Weasley

Site News

Weasley

ALLOWANCES

I finished distributing make up allowance money plus this year's allowance money yesterday. Wherever there was a decision to make, in almost all cases I erred towards giving out more money. All Hogwarts staff got make up allowance, even if they haven't been here 5 school years. Alumni got an allowance to make up for what recent graduates missed (and thus giving random bonus money to older alumni).

I have flooded the market with cash. Will galleons be devalued? Will it cause inflation in wizarding Britain? Who knows! Enjoy spending it. ❤️

HIRING

Applications are open for PHP Instructor til March 6th. Please apply if you're interested!

MENU BAR:

I moved the Clubs link to the Browse menu. In case anyone was wondering where that went.

Weasley

Allowance correction:

A couple year groups missed out on a portion of the allowance extravaganza a few weeks ago. I've sent more money to Gryffindor and Hufflepuff 4th year groups to correct that. Some groups may also notice payments of 0, 1, 2, or 3 knuts. Don't worry about those, I was just testing to make sure things were working correctly.

Gringotts Keys:

I finally caught up on sending Gringotts Keys to our donors. If you're on our donor lists for 2018, 2019, or 2020 I've sent you a key. Unless you had one already. Or haven't opened a bank/shop account. Feel free to contact me if you think you should have a key but don't.

Server Move:

I'll be taking VH offline the weekend of April 12th so I can move us to a new server. I'll keep you updated on exactly when it will go offline once the time gets closer. Expect VH to be down for most of a day, maybe two days.

Clubs:

I forgot to mention this earlier, but I moved the Clubs link in the menu bar to the "Browse" section. You've probably noticed that by now if you were looking for a club.

Shop forums:

I will be moving around and deleting most of the shop forums very soon. Tonight or maybe tomorrow. All roleplay topics will be moved to the respective parent forum (Diagon Alley or Hogsmeade).

Gagwilde

Congratulations, alumni, for you are no longer immortal.

Yes, your adult characters can now die independently of site plots. It's like all my Christmasses have come at once. This does not mean you can start RPing death on the board, but there is now a system for your character to be declared officially and irreparably dead in an obituary which will be published by the Daily Prophet. 

If you're an alumni, please head to this thread in the Alumni Centre for more details. If you're not an alumni you are stuck being alive.

If you have questions about your own mortality please PM Gagwilde, Bringer of Death.

Weasley

Server move:

I’m planning on doing this on Friday. I don’t know exactly when I’ll take VH offline yet, maybe late afternoon Eastern time. 

But it’s possible I may have to shift it to Saturday. I’ll keep you updated and post a one hour warning before I take VH offline.

Plan on for VH being down for at least a day. (Hopefully/probably less, but you never know!)

Save up some lessons or other posts you need to reply to so you aren’t forced to do other non-VH things this weekend. ?

Weasley

This is your one hour warning. I'll take the site offline in just over an hour at 4pm Pacific/7pm Eastern time.

Weasley

VH is back. Please let me know if you notice any performance issues. If this server works out, it's going to save us quite a bit of money this year and we'll have a nice amount saved up for 2020. 🤞

Scrimgeour

*The Sorting Form is open for VH40! Instructions are posted here.

Sorting Schedule:

Sorting Form appears: Monday, May 27th

Sorting Form closes: Friday, June 21st (No forms will be accepted after this date)

The Sorting Ceremony closes: Sunday, June 23rd, about 10am Central Time

You find out your new house: Sunday, June 23rd, 11 am Central Time

First day of the new school year: Monday, June 24th

(For reference: Central Time Zone includes Chicago, Illinois)

*We're looking for sorting songs for this year's sorting (and future sortings!). Please look here for more information.

Egg

Please join us in the Special Events forum where we are continuing our celebration of the 40th Anniversary of Hogwarts' reopening with our first ever Alumni Career Week! Meet some successful Hogwarts graduates, get your dozens of questions answered, and receive hella SWAG (prizes... that's prizes, if you... aren't 2006 hip like me).

This event will run from July 1st to July 15th. See you there!

Weasley

I've been hearing a rumor that the moderators ignored dozens of reports about a plot line that was disturbing members and that we received many of these reports prior to something that occurred on June 3rd.

I believe this rumor to be untrue. I reviewed every report made since 2017. I searched my PM box, the Vanishing Closet, the moderator's forum, and the moderator's discord. Given how we work, it's extremely unlikely that a report wouldn't show up in one of those places.

I found nothing submitted prior to that date.

If we did drop the ball and somehow miss dozens of reports, I want to know how and why so we can figure out how to improve how we accept and deal with reports. I don't like the possibility that we could've addressed the issue sooner and avoided some upset for all parties. 

If you are one of the persons who feel we ignored your early report, can you please contact me by PM or on Discord and let me know how, when or to whom the report was made? 

I promise I won't be upset with anyone for proving me wrong on this point. I sincerely would prefer to feel bad about us messing up and be able to work to correct the problem than to think that people would make up something like this.

P.S. If you wish, I will keep your name and the details to myself, though I'd prefer to be able to discuss it with the mod it was sent to. 

Scrimgeour

Dear VH,

Tomorrow, July 17th, 2019, we will be taking the board offline as we begin transitioning into a new era of Virtual Hogwarts.

We'll be taking this opportunity to consider making a few changes to our site and its processes for the benefit of our community. VH has changed and evolved over the years in so many ways, including variation in the size of the member base. We'd like to consider adjusting the way the site works to better fit our current size and to help us become a positive community we'll continue to love for years to come. 

Possible changes we're considering include restructuring specific logistical areas, such as lessons, as well as examining the larger picture, like altering the current timeline. As we make these decisions about the future of the site, we'd like to consider your ideas as well! Helpful, productive suggestions are more than welcome. Within the next few days, we'll make an announcement on the Discord server regarding how to submit your ideas. If you'd prefer to discuss your ideas directly with a member of the moderating team, please let us know!

The Moderators will be on Discord throughout the downtime and will offer information as it becomes available. We will take some time for your questions and any productive input, but will otherwise be highly focused on the work that needs to be done, so please keep that in mind and allow us some space during this time.

Thank you, and see you soon,

The Mods™  

Weasley

VH has been upgraded to the newest version. Please let me and Undercliffe know if you spot any problems, especially with the shop or themes. Thank you!

Snape

The board will be back online today, August 5, 2019.  

Areas of the site such as dueling and quidditch will make their own announcements regarding their adjusted timelines and deadlines shortly.  Please keep an eye out in the announcements areas of the dueling chamber and quidditch pitch for those. 

The VH year 40, Term 1, Week 4 will start over on Monday, August 12.  This will give our staff a chance to get back from the downtime and have their areas reset for everyone's enjoyment. 

A security update was installed. The search function inside the Messenger system is no longer limited to a one-year time limit and you should be able to search for recipient/sender again. 

Any problems or issues previously addressed to the site admin, Weasley, can now be directed to my inbox.  Thanks and welcome back. ❤️  

Weasley

Sorry I couldn't post earlier because of work, but I just wanted to touch real quick on my involvement with the site moving forward. After all, the last you heard from me was that I was leaving. 

And I am leaving. But after much discussion, I've agreed to help keep the site running for a few more months to ease the transition. We've got a good deal on our server after all and the contract is not yet up. So I will still be nominally around as your webhost/root admin. I'll be trying to keep the server and software functioning with no moderating responsibilities, while Snape and the other moderators will be in charge of running VH. Snape, as site admin, will have ultimate say on rules and member issues, etc.

I hope you can be patient with the moderators as they continue to work out how VH will move forward.

❤️

Snape

Hi everyone!  We on the mod team want to keep you guys updated on what's happening with the site as Weasley transitions out and we enter the next phase of VH, so here's a quick update: 

Before the start of the next year, VH will be moving to a new site which will be less complicated to maintain. The site will look substantially similar to the VH you know and love. We'll even be able to retain lots of our special features, like the shop system and credentials without the difficulties of taking the board down and adjusting the base code every time we need to update our security credentials. We'll be keeping this site up as an archive for a long while, so you will all have PLENTY of opportunity to save anything special you've posted over the years.

That's all for this update, but we'll continue to post updates and previews as more decisions are made and details become available. Rest assured we are all working hard to make this transition as seamless as possible, and the most important thing for us is that we create a great new space you will love as much as the current site.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.