Sign in to follow this  
Jack Rodgers

Wilderness is not a luxury but necessity of the human spirit

Jack Rodgers

It was cold outside. It was nearly Christmas. But it didn't stop Jacky going outside. He simply put on his matching hat and scarf that his Granny had knit for him and braved the elements. Even if the woollen hat did make his head too hot after not long at all really, when paired with his mop of curls. Some still stuck out from under the rim of the bobble hat, but most was shoved in the hat.  

He was frowning and scratching at his head as he walked along. He frowned more when he realised the lake was frozen over "Oh" He couldn't help but think of all the creatures stuck in there. He didn't like that. 

He tried not to think of it as he spotted one of the Slytherin girls from his year. He paused on the spot, jiggling his leg in an effort to keep himself warm. As a rule he didn't like Slytherins. His two biggest pet peeves were Slytherins. But maybe he'd try be more open. After all Arabella was nice. Maybe he wasn't 'that gross boy that peed his pants that one time in the great hall' to everyone. 

He decided to bite the bullet and bounce her way anyway "Hey Maggie!" He was nervous as be damned that she was going to tell the weird boy to get stuffed, but he forced a grin out anyway. 

Maggie Sinclair

Just like Jack, Maggie had decided the castle was entirely too stuffy for a day like this, and despite the frigid temperatures of the day, that she too would layer up, find a nice spot on a bench that didn’t include the likes of douchey Damaris Denton and her clutch of frackboys™ and spend a few hours enjoying the winter wonderland that was the grounds of her boarding school.

She’d planned it all out.

See, first she was going to maybe try her hand at snow angels, and then, once she got bored of that, she’d get lost in one of the many articles of the dueling magazine she’d begged her dad to subscribe to. Sure it wasn’t exactly pre-teen witch reading material, but she had a score to settle, and idle time could be used to not only be a lazy blob but enrich her mind and skill-set while she was at it.

The plan, as it stood was promptly interrupted by a voice that sounded entirely too cheerful to be anyone who intended to make her day hell, so she waved away uncertainly and squinted until the face became familiar enough for her to crack a smile. Ah, Jack. The live action version of her stuffed unicorn.

It was true she didn’t know him too well, as she’d been dodging her own demons the past school year, but she recalled the vileness of their classmates at the accident he’d had in the great hall and how she’d shoved several people aside to help before he fled in embarrassment. But that didn’t mean she couldn’t get to know him. Especially on a day like this. I mean, who couldn’t do with a bit of fun in the snow? Reading up on dueling things could come later, couldn’t it? Also, and she’d never admit this to anyone, ever. But Jack reminded her of her brother. A less annoying, more susceptible to suggestion and possibly buying her sweets version of him anyway.

What wasn’t to like?

“Jack! Have you been alright?” she asked before blowing into her gloved hands. It was frightfully cold.  “I like your hat.” She told him, reaching out with a gloved hand to poke at the little ball of yarn bits at the top while she looked around. there weren't many people out braving the elements.

"What'cha doing out here?"

Edited by Maggie Sinclair

Jack Rodgers

Jack had seen Maggie around, and spoken to her very briefly on occasion. She seemed nice. She didn't really stand for any bullying which was nice, Jacky liked that. But she was still a Slytherin, and that made him wary. 

Some of his fears were allayed though when she was actually nice to him. After breathing a metaphorical sigh of relief, his shy little grin grew as he watched her. "Thank you! My Granny knitted it for me!" He liked his hat too. Even if i did match his little sisters. 

He continued to grin, glancing around the grounds, then back to Maggie "I'm okay I guess. Looking forward to going home for Christmas. You?" His eyebrows jumped into his hair line as he addressed her eagerly. "Do you celebrate Christmas?" His Mumma always reminded him that England was so multicultural some people may not. Jacky thought it the magic world might be even more mixed and people may do different things. His Mumma was always teaching him to be tolerant of other people. His Mumma was a teacher by occupation but she was constantly teaching Jacky new things. 

"Does Santa come to your house?" He added with a little chuckle. Last year he had been excited for Santa coming even surmising that santa must be a Hufflepuff because he was so kind, but this year he had been let it on the big secret and now felt like he was on the inside of an 'in joke'. 

Branchy

The snow was falling and this was the perfect time for Branchy to walk the grounds. There was only so much that one bowtruckle was able to do with his life. Today he wanted to see how many humans would be outside in this weather. He just hoped that he wouldn't fall into the snow. It has happened before and Branchy didn't like it at all. Being stuck there wasn't fun at all, making his way towards the lake, he hoped that the giant squid was okay with it being frozen over. He was glad that he didn't live in water. 

Looking around, he didn't see many people outside today. Which a great sign for him. Maybe Branchy would make a snowtruckle... or not... because he saw something that would be a lot more fun to do. Noticing a human out there, with another human. But there was something that was hanging from his neck, Branchy ran as fast as his little branch legs would take him and the jumped onto @Jack Rodgersscarf and held on like it was swing. 

Just your friendly bowtruckle here, if you don't want me here. I will delete this post <3

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.