Sign in to follow this  
Mason Fluke

Starships were meant to fly

Mason Fluke

Fluke was standing out by the lake, frozen in all its glory, wearing his thick Ravenclaw cloak and scarf. Fluke had house pride now. He could afford house pride! Sometimes, when he thought about it, he wasn't sure this was real. There was footfalls, crunching in the snow behind him as someone approached. He didn't need to turn to know it was Alayna. After all, it was hardly like @Alecia Yates would come to say hello to him without Alayna at her side...

"Thought you'd be deep in strategizing territory," he mused. His time with her was always so precious, and seemingly fleeting. "Missed you at breakfast."

Alayna Weasley

The mornings before Quidditch matches were always stressful. The pressure to win was strong, not only because her captains were practically clawing to get their hands on another cup, but because she was going to be facing her cousin too. Alayna’d woken bright and early that morning, before the sun had even fully risen, to get another practice session in before the big game. And then the instant she was able to get a small break, she pulled away.

That was when she winded up roaming absentmindedly across the lawns and spotted Fluke strolling ahead of her. “I know what I’m supposed to do” she replied as she stepped up beside him. She reached forward to take his hand. “Sorry. Linus gets… upset if anyone skips out on practice. You’ll be at the game later, right?”

Mason Fluke

He looked down at their hands when she had linked their fingers together. The sun shining over the lake was warming in the cold. "I've never missed your games," Fluke told her with a smile. "Not about to start now. I just don't like that you always end up in the medical tent, and I'm not allowed in there. Are you nervous?"

Alayna Weasley

A frown pulled the corners of her lips downward. "I don't always end up in the medical tent" Alayna protested. Such might've been the case more times than not when she played chaser, but not always...

She shrugged her shoulders. "I'm okay. Told Desmond that if he plays, we'll beat him, so... I guess now we have to."

Mason Fluke

"You end up there enough," he muttered, because she knew it was true. Come on now. "I don't like it." In fact, he wasn't the biggest fan of Quidditched in general because of how dangerous it seemed to be. "I wish I had a good luck charm to give you," he added ruefully, and pulled her in under his cloak, to shelter them both from the chilled air. Chances are, a good luck charm from @Ryan Buratsche would be far more lucky, though. The thought saddened him a little, but Ryan always seemed to have better luck than Fluke. Ryan at least had a name that was his own.

"Will you have time to hang out later?" he wondered. "Just us?" He was so tired of sharing.

Alayna Weasley

She knew quite well that Fluke was no fan of Quidditch, but she’d never had much of a choice in playing it. Not really. Her father had held some fairly tough expectations for her from the start and now it was just… a part of her. She didn’t really know what she’d do if there wasn’t Quidditch and dueling to keep her mind distracted from less pleasant things. But ‘distractions’ could come in many forms- and there were no doubts the Ravenclaw would rather her do something else. “I won’t get hurt” the redhead insisted. She shifted to give Fluke a sideways glance. “I’ll be okay. I promise. And hey- at least I won’t have to punch any crocodiles?”

She gave a small laugh at that. It’d been absolutely horrifying the one and only time she’d had to do that and she could only imagine what Fluke must’ve been like watching it. But she was still alive now, wasn’t she? She was fine. And she’d be fine still later that night. Probably.

“…I can make time for you later, yeah. Is there anything specific you wanna do?”

Mason Fluke

"Do you have to remind me?" he asked her, seriously. Because CROCODILES?! What was wrong with this bloody school? The world was such a messed up place, and school wasn't supposed to be one of those places where that sort of stuff happened.

"Nothing specific," he shrugged. "I just want to spend time with you...? But, not if it's too much. I know you're busy and all. You probably want to duel." He didn't. She probably wanted to hang out with Ryan, and he sure as hell didn't. Ugh. Alayna was so complicated, but he was pretty sure he knew where he fell in her list of priorities.

"It's nothing. I just had some questions about this new iwiz thing I got for Christmas. I'll figure it out." Backtracking at its finest, right?

"Getting close to game time."

Alayna Weasley

It was still an adjustment to try and find time for everything in her life. She hadn’t any choice but to attend Quidditch practices whenever Linus and Al scheduled them and she had to make room between those to prepare for the upcoming dueling tournament too. But her friends were just as important and Fluke… she might’ve been completely inept at handling most social matters, but she couldn’t let the ball drop with him. He and Ryan both had endured such difficult pasts, but the Ravenclaw seemed especially sensitive to the fact. And shehad to be there for him.

“…why would it be ‘too much’ for me to spend time with you?” Alayna questioned with a raised eyebrow. She stopped walking to turn and look properly at him. “Fluke, that’s just dumb. Stop it.” She reached forward then to flick him in the arm with her free hand- because she could. “I’ll meet you outside the locker rooms after the game? And then you can show me what you’re having trouble with.”

Mason Fluke

"Sorry," he mumbled. Merlin, it had been four years now, and he was still having a difficult time with the concept of friendship and whatever this was that was brewing between them. Never before has he felt so much desire to hang out with one person. Usually, he tried to avoid them.

Somehow, Alayna entered his life and it was all turned on its head. He was in the middle of the ocean and he didn't even know how to swim (no seriously... FLUKE DIDN'T KNOW HOW TO SWIM). His friendship with Alayna was an ocean, and he was sinking, overwhelmed by the waves that consistently crashed and beat against him.

He flicked her back, because, ow, and she could take it. "I'm having trouble with all the songs making sense," he blurted out. The time had come for them to part ways. Her to be the star of this Quidditch game and to trounce that Desmond fellow, and he to sport a Gryffindor foam finger to cheer her on.

The songs made sense.

And he leaned in to give her a kiss. Not a peck, either. But a kiss, as real as the one they shared when they were locked in the basement of her family's joke shop.

"Good luck."

Alayna Weasley

Never could she understand why Fluke always seemed to think the other things in her life took precedence over him. She might’ve been absolutely horrid at balancing it all properly, but the last thing she ever wanted to do was abandon him; leave him alone with no one to hang with while her teammates pranced around her acting like a bunch of loons. She cared about him, didn’t he get that yet? She had to have told him at least fifty times. Yet still that look of disappointment was there and she had to wipe it away again.

“What do you mean?” she asked him, honestly curious. “Like… you don’t understand them?”

He never provided her with an answer. Instead, he leaned forward and before such a silly thing as sensible thought chimed in- they weren’t exactly in a private place, after all- he was kissing her. And she was kissing back.

She didn’t need a mirror to know she was blushing terribly when they parted, but Alayna didn’t care. She might’ve been smirking like some kind of dork too, but she didn’t care about that either.

Remember- the locker rooms. Right after, okay?” She leaned forward to give him a hug for good measure. “I’ll be waiting for you.”

And then Alayna left to return to her team, but not before offering him one last wave. “See you.”

~fin

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.