Killian Dracel

What's A Black Tie Affair, Anyway?

Killian Dracel

What's a black tie affair, anyway? His tie was green, thank you very much, but he had heard it so much over the past couple days since he had come home from Hogwarts. Black tie this, black tie that--a few giggles shared between Darcie and Lian at the dinner table had him quirking an eyebrow before he rolled his eyes and went about his food that night. But his tie was green, damnit.

He was charged with greeting the guests as they came to the manor, whether they were arriving by floo, or by the front door, as though he were some common house elf. Still, he was man of the manor, wasn't he? And it was important that he greet the guests as the man of the manor, so he took this task seriously, even if it meant he was going to have to run back and forth between the flashes of green and the door chime. 'As long as I can use my wand to open the door,'  he'd challenged, however, because... any excuse to use magic.

There was extended family he didn't know anything about, and that one healer woman he couldn't remember the name of and her husband, but he did know that Edward was their son. Of course he knew Edward from the few passings they'd had, but beyond that, no one had arrived yet that he knew from Hogwarts. WHAT EVEN...?!

Everly, I am going to kick your arse if you don't show up soon. And as soon as someone he knew showed up, this man of the manor business was going to go away real quick.

Edward Braelin-VonHaus

"Killian," Edward nodded to the lad as he was greeted when he stepped out of the floo. "She made you clean the hearth, didn't she?" he gestured to Darcie with a smirk.

Speaking of, "Darcie! I brought booze," he held up a bottle of fire whisky.

Darcie Dracel-Cortes

“I never made him. Kid just likes to scourgify things when he’s at home.” Decree for the Reasonable Restriction of Underage What?  Returning the smirk, Darcie accepted the premium brand firewhisky. “Blishens?! You do know how to spoil a girl,” she teased as she tucked the bottle in close to her body.

Noting Killian’s choice to add a pop-of-colour, she stepped closer to her nephew. With her wand hand, she pretended to straighten the tie. “Rebelling against my party’s dress code…Should forbid you from any further magic tonight…but you just look so handsome in green.

“You win this time…” she conceded. Leaving Killian alone again in the foyer, she proceeded to lead their latest guest to the bar. “Edward, what will you be having to drink first?”

Aurora Braelin-VonHaus

She was greeted by the young ward Darcie had taken on and she smiled at him as she and Spike wandered in. Spike went off to place presents under the tree and she heard Darcie offering her son a drink. "Hullo, Darce," Aurora greeted, stepping up to give her a peck on the cheek that was perhaps a little too close to her mouth. "Happy Christmas, and I'll have whatever you're having. And as for you," she looked at her son over Darcie's shoulder. It wasn't like she could ban him from having a drink. He was a grown man, now. "Just... don't over-do it."

Grumble. Grumble.

Damaris Denton

For a good minute or two, Damaris had wondered if the invitation was a mistake.

The alternative to not going, however, was attending yet another function with her mother and her step-father. She understood that he was working to raise money for the university--or was it the art that he sold--it was too confusing for her to follow, but what she did know was that the events were fake. Her step-father would smile and her mother would smile and she would too and photographs would be snapped of her, her mother, and her step-father as though they didn't usually spend time in separate rooms. 

She let out a breath when she found the one outfit that her mother hadn't designated for one of the upcoming events they had to attend with her step-father. It was a dark Slytherin green, which her mother thought she liked, but in reality, she didn't. But she felt obligated, both because it was her house's color, and because her mother had selected it for her. 

Dante had dropped her off, both because her mother and step-father couldn't apparate, and because they had plans for the evening. But once she was there, taking in the sight of the imposing manor, she suddenly felt very small. 

Not to mention if she had to describe second year so far, she would go with really freaking weird, a little terrible, and just getting worse. 

"Um...hi," she murmured to Killian. She fought the impulse the fidget with her hair, especially after she'd managed to get it to fall in the exact gentle waves that she wanted. "I hope I was still allowed to come." 

Havana Towne

Black tie affair?

What even was that supposed to mean? Havana’s family may have been well off, lived in their own mansion, and were probably considered one of the fine upstanding, and high class pureblood families. They never did exactly have a black tie affair party, but maybe that was because they weren’t dull, daft, and downright delusional about what a party was supposed to mean.

She stared at the fancy dress that her mom handed her for the part in the mirror for what seemed like years, and figuring out exactly what he hair should be. She was frustrated because she just didn’t like her hair up in a ponytail, or down in her natural curls. What exactly was considered a ‘black tie hairstyle’?

Eventually she threw shoe at the mirror and fell backwards onto her bed. Why was she so nervous about this entire thing? She was only invited to a party of a housemate, but she was sitting in her room trying to figure out exactly how to make herself look the most presentable to his family. Why? Ugh, why was being a teenager so confusing.

“Havana Elaine,” her mother’s voice came through the door, “we’re going to be late.”

She stared at the partially cracked mirror and finally decided that her hair down would at least look decent. She slipped her shoe back on and then walked out of her room to find her mother, who had insisted that she be the one who takes her to the party because of the simple fact that she couldn’t be trusted to use the Floo Network responsibly. How was she going to use the Floo Network irresponsibly going to the Dracel manor? Was it the fact that she might accidentally say Dracula Manor and end up somewhere in Romania?

Yeah, that was probably the reason.

~~

A couple of moments later Havana was standing inside the manor with her mother, who just smiled, told her to have fun, and she would be back to pick her up in a couple of hours.

The Slytherin looked around at house that she was now in and there was only a couple of words that could decently describe the manor, but the only noise that escaped her mouth was a breathed gasp as the gorgeous architecture and the ambience that filled the house.

“Wow.”

Killian Dracel

Killian, for a moment, was worried he had overstepped when his Aunt had come up to him and started to straighten his tie. He met her gaze though, and it wasn't out of defiance. If she wanted him to wear a bloody black tie, he would wander up to his room and put one on and he wouldn't complain about it. That didn't mean he wasn't going to give her his best puppy dog eyes, first.

And it worked. He smiled. She let him get away with it, with perhaps the best compliment she had ever given him. Ever.

That was like a Christmas miracle.

And there was Damaris, his next guest to be greeted. "Allowed. You might not like some of the things I do, Damaris--and that won't stop me from doing them--but I'll always see you as a friend. That's a nice dress."

And then, his other guest had arrived, the one whom he had gotten closer to whilst he and Damaris had hit that rough patch.

"Excuse me," he said to Damaris and wandered over to Havana, extending his arm for her to take. "Not bad, right?" he grinned, walking them towards Damaris. "Glad you found the place okay." He was about to introduce them, when it suddenly hit him. "Oh right, you're both on the Quidditch team."

Darcie Dracel-Cortes

“Accio glasses and ice,” Darcie had incantated just prior to Aura and Spike being ushered in by Killian, whom was still antsy waiting on whatever friends he had invited. “Darling,” she greeted in return, blowing a kiss simultaneously with the peck that left a tingling awfully close to her lips. Those Braelin-Vonhaus’ would be the death of her.

“We’ll be having this expensive firewhisky courtesy of Edward.” Pouring all three of them a finger of the whisky, her emeralds flickered to the front door where two young girls entered mere moments apart. “Bloody hell, look who has a thing for pretty brunettes,” she grumbled, her gaze fixated on the children. “This should be fascinating to watch…”

Damaris Denton

The clean and euphemistic way he'd described ambushing Kaleb made her frown. Showing up felt like she was betraying Kaleb in some way, even though she hadn't told him about the invitation, and wouldn't when they went back to school. 

But she couldn't bring herself to give up on Killian either, even though she was still angry. Maybe that was why she'd showed up to the party.

"That's a nice way to describe what happened," she said simply, and though she'd wanted to avoid talking about entirely, it was difficult to do so.  

And yet, he'd still complimented her. They were still friends, even though they were struggling through a rough patch at the moment. 

To put it mildly. 

"But, um, thanks," she said quietly, smiling despite herself. 

She had expected the party to be full of adults that she wouldn't have known - but to her surprise, there was another girl there, roughly the same age as them. She blinked at the girl, who seemed way too interested in the architecture. Clearly, she hadn't come to the manor before - so maybe she was the daughter of one of the adults that had come to the party?

That sounded like it made sense to her.

She blinked when Killian excused himself and offered his arm to the girl. Her eyes had zeroed in on the fact that he'd easily linked arms with her and was all smiles. Meanwhile, there may as well have been a snowstorm in the foyer when they spoke to each other.

"Um, I'm pretty sure I would know if she was on the Quidditch team," Damaris said defiantly. But, of course she knew Havana. Abby and Kirk had forced them through too many Quidditch practices for her not to know her teammates' names, even the ones who were much older than her, like Irene or Luke. But it had been the first thing to pop out of her mouth, and there was no turning back now. 

"So...what is Seeley Pichardo doing here?"

Oh god and she couldn't stop, either. She wasn't sure why she'd picked Seeley's name - it wasn't like she knew her personally - but it was the first one that had popped into her mind that wasn't Havana's. She knew that the way she'd asked sounded too confrontational, though she was trying to sound as nice as she could, under the circumstances. Vaguely, she tried to remember how they knew each other, but her mind wasn't coming up with anything. 

Would it be too obvious if she turned and left?

For a brief moment, she entertained the fantasy where she would scoff, turn, walk away, and he'd have to wonder what he'd done wrong to send her away.

But reality made her realize that if she did, she'd likely be waiting on the curb like an idiot waiting for Dante to pick up her snap mirror and come back to get her. 

Not to mention the fact that it didn't exactly look like he'd notice if she left. 

Edited by Damaris Denton

Havana Towne

She grabbed on to Killian’s arm as he lead her towards her teammate. Havana had smiled as he had started to introduce them, but laughed surreptitiously as she noted the fact that he indeed realized that they were indeed on the same quidditch team. Damaris was one of those girls who seemed like they were given many things in life, and didn’t have to fight for them that much.

Havana, on the other hand was exactly the same way, but only probably a bit more spoiled being the youngest of four children and extremely on the opposite end of her older siblings, who had gone to Hogwarts seventeen years ago. Of course, there was a small reputation about the Towne family as Detroit and Ankara were probably the stars of the family, and not including her parents were the only two currently of the family to graduate from Hogwarts. Her older sister, Marquette, who had been sorted into Slytherin twelve years prior to her being sorted, had left to live with her grandparents in France and graduated from Beauxbatons.

Her thoughts were suddenly interrupted by Damaris calling her Seeley Pichardo of all names. Normally, that would be insulting, but this wasn’t the time or place for her to start fighting about why Seeley Pichardo was the worst person to ever walk the Earth, and she had literally no idea why she had gotten sorted into Hufflepuff.

Whatever. Que sera sera.

She looked at Killian and then towards Damaris and whispered loudly so that Damaris could hear her.

“Why did you invite Shiloh? You know she hates magic, right?”

Edited by Havana Towne

Aurora Braelin-VonHaus

Aurora took her offered glass and tipped the contents towards her waiting lips. A small sip was all she took and she held up the glass to appreciate it in the light. "Wow. That's definitely the good stuff."

Now distracted by the kids Darcie was eyeing at the front door, she turned to watch as well and then grinned. "Merlin, do you remember when we were that young?" she glanced pointedly at Darcie, smiling.

Killian Dracel

"Er, no... not Seeley," Killian started, but then there was Havana whispering at him why he had invited Shiloh. Merlin's beard, this was going to be awkward, and he wondered if it would be too much trouble to ask Darcie for a sip of that fire whisky she seemed to be enjoying with her friends. Not cool.

"No, not Shiloh, either," he muttered. "I swear, there's some sort of inside joke here that I know nothing about. Is this a stupid quidditch thing you guys do? Because I could have sworn Shiloh was a dog." This was a mistake, though it certainly seemed like the best decision ever when he made it. Inviting the two of them over at the same time? Dumb move, Dracel.

"I have eggnog," he stated suddenly.

Damaris Denton

Damaris was pretty sure that in exactly none of the Quidditch practices she'd been forced to go to, not to mention the game against Hufflepuff, had Havana smiled. Not to mentioned smiled like she was smiling now. 

She felt stupid and she felt small standing there, especially when Havana made a show of whispering to Killian. She drew her mouth into a tight line. 

"No, not an inside joke," she forced a smile. Was there maybe a way that she could text Dante without either of them noticing? "That would require Seeley to be on the Slytherin Quidditch team. Which she isn't."

She could feel her jaw tense at the familiar way he spoke to Havana and at the words I could have sworn Shiloh was a dog. How could he not see what Havana was doing? "Shiloh," she said slightly too loudly, "is the name of someone who is actually on the Slytherin team. I'm Damaris, Seeley. D-a-m-a-r-i-s."

The words wouldn't stop. What the hell are you doing? she wanted to scream at herself. 

"So, what is she doing here?" A question that still hadn't been answered. 

Killian Dracel

"She's my guest."

Damaris Denton

"....no, why is she actually here?" 

Havana Towne

Havana rolled her eyes towards the younger Slytherin girl, and shook her head. Damaris didn’t seem to understand the concept that Seeley Pichardo wouldn’t have known anything about the Slytherin quidditch team other than Havana. She just stared at the conversation going between Killian and Damaris and sighed. There was some kind of tension here, and Havana knew that it somehow involved her, Killian, and the other Slytherin girl. However, she wasn’t about to try to resolve it. Where was the fun in that?

“Shiloh,” she stared over at Damaris, “It’s rude of you to to impersonate one of your teammates. I could’ve sworn Damaris wasn’t as ugly as you are.”

Of course, Havana knew that she wasn’t Shiloh, a first year, or even someone who hated magic, but their flying skills were roughly the same. It wasn’t exactly an insult to call Damaris Shiloh based on that particular skill set, and the fact that both of them found themselves on the ground during the game. In her time as a member of the Slytherin quidditch team, Havana had never hit the ground once as a result of a foul or a bludger.

“Shiloh, you must’ve taken a very hard fall when you got hit with that bludger against Hufflepuff if you don’t remember I’m not a Hufflepuff. The name is Havana. Do I have to spell it out for you? Yeah, I think that’d be smart to make sure that you know how to spell and remember the alphabet.”

“H-A-V-A-N-A.”

Darcie Dracel-Cortes

Darcie sighed dreamily. "Yes...it was just the beginning of breaking...er...finding new loves."

As the girls' bantering heated, Darcie clamped an excited hand down on Aura and Edward's forearms. "Galleon the Denton girl strikes first."

Damaris Denton

She'd struggled and struggled hard through tryouts. She wasn't even sure how she'd made it on the team - maybe Abby had taken pity on her after seeing that she was trying, she didn't know. She had hoped that Kaleb would have been able to help her, but the rift that Killian (and Everly) had opened between them had been nowhere close to healing in time for tryouts, let alone the first few Quidditch practices she'd gone to. 

So the remark about having fallen off her broom got under her skin easily, because it wasn't just that a seventh year had gotten the better of her, it was a reminder of everything that had managed to go wrong in a short period of time. 

She laughed at Havana's remark, perhaps a bit too loudly and a bit too forced. "Oh my God, Seeley, you're just like...too funny."  But she wasn't in the mood to quibble over details, to point out that she'd taken the bludger to her stomach and not her head. 

In some way, she supposed, she should have been relieved. As much as Kaleb and her other yearmates had hissed out the words Killian and boyfriend together at her, they weren't true. That much was obvious to her. So why wasn't she?

She shoved the feeling down, because now wasn't the time to deal with it. She turned her attention to the smug-faced witch who was standing there with her hand on Killian's arm calling her ugly and stupid like it was so funny. 

A few different options floated into Damaris's mind for a moment:

1) "Haha, did you know I've kissed your boyfriend but I still got invited to this party? HA! I give you a week." 

^ but then she'd have to admit the kissing had happened to someone she barely knew, and she'd already had trouble keeping a lid on that. 

2) "Did you know your boyfriend shoved my friend in a toilet and was proud of himself for doing that?"

^ talking about Kaleb and their ensuing fight wouldn't be helpful in the peacemaking process with Killian. 

3) "Did you know he went after my friend because he was jealous of him probably? Who are you?" 

^ while she didn't know who this witch thought she was, she had no way to prove that he was actually as jealous as Kaleb had speculated he was, and the last thing she wanted was to make that kind of accusation and have Killian shoot it down. 

So, she didn't say any of those things. Instead, she simply reached out, with the intention of grabbing a handful of Havana's stupid hair, wrapping it around her hand, and pulling it as hard as she could. 

Edited by Damaris Denton

Killian Dracel

"She's here because I want her here...?" he explained to Damaris. There was nothing more to it. "She's my friend."

The two would not be stopped it seemed and clearly inviting them to this upscale party was a mistake. He glanced over at Darcie, feeling like the disapproving stare would be coming any second now.

But, that wasn't what he got.

Huh.

As soon as the hair pulling started, Killian sighed and walked towards the adults. "Er. Am I supposed to stop this?" he asked Darcie with a wince.

Havana Towne

There was fun and games, and then there was the unbearable pain of having your hair being ripped directly from your scalp. The thing with that pain was that it would subside, but the hurt and agony of being called a Hufflepuff, let alone a Hufflepuff that was associated with Desmond Potter, would never have enough time to be a closed wound. She wasn’t exactly sure what her problem with Seeley was, but there was just an entire air about that Hufflepuff that seemed to exude that she was better than her.

She wasn’t and the actions of Damaris had seemed to feel that she too was better than her. Havana tried to reach for her wand, but her mother had the wherewithal to take her wand back home with her. She wasn’t about to let Havana have more leeway to cause any drama, but in her mind this drama was started by Damaris Denton. Damaris was just another one of the faces in the crowd that would’ve been lost if it wasn’t for quidditch and her somehow making the team.

How did she make the team?

Was it the name?

It was most definitely the name.

She ripped her head away from the grasp of the younger Slytherin and glared towards her. There were several reasons why Havana Elaine Towne had the upper hand in the fight that was inevitably going to happen, and one of those reasons would be that she had already broken @Seeley Pichardo ’s nose with a single punch last year.

“It’s like that Shiloh?”

Nevermind, forget the charade.

“It’s like that DAMARIS?”

She made sure that she wasn’t wearing any earrings, because she probably had put some on for the occasion. She threw the earrings down on the floor and walked towards the brunette and punched her as hard as she could with her left fist.

“Fine, let’s play.”

Damaris Denton

Killian could insist that Havana was his friend all he wanted, but Damaris knew better. It wasn't like Killian had invited Ryan Alterton too, after all. Theoretically, he should have known her better than Havana, Damaris thought. How did he even get to the point where he'd invite a girl a year above them to a family party?

She was playing with fire, and she knew it. It didn't stop her from pulling Havana's hair to the point where she was left with a few brown strands in her grasp. It didn't even stop her from standing firm, undeterred, when Havana dropped the charade, forcefully removed her earrings and walked towards her. 

Should she have moved? The way she'd shrieked 'Damaris' probably could have woken up any ghosts that were lurking around Dracel Manor and it should also have probably served as a warning, because Havana, contrary to her words, was not playing at all. The third year was clearly not on chaser during their first game because she didn't have the strength to play beater. The hit was sudden and the crack nearly made her cry right then and there. And she was bleeding. She was bleeding in front of Killian, in front of Killian's aunt, and adult family friends. 

This may have been the worst day of her life.

It was up there, at least.

Sure, Killian had seen her push Ryan into the lake, but there hadn't been blood, and Ryan hadn't been holding onto Killian's arm a few moments before she'd shoved her into the water.

This was worse. This was a lot worse. 

And something told her that this was going to get a lot worse before it stood any chance of getting better.

"YOU BROKE MY NOSE YOU DUMB SLAG! I AM BLEEDING! I'M BLEEDING ON MY DRESS!" If she had more composure, she would have calmly shouted a few more insults related to the worth of the dress vis a vis Havana as a person. But she was already too embarrassed, and her nose was stinging worse than the time @Molly Stone had punched her. 

She reached out to pull more hair, because nothing would have made her happier than to leave the older Slytherin with several horrible bald spots as payment for calling her ugly, stupid, and punching her in the nose. 

Killian Dracel

There came a point when asking for direction was completely unnecessary. Like right now. He'd been looking at his aunt for guidance--because what the hell was he supposed to do with two fighting girls--when it happened. And when he turned around to look at his two friends, he was shocked to see that Damaris was bleeding red (not green).

"Nevermind," he muttered over his shoulder at his aunt and withdrew his wand from the dragon hide holster clipped on his belt.

It was like the fight with Ryan Alterton all over again. Flipendo here, Flipendo there. Both Damaris and Havana his targets. Bloody nose or not, Damaris deserved it. They both did. "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING!?" he shouted at them and glared at them both. "STOP IT. This isn't Hogwarts. It's not your house. And it's not your bloody party! If you two want to fight, I don't bloody well care. You do it outside or at Hogwarts, and don't disrespect my Aunt like this! So. Knock it off. Or get out.

"For the love of Merlin," he scoffed at them and walked away, looking for the cheese tray.

Havana Towne

Havana was in shock after being hit with the knockback jinx, and she stared over at Damaris. The truth was that perhaps she started, but undoubtedly the broken and bloodied nose that the other Slytherin was sporting showed that she had ended it. Havana brushed her hair back down in a respectable hairstyle.

“She started this,” she breathed as Killian walked away from the two of them.

Havana smiled as she walked over towards Killian and shook her head, “I’m sorry you had to see that, but you took control over that entire situation……”

Long pause.

“......which I did not ask you to do. I had it handled, and you know that she deserved every single thing that happened to her. How disrespectful would it be if I showed up here and started calling you Desmond Potter?”

She sighed, “It’d be very disrespectful, and be a downright insult on your Slytherin pride. I know you understand that. Seeley Pichardo is the lowest insult that she could’ve thrown at me, and that would include terms like mudblood. I, on the other hand, didn’t even insult her with another house because I know how prideful Slytherins are.”

Another long pause, “Sorry. You’re right. I shouldn’t have disrespected you, your aunt, or this party.”

She turned to Damaris.

“Happy Christmas, witch.”

Darcie Dracel-Cortes

“Oooooh I win a galleon!” Merlin, she loved gambling over sporting events, and yes, jealous girls fighting over a boy was most definitely a sport. Hell, a pair of jealous anyones fighting over someone was a worthy sport. “Oooooooh,” her tone drastically shifted to one of sympathy when her chosen fighter took a hard hit to the nose.

“Could she die?” Darcie inquired from Aura at the sight of all that blood. So entranced by it all, she missed Killian’s first attempt to get her attention, but when he had walked away from the two girls, she felt that slight pang of failing a child in a time of need.

“I should tend to him…if you’ll tend to her…” Darcie and Aura to the rescue!

“The disrespect will end when you come back from loo after fixing your hair,” Darcie snapped, interrupting whatever moment the not-Denton girl was trying to have with Killian. “You alright?” she asked Killian softly, while her face still retained an aloof expression.

Damaris Denton

As she fell backwards, she felt the same wave of shame and embarrassment that she'd felt when she fought with Ryan in front of Killian. Except this was worse. She just sat there quietly, wishing she had something to dab the blood off of her face. "Sorry," she murmured quietly to  Killian, because there was no way that Havana was getting an apology from her. Not now, not ever.

What was worse than being told off by Killian was seeing Havana get up and smile, agreeing with Killian. Like she didn't know how much she didn't belong there. As Havana spoke, presuming to know more about Killian than Damaris was willing to bet that she actually did, her mind spun with all the possibilities of what she could do to get back at Havana. Maybe, Damaris speculated, Abby would be willing to make her be beater against Ravenclaw. That would give her a bat. And in the Quidditch match, she would be able to hit bludgers - her aim wasn't very good, and if she happened to hit Havana, well, that would just be an unfortunate accident, and nothing more. 

Though it would be incredibly satisfying.

She couldn't help but smile a little when Killian's aunt dismissed Havana and her stupid, smirking, fake apologies. It felt like she got a victory of some kind, even though she was still sitting there bleeding. "I'm sorry about fighting at your party, ma'am," she said anyway, even though Havana deserved everything she got.

"Honestly Havana, it's pretty sad how little you know," she couldn't help but smile again, even though she was still bleeding. Because the proof was right there - Desmond Potter was hardly the most offensive name that Killian could be called. And she knew that. And because she knew that, it stood to reason that there was a lot more that Havana didn't know, which felt comforting, in a strange way.

"Do go fix your hair," she added with a grin. "It's looking a bit lop-sided."