Mole

Ask Anything!

Tamsin Sauvigni

My question is with OWLs, as I this is the first year that they will be a concern for me and I see they all seem to be started in the Great Hall.

When should I post in the Great Hall topics, I see that nobody has posted in any of them yet. Is everyone waiting for their lessons score?

I have a significant post already written for Muggle Studies, well over 400 words. Should I post this anyway, even if I don't know my current grade score. Does it matter if I do far more than is required. Should I wait for the professors to grade my lessons?

Do I need to post my OWLs in classes my character has taken this term sooner rather than later? Is there a deadline which states I need to complete these OWLs before starting the other classes?

This will translate to other lessons as well, but I want to make sure I am participating properly. I hope to get O's in many classes, especially since Tami is a prefect and I really want her to pass this year.

Aggie Price

@Tamsin Sauvigni,

You can now post in the OWLs (and NEWTs for 7th years).  For current classes you don't have a grade yet for, just enter "TBE".  The deadline for all OWLs (and NEWTs) is the same, regardless of the semester.  For House Points, they must be completed by the time all (both term 1 and term 2) are locked as stated in this thread, which is towards the end of Term 2.

Hope that helps

Undercliffe

Hi @Artemis Eden, welcome back to VH!

You no longer need to use "coding" to format your posts. You'll notice that the post editor on this version of the board has a bunch of buttons across the top - you can use these to make your posts look pretty without needing to use any BB code (as you would've needed to do in previous versions of VH). The buttons work just like the buttons in most word processing programs - or if you're not sure what a button does, you can hover your cursor over it and a description will appear. 

Formatting a CL now is a lot easier and requires no coding knowledge or skill! I would recommend giving it a try. If you're still not happy with what you're able to do after playing around with the formatting options, then I'd consider reaching out on Discord to see if you can find someone who enjoys text formatting to assist.

If you have any additional questions or if anything wasn't clear, feel free to ask! ❤️ 

Artemis Eden

@Undercliffe thank you so much! I used to code and made my old Character Library for my old VH profiles but i hadn’t done it in a while and forgot lol I appreciate it! 

Phillip Aldermaston

So I'm doing my NEWTs and done everything for healer-track except the Transfiguration NEWT.    Am I just being useless (in which case, a link would be appreciated) or is the Transfiguration NEWT just not up yet?

Julian Pritchard

Neither the transfiguration OWL or NEWT seem to be up yet. 

Stephanie Eckland

I'm looking at this character (Steph) becoming an animagus, perhaps in her 6th year.

She is a Ravenclaw for a reason; she is a very intelligent girl who consistently studies above her level. Ever since she has started at Hogwarts, she has read not only her own course books but those of the year above as well. In classes, she often knows the spells even before they are covered in lessons. I am confident that she has both the intelligence and the drive to achieve whatever she sets her mind to.

I have been planning on her becoming an animagus for some time. ICly, she has taken an interest in the procedure since she first heard about it, has paid attention in lessons when the subject was brought up, and now I have a thread in the library where she has begun studying the process in earnest. I intend for her to continue to study at least until the end of her fifth year.

It may be cliche, but I was thinking of her becoming a raven. Corvids are the smartest of all birds after all, and she would find it useful to be able to fly without a broom, especially since she is a muggleborn. Perhaps she might have some brown feathers on her head, the same shade as her brown hair.

Is there anything else I need to do at this stage, and am I setting her on a course that VH allows?

What will I need to do in her 6th year in order to be granted this talent?

Another concern: I am sorry if this sounds a little heartless in light of the number of werewolves at Hogwarts now.

This was something I was considering even before the werewolf incident.

Callahan

Hi Steph,

As of now, the requirements and application questions for animagus can be found here, but the details of that may change when we move to the new board. I don’t know. I don’t want to guarantee anything and have it turn out to be wrong.

Regardless, laying the IC groundwork in advance is great. Based solely on what you’ve told us here, the piece of advice I’d give you is this. Show us, in addition to telling us, that she’s motivated to do this. I’m happy to read an application in advance; Gagwilde is masterful at that.

Good luck, and I look forward to seeing your [form tbd ❤️ ] application.

Callahan

Jasper Tattersall

So, wondering a bit about moving to the new site with a resorted first year ... does it seem like there are going to be a CRAZY amount of first years? (which is what I would expect) Would it be beneficial for me to wait a year?

Scrimgeour

Hi @Jasper Tattersall!

While the EA1 server on discord does seem larger than year servers in recent years, that's not always a reliable predictor of how many members will actually sort. If we had to guess we'd say that EA1 may be larger than the most recent year groups, but it's unlikely to reach the size of large years we've had in the past. As for whether it would be beneficial for you to wait - that entirely depends on your preference! We don't have a way to predict whether EA2 will be bigger or smaller than EA1, but if you are more comfortable waiting for a small year group, then you definitely could wait and see. It's really up to you!

Hope this helps!

Scrimgeour

Hello @Silus Taggerty!

I just posted an announcement with an updated timeline for the new site opening and the sorting here. Unfortunately, we will not have it quite ready before US Thanksgiving, but we are hoping to have it ready soon afterward! We appreciate your patience!

Professor Foster

1) Do we know when we will be locked out of this board?

2) Once we are locked out, what will be the state of the search function? It isn't operating all that great right now. I wonder if "non-members" will be able to search for specific content at all.

3) What areas of the board will not be accessible once we can no longer log in?

4) It was mentioned earlier that old lessons would be made accessible once the site is archived. Does that mean the current restricted area will become unrestricted or does it mean they will actually move somewhere.

I ask in part because I was wanting to create a kind of directory for myself to find old lessons and I wondered if there was any point of the links would change. For that matter...

5) Will CL links still work or are those links likely to break because of any changes in forum access?

Last question...

6) Do we have any idea how long VH will be archived before it too is a thing of the past?

Scrimgeour

Hello @Professor Foster!

At this time I don't have all the answers for you about the timeline and what the board will look like as an archive. However, I can tell you that links like lesson links and CL links all should still work. Even though we are moving the lesson topics out of the restricted section, moving topics does not change their URL. And there's no reason that CL links will change, either. I hope that helps for now. Sit tight and we should have answers about your other questions later down the line (likely posted in the form of an announcement).