Jacqueline Frost

You've got to think things through in life, and...

Jacqueline Frost

Jack hadn't seen Malcolm since the incident of the morning, and while kissing her best friend wasn't something new, in the past she hadn't been carried away by the worst person on the planet. Still, if the crumb trail was any indication, she knew that Mal was nearby all she had to do was follow it. 

"What's with the crumb trail, Hansel and Gretel, need to find the way back home?" Jack joked, approaching her best friend.

Malcolm Mercer III

"I can't be both Hansel and  Gretel, they're two separate people," Malcolm muttered through a mouthful of muffin. He turned to look up at Jack, squinting against the light. "And I like muffins. They're the perfect food. You can eat them, put jam on them, put butter on them, throw them at people, stash them for later..."

He was rambling. About muffins. He offered her a muffin. "I see Ethan released you?"

Jacqueline Frost

"You can be whatever you want to be," Jack countered, shrugging. 

She wasn't going to argue about muffins being the perfect food. Although she preferred cupcakes, muffins were versatile enough to be a quick snack, a quick breakfast, or a late night meal. Shaking her head, Jack rejected the muffin. "I will pass. I'm pretty sure I've seen you use that same backpack since first year and I've never seen you clean it once." She wasn't about to start the year off by getting sick. 

At the mention of Ethan, she rolled her her eyes. "Oh no he didn't release me I escaped. He locked me in my dorm, I had to break a door or two to get out, had him chasing me around the castle. The usual. Actually, we had a heartfelt conversation. It was weird. He did lecture me though, said that I shouldn't be kissing people. That kissing is meant to happen between two people who like each other." 

Malcolm Mercer III

"I'm Malcolm Mercer the third, my hygiene is impeccable and my backpack goes in the laundry every time I wash my shirts. Or I find someone to scourgify it or something." It was true. He might not wear the right uniform all the time or pay good attention to things that he was supposed to do to ~uphold the Mercer Name~, but when it came to cleaning things, Malcolm Mercer didn't skimp. 

Shoving another muffin in his mouth, Malcolm raised both of his eyebrows at Jack and stopped chewing briefly when she started talking about the kissing. "Interesting," he said after she was done. He patted the ground next to him, inviting her to sit. "And what did you say to that? I'd be very interested in knowing what you said in response to that."

For science. He needed to know.

Jacqueline Frost

"Why is it interesting?" Jack queried, taking a seat next to her best friend. She was unsurprised by the fact that Mal wanted to know what she said, after all, they wouldn't have been having this conversation if she hadn't been the one to kiss him in public. She flicked her gaze away from him for a moment before meeting it again, a smirk on her lips. 

"What do you think I said?" 

Malcolm Mercer III

"Well, it's interesting, because now people will have questions. I mean, you saw the way Ethan threw you over his shoulder and hauled you off." Everyone saw that. How did anyone not see that? It happened in the middle of the Great Hall, and Jack called attention to herself, and made sure that people were looking -- he was pretty sure that he saw several hundred heads turn in their direction. 

And then something occurred to him. He turned to Jack, his frown deepening. "Did you... did you only kiss me to get on Ethan's nerves?"

Jacqueline Frost

"Sorry about that," Jack bit on her lower lip. "I didn't think it would get his attention if I just walked over to you and did it. I guess I didn't think it through or what it could mean for you. You're right people will probably have questions... have you been asked questions?" 

Other than Ethan, Jack hadn't had anyone else ask her about it but she figured that she wasn't the kind of person people could simply walk up to and start conversations with on those subjects. She was about to add another comment when Malcolm's question rendered her speechless. 

"I um..." Jack paused, staring at him for a long moment. "Yes and no. I knew it would get a reaction but... I also umm...I like kissing you."

Malcolm Mercer III

There weren't questions... yet , but Malcolm was sure that they would show up eventually. People were nosy as all get-out, and he knew that people were going to be all on this since it was ~gossip~ and gossip ran strong within the walls of Hogwarts. But he shook his head, running a hand through his hair and turning his attention back to the lake. "I haven't gotten any yet, but..." 

He didn't elaborate, though, because Jack was basically answering his questions before he could ask them. He locked gazes with her and waited for her to speak, but the last words out of her lips were what made him completely forget his train of thought. It made him forget all his thoughts, to be honest. 

"You... what?"

He blinked.

"You do?!"

Jacqueline Frost

"Don't make me say it again," Jack sighed, burying her face in her hands, deciding that she wanted to be abducted by aliens at that moment rather than meet Mal's gaze. She didn't know if she liked him in the way Ethan accused her of, but what she did know was that kissing Malcolm wasn't weird and it wasn't gross. Kissing Kent could have easily been listed high up on the list of Jack's terrible experiences but it was different with her best friend. 

Lifting her head again, she sighed again. "Yeah I do. You're my best friend and I like kissing you." 

Malcolm Mercer III

Malcolm pulled his lips in and stared out at the lake. His brain was completely Error 404-ing right now. Jack liked kissing him. That was... new. And cool. He supposed. He watched as she buried her face into her hands and couldn't stop the smile from spreading across his face at her obvious embarrassment. 

Pushing a shoulder gently into hers, Malcolm let out a sigh, a breath he didn't know he had been holding, and grinned at her. "Good thing, it'd be pretty awkward if you said that and then I was like 'gross, you're a gross kisser, my best friend is a gross kisser and I don't like kissing her." He raised both of his eyebrows. "Good thing it's not that and that I'm actually gonna say you're my best friend and I like kissing you, too."

Well. Now that that was done, he could ask another important question. "Does Ethan know that?"

Jacqueline Frost

Jack was relieved of her embarrassment when Malcolm admitted the feeling was mutual, a small grin tugging on her lips. "So we're best friends that like to kiss each other? How on earth did we end up in this situation." That was definitely not how a proper friendship was supposed to work, but Jack was never one for normal anything. 

Her family wasn't normal, she wasn't normal, it was obvious that her relationships with other people would end up being equally odd. 

"Ethan knows," She rolled her eyes, "but a better question is what are we going to do?" 

Malcolm Mercer III

What even was a normal friendship? Clearly, Malcolm didn't know. The friends that he'd had, he'd left in Switzerland when he came to Hogwarts, since he was sure none of them got a Hogwarts letter. If they had, they were doing an excellent job of hiding from him. 

What were they going to do?

"Well, first off, we're going to use this to our advantage to freak out both Wesley and Ethan. And we'll go from there. But also, can I hold your hand every once in a while? Because I think that would be fun, too."

Jacqueline Frost

What were they going to do, that was the question.

Jack raised an eyebrow at Malcolm's request but she wasn't opposed to it either. It was reasonable enough and if they wanted to freak out both Ethan and Wesley then they needed to be Extra™ about it. Wrecking havoc was always a great motivator to do something and she wasn't going to pass the opportunity up. If Malcolm wanted to hold her hand every once in a while, she was okay with that. 

"Okay but only if I can wear your hoodies sometimes, because they're warm. And that would be fun too." 

Malcolm Mercer III

Malcolm grinned. "That seems like a decent deal. Here."

He shrugged off his hoodie and handed it to her -- again, NASA themed, because... well, there was a theme with his outfit, but he was willing to sacrifice some of his aesthetic so Jack could have some of his hoodies. "This one's the newest, I just got it before the school year started. So it's still got alllll of the fuzz."

He held it out to her, grinning. "Want to go get some pumpkin juice from the kitchens?"

Jacqueline Frost

"We have a deal then," she grinned, gently nudging Malcolm's shoulder with her own. 

While she had negotiated Mal's hoodies in their deal, she wasn't expecting him to give her the one he wore, especially because it was the piece that completed the space-themed outfit. Uniforms and dress codes be damned, Mal liked Space™. 

"How do I look?" She wondered, grinning widely. "And don't say it looked better on you, we're not establishing facts here." 

Jokes aside, it was getting closer to dinner time and that was an opportunity to get the best food available in the kitchens. "Okay," Jack stood from her spot on the lawn and stretched her hand out for Mal to take. "Lead the way." 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.