Dane Golden-Keisi

Lonely or alone?

Dane Golden-Keisi

Dane found the foreign students fascinating. He spent a lot of time reading up on psychology and he was interested to see if what he had read was true. He had read about how location and upbringing could help determine one’s personality. He thought this mostly held true but he had only been able to test it against other students at Hogwarts who (mostly) came from the same areas. But now he had a bigger pool to learn from! He was excited and he had taken the time to watch the foreign students.

So far, he hadn’t spoken to any. He was waiting for appropriate times and he also didn’t want to only treat them as test subjects. They were humans and he wanted to get to know them as friends too. But when he saw one Durmstrang girl alone most of the time, he felt the need to talk to her earlier than the rest. He didn’t know why she spent so much time alone but it made him sad. He also spent a lot of time alone and while he preferred that most of the time, it could be lonely occasionally.

“Hello,” he said, approaching the girl by the lake. “I don’t know how good your English is but I noticed you’re alone a lot and I wondered if you needed a friend.” He held his hand out to her and smiled. “I’m Dane, by the way.” He probably should have started with that but it was too late now. He was incredibly socially awkward and it wasn’t likely to ever change.

Ottalia Ivarsson

It would be a lie to say that she wasn’t a little bit disappointed to not be chosen as a champion. Ottalia had come here without a care what her family thought and wanted to prove her peers wrong. It seemed for a brief moment that other night like all of this was for nothing. Her family would probably whine about how Mikael would have been chosen if Ottalia hadn’t stolen his spot. Her peers that had come along were surprisingly alright. None of them had mocked her for not being chosen, probably due to many of them not being picked as well. She was sure that if caught alone with Wil, that would be another case however.

Thankfully she was used to adapting to whatever situation was handled to her. And she quickly realized that this wasn’t for nothing. She was chosen to come here for a reason even if the fates decided that she wasn’t meant to compete. The Durmstrang students that were picked by the Goblet of Fire were extremely worthy of being their schools contenders. They were definitely four peers she would not want to get on the bad side of. She thought they were deserving of her support and praise. So, she was content in that aspect at least. She just needed to work on other goals she had by coming to Hogwarts.

She had hoped that a year away would be her chance to do something differently. Yet here Lia was lurking behind the rest, keeping to herself and not branching out like usual. ‘I’m just going to come home with many stories about how lovely the Hogwarts lake is and nothing else’ She thought to herself with a snort. Although she had seemed alarmed by the person approaching her at first, she would admit it was nice to have some company.

Oh my, was she that bad and noticeable? Her mouth dropped just a little. “Ah. OK.” She nodded. English was not her first language but it important to her family to learn a few. It was one she learned at a young age which people said was a good thing, it was not her best language of course. “Thank you.” The red head added. “I’m Ottalia.” She shook his hand. “Ah you are in the blue … house? What is it’s name again?” Of course, her parents had many ‘lessons’ over the years to teach her older siblings about the ‘enemy’ schools. There had been mentions of separate houses within he schools.

Dane Golden-Keisi

He might not have thought this through completely. What if this girl didn’t speak any English? What if she wanted to be alone? Dane was not great at social interaction so he hadn’t thought about all sides before he had gone up to the Durmstrang student. It was too late now, though! She had to have heard him and he couldn’t just run off. That would make it worse and he didn’t want to hurt her feelings. He never wanted to hurt anyone’s feelings.

Luckily, she seemed nice enough. He was relieved and he decided to sit down on the ground near her. “It’s called Ravenclaw. It’s said that Ravenclaws tend to be studious, witty, knowledgeable… creative.” He shrugged and then said, “I read that Durmstrang doesn’t have houses. I’m sure that makes it so you are more harmonious as a school.” Crap. What if she didn’t know what that word was? “I mean… I’m sure it makes you more team-like…” Is that what he meant?

Social interaction was hard.

He coughed and thought about what to say next. “So how do you like Hogwarts and Scotland so far?” That seemed like an easy question to answer, right? He hoped so. He was in over his head. He should have interacted with his peers more because he didn’t know what to do or say. He felt like she was going to run away since he was clearly weird. And then she’d make fun of him. This was a bad idea. He should have known better.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.