Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Astrid McManus

I'm Not Just "Here, Pig" Anymore!

14 posts in this topic

. . . . . . It had been so hard to keep quiet all morning, as excited as Astrid was to get to lunchtime. Time moved too slowly, and she was glad to excuse herself a little early from the lesson to get things ready in the lunch area. They'd told everyone the day before not to worry about packing a lunch; the long table along one wall was soon filled with platters of sandwiches, cupcakes, fresh fruit, and a variety of other delectables. She nibbled on a chunk of cantaloupe before returning to the classroom where Mrs. Blithe was just wrapping up.

. . . "You all brought a big lunch today, right? You're going to need your energy to help us with the park landscaping this afternoon," Miss M said brightly, clapping her hands together, and trying not to look too amused at the blank, horrified, and rebellious expressions aimed in her direction.

. . . She couldn't keep it up too long and laughed. "I'm kidding. We have a great lunch set up for you, and we're going to extend lunch and recess a little bit today..."

. . . Watching the students closely as they reacted to the news about their new classroom pets, Delaney happily noted very few of them seemed upset or disgusted with the pets she'd picked. She had realized there was some cause for concern with picking a pig and a newt, but had hoped it wouldn't prove too big an issue, and so far that seemed to be correct.

. . . "I've listed the final options for the names up here on the board, so please take a good look at them," she began. Smiling when she received Astrid's nod that signaled things were all ready in the lunch area, she continued, "If you'll all please follow Miss McManus, we've got lunch all ready for you! Please take some time to get to know the new additions to our classroom, and once you've decided on your name, there is a box right next to the door for you to cast your vote."

. . . Delaney stepped out of the way to hang back, making sure everyone was following Astrid and not sneaking outside or getting up to any other mischief. Once they had all taken their seats, she added finally, "At the end of recess, Miss McManus and I will have tallied the votes, and we will announce the names. Enjoy your lunch! And please do try to watch your step from now on. The newt is quite easy to lose sight of."

Pig

Pancake (6 votes)

Sir Oinker Porker the Twelfth (nicknamed Oinkz) (3 votes)

Pepper

Newt

Peanut Butter & Jelly (4 votes)

Yu & Mi (aka Yumi or Miyu) (3 votes)

Bonnie & Clyde (2 votes)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

It's time to get those pets officially named! Everyone (meaning CURRENT PHP students and mentors, however, thank you for your contribution, Mr. Colquhoun ;) ) is invited to post an RP of at least 50 words and vote for your favorite pig & newt names! Please use the form and vote just once (though you may continue to RP if you wish).

We did put all of the names into consideration from the first thread... but just to be a little clearer this time around... this is supposed to be a roleplaying activity, not just a voting booth. :lol:

Mentors may RP if they'd like, but not vote... sorry guys! You had your turn. ;)

call me ishmael Mini Pig:

Newt:

[font=georgia][size=4][b][i][color=mediumvioletred]call me ishmael[/i][/b][/color][/size][/font] [font=palatino linotype][list][color=sienna][b]Mini Pig:[/b][/color] 
[b][color=orangered]Newt:[/color][/b][/font][/list]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

. . . . . We would like to thank everyone who contributed name suggestions, and our panel of prefect mentors who helped us narrow down the list! You've all made this, so far, a success! THANK YOU!

Edited by Miss Astrid McManus

Oliver tapped his foot against the linoleum floor of the classroom, listening to Mrs. Blithe drone on about something; he wasn't really paying attention. It seemed that Mrs. Blithe was only talking to stall for time, as if there was something else going on that was much more exciting. He had seen Ms. McManus leave the room for a bit, which was out of custom; the teachers never left the room for an extended period of time. Nevertheless, Oliver felt a sort of excited anxiety that something was going to happen soon, but he couldn't tell what.

Ms. McManus soon returned to the classroom and nodded to Mrs. Blithe, who instantly changed the topic to...what? Park landscaping? Oliver thought they weren't supposed to bring a lunch; he had a hard time explaining to his mum why she didn't have to pack him anything that morning, as he didn't have any other answers than "for something". Suddenly, though, the ruse was up! And longer recess...Oliver grinned a little as the teachers began to explain the luncheon and the pet name voting they were going to partake in today. Oliver glanced at the names on the board, already deciding which ones he liked the best, and headed into the other room to get a good look at all the goodies set out for a great lunch.

call me ishmael Mini Pig: Sir Oinker Porker the Twelfth (nicknamed Oinkz)

Newt: Bonnie & Clyde

Cameron did no longer attend Pre-Hogwarts Primary, nor did he wish to return. He hated that place. One whole summer had gone to waste. If there only had been pets around to have made his stay more enjoyable, then at least he would have had something decent to do during recess.

Newt: Yu & Mi (aka Yumi or Miyu)

Everyone also includes also me, right? Anyhow, Cameron sends his hate and hopes you’ll accept his vote <3

The names she'd picked, they were on the board! Lumina's face lit up and she excitedly tapped the classmate beside her repeatedly, telling them, "I picked Pancake and Peanut Butter and Jelly! You should vote for those if you know what's good for you," she insisted.

All of the excitement over the new animals made her forget about lunch and recess, which just goes to show you what a big deal having class pets was to the girl. Now remembering that they weren't supposed to bring along their own food today, Lumina wondered what the teachers had in store for the students. Miss McManus' announcement made her mouth drop open. They were supposed to landscape the park? ... What? But the teacher quickly told them the truth, and the girl closed her mouth again. They were getting new pets, a catered lunch and longer lunch and recess?

This was the best day ever.

call me ishmael Mini Pig: Pancake

Newt: Peanut Butter & Jelly

Wait, wait, WAIT!!! What was all this about lunches? Somebody had told him they didn’t have to bring their own lunches, he was sure of it. He had longed for some edible food and had thrown away his own lunch which he had conveniently forgotten to tell his mother he didn’t need just so he could get the extra candy. Luckily that joke didn’t last long or he would have been trying to see who had a lunch he could borrow.

He followed Miss McManus into the other room and spotted a pretty good amount of food set out, plenty that he felt comfortable voting first. There was a cluster of students around the voting box and Malcom found himself being repeatedly tapped by Lumina in an effort to win over his support for the names she had chosen. None of the ones he had chosen were an option so he figured he’d do a favor for his friend.

It was one of the last days of PHP and Geoff still hadn't made any friends. In fact, he wasn't even sure that anyone in the entire class knew who he was. There was nothing he could've done to stand out. Nothing. No one would know his name. Ever. It was sad really.

He had his lunch packed and ready for him. His nanny always made him the best lunch and normally it was gone before lunch time. However, this day he saved it. He caught his stomach rumbling. First things first though, it was time to vote on naming the pets. The two headed newt and the miniature pig. He looked at the names on the board. He blinked. Then he looked again. His pig name had been chosen as one of the finalists. He could hardly believe it. A small smile formed as he penned down the names.

Newt: Bonnie & Clyde

PHP had not been what Rory had expected, and if she was honest, she was bored with it. Maybe it was because she knew much of what she was being taught anyway, having parents who had gone to Hogwarts and a cousin who was there already, but the lessons were tedious and she found she spent much of her time poking Dex with sticks and trying to get him to skip lessons. She figured that was a valuable way to spend her time, but not everyone agreed. Least of all Dex.

Today, Dex had made her promise to be on her best behaviour, with no poking involved. So instead, she was doodling all over the voting form she had been given for the PHP pet names just to keep her hands busy. She didn’t really care what they were called anyway, she was only there for a summer, and she thought that “pig” and “newts” were just fine.

Newt: Yu & Mi

Being poked with sticks and coerced into skipping lessons had not been part of Dexter's summer plans. He was sure that regardless of where they were, Rory would find some way to poke him with sticks, but the lessons were unwanted, and he would be quite happy without them. He didn't even want to go to Hogwarts, and if he could get away with it, he was going to accidentally miss the train, so pre-Hogwarts primary was pointless, not that anyone but Dexter knew that was his plan.

Thankfully, Rory had agreed to be nice for a day, but Dexter couldn't help but screw his face up when he caught her doodling. Sometimes, sitting next to his cousin in class seemed like a bad idea. He could see everything she did that made him worry she was going to get in trouble. Carefully, Dexter peered over her shoulder and then neatly scribbled down the same choices as her.

Newt: Yu + Mi

Edited by Dexter Sawyer

Astrid was nibbling at a roll stuffed with chicken and cheese, a few cookies wrapped in a paper towel in her free hand, when she noticed that there seemed to be more students than normal today. Not many, mind you, but there was definitely something a little off.

Finally, after longer than it should have taken, she spotted the discrepancy.

"Mr. Colm-- Mr. Colquie-- Cameron!" she finally managed, laughing, as she recognized the boy from a couple summers ago. She could say his name properly when not so surprised, but there you have it.

"What in the world are you doing here?" she queried with a raised eyebrow, shaking her head with a chuckle. Clearly, they had become a little lax when it came to security and roll call. "Do stay for lunch and recess, but I think you can find some more interesting things to do on a regular summer day than going through PHP again, hmm?"

She offered him one of the cookies--double chocolate chip, mmm!--before going on her way to eavesdrop on the excited murmurs as ickles debated the pet names.

Up until now, his participation as a mentor for the soon-to-be first years had been minimal, almost non-existent. It wasn't that he'd been failing to fulfill his duties as such but there hadn't been many opportunities for him to be a part of. Most of the time Wesley settled for standing there in the background observing all the ickles and judging each and every one of them. A bit cruel perhaps, but he'd never been one for caring about what anyone would say regarding his actions. Besides, the thoughts were kept to himself, there was after all no one to discuss them with.

The name picking was going to be a tedious process. The laundry list of possible names had been narrowed down and from the remaining options the ickles had to choose their favorite. In his mind, he pictured the classroom suddenly becoming the center of a screaming match as eleven year olds shouted the name they'd be voting for. That of course, while highly entertaining because it would make them look like caged monkeys at a zoo, would probably not end up happening. Miss McManus and Mrs Blithe had better control of the class than that.

That couldn't be said about the ickles, who in Wesley's eyes their self-control was nonexistent. Regardless of his opinions, he'd have to wait along with the rest of the class until the official names of the pets were revealed. One thing was certain, none of the names would top that of his own cat. Snugglie was still by far the best name that could ever be given to an animal.

Valkyrie was quite disappointed that she didn't see her name choice on the board. Clearly, her heritage was too much for these people here. They probably didn't even know what bratwurst was, or, worst case scenario, they'd had it before that thought it was disgusting. She had never heard of that before, but apparently that was the sentiment on the isle they were on.

After she got over her pity party, the blonde gave the final list on the board a once-over. If her tasty bratwurst idea was no good, then the next tastiest options would have to do. There were two options on the mini-pig list: pancake and pepper. Both were edible, but only one was tasty, at least on its own. And the choice was obvious on the newt list. Both of the other options were completely over her head.

The eleven-year-old lifted her eyebrow and scribbled her answers down. If she had heard correctly, their recess was extended today, which meant she had an extended option to play on the monkey bars, provided she lined up quickly enough. Those shifty looking older students wouldn't beat her to her rightful spot on the playground!

Newt: PB & J

(I have permission to post this time :wub:)

Although he never wished to return to this place, one unfinished business had compelled the boy to ask his parents to bring him here. Once it had been taken care of, upon seeing the commotion, he just had to say his two cents and put his vote.

Cameron was very much surprised to hear someone call out his name as it had been two summers past since he was last here and the summer programme had yet to be the only classroom setting where the boy kept himself to the backgrounds. To his luck, the instructor to discover his presence had been Ms McManus and not Ms Blithe. From what he recalled, he could not stand to hear the latter’s voice as much as she liked to blab. Cameron thanked, smiled and laughed with her and then went on to accept her cookie.

When Aidan learned there were new pets at php, he was certain that the frogs were coming to haunt him. Narrowing his eyes as the teachers introduced them, he could not lie at the fact that he took a deep sigh of relief at the fact there were no frogs. A pig though? He could totally dig a pig. Plus, it was miniature and not as big as the lazy ones he had saw at the petting zoo he had gone to once. Grinning, he tapped his foot as he examined the name's list and instantly his mind was pulled to a book he had read once.

Pancake, perfect. He grinned as he placed his vote.

Glancing further down the list, he realized he had to name the Newt as well. Well, he was not all too sure what a Newt even was. However, it did not sound like something he wanted to find out about. Closing his eyes, he quickly pointed to a random name. Opening his eyes, he nodded as he wrote it down and sent his vote to Miss Astrid.

Edited by Aidan Zielinski

((A less-lousy RP will (maybe/hopefully) go here when I'm not feeling quite so exhausted. I'm terribly sorry for being boring. >_< <333 ))

"Drumroll, please?" asked Miss M after the votes were tallied; she was pleased when a few students obliged by pounding their hands or feet. She lifted the little pig, who squealed and grunted.

"Meet Pancake!" What a delicious name for bacon a little piggy! Astrid helped it wave with its little hoof before setting it down again.

The newt was hanging out in a potted plant--an African violet, to be precise--and Astrid coaxed it onto her hand. "Aaaaannnnndddd..... Peanut Butter and Jelly!"

PB&J scurried up her arm as though to get a better view of the class while Pancake found a dropped bit of sandwich, making quick work of the cleanup.

------------------------------------------

Many, many thanks to everyone for your participation! There were so many great name suggestions I was starting to wonder whether we should just get a whole menagerie of pets so we could use them all. ;)

This thread is open for RP'ing, if anyone wishes to continue. You may also RP with the pets in your Crystal Fountain Park threads or your homework, of course. Please remember to treat them with the love and care you'd show your own pets. <3