Sign in to follow this  
Veronica Dursley

NO, REALLY, DID WE JUST BECOME BEST FRIENDS?!?!?

Veronica Dursley

Another holiday had come and gone for the young Gryffindor. It had been a much quieter than last year’s holiday were she had ended up in Liechtenstein with her grandparents, but nonetheless it was more enjoyable as she was slowly trying to get through her mind that magic wasn’t necessarily evil.  She had been progressing on learning German that she had started learning when she was there.

She had come a long way, but the thirteen-year-old still had some trouble with a few words. Though, she had meet a couple of people during the sleepover earlier in the year and it seemed that she was definitely starting to not be as much of a loner as she had once been. She had seemingly alienated herself from her entire year last year because of her quest to get expelled from school, but the quest for expulsion had ended after a long conversation with her maternal grandparents over the summer.

She stared out at the lake as she had her wand in her hand, something that she would never have done before now. Last year, she had been forced to do duels, but she’d only wear gloves or have a pair of tongs to hold the wand. Half the time she had carried it in a plastic bag; even after Killian had given her a holster. Things definitely changed and she couldn’t be happier; though she could definitely use friends.

She looked up and saw one of the girls she remembered from the sleepover in the unused classroom, “Hey! Arabella, right?”

Arabella Jones

It had finally happened: Arabella had managed to completely isolate herself from the rest of her year. Other than Chuck and Casper, she didn’t really talk to anyone. She got along with Damaris better than any of the other second year Slytherins, and that was perhaps because her dormmate got along better with her than the others.

It was all a rather convulted mess, as far as Arabella was concerned.

In that vein, Lindy’s sleepover had been a pleasant change. Somehow, the stoic Slytherin had ended up spending an entire night with her fellow second years - and no one had died. It was a Hogwarts miracle, certainly, but Arabella was suddenly hungry for further interaction with the girls. Staying despondent had never been the easiest thing for her, and with just one shot, she found herself yearning for friendship.

A voice pulled her out of her thoughts, as she made her way towards the lake - why there was a giant lake in the middle of a school was a complete mystery to the second year. She recognised the other girl as one of the sleepover attendees. Arabella didn’t immediately recall her name, but she approached her anyways. “Um, hey,” she said, softly. “Dursley?” She asked, as the name suddenly sprang forth.

She turned towards the lake and asked the one question currently stuck in her mind. “Why is there a lake here?”

Veronica Dursley

Her thoughts had drifted from her grandparents to rumors she had heard about her brother back home. Something in her mind had told her that it was of course likely true, but maybe that was just because of the heritage her mother had hidden away. Perhaps Vernon was magical like she was, but that definitely would mean that he would becoming to Hogwarts soon; or if David would send him to live with their grandfather, Dudley, like he had sent her.

Her thoughts obviously were cut short by her earlier greeting to the Slytherin girl, Arabella, whom seemed to have only remembered her last name. Ugh, that last name was going to haunted her for the rest of her life because it was cursed with the name of the man who locked the great hero away under a cupboard for most of his childhood. A trait that had seemingly skipped a generation, but was again picked up by her father.

“Please, Vernie is fine,” she mustered, “I really would rather not be associated with that last name.”

She sighed and looked up towards the lake and then at the Slytherin, “I don’t know. I could perhaps write my grandfather and he could contact Harry Potter to see if he knows. Or maybe I could see if my cousin knows,” she paused stifling a laugh, “He definitely wouldn’t know. Last I heard he is still having trouble staying awake in class.”

Arabella Jones

The lake was certainly a mystery that Arabella had to resolve, even if it was just to sate her own curiosity. There was something peculiar about it. It wasn’t that Arabella wasn’t used to such extravagance - she had grown up with it, after all. Instead, it was the fact that it seemed completely out of place in a school for magic.

The Slytherin figured she was waiting for flying swans to suddenly emerge from its depths, but that seemed ridiculous. She wasn’t even sure if swans possessed the ability to fly.

”Oh,” she said, softly, when the other second year expressed displeasure at the sound of her surname. “I’m sorry.” Curiosity bubbled up inside Arabella as she wondered what was hidden in the depths of the Gryffindor’s family history, but she knew what it was like to hide away certain secrets about one’s origins. She would never even dream of telling a complete stranger about her absent mother.

”Who’s Harry Potter?” She asked, frowning. The name sounded familiar, but Arabella couldn’t quite place it. Maybe it was the name of one of the founders of Hogwarts, and it had simply slipped away from her History of Magic notes. She really hoped Professor Grimsby wouldn’t find out about her indiscretion. “We should go on an adventure to find out for ourselves,” she said, suddenly, grinning wide at the other girl.

If Arabella had learnt anything from her father, it was how to get people to do as she wanted.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.