Sign in to follow this  
Headmistress McGonagall

Study Hall

Headmistress McGonagall

Minerva loved evenings at Hogwarts. They were quiet and pensive, times where she was able to think about what had been accomplished and what was ahead. 

She was in the habit of lingering after dinner, when the Great Hall was converted from a banquet hall to an area where students congregated to study in the last few hours before curfew set in and they all had to get back to their houses. 

She was halfway through The Predictions of Tycho Dodonus when she took a look at her pocket watch and noticed how much time had passed. She was going to have to hurry back to her office to finish the work that still awaited her there.

-----

This thread is now open to students who would like to RP studying in the Great Hall. 

**NOTE: IF YOU ARE A FIRST YEAR, YOU ARE NOT ELIGIBLE FOR THIS THREAD**

Edited by Headmistress McGonagall

Harmony Granger-Weasley

Study halls were some of Harmony's favorite times of the day. When she was studying, she could pretend that she was a normal student, not a girl with the brilliance of her famous Gran. Currently, Harmony was working on re-reading a chapter for one of her classes. She already read ahead in all of her books the previous summer, but wanted to re-read it to commit this particular concept to memory. There was a quiz the next day, and Harmony wanted to do decently well on it this time. Even though she knew the material, she just wanted to make sure it was in her mind. She looked up from her book, eyes tired from the intense focus, then turned to check on how Ralph was doing. 

"How far along are you in the chapter, Ralph? Ready to do some quizzing?" 

Edited by Harmony Granger-Weasley

Prince A. Charming

Atticus was sitting next to Harmony and going over his homework. He didn't think he had done any of it correctly. In fact, he didn't think he should be in magical school at all. But he was and his father wouldn't let him return to muggle school. "You're a wizard," the man had said. "You have to go to wizard school." The boy had tried to reason with his father but it hadn't worked at all. Obviously. Since he was at Hogwarts, trying to understand what the heck he was supposed to be learning.

He didn't want to speak up since other students were there. He didn't feel comfortable around most people and only had a few friends. He also wasn't sure if he should let anyone outside of the ones who knew that he was a muggleborn. He had heard that they were discriminated against and he didn't want to face that on top of being scared of magic and missing his muggle life. Instead, he just kept reading the same passage over and over trying to figure it out on his own.

Ethan Smith

With his NEWTs happening soon, he knew that any time he was able to study would be a good thing. Making his way to a table Ethan state down and took out most of his NEWT textbooks.  Not knowing who was around him, he just hoped they didn’t mind the stack of eleven books, one book open, parchment, and his quill and ink. 

Note taking was something he did a lot of, he did not know what he wanted to do when he left Hogwarts. Taking all the classes and all NEWTs it was a killer for him. 

With his head boy duties and trying to duel he really hoped that he would be able to do well. So any extra chance of studying he would. 

Flipping the pages in his Runes book, he was lost and confused. This was one class he should have dropped though he kept it and needed to figure out a way to pass it, since he knew he barley passed his OWL to keep the class.

Just it was confusing. 

Ralph Digby Hamilton

Ralph was drawing a dinosaur.

When @Harmony Granger-Weasley Asked him how he was doing, rather than even attempt to lie the Hufflepuff simply held up his drawing and smiled brightly at his friend. “I’ve been practicing my Stegosauruses. See?”

Studying wasn’t his strong suit if it didn’t involve dinosaurs. This was probably why he was so bad at magic.

Harmony Granger-Weasley

"What a nice Stegosaurus. You've really improved on the scale shading. Is that a unicorn horn?" 

Harmony appreciated that Ralph would rather study dinosaurs than water demons. However, Atticus seemed to be interested in studying. 

"Do you want to go over some quizzing with me? You've been looking at that book for quite a while. It might do you some good to get your head out of that paragraph." 

Alayna Weasley

The term ‘curfew’ hardly held any weight to Alayna anymore. Far too many after-hours were spent marching aimlessly through the corridors now anyway; trying to seem authoritative while awaiting a time when she could properly ditch her partner and do something she actually wanted to. Quiet shrouded the redhead, but scrawled notes on parchment revealed her true intentions. She wedged the paper into the crease of a book and concealed its contents with her elbow. Deep concentration took hold of her focus as she wrote and listened intently for the arrival of any intruding footsteps.

Her dorm wasn’t safe, the library wasn’t safe, nowhere was safe really of those most eager to pry into her business. But if there was one thing she’d learned from the run-in with her siblings, it was that diligence could help. No one would be snooping on this letter, at least not until she was ready for them to.

And that was precisely why she also sat at the Ravenclaw table; away from her relatives. She had to rely on their assumptions… and the blue jacket-hood currently covering her hair, to keep them firmly at bay.

Edited by Alayna Weasley

Idina Iordanau

It was all Idina could do not to roll her eyes at Ethan as he struggled his way through yet another battle with Ancient Runes. In fact, she didn’t even try to suppress the eye roll as she looked up from her Transfiguration essay, on which her handwriting was getting progressively tinier to avoid going over the three foot maximum length, and glared at @Ethan Smith. Not that he’d intentionally interrupted her, she just didn’t like feeling obligated to help.

”Pssst... Smith! Head Boy! You mixing up your Ehwaz and Eihwaz again?” Concerned, she furrowed her brow and moved closer. “Want some help?”

Yes, ladies and gentlemen of the wizarding community. Let it be known that Idina Iordanau had offered to help.

Prince A. Charming

Atticus looked up when Harmony spoke to him. It took a moment for him to register what she had said. "Oh, sure. What do you want me to cover?" He wasn't sure what subject she was asking him about. He had made flash cards for each class but they weren't helping him all that much. He was sure that he had some sort of block keeping him from learning anything at this school.

His mind and body seemed to be anti-magic. He didn't know what he was supposed to do about it, though. He had tried taking the advice that people gave him but it hadn't worked. Maybe he just wasn't meant to live in the magical world. Perhaps he was the person who would return to the muggle world and pretend that he had never stepped foot in the magical world.

Mason Fluke

Studying--not his favorite pastime anymore. Fluke found himself longing for fifth year again, when he had to worry about whether he was going to see the days after a Tri-Wizard task.

Alayna was wearing... his blue jacket. He's recognize that jacket anywhere. "I feel as though... if I sit down... I'm going to blow your cover," he said from behind her, trying to look as nonchalant as possible.

Alayna Weasley

Alayna’s guise was undoubtedly enough to keep the majority of her family away for a short while and that was all she needed really. She required just a pinch of time; enough to properly gather her thoughts and put them into words that made sense. The feat was a right and proper task for someone like her, but she was determined to do it before the hour was over. And then she’d summon some bravery… and send it away… and hope the outcome didn’t make her want to die on the inside.

The plan weaved through her mind just before the sound of Fluke’s voice startled her and she jumped a bit. “Fluke!” the redhead squeaked out, flush filling her cheeks with color. She reached out to quickly shut the book in front of her closed. “…is it already?”

Alecia Yates

Usually Alecia wasn't one that studied hard but since her Newts were coming up, it was important to get a good grade on all of them even though she had no idea what to do with her life. Joining the circus and traveling was a thing along with teaching others how to do extreme sports. So many options, so little time.

Another reason why Alecia needed to study was in order to keep her spot on the Gryffindor quidditch team. Somehow, she had been made a captain in her first and last year on the team. Apparently two years of seminars and practice were paying off. There had to be someone around to keep company in the Great Hall.

Then she spotted him. The head boy sitting by himself studying like a good little Hufflepuff. Thinking that he could use her help, Alecia sat down next to him and peered over his shoulder. "It looks like your ahead of the game. Isn't Runes next term?"

Jacqueline Frost

Fortunately for everyone who wanted to study, Jack wasn't in the Great Hall.

At least not initially.

And even if she had been she would have seemingly pretended to study if anything because she knew Ethan would be distracted with his own work to pay attention to her and while in the ideal world she would have been the one to walk over to the Head Boy and helped him with his homework, all she would have done was subtly stare. Not that Jack knew the definition of subtle, more like she would occasionally glance over towards the seventh year and forget to blink until something or someone seemed to notice and Jack would return her attention to what would have definitely been a blank canvas.

Good thing she wasn't there to do that. 

Unfortunately for everyone who wanted to study, Jack happened to be walking past the Great hall when she spotted Ethan's golddigging Gryfifndor stalker and the peace and tranquility was about to come to an end. 

Taking in a deep breath to prepare to put on the biggest scene (to date), she ran inside and towards the Hufflepuff table, desperate for @Ethan Smith's assistance. "ETHAAAAAAAAN! THERE ARE RATS EVERYWHERE IN THE COMMON ROOM AND THERE ARE CATS LOTS OF CATS I THINK IT'S THE CATS FROM THE DUELING CHAMBER CHAOS YOU HAVE TO HELP ME SAVE THE RATS!"

Cora Ives

End of life as she knew it, exams would finish her, existential dread for the future, etc. Cora felt like her days were a revolving door of the same worries and the same practices to try to break them and it was all becoming an incredibly stressful routine. Wake, study, classes, study, lunch, study, dinner, study

study

study

study

All Cora knew how to do anymore was read a textbook and practice the same spells over and over; when was the last time she'd seen the sun? Gotten a full night of sleep? Enjoyed a friends' company without the very concept of exams souring the entire experience? She was so over it, she thought as she settled in beside @Idina Iordanau to continue studying. Because, even if she wanted to escape, all of her friends were in the same hole she was. 

"You're a monster for not dropping classes," she said offhandedly to @Ethan Smith as she slouched into her seat and resolutely opened her Charms textbook, then closed it with a sigh seconds later. "Can we play a game instead of studying? Anything?" Like catching rats with their bare hands? Cora would rather that than this any day.

Ethan Smith

He was a bit shocked that @Idina Iordanau was sitting by him telling him that he mixed up the runes. He figured that he would have messed them up. It was something he always did. "Nothing new for me." He laughed and he went to fix it. "I could use some, but I don't know if it is going to help me." He has gotten helped before and still feels like this is one class he will know nothing about.

As he was looking at his book again, @Alecia Yates said something about being ahead of the game. "Runes is my worst, and studying it at anytime is just fine. I didn't think there was a rule of when studying was allowed." He didn't think that there was, he just figured that he would be able to study when he wanted to. Most times it is in the dorm when @Damien Belizaire wasn't there or in the library when he was able to find some time to himself.

And there was the loud screaming voice of one Jack Frost. He looked at her as she was screaming about rats and cats. Making a big scene in the great hall. Ethan almost went towards his wand to silence her but than he remember he was in the great hall and there were a lot of people around and even some younger students and that wasn't something he would be able to do. "Jack, quiet down, can't you see I am studying." Most times he would get up and help her.  "You can't handle a few cats on your own?"

He was going to say something when @Cora Ives asked about playing a game and the fact that he was taking all the classes. "I should have dropped some of the classes, I should have. I wished we could play a game but I don't think headmistress would like that." Looking around, he waited to see what Jack would do with him ignoring her,  not something that he did all the time.

Damaris Denton

“Merlin, that girl is so loud,” Damaris said to @Killian Dracel, covering her ears with her hands. “I’m half-tempted to silence her.”

Seeley Pichardo

Seeley didn't normally attend the study hall sessions in the great hall, for good reason.  Normally. she had patrol duties to attend to or a boyfriend that wanted attention but... @Desmond Potter was busy helping first years learn to ride their brooms and she had more then enough homework she needed to work on considering she was taking every. single. class. 

"Isn't a study hall supposed to be quiet?" She rolled her eyes and resisted the urge to direct her glare at Ethan (this disturbance was clearly his fault) and flipped open her arithmancy textbook with a loud thump.  

She was so far behind.  

Simon Reed

"Please do..." he muttered under his breath in response to the Slytherin Prefect across the way. Simon hadn't meant to audibly respond and found himself biting his lip, hoping he hadn't been heard. He returned his attention back his book, rubbing his eyes before re-reading the same sentence about palmistry for the fiftieth time that evening. It wasn't often he studied outside of his bedroom, but for some reason he'd been longing for a bit more company since his recent fall out with his best friend. 

Avery Potter

Study hall?

Surely they had enough time during the day for studying? Avery would much rather spend her time hunting for fairies, or looking for a dragon, or trying to find out how to get rid of the dolls in history of magic. As she skipped into the hall, Avery spotted @Harmony Granger-Weasleyand made her way towards her. "Harmony! Want to help me learn more about how to create a new shade of purple in a potion?"

Yes. 

She wanted to create a new shade of purple. 

Dream big people. 

Dorjee Shire Sherpa

Dorjee was frantic as he’d been practicing some Charms in an unused classroom and lost track of time. The Sherpa has missed dinner entirely and couldn’t afford to miss Study Hall, as it was valuable time to get input from those in his year on his troubles with DADA and dueling theories. Speed-walking, he made his way into the Great Hall with an arm load of books from the library and looked around for anybody not currently preoccupied with someone else.

”Simon,” he said as he walked over to the Ravenclaw and sat his books down in front of @Simon Reed. “I’m glad at least to see you here. I need help with some of the dueling stuff.”

Stella Peabody

Stella Peabody loved study hall.  Of course she did.  She loved the collective concentration of so many minds all focused on their different tasks, loved the sounds of quills scratching on parchment.  It reminded her of taking exams.  Only Stella would enjoy and seek to emulate the sensation of taking exams.

"Hey, Si, Dorjee," she said, taking a seat next to her two yearmates @Simon Reed and @Dorjee Shire Sherpa.  She noticed Simon's Divination textbook, which was open to a page about palmistry.

"Don't tell me you're going soft on me and actually taking palm reading seriously, Reed!" Mocking Divination with Simon was the only thing that made the class bearable.

"I want to focus on Potions today but maybe I should review Divination too...reckon we'll have a quiz or something on palmistry?" She asked anxiously.  

Harmony Granger-Weasley

"I was looking at water demons in Defense class, and making sure I had them down good. They can be tricky to memorize." Harmony responded to Atticus. "We could do a quick round of flash cards, I think. Wanna get started?" 

A few moments later, Avery asked if she wanted to help with her latest potions experiments. 

"That sounds awesome. After this round of flash cards, I've got to study for the Defense quiz. You can help us if you want, you're a third year so you already know about this. Also, check out Ralph's awesome stegosaurus!" She gestured towards the drawing that her friend was making. "It's pretty cool." 

Simon Reed

Simon slightly startled when he heard his name, half expecting to get in trouble for his snark but was glad to find Dorjee settling down in front of him. Boy was the Gryffindor a welcomed sight, at least he hadn't driven everyone in their year away. "Hey mate, take a seat." he encouraged as he pushed a few of his papers aside to make room but before he could ask what kind of dueling help he was seeking, Stella sidled up beside him. He grinned widely at her presence, something about her appearance made him feel as though he wasn't a completely lost cause.

He felt a bit more comfortable, but managed to refrain from giving her a hug before quickly replying, "Not a chance Stells. Just doing a quick review before diving into pyromancy. Did you know there are six types?" Of course she did. He'd be surprised if she hadn't already read the textbook once over. "Oi, maybe you could help Dorjee with dueling! You're way better at it than I am." he suggested, eyeing both of his classmates with much appreciation. "What was it that you were having troubles with?" 

Edited by Simon Reed

Wyatt Lazarus

Why he had decided to continue with transfiguration he had no idea. It wasn't as if he had enjoyed the last five years, it wasn't as though he was brilliant at practical magic. He had managed to drag himself from his potions lab, and find his way to the Great Hall in order to join civilisation. Whilst he looked around, he spotted a familiar head amongst the others and drew in a breath. 

He had started to piece together his friendship with Desmond. It was messy, it was complicated and he had no idea how they had even pieced it together. All what was left was to start speaking to her once more. Without any further hesitation Wyatt slowly made his way towards @Seeley Pichardoand sat down next to her. "Transfiguration is brutal this year."

Julian Pritchard

Julian didn’t usually stay at the Great Hall past dinner, not even for study hall. It was generally his preference to head to the library or go down to the duelling chamber to get some practice before bed. The book he was reading on the uses of the sticking charm, however, had proved to be fascinating, even more fascinating than Professor Quayle’s tale of cons during the class they’d had on the subject. He’d completely missed the end of dinner.

The fact that @Hazel Wheeler was sitting next to him, however, certainly had helped. He turned to glance at her, the corner of his mouth quirking up, before a commotion a few seats down the table had him craning his neck.

“Did @Dorjee Shire Sherpa say he needed duelling help?” He half-whispered to Hazel, torn between the wish to help and the existential dread forming in the pit of his stomach at the thought of interrupting a conversation with Simon.

Edited by Julian Pritchard
fixing some timey wimey stuff

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.