Sign in to follow this  
Desmond Tonks

When the galaxies crossed, and the sun went dark

Desmond Tonks

“Oh no. No no no.” Desmond hissed when he noticed who had been assigned to their group, dropping the tent ropes onto the ground that was laced with ice. Desmond had been fortunate to been paired up with someone he could tolerate (Merc) but did the third person have to be Xanadu Kane?

“I’m grabbing Navi. She can be the third in our trio.” Desmond stubbornly insisted as he made a beeline for the unsuspecting female.

Mercutio Bates

Hey, he wasn't any happier about this either. When he heard the assigned tents, Mercutio thought it was a joke. When Xanadu unhappily approached him, he realized Professor Fjord seriously thought it was a good idea to stick Xanadu Kane in a tent with the two people his boggart turned into. Guess she never heard about all the drama from first term.

"Sounds good to me," Mercutio retorted, crossing his arms and glaring at Kane as if it was his fault he'd been assigned to his and Desmond's tent.

Navi Wilkes

Well, this was just great.

Navi watched quietly as the girls of her class began pairing themselves off. Never before had she been quite so aware of how few female friends she had. Not that it had ever been a problem before, but this adventure would be much more enjoyable with her two best friends.

Speak of the devil...

Desmond appeared at her elbow, and before she could voice any question, he had whisked her off towards the boys' tent. "But, Des...that's not-We'll get in trouble." Her eyes adjusted to register Mercutio and...Xanadu. Oh.

Oh, dear.

Xanadu Kane

This was not what he had planned. He had expected someone tolerable to share his tent with, but apparently that had been too much to hope for. Xanadu glared at the two Hufflepuffs before hearing Tonks briefly mention Badger.

An awkward staring contest ensued with Bates while they waited for the other boy to return with someone more appealing.

Despite the arrangement being absolutely stupid, he was perfectly fine with Badger joining them. It made this ridiculous idea tolerable.

“As long as I don’t find my belongings in the ice by morning,” he warned. Threat? What threat?

Edited by Xanadu Kane

Desmond Tonks

Get in trouble? Like that wouldn’t be a given if the three boys were left alone. The only difference here was that they were pulling Navi into the mix. Obviously, she wasn’t one to break the rules…but surely she could see they needed her help here?

“Live a little Navi.” Desmond told the brunette as he released her to the wolf. “And really,” Desmond turned to address the lone snake. “You’re better off not giving us ideas.” Then, Desmond turned to Merc.

“Help me set the tent up. I doubt he would be of any use.”

Mercutio Bates

Mercutio grinned in response to Xanadu's pathetic attempt at a threat. "Really? It's such a fabulous idea," he purred, looking thoughtfully at the ice around them. He snickered and followed Desmond obediently over to the tent, where he expertly began to set it up. Years of camping experience right here.

"I suppose he's never slept in anything less than a silk mattress," Mercutio remarked dryly as he threaded the fabric through the tent poles. "Navi, help me with the other side?" He directed his two best friends (purposefully ignoring Xanadu) into helping him set up the rest of the tent.

Navi Wilkes

Oh, this was just great.

A whopping two seconds and they were already bickering, though... It pained her to admit that Desmond and Mercutio were acting like pompous jerks this time around. From what she'd seen, Xanadu had done nothing, yet her best friends were freely making comments. With both parents gone, it wasn't like the Slytherin would have had much camping experience, but Navi was likely the only one to consider that.

Giving Xan a small smile, she took a deep breath and moved towards the boys. "I'll help...if you promise not to be jerks-" Her hands flew up, open palm as Mercutio's head jolted up in protest. "That includes comments. Or I'll just go back and share a tent with Issy or Fel." She really didn't have the energy for this.

Xanadu Kane

Fine. Whatever. Xanadu shrugged and seated himself on the snow. They didn't need to know he didn't know how to do the thing, anyway. Remarks and comments flung his way left him feeling both left out and happy to be alone. Who needed them?

But of course, sweet Navi came to the defence. He didn't need defending, really, but it was nice to know she was taking his side this time around.

"You two might as well set up the tent anyway. People like you were made to serve," he said, playing with the snow, "Come here, Badger. The snow’s fun and they are doing perfectly well with the chores."

Anything mundane and muggle, at least.

Desmond Tonks

Sometimes, Desmond wondered how is it that Navi was able to forgive and forget so easily. Had she forgotten that this Slytherin was the one who attempted to shoot her out of the sky? Had she forgotten that he was a purist bigot who passed judgement based on someone’s ancestry? It was only natural for he and Mercutio to rise up to the challenge and pin Xanadu down before he could do the same to them.

But nooooo. Apparently, Xanadu was innocent as long as he wasn’t the one who started the fight.

“Navi, you clearly have to readjust your definition of what a ‘jerk’ is.” Desmond muttered, pulling at the tent’s strings to test its sturdiness. He didn’t usually like to get critical with Navi, but her defensiveness over Xanadu was something he wasn’t willing to tolerate.

And then, Xanadu said something that proved the Hufflepuff’s point. He stared at Xanadu impassively before turning to arch a brow at Navi. "Let's get out of here Merc." He said while his beryl eyes were still locked on the sole girl in their group. "The Aurora Borealis is a far prettier sight than this."

Edited by Desmond Tonks

Mercutio Bates

Mercutio rose up quickly at the words that slipped from Kane's mouth, eyes flaring dangerously. "Are you putting the same expectations on him?" he hissed indignantly at Navi, suddenly feeling more outraged at her -- that she could continue taking his side and defend him. Giving her a glare than usually didn't get directed her way, Mercutio turned his back to the pair. At this point, she could go back to Issy and Fel for all he cared. That was the better alternative than enabling Xanadu Kane's pretentious comments directed towards her own best friends. At least he knew Desmond had his back.

At Desmond's lead (slash command), he zipped up the tent with a snap of his wrist. "Fine by me," he grunted, hastily trudging through the snow to be by his side. "I think I saw a good spot over there to watch the lights."

Navi Wilkes

For there was clearly some misunderstanding.

Of course, she meant the Slytherin as well. Her entire attitude towards whatever situation involving the three always boiled down to the classic cliche: 'Can't we all just get along?' But that never happened. Ever, and apparently the boys were tired of her trying.

Navi couldn't understand the feeling somewhere near her heart when both of her best friends' words punctured. She'd never had a heart suture before, but she imagined the pulsing pain was somehow similar to that without anesthetic. They were mad at her, at her, because she had the gall to expect decency from someone who had only on very rare occasions displayed the capacity for empathy.

Olive eyes whipped away from Desmond's accusatory gaze and to Xanadu. "I meant all of you," she breathed, forcing the pain out into her voice. "Then you make some ##%*@& comment about my best friends, and you expect to win? You expect me to sit and play in the snow with you while they...they..." Despise her? Desmond had practically called her hideous; it wasn't something she was likely to forget. Her voice rose an octave as she spelled it out for the prat. "You're deluded. Play by yourself."

Navi turned back to her fellow Hufflepuffs, shame-faced and weary. Unshed tears clung in her eyes as she trudged past them, the weight of their anger intolerably sharp. As hurt as she was that they didn't understand, that they'd lashed out at her, she couldn't leave them.

(this is so not 100 words, but it's not my fault xD)

Xanadu Kane

Also over 100 words. I'm sorry QQ

Crap. He’d messed up. He’d messed up somehow. No, not somehow. He knew. She had been trying to keep everything neutral and he’d messed it up. Eyes followed the Hufflepuffs as they walked away, heart pounding in his chest.

They meant a lot to her and now they were mad at her. Because of him. Because she kept… trying.

I want to be your friend without feeling like I shouldn't be.”

Xanadu jumped up from the snow and took a deep breath. His hands were shaking. It was from the cold. It had to be. There was no other reason, really.

"I’m sorry!" he… yelled? Yeah, basically. The peace was in no way going to be kept anyway. Besides, he hadn’t been the first to yell. Screw the silence.

Xanadu took a deep breath, "I’m sorry for…" For what? Being right? He couldn’t say that. They’d just get mad at her again. And him. That was what mattered more, of course. "…for saying those things about half-bloods and… muggleborns. And for… insulting you. And… everything."

Desmond Tonks

Both Desmond and Mercutio knew that Navi had a good heart. It was her best trait, but also, in Desmond’s opinion, the worst. As accepting as she was, it was no wonder Xanadu wanted to be her friend and vice versa. Over time, Desmond came to realize that Navi was straddling the line in an attempt to keep the peace… even though it was abundantly clear none of the boys desired that. Or rather, it was unlikely to happen given their natures. But still, she hoped.

And that, honestly, irked Desmond to no end.

Vaguely, he could hear Navi lashing out at Xanadu behind him in anger. Good, Desmond thought, for it meant that Navi finally got the memo. The declaration that came from Xanadu soon after, however, was a little surprising.

But it wasn’t going to turn everything into sunshine and daisies.

Desmond turned and took in the scene – the negativity that was rolling off Navi and the look of desperation that was etched on Xanadu’s face.

“Stay in your lane Kane. And we’ll stay in ours.” In other words, a truce. There would be no apologies until Desmond ascertained that Xanadu’s could be trusted.

Mercutio Bates

While Mercutio wouldn’t have mind sitting around the fire singing Kumbaya together, he refused to be peaceful when he was being insulted. How much did Navi expect them to put up with for her sake?

They were almost out of earshot, but nobody could miss Xanadu Kane’s apology. Mercutio stilled and whirled around to stare with wide disbelieving eyes at the Slytherin who continued. “He’s a good actor, if anything,” Mercutio muttered under his breath as he tried to analyze the prat’s body language: stiff, hands clenched by his side, awkward and uncomfortable. “Whether he actually means it or not, it’s not easy to eat a slice of humble pie just to say that to us,” he reasoned quietly to Desmond.

His partner-in-crime called for a truce. Mercutio shrugged, agreeing to the terms. “I don’t like you, but for Navi, you can hang around. But you open that mouth of yours and start running those words again, I’ll break your face faster than you can apologize again.” Then, he turned to Navi and gestured for her to come into a warm hug. “Sorry for snapping.”

Edited by Mercutio Bates

Navi Wilkes

Her shoulders vibrated with the force of emotion running through her system. Already worked up from desperation and anxiety, the added confusion of Xanadu Kane apologizing was more than Navi could handle. She had to be dreaming, no, hallucinating. The worst part was that she didn't know how to respond. He wasn't apologizing to her, but to Desmond and Mercutio, and she'd just verbally assaulted him. Was the apology supposed to fix everything?

Maybe not everything, but Desmond acquiescing to his presence and Mercutio following with another warning gave the brunette hope again. Only when the jock turned back to her with a hug did she allow herself to feel like things were okay. There was no measure for how quickly she leaped into that hug. "I'm sorry," she murmured into his shoulder. She had let her personal patience invade their friendship, and no one was worth losing her best friends.

Flashing a tentative smile from Desmond to Xanadu, Navi let go of Mercutio. "So, uh, we were finding a spot?"

Xanadu Kane

Stay in a lane. What did that mean? Xanadu's eyes darted from the first boy to the next until the bulky one talked again. Hang around... Oh, they were going to tolerate him as long as it was a mutual type of thing. That made sense.

Xanadu's gaze trailed Badger as she went straight into Bates' arms. Good. The dolt apologised. Still, there was also the fact that she flashed a smile to all three of them. Was he included in this?

He shrugged, trying to seem as nonchalant as he could about the sudden change in the atmosphere, "What better spot do you need? You can see the entire sky from here."

Plus, he didn't want to stand up. His bum was wet from snow. That wasn't exactly going to help him with these three, was it?

Edited by Xanadu Kane

Desmond Tonks

It was frustratingly difficult to get a good read on Xanadu Kane and by this point, Desmond wondered if he should even be bothered by it. If Xanadu kept his smarmy mouth and hands to himself, then Desmond would have little difficulty with ignoring him. That quickly became the third year’s new goal. What’s left, of course, was Navi.

Desmond knew it would be wise of him, good of him, to at least apologize to the brunette. But here’s the thing – he wasn’t sorry about what he said. Even now, there was no way he would be able to tolerate her ambiguous stance. What he was apologetic about, was that it had to happen. So there’s that at least.

“…Yes, we were.” Desmond chose to say instead, acknowledging Navi’s inquiry with a curt nod. That was as far as he was going to go where apologies were concerned. Xanadu elected to stay where he was, but Desmond wasn’t as keen. He needed to think and staying by the Slytherin’s side was not going to help with that.

“Suit yourself." He shrugged. "Merc, lead the way?”

Mercutio Bates

An uneasy truce between them clearly didn't mean that they'd suddenly all be best buddies. Desmond, Navi, and Mercutio were a tight trio that wasn't easily divided by the likes of a pureblooded Slytherin who had socialization problems. So when the next decision came down to where they would go to watch the stars and the lights, Mercutio didn't hesitate to follow (or lead) the way to a different spot than the one Xanadu Kane was more attached to.

He did, however, throw a glance back at the Slytherin, as if challenging him to stubbornly stay where he was instead of following them. "There's a nice clearing over there and we're farther from the lights of the camp," he pointed out where the night seemed darkest. "You don't want other lights to pollute your view of the sky."

Navi Wilkes

It wasn’t perfect, and Xanadu was still refusing to move. But. There was momentary peace, and Navi was going to cling to it. The tension had not completely dissipated, but when Desmond nodded, the girl took that for every positive ounce it was worth.

She also didn’t hesitate to follow the Hufflepuff boys to a larger clearing. Glancing back, Navi nodded her head the direction they were moving, silently inviting the Slytherin if only to keep the situation from deteriorating again. If he chose not to move, the boys might be insulted (as well as relieved) or he might throw himself a little pity party. At least with everyone along, Navi could at least guess as to what they were thinking.

“I want the best view possible,” she ventured. Hopefully this was as exciting as the night was going to get.

Xanadu Kane

Other lights polluted the view of the sky? Having grown up in a rather isolated place usually meant the stars were easily seen at all times. Xanadu stared as the boys made their way away from the tent area, and he felt his spirits sink as Badger followed them as well.

Still, the look Mercutio had given him and the little nod of the head from Badger meant... were they okay with him coming along? Xanadu stood up, brushing off the snow and half-jogging to catch up with them. Still he lingered behind, even as he caught up.

If he got too far from her, he'd miss the best view possible.

The End~