Sign in to follow this  
Seeley Pichardo

I'm sorry if I’m overstepping boundaries I don't mean to be

Seeley Pichardo

Mid-October, 2041

Seeley exhaled a frustrated sigh and slammed her palms against the book that lay open in her lap.  She was getting nowhere.  She had meditated for hours, trying to clear her head.  She had tried inside the castle, in her dorm... she had come out here to the lake like she used to thinking it would help, but still her mind raced. 

One word repeated over and over. 

Fail.  Fail.  Fail. 

What she was surely going to do to do when she finally reached the point of attempting her exam at the ministry.  It was still a long way off, but she just knew at this rate she would never succeed. 

Even Daisy had looked disappointed in her lack of progress.  

“UGH!” With a shout she flipped the book off her lap so hard it nearly flew clear into the water that ebbed against the rocks a few feet in front of her.  She glared at it, what good was it anyway?  She’d read it all from cover to cover more than a dozen times and knowing the spells and the methods couldn’t help solve her problem.  

Fletcher Barrow

The new school year had barely started and already Fletcher was feeling the pressure to keep up in classes. Even having dropped several of them his workload was getting quite heavy. It didn’t help that he’d spent the better part of four and a half years messing about and not taking things seriously. That doubled with the fact his father kept breathing down his neck about taking over the family potion brewing business had the sixth year feeling more than a little uneasy about what was to come over the next two years.

So Fletch did what he always did when he was feeling tense - he went outside. Nature had always been solace to him. That was the one thing that would never change, no matter what came his way. He knew the fresh air would always help him clear his mind.

He loosened his tie and took a deep breath in. The weather was decent enough for October. He didn’t worry about where he was going, he simply let his feet carry him to wherever they pleased. Eventually he wandered his way over to the lakefront. All was still, and he took the opportunity to close his eyes and take in the sounds. A few moments later and the peace was shattered by an oddly familiar cry of disgust in the distance.

Fletcher’s eyes flew open as he turned towards the sound. Despite the interruption he couldn’t help the small grin that began to form on his face. Seeley was always a sight for sore eyes, regardless of whatever mood she was in. He was used to her enough by now to know that whatever was bothering her probably wouldn’t last long. Seeley was resilient.

Seeing her fling a book, however, that was something new. Fletcher’s brows shot up in amusement as he approached. “Bloody hell, Seels. Did it bite you or something?” He nodded toward where the poor, disheveled book had landed. It wouldn’t be an uncommon experience at Hogwarts. He’d had even worse encounters with the reading material before. “I know homework is crap but it can’t be that bad.”

Seeley Pichardo

The problem was that Seeley was completely unwilling to inflict the full skull invasion that had been done on her to someone else and no matter how many times she told herself that this was all for learning and for the future success in her career - a dream that she'd had forever - she still couldn't get past her own memories.  

So fixated on her own frustration, Seeley hadn't noticed that her seclusion by the lakeside had been invaded.  The voice startled her, probably as much as her shout and violent toss of the book had startled whoever it was that was coming up behind her.  Very quickly though a smile replaced the sharp spark of annoyance that had passed across her face at being interrupted when she turned and laid eyes on Fletcher.  It wasn't a surprise to catch the slytherin outside, and though she hadn't found much time for her friend lately she was happy to see him now.  In fact, maybe a new opinion would give her a new outlook.   The hufflepuff drew in a deep breath.   

"No, that would have been easier to take care of." She huffed out a small puff of laughter and her fingers twitched towards her wand that was settled on the ground beside her as she looked from where Fletcher stood next to her and then towards where the book now lay several feet away.  She might have actually preferred the book getting physical, that was something she knew how to handle. 

"It's not homework though, not really." She admitted, still making no motion to get up and retrieve the book.  "It's more like independent study." She added with a sigh.   

Fletcher Barrow

There it was, that smile he loved seeing. It was good to know that whatever it was that was bothering her, her annoyance wasn’t going to be redirected at him. Not that Fletcher would have minded. Even being yelled at by Seeley felt like a more pleasant way to spend his time than going back inside to face his own life’s demons.

“Worse than a biting book, huh? Sounds rough.” Fletch took a seat on the ground next to the Hufflepuff and spread his legs out, leaning back. “I’m sure you’ll figure it out though. You always do. You’re a wee bit stubborn, in case you didn’t realize.” He flashed her a brief smirk before changing his expression to one of puzzlement when Seeley stated she wasn’t actually working on any homework.

“‘Independent study’? Is that a thing people really do?” The Slytherin grimaced. “I can’t imagine doing more work on top of what’s assigned. You know OWLs are over, right? You don’t have to try so hard anymore, Seels. You might try relaxing sometime instead. I’ve heard it’s nice.”

Running his hands over the ground, Fletcher dug around for a rock, examined it for a bit, and then chucked it out at the water. “So, you gonna tell me what this independent study is all about?” He looked over again at the book in curiosity. “Or do I have to find out myself?” Stuffing his hand into his pocket, he withdrew his wand and aimed for the book. “Accio!”

Seeley Pichardo

She hadn't planned on keeping her study of legilimency a secret, not really, although keeping secrets was certainly an easy thing for the hufflepuff to do.  But no, she'd been honest with @Desmond Potter from the start about her intentions to learn the skill and though he didn't like it, he'd accepted why.  On the other hand, Seeley hadn't exactly been advertising that she was doing it either and so it wasn't a surprise that Fletcher hadn't a clue what she was referring to.  

"Ha, have you been hanging around with the Professor?" She questioned, smiling, at the mention of being stubborn; a point that her father would have made on any given day in the middle of any given argument during the years.  Even he had shared his worries at the beginning of this undertaking but mostly because of what she'd kept hidden from him that had led to the urge to learn it.  Now however, Oliver Pichardo was nothing but supportive and that made it all the more frustrating when she couldn't seem to get it.  

"It's not really for any class." She continued trying to clear things up for Fletcher in the most winding way possible (really, she wasn't getting to the point at all).  Truthfully, she couldn't predict how Fletcher would react and that worried her.  He seemed so carefree in most things and had always been a good friend but he'd also seen her in the middle of her paranoia during the competition all those years ago, screaming at everyone to get out of her head.  She'd never talked about it, but the memory was still there.  "It's more personal." 

In the end, she was taking too long to get to the point and he had drawn his wand to summon the book.  She didn't stop him, allowing the slytherin to catch the book and read the cover.  "The ministry approved me to learn legilimency." 

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.