Sign in to follow this  
Clarissa Perenge

Ignoring your friends isn't very nice

Clarissa Perenge

Clarissa gazed out into the lake. It really was pretty during the day time. She was so lucky to be at Hogwarts. She'd been fantasizing for a year what it would be like to gaze out at this lake. She'd seen several pictures of it from the various adults in her life. When Alyssa's father had turned seventeen, they'd been allowed to have a lake party for his seventeenth birthday. There were so many pictures from that night. One of her favourite pictures of her godparents was one where they were hugging and gazing towards the lake while fireworks burst overhead. It looked so romantic, and Clarissa hoped someday she would find that with somebody.

Seeing the lake in person was even better than in pictures however. She'd been out here several times already. Only once had it been bad, and it was when that nasty prefect had shoved her into the lake. Her second time out here had been even better. Her mentor had taken her out here to feed the giant squid. She'd come out here a few more times after that just to stare out at it. She had a feeling this was going to be her favourite place at Hogwarts. It was this place she'd chosen to have a talk with Alyssa. So far, her friend had been avoiding her. There were times when she wouldn't even give her eye contact, and Clarissa was fed up with it. She'd been ignoring her ever since sorting night, and she'd even sent her a message telling her that this was unacceptable but Alyssa had just taken it as a joke.

Friends didn't ignore each other like this. She was fed up, and she and Alyssa needed to have a very long talk.

Alyssa Hoofer

Alyssa made her way out to the lake slowly. She didn't want to come out here and listen to Clarissa complain. She'd been avoiding her as much as possible since the Welcoming Feast. Once again, Clarissa had called her ugly, and she'd done it in front of a bunch of first years. 

Sure, she'd knocked a goblet of pumpkin juice in Clarissa's lap, but she was being a brat as usual. She'd thrown a chicken wing at the back of her head, and she'd wanted Alyssa to take her side when clearly she'd done something to anger the other first years. No way was Alyssa going to stick up for her when clearly Clarissa had been in the wrong.

Now Clarissa was sending her multiple messages, and she'd called her ugly publically again! She was dreading this meeting with her childhood friend. So she took her time making her way out to the small blond figure out by the lake. Once she reached Clarissa's side, she didn't speak right away.

"So?" Alyssa finally asked.

Clarissa Perenge

Clarissa turned and looked up at Alyssa furiously.

"So? You've been avoiding me. This wasn't what it was supposed to be like when we came to Hogwarts! We were supposed to be like our mum's! We were supposed to hang out everyday, and look out for each other! We're supposed to be in the same year and house and we're supposed to have the same friends! You've chosen friends who don't like me and YOU SHOULD HAVE WAITED A YEAR!" Clarissa shouted the last bit. "We were supposed to come here and finish together! Fail your second year so we can be in the same year Alyssa Hoofer! And stick up for me next time! You didn't stick up for me when the first year Slytherins were attacking me for no reason. That is what friends are supposed to do! All you did was knock pumpkin juice in my lap!"

Clarissa was embarrassed that tears had entered her eyes. She was so tired of everyone being against her. Nothing was going her way and she was fed up!

Alyssa Hoofer

Alyssa couldn't help but roll her eyes at Clarissa's outburst. How was it that she expected that everything should always go her way. Nothing really had ever gone her way, and yet she always expected it. She always got demanding for things to happen her way, and if they didn't, she threw a temper-tantrum. She should have been used to the fact that she wasn't always going to get what she wanted, and yet she wasn't. She didn't understand how Clarissa had turned out the way she had. She knew Clarissa's parents were very hard on her, especially when she gave attitude. So it didn't make sense why Clarissa acted like a spoiled princess all the time.

"I can't stick up for you when you were clearly in the wrong," Alyssa told Clarissa. "What exactly happened sorting night anyway? You were covered in food more than the other first years, and you asked me to come and help. You obviously said or did something to anger the other first years. Besides, you threw a chicken wing at me, and I told you to stop calling me ugly!" Alyssa added the last bit angrily. "You told me you would stop, so just knock it off! I am not warning you about that again!"

And she thought about the rest of what Clarissa had said. Did she honestly think that Alyssa would fail just so they could be in the same year? Was she really serious at the moment?

"I'm not failing my second year either!" Alyssa said angrily. "Clarissa, I was old enough to come last year, so I came. You weren't, and it's time you got over that. You've spent the last year complaining about it. You weren't eleven by September first. It works that way for every witch and wizard, and that is absolutely no one's fault! That's just the way it is and crying about it won't change anything."

She took a deep breath before continuing.

"Clarissa, if you don't stop with this attitude, you are going to be completely friendless. No one is ever going to like you. Don't you ever stop and think that there are consequences to your actions!? You keep angering everyone, even your own parents and you act like they are the problem. Why can't you just look in the mirror and see that it's you who is the problem and not everyone else! To be honest, I dread hanging out with you and it's why I've avoided you."

Clarissa Perenge

"I didn't do anything wrong sorting night!" Clarissa said angrily. "I only said what everyone else was thinking. That weird part goblin girl ate butter and all I said was that it was gross. Everyone flipped out and they threw food at me! I called you over to help and you refused. All you did was knock pumpkin juice in my lap! Everyone likes to act self-righteous when they really aren't! I called you ugly because you betrayed me!"

Clarissa bent down and picked up a stone and tossed it out into the lake as hard as she could. She'd never been able to skip stones before, but for the first time in her life, she watched as the stone bounced several times before it finally sunk. She turned and glared up at Alyssa again.

"Of course you're not willing to fail for me," she hissed. "You are nothing but a selfish person. You are just jealous of me because I am very beautiful and I am smarter. I am everything you want to be but never can be. You're also freakishly tall! That's why you won't help me and that's why you think I am the problem! It's not me that's the problem. It's never me. Everyone is just too sensitive and they get offended easily. The reason you won't look in the mirror to see the real you is because it will scream and shatter. You are the ugliest witch ever! You only get uglier and I bet you never have boyfriends. You're going to end up alone with a bunch of cats!" Clarissa spat out. "I'm the only person who is there for you! So stop excluding me and don't dread seeing me! I am the best thing in your life Alyssa Hoofer!"

Edited by Clarissa Perenge

Alyssa Hoofer

What happened next, surprised even Alyssa. She didn't even think to reach for her wand. All she knew was that her hand had connected hard with Clarissa's face. The sound echoed around them. Alyssa had never hit anyone in her life. Not even when William and Cameron became too much had she ever thought to hit them. And yet, she'd just hit her lifelong friend.

All the pent-up anger that she'd had toward Clarissa for the past years had come out in that one slap. The two girls stared at each other. Clarissa had a fury temper, and yet all she did was stare up at Alyssa with tears streaming down her face. Alyssa wondered if she even knew that she was crying. She watched as Clarissa reached up and touched her now very red cheek.

"I can't do this anymore," Alyssa finally said and realized she too was crying. "I can't be your friend anymore. I don't want to be your friend anymore. All you've given me for at least two years now is just stress," her voice broke, and she looked away towards the lake. "I'm sorry I slapped you. I don't know what came over me, but I can't talk to you or hang out with you anymore. If you need to tell on me, go ahead. I deserve a detention."

She turned to walk off, crying even harder now. She'd done it. She'd ended her friendship with Clarissa, and she wasn't sure how to feel about it. She was still expecting for Clarissa to come at her, but for once, she didn't.

Clarissa Perenge

Clarissa was shaking. Alyssa had hit her. Alyssa, who had been her best friend since the day she was born had hit her. Clarissa didn't know what to do. All she could do was stand and stare at her friend, who went on and ended their friendship. She was too shocked to even think of hitting her back, or to grab her wand and hex her former friend with the spells she knew. And before she could snap out of it, Alyssa was walking away. Clarissa considered following after her but she couldn't move.

She stood watching as Alyssa went off slowly. She could catch up if she wanted to, but her legs weren't working for some reason. She sank to the ground instead. She was sobbing hard without even realizing it. Not only from the sting from her cheek, but from the fact that she'd lost her only friend in the world. She buried her face in her hands and really let go. Everyone was against her, and for no reason. Even Alyssa was. Alyssa had turned against her for no reason and had ended everything.

After crying for about five minutes, she stood up again. She didn't care that there were grass stains on her knees. She'd come up with a plan. She would write to her parents and Alyssa's parents. They would force Alyssa to be her friend again. She would tell them how Alyssa had ended things for no reason at all. And perhaps she would tell a prefect as well about what Alyssa had done. She was right, she did deserve a detention.  She should have all her privileges taken away for slapping an innocent first year for no reason!

Fin

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.