Sign in to follow this  
Rosie Ferranti

An opportunity

Rosie Ferranti

Rosie gasped.

It was breakfast at the Hufflepuff table and she was reading the Daily Prophet

Werewolf. Pen pals.

They were advertising for people to become pen pals with real werewolves!

Ever since their Care of Magical Creatures lesson with @Professor Qin, Rosie had been thinking about part-humans and part-creatures, beings who were classified one way and treated completely differently from 'normal' people. She didn't agree with how they were treated and how people looked down on them just because they were different but what could she do as a little Hufflepuff girl at Hogwarts? Not much, or so she'd thought, but here was an opportunity!

She could talk to a werewolf and try and understand their situation a little better and then maybe she could find a way to convince other people to do the same? Looking up from the advert in the Daily Prophet for the pen pal programme, Rosie wondered if she could convince any of her peers to join her in writing to them. She looked around for a possible helper. 

Simon Reed

Simon didn't really have a whole lot of time for recreational reading nowadays. A real shame, since he was pretty sure he was missing out on a few, if not many sequels, to a few of his favorite installments... Actually he rarely had time to do much of anything except attend the odd duel once a blue moon and bury himself in homework. His own fault really. He should have just picked a few electives rather than all of them, and now he was paying for it. He straddled the bench of the Slytherin house table (abandoned by Aurora some time ago), nose deep in a text book about Runic Families and biting particularly tart apple when an audible gasp garnered his attention. 

He noticed a timid Hufflepuff from his year, Rosie, staring intently at the Daily Prophet. His father had always said the paper was crock full of crap, and yet he insisted on reading it. He wondered what article had made such an impression, it was probably more interesting than Runic Families. 

"Prophet finally have something worth reading?" he inquired after picking up his things and relocating to the Hufflepuff table. 

Rosie Ferranti

"Simon!" said Rosie enthusiastically - as enthusiastically as she was about everything all the time, always. "Have you seen this?"

She waved the newspaper around in front of him, flapping it in such a way it was impossible for him to actually see the page she was showing him. "It says werewolves!" She finally stopped shaking the newspaper long enough to hold it still in one place in front of her face, poking at the advert section with her finger. "Look!"

Poking her head over the top of the newspaper, she said looked at him seriously and said, "Do you think I could get one?"

Simon Reed

He unceremoniously dropped everything down on the clear part of the table and shook his head, eyes erratically attempting to follow the flapping headline in front of him in hopes of catching even a syllable.  The newspaper finally stilled, though Rosie finally provided him with an answer before he even tried to read the article. "Werewolves?" his eyes widened and his brows nearly reached his hairline. Was there one nearby? On the lose? Dangerous and out for blood?

The Ravenclaw took a seat next to the girl and snorted slightly at the thought of 'obtaining' a werewolf. T'was a joke right? He looked at her face and noted the sincerity in her tone of voice and quickly cleared his throat. "Erm... don't think that's legal Rosie. What does the article say anyway? Has there been an attack?" 

Rosie Ferranti

Simon responded with the appropriate amount of urgency and excitement, dropping everything down on the clear part of the table. Rosie beamed at him from behind the newspaper she was still holding. "Werewolves!" she echoed, excited. 

She lowered the newspaper as he moved to take a seat next to her and wondered if maybe they were going to bond over this. Rosie didn't know Simon all that well, though she knew his housemate Julian quite a bit. Simon had always seemed nice to her - a potential friend?? She made sure to smile at him extra sparkly-like, showing both of her dimples. The expression wavered slightly when he suggested that perhaps the article wasn't legal.

"What?" She looked down at the newspaper article (upside down) in her hands, then back up at him. "There hasn't been an attack, it's just this sanctuary thing, where werewolves live because people are mean. It's asking for people to be penpals! I'd make a great penpal, don't you think?" She looked glum abruptly. "It must be hard, being a werewolf. I bet they struggle to make friends sometimes."

Simon Reed

He had definitely misunderstood the girl. He'd thought she had wanted to adopt a werewolf, not join a pen-pal programme. "Oh! You mean the reserve? I've heard of it, Tath Conch? Taith Coth? Something like that..." he trailed off, resting an elbow on the table and his head in his hand, his body still turned towards the Hufflepuff with interest. He continued eyeing the newspaper to confirm the sanctuaries name and perhaps get to actually read the article himself but his attempts were moot. The girl never stopped moving did she? Not that he knew much about her, after all he'd only been interested in one particular Hufflepuff until this last year. This was probably their first proper chat now that he thought about it. 

"Cheer up Rosie, I bet you're just the sort they're looking for!" he quickly supplied as soon as he saw her face fall, he'd never met somebody so severely empathetic that just the thought of somebody else having a bad time would alter their own mood. Simon reached out and softly patted her shoulder, "It's probably a good sign that something like this is coming about. Right? People are making more of an effort to befriend them... What would you write to them about anyway?" 

Rosie Ferranti

"You think so?" Rosie asked, sounding startled that someone would think she was a good option for something. Usually Rosie was the last option for things, being not very smart or very athletic or very pretty. There were always better options. Simon however thought she was a good option for being a penpal for a werewolf who just needed someone to be kind!

She nodded along to Simon's thoughts that this was a good sign this kind of thing was happening. "Yeah, especially after some of the stuff in the past. It doesn't seem right, to judge a whole race just because of something some people did - and even - even Galen Ward, he didn't mean it. I don't think any of them mean it, when they turn. It's not their fault, you know?" And Rosie would know all about making mistakes, she made loads, all the time.

As for what she'd write to them about, Rosie frowned in thought and went, "Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm." What would she write about? They were probably sick of talking about werewolf stuff. "Probably Hogwarts! I'd tell them all about everyone here and what they're up to. How nice people are, funny stories, gossip, you know? Stuff like that. Do you think they'd want to know that? I don't really have interesting stuff in my own life, I think that'd be boring. Oh! I could send them flowers from the grounds and like, bits from potions class? Not the gooey stuff obviously or dangerous things, but cool little bits. What do you think?"

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.