couldnt Jack see that. 

Also Ethan was so blind that he couldn’t tell that Jack did this for attention. She was worst than a cat, much worst when it came to getting his attention. “If you stop yelling and help me then I will check in your cat and rat issue. If you yell again.” He didn’t say he would silence her but that is what he would do.

Seeley Pichardo

Seeley looked up when she heard @Wyatt Lazarus's voice nearby.  It had been a great while since he had spoken to her.  She was aware that he and Desmond had made some kind of peace and she'd been hoping that she wouldn't be left out of it entirely but she wasn't pushing.  Still, she was surprised to see him sliding into the seat beside her and it probably showed.  

"Oh, hi." She glanced at him quickly, back at her book and then turned to face him more fully, a nervous smile on her face.  "Yea, i mean it always is for me.  It's the worst.  I would have stopped taking it if I thought I could but I don't think I'd get into the academy without it."  

Jacqueline Frost

"IF I YELL AGAIN WHAT!" Jack purposefully raised her voice at him, challenging the Head Boy to hex her in front of everyone. Surely even Ethan knew that he had more to lose than she had if he were to use his favorite spell on her. Her voice would eventually come back, but that badge, the power that came with being the most important boy in the school (and in her heart tbh but that was another story for another time) would definitely be at risk of disappearing if he even dared point a wand at her. 

Tugging at his sleeve again, she pouted, ensuring to appear more adorable than any other blonde in the Great Hall that could have taken Ethan's attention from her when it was evident she had 100% of it just by being herself. Her obnoxious, annoying, immature self. 

Ethan should have known if he'd stopped giving Jack his attention she would stop being so Extra™. 

One day he'd learn. 

"ETHAN THE CATS ARE GOING TO EAT THE RATS LET'S GOOOOOOO!" 

Jaxon Sinclair

The essay tucked under his arm and the load of schoolbooks was evidence enough that Jack had, perhaps, spent too much time in the Dueling Chamber and not enough time on his coursework.  Strangely enough, the library had proved to be too much of a distraction since the incident with the Headless Hats and Adrina.  He couldn't sit there without feeling a heated flush rise to his cheeks, so he'd taken his work to the Great Hall.

Steady fingers flipped the Defense Against the Dark Arts textbook open and he unrolled the parchment carefully, having taken a seat near Seeley.  He shot her a grin, lips pressed tight, quill in his hand as he got to work, trying (and failing) to ignore the absurdly loud mouth of one @Jacqueline Frost.  

The Slytherin rolled his eyes and looked directly at his sister, who was occupying a seat across from him, elbows deep in an Arithmancy notebook that looked like literal hell transcribed on a page.  "Dad making you take that or are you truly that much of a masochist?"

Prince A. Charming

Atticus reached into his bag and got the flash cards out. They didn't help him at all but maybe they would help his classmates. "What creature tries to lure humans into bogs?" he asked @Harmony Granger-Weasley when she finished answering another student's question. Just then, @Samuel Curtis, his best friend, appeared. "Hey, Sammy! We're going over water demons. Want to join?" He didn't know if the Hufflepuff wanted to study at the moment but he had already promised Harmony that he would help her.

"Anyone else want to go over water demons?" he asked the surrounding second years. Might as well offer the chance to everyone while they were gathered together. Maybe a group learning experience would help him actually remember magical facts for once. Although he doubted it.

Ethan Smith

He was trying to breath and not lose his cool with Jack Frost, but it seems like she was just getting louder and louder. Why wasn't Ethan allowed to study. It was the one time he had to himself. Maybe just maybe he should have went to the library. It would have been easier that way. He was pretty sure it would have been. Or not, cause Jack Frost followed him around like a cat. 

"That is a good thing isn't it?" Cats eating the rats, they would be fine. But the louder she got the more his hand inched towards his wand. People were trying to study and it was as simple as that. Grabbing his wand. "Silencio!" He whispered, but just loud enough and he correct wand movements to have it heading towards Jack. 

Now with her silenced he might be able to get some studying done. 

Samuel Curtis

Sammy was really proud of his best friend. They had become fast friends prior to Hogwarts starting and he did the best he could making sure Atticus wasn't feeling behind in the wizarding world. He could tell already his friend was catching on real fast and really branching out. Especially when Atticus wanted to study instead of wandering around like Sammy had done. He didn't mind but soon found that to be boring, best to be working on being a better self too.

He grinned when he caught eyes with @Prince A. Charming. "Sure thing!" It wasn't the most fun thing to do but it was with friendly faces so that's all that mattered. "I wonder if our end of term exams will focus on them a lot of something else..." Guess it was sort of time to start preparing.

Maggie Sinclair

“Masochist.” She muttered around the bubble of droobles she’d just blown ( watermelon flavor), scribbling furiously on the notepad next to her own textbook. This studying B.S. was for the birds, but she’d made promises to a certain someone that she’d take her marks seriously and Maggie never did anything by halves.

Even if that meant spending long tedious hours transcribing her textbook from an Arithmancy guide for dummies right along side it, instead of just buckling down and playing to her strengths by looking into the care of magical creatures career tract and hoping when her dad found out she wanted to be a vet, that he wouldn’t spontaneously combust at how plebian it was. Especially as a witch who’d come from a family of ‘real’ mediwizards and lawyers.

Maggie’s hand finally slowed on the paper, and with a sigh and a look up, she grinned across at her brother, looking left and then right before standing up on the bench and hopping clear over the table to take the empty spot next to him, ignoring peoples outrage or the fact that she’d just nearly put her foot into a breadbasket full of ‘study’ muffins, one of which she tore into while snatching her belongings over.

"You want?" She held out the muffin.

Edited by Maggie Sinclair
because muffin isn't spelled with a g >___>

Aggie Price

Aggie was really trying hard to figure out this star navigational thingy from Astronomy.  It was bad enough she had cold hot cocoa by the time she found her way (read that someone had to come in and lead her out of the forest the other night.  But north, south, east, west, they all meant nothing to the Ravenclaw.  Sometimes even left, right made no difference unless it was accompanied by a clear and distinct landmark -- like turn at the second Tesco.

Determined to figure this out, at least enough to pass her OWLs, she tried once again to create the star charts.  It would help if a certain Hufflepuff would not be so loud.  She was about to reach for her wand when her brother, @Ethan Smith apparently took care of the matter.  She made a mental note to thank him later.  She actually kind of liked @Jacqueline Frost but not the volume she was currently yelling at.

Robin Corelli-Rose

"Like this," Robin whispered - mouthed, really - making the motion with his finger like he had in class: four sweeps back and forth, two concentric circles, and a sharp, decisive flick. There was no need to use low voices - everyone else was talking in varying volumes - but Robin felt it prudent to the cause.

And, if he spoke in a barely-there voice, @Kay Wickham had to focus on him.

Their mission was simple that evening, and Robin had forgone his reluctance to practice in public, rather than a quiet space, because for once a crowded place was exactly the sort of environment Robin wanted for this sort of training. "I'll Dampen you first," he nodded, grey eyes twinkling. Robin could count on one hand the number of times he'd been excited about a practical Defense class enough to want to develop the skill outside of it. This was one such time. "@Francis Barnes II and I will listen to see if you make any noise, or if anyone notices you." He flashed her one of his small smiles. "Try and make as much noise as you can. But no sound-effects." And with that, Robin said the incantation and finished the casting with that most excellent flick of his wand.

Edited by Robin Corelli-Rose

Mason Fluke

"I don't think so--?" Fluke answered uncertainly, looking around at all the students who were absorbed in their own businesses. His eyes landed on @Ethan Smith, looking like the dorkiest one of all, and felt the hairs on the back of his neck rising. "So what...what're you doing there?" he asked, though his attention was furthest away from whatever Alayna was doing.

"You know what. Excuse me... I owe that jerk a broken nose for trying to get you to break up with me."

Alayna Weasley

Alayna bit her lip and slowly went to pull the hood further over her head, tucking back a red curl all the while. “I uh… was taking notes?” she replied rather unconvincingly. That hardly seemed to matter anymore though. Fluke’s attention had taken a clear shift and the seventeen year old followed his line of sight until she too spotted Ethan. An expression of annoyance briefly flashed across her features in that instant; why was he casting spells on people?

The Headmistress was RIGHT THERE.

But something Fluke said quickly replaced the annoyance with a healthy bout of concern. “…what?!” There was a pause, just brief, as Alayna tried to recall what he was talking about. And then the memory came back to her, but not before the Ravenclaw had already risen to his feet.

“…wait, Fluke! He’s not worth it!” Scrambling up herself, she dashed over to try tugging him back in the opposite direction. “Don’t.”  

Pandora Midnight

It was weird how impossible it was to study in the actual Library. There were far too many interesting books in there that Pandora would be constantly distracted. She thought that perhaps it would be safe for her to attempt to study in the great hall. However even upon entering she was unsure. She was going to need a bit of help studying since she seemed to be awful at all of her subjects but looking around finding help already seemed pretty impossible. 

The first person she saw was Robin but seeing he had his wand out she thought it would best to see him later. This was not the day for an unexpected magic fight. Pandora continued looking around and spotted her roommate, who was yelling and fighting with the worst head boy. She didn't know how good Jack even was at studying so there was no way she would go over there. She briefly considered the Charming boy but even after their last not so super encounter, he was younger and wouldn't be any help. Oh! But as she looked closer, @Avery Potter was also sitting by him. Filled with relief that there was someone nearby that would be able to help her, she made her way over. 

The gaggle of second years near by made her nervous but Pandora still tried her best to smile and took a seat beside her roommate. "I am h-having a bit of trouble understanding these muggle studies questions. Would you be able to help me?"

Kay Wickham

The quill balanced between her wrinkled nose and curled upper lip wiggled in a precarious way as Robin explained his plan. Kay tugged it loose and used it to go through the motions her friend was demonstrating to her once more, tossing it onto the table afterwards. They were practicing the Dampening spell they'd just learned--and she had to admit that a study hall was the perfect place to test whether or not you were drawing attention. Especially with the Headmistress watching over them.

"Alrighty," Kay said, and pushed herself up to her feet, fists propped on her narrow hips. "I've got it. Ninja-fy me!"

At least they were kinda-sorta studying, or as close to it as she got nowadays. Somewhen between pre-teen and teen-teen, Kay had fumbled the academic ball, and it had developed into a bad track record with book learning. She knew that sitting in one place reading anything longer than a comic just wasn't one of her (many) strengths. In fact, her strengths mainly consisted of actual strengths like her arms, her core, her legs--she never, ever missed leg day.

In fact, she was leg evening-ing right now, taking advantage of the concealment her friend had just cast on her to work on some noisy high-knees and jump squats, trying her hardest to drive her feet into the floor like a jackhammer.

A mute jackhammer, apparently. Kay laughed--also soundless--and grinned at Robin and Fran as she spun around to hop up onto the table bench itself, and then leaped back down in an imitation of a pro-wrestler about to double-foot-stomp an opponent. She landed with an almost painful impact, an electric sting zinging across her toes, soles and ankles, but she had made only the softest of thumps, inaudible under the chatter of the crowd.

... SHE WAS THE NIGHT.

The Gryffindor straightened up and cracked her knuckles, eager to try out screaming and throwing punches next. Who knew study hall could be such a riot?

Alecia Yates

"I guess that makes total sense," she said nodding at the Slytherin prefect that was with them. Alecia was starting to feel a little bit claustrophobic since Ethan was attracting a lot of girls. As the minutes ticked on, the Great Hall was getting to the point where it was so crowded that Alecia was wondering whether or not she should of reserved one of Alayna's broom closets to study in.

At this point, she decided to ignore everyone else and started to do a reading on herself with her tarot cards.

Edited by Alecia Yates

Damaris Denton

Why has she ever thought that it would be a better idea to study in the Great Hall than in the library? At least in the library, Miss Turner could take points off students who made too much noise. 

“Merlin, the whole lot of you need to shut up! Some of us are trying to study!” She had OWLs soon too!

Avery Potter

"I'll help you out." Avery replied, knowing  that she had found studying with a group better when trying to learn something confusing. As @Harmony Granger-Weasleyand Ralph were there, Avery looked down towards the drawing. "That's pretty awesome."

She adored when others showed creativity. Avery wished she had brought her watercolours from home, knowing that she needed to owl home for them to be sent to her soon. Before she could say anything else, she heard the tones of her friend. Avery gave a small nod. It wasn't as if she was wonderful at muggle studies - the whole subject confused her at times - but she was always willing to help one of her best friends. 

"Ooooh what are you confused about? I hated the first lesson. Who stabs themselves?" She said to @Pandora Midnightwith a grimace. 

Harmony Granger-Weasley

"Thanks Avery!" Harmony responded. 

Atticus had given her the first question, and thankfully she knew it. "That would be a Hinkypunk, I think!" This time, she responded in the affirmative, she knew a lot more about the Hinkypunk as well. Her peers didn't need to know every single detail about a Hinkypunk that she read in their textbook, or that her Da at one point in her childhood investigated a bizarre claim of Hinkypunks for The Quibbler

"Everyone's welcome to study with us. The more, the merrier. Avery, do you have any fun tips on how to remember the water demons?" 

Edited by Harmony Granger-Weasley

Stella Peabody

@Simon Reed seemed happy to see her, or at least happy to have an excuse to stop studying Divination.  

"Good, because I don't know who else I'd partner with for pyromancy... I predict that someone will get too close to the fire and burn their hair.  Now we'll just have to see if my vision comes true!"

"Ooh, what do you need help with, Dorjee?  I'd be happy to help," Stella said, turning to @Dorjee Shire Sherpa, blushing from Simon's compliment.  She didn't contradict him because it was true that she'd bested the Ravenclaw in every match so far.  She loved talking about dueling, especially if it helped less experienced duelists. 

Robin Corelli-Rose

The absence of sound in Kay was unsettling; there was being quiet, with the inevitable shushing of clothing rubbing together and the soft scrape and tamp feet landing on the ground – and then then was a person enchanted with the Dampening Spell. That made her seem almost unreal, knowing that a sound should be coming as a result of her actions and expecting it, only to get nothing. A glitch in the world around her.

Robin was impressed with his work. But even as he was aware of the plethora of advantages to the spell – they could cast it on the zipline and make their journeys all the more clandestine, for example, and sleuthing out of curfew would be that much easier, if necessary, eliminating a crucial risk of discovery – Robin realized the potential danger to a spell like this, one that became apparent as Kay opened her mouth in a grinning roar, her face reddening with the effort, and not a peep came out.

Maybe if they’d been in a quiet room, Robin might have heard a noise like an exhaled breath, but not in a place as raucous as this.

The worry was this: if anyone one of them under such an enchantment got separated from the group and fell into trouble, it would be just like they’d up and disappeared – nobody would hear them scream. It was definitely something to consider – they’d have to think of how to alert each other in case something like that ever happened. He filed that away for later consideration.

“On a scale of one to Batman,” Robin said, placing his hands on an invisible scale – with his right one (Batman) level with his nose – “You’re about here,” and he raised his hand to his brow. “I wonder how much effort it would take me to out-quiet you.”

Anton Hunter

Anton had thought spending time in Study Hall would be great, The library could get packed, Anton's favourite spot in one corner of the library taken up by other people if he didn't get there fast enough after dinner. The common room was usually too loud, and he didn't want to go up to his dorms yet.

True it meant that if @Ava Winchester saw him he'd probably get dragged down into the dueling chamber, but he'd take that risk. He needed to brush up on his Transfiguration work anyway.

At least that had been the plan.

This was a lot noisier than he'd thought it would be, and Anton looked up from his book in time to hear, just barely*, @Ethan Smith silencing one of the younger kids making all that noise. A little unorthodox in Anton's view, but at the same time he could kind of understand? Still, he looked up at the Hufflepuff and said, "Really Ethan? If she knows the Speech Spell than that wasn't very effective. Also that had to be another way than silencing the younger kids." 

*Ethan gave me permission to overhear

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.