Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mrs Blithe

PHP Feedback

28 posts in this topic

PHP Feedback Thread

PHP has been around for quite a few years now and we'd really like to get some feedback whenever anyone has it. You don't have to post now, but we wanted to get it started because so many people are already working on their workbooks. These are just a few things we'd like to hear about! Give any feedback you'd like, this is an open discussion! You may also PM both of us your comments if it makes you feel more comfortable than posting them here.

• If you are completely new to VH, let us know if PHP has helped you get started! Is there anything that you still found confusing that we can clarify? One of our main goals is to try to help you learn the basics quickly so you can focus on your character's development.
  • If you have been through a previous version of PHP, what do you like better with the new version, or what could we have kept the same? Do you like the new lessons? Is there anything you feel still needs to be changed or added? Another goal is to ensure that you have lots of room for character development and RP opportunity while offering a relatively undemanding lesson plan that shouldn't become too tedious if you participate with future characters.
  • If you're not new to VH and have never participated in PHP before now, we definitely want to hear from you too! Go back to that day when you started VH and think about how there was a lot to take in and you weren't quite sure what to do or how to find people to RP with (hey, WE ALL had that day to some degree!). If this version of PHP had existed on that day, might you have felt more comfortable? Another goal! We want more people to stick around for all that VH has to offer! No one should feel overwhelmed or under-welcomed, and we want to help fight the good fight against losing new members with great VH potential. :wub:
  • If you're not a student but would like to offer feedback, feel free to PM us! We really want to know what everyone thinks, so we can try our best to continue improving PHP so even if it's a single thought or comment, please let us know!
  • Would you consider participating with a future character?

This thread will be posted year-round and you need not wait till the end of the year to post your comments... in fact, we may be able to improve/clarify things as we go based on feedback we receive, so don't hold back! You can also post as many times as you like, if you think of something else later.

Thank you! <333

Edited by Mrs Blithe

I think you should have an open posting message/corkboard, as they do in house common rooms so that we can post party invitations/ roleplay opportunies, and other fun things!

Edited by Alexandra Blackwood

Thanks, Alexandra! :wub:

Mrs Blithe and I talked this over, and this is one of those things that's a little bit tough to justify. The problem is that most of the House cork boards are for announcing things that SORTED students can participate in. Here in our own little world of PHP, we're sadly exempt from a lot of fun things like earning House Points or becoming History of Magic tutors. ;__; So, there's really not a great need to post such things here...

That's not to say we didn't like the idea. In fact, you inspired us to meet you halfway! We think that most of the things you'd want to post on a cork board would be related to an open (or requested limit of posters) thread... a party? Sure! Looking for some people to have a water balloon fight with? Awesome!

We really want to encourage any roleplaying opportunities, therefore we have renamed the Open Thread Signups the Cork Board and added some new information in the first post. Are there other things that you might like to announce? If they could be valuable to PHP as a whole, let Mrs Blithe or I know and we'll consider putting it in the main announcements thread.

I hope this will be a good solution. As we do have places already for large scale announcements, mentor groups, and open thread signups, we thought this might work better than adding a new thread. However, we're happy to take more suggestions or feedback on this change. We'll certainly take all thoughts into consideration! :wub:

(Edit: ewww, wrong font. XD)

Edited by Miss Astrid McManus

What about a place for owls to drop off messages? I mean it would be good that way because then the PHP kids would get messages from sorted people in a special cork board. It is just a thought...

Okay... I was mulling this over and something just occurred to me. Even though school is going on for the sorted class of VH23 right now, at the same time as your PHP class and for the same duration, Pre-Hogwarts is a little bit different than it will be after your Sorting. You have the whole VH year OOC to play outside of Hogwarts and at PHP, but IC'ly, Pre-Hogwarts Primary actually goes on during the summer following the VH23 class' first year. Sorted students would not be at Hogwarts to send letters, they'd be home for the summer, or possibly on vacation, etc.

An owl post thread actually appeals to me, but it may not be exactly what you were thinking in that one of your first year friends would go to the owlery and send you a note about their third week Potions class. For your character to receive a letter at PHP, the person sending it would have to PM it to Woden and it would be assumed to have been sent during the summertime. Maybe they sent you a postcard from the beach.

There's another option, if your character might be receiving letters from someone at Hogwarts before their summer at PHP. You can very successfully pull off a sort of psuedo-RP by starting a closed thread of your own in Homes and Holidays, and your friend can start one in the owlery--either strictly in letter format, or you could add your own RP of writing and sending it--then respond in each of your threads. Make sure you include a link to the other thread, though, or people might think you're talking to yourself. ;) While they're working on their first year at Hogwarts, your character will be in their last year of whatever school they attend before Hogwarts (and keep in mind that Muggleborns won't know they are attending the following year until their eleventh birthday, when the ministry official visits them).

Don't quiiiite get it? Two of your mentors illustrate this beautifully here with the response here.

We'll get back to you on the owl post thread so hold that thought. ;) I needed to get all this down while it still made sense. :lol:

O.k. so you want feedback - alright. Let me tell you exactly how I feel!

(OOC)

You both have done so much work here and (taking nothing away from the Love-Valentine) it is much easier. My first character was my first time on a site like this. You two have made it easier for newbies to practice RPing. When I went through - it was mostly just lessons and I never went to the park - there was really no reason - you lead people to the park and encourage RPing. You two have done a great job with PHP and Nica and Donni have a brother coming next - I hope you are here to meet him.

(IC)

"Just so you know, my little brother's smarter than me - but don't tell him I told you that!" donni says with a sly grin. B) He gives hugs and walks away thinking how much he's going to miss PHP - but ooooooo he can't wait to get sorted!!!!!

**leaves 2 lunches and 2 big plates of cookies**

Edited by Donni Montain

You guys so totaly rock! This pre hogwarts primary made me laugh but love it anyway. Great jobs. Especially with the links and going around the site.

For future referances :

- what about adding a mini quidditch game

- or even a mini dueling chamber? of course not fancy spells like scalping your opponent.

However:

- no offence here, but since this is a school, shouldn't be there more IC assignments? Or threads? I mean, that perhaps somem of the assignments you give throughout the lessons perhaps they could be an extra after a lesson IC. Like an extra option for homework. I don't know i could be mistaken here but anyway. My 1 knut!

Thank you, Donni! :wub:

And Claire, I know we already talked on MSN but I thought I'd post here also in case anyone else had the same thoughts. <3

It has been suggested before that people learn about quidditch & dueling at PHP, but because VH has it's own rules, system & structure for both quidditch & dueling that are exclusive to VH, none of that will be visible to anyone until they're sorted. It's one of the perks of actually sticking around long enough to be sorted, and gives you all something extra to look forward to! ;)

And when we decided to rewrite PHP, the IC vs OOC thing was an issue that popped up quite often, but we decided that, because there are three other forums for IC RPs for pre-hogwarts students, as well as 7+ years of RPing ahead of you at Hogwarts, that there's plenty of RP opportunity outside of the PHP Classroom. And the whole point of PHP is to help people who are new to VH, or who need a little extra help figuring things out, by giving them as much OOC info as we could to introduce them to the site. So trying to force that information into an IC format wouldn't be nearly as helpful.

Thank you for your suggestions! :wub: And let us know if you have any other ideas!

Yes actually i do have one more. I don't know but in my school, we used to have a small gallery with kids drawings, OR a mini theater play. I can totally understand that this might be difficult to do here as a graduation ceremony but what we could do perhaps is a thread where everyone get's a mini diploma from PHP IC wishing them good luck at Hogwarts and such. Perhaps alumni could ask a few of us to say hi to the sorting hat or a specific teacher or anything really.

Well, you will receive one or more certificates as a profile item for doing your workbook. ;) However, having a sort of graduation ceremony thread to award these is definitely an option we could consider, and one that's actually crossed my mind as well. XD Obviously we couldn't call up each student individually and wait for them to respond, but I'm thinking of a few ideas that could work. I'll talk to Mrs Blithe; this might be something we'd wait until closer to sorting (and therefore, closer to PHP graduation) to put up, but this is a good idea. (y)

As for mini plays, drawings, etc... these could all be RP'd if you wish, as options you can find in the Lunch and Recess Thread. BUT, if I get what you're saying, you mean things that would be showcased at a potential graduation ceremony. Yes. I see this as something actually quite plausible. Pending my talking to Mrs Blithe and us making a formal announcement on this, nothing is official... but if you were to start plotting a play or performance OFF the board (so it can be more of a surprise), it really would not be a terrible thing. (y)

It is far too early for this, Miss Connely. You've got my brain working faster than the coffee can take hold. XD <3

OHHEY, remember what I said about none of this was official until I had a chance to talk to everyone else who should be involved? Yeah, that still applies. XD We are still considering something similar this but it needs more thought than I was capable of this morning. ;)

Hello, I just thought that maybe I should express my gratitude to the PHP primary and also aplaud them on their new system. Although I have not yet got a student to try it out with, I really think that the new system seems to be wonderful (even though the other one was great!) and I think that you should all be really proud of yourselves. Also, I think that people will really get a sense of the site before they properly join up and they will know what to do when they get to school.

AMAZING! WELL DONE! :D

Thanks so much, Helena! :wub: We hope you'll join us with a future alt and try it out firsthand! <3333

I wouldn't change a thing! :)

Edited by Amelia Swift

Amelia, thanks so much! We're glad you're able to use the experience for character development and think you'll be happy for it later. :wub:

I actually liked it. And I love the graduation idea! Maybe make it like the Sorting Ceremony? The child posts, then Mrs. Blithe or Miss. McManus posts on their post, their grade and their certificates/awards. Just a thought. :D

I love this version of PHP so much! I have been in the Love-Valentine and had Ms. Bell a while back, and I must say this is the most helpful if I was brand new. I am especially glad that there is a lesson on avatars and such. When I was new I had to ask one of my friends who had been doing it a while what exactly I was doing, and for people who wouldn't have friends OOC that they already new on here it would be hard to ask a random person. Also, the lessons were easier which was better. It was very overwhelming in the older ones. I loved Ms. Bell and the Love-Valentines, but it was hard to follow what exactly we were supposed to do. I liked the extra credit too. Though I didn't do any of it. I just don't like doing it personally, I like the extra credit ideas though.

let me just say that having a thread where people can join for open threads in groups and announce their own open threads...it's just fantastically brilliant!

The new PHP seems a lot less daunting than the last and everything is really easy to find and organised. It's really great to be able to read other workbooks and get to know characters before Sorting, it makes it ten times easier to plot and talk on MSN. You guys have done an amazing job.

Despite being on VH for a while, it's been great to get to know my character more and others - you get a real feel for what the year is going to be like - it's a really good opportunity and everyone should take advantage of it when making a new student.

Plus, a lot of the lessons and the extra credit options and homework options are great for thread ideas. Already I have a lot of stuff I want to do when Sorting arrives and PHP has been a massive part of that. Thank you for your hard work and for helping me find out more about Ewan's character, you guys are awesome.

Also - Piñata <3333

I've gone through the PHP system once before, and this time around it was miles better!

The lessons and EC option provided are a lot easier to do. And they also happen to be a lot more interesting. The workbooks are a lot better to do and it is nice to see them all together and it is great to read them all.

I feel this time around PHP as been a better place to get to know people both in and out of character and I love the little additions along the way such as mentoring, the duck duck goose game and more recently the Pinata game. I love how the threads allow us to have such fun RP in situations not given to us before the new PHP was set up. It also makes unsort RP's a lot more exciting due to new circumstances to RP.

For the next VH year I hope you do the same sort of activities for the VH25-ers to enjoy because they sure will!

Also I think a graduation ceremony would be an awesome way of saying goodbye to VH. Especially if its done the way sorting is as recommended above. I think it would be really cool to see everyone's grades and what they've won and their accomplishments and other things along those lines.

PHP was awesome and I had such fun completing my workbook! I never expected to finish it so fast!

My ideas so far :

1) love the system. It offers you a great deal of infos especially if you are new to the site.

2) lessons are less demanding which can be a great thing, because they give you time to familiarize with everything and see how other people are interacting with the site the lessons etc.

3) however since there are more people who aren't new to this, i would like to borrow an idea professor Sprout had first. TUNNELS. What i have in mind is that you guys could create a lesson's map, where each kid would chose different path. For this you would have to seperate the lessons into two parts. One part that would be a small practical homework and one where there will be a more detailed one. Each student will have to chose his own path through this lesson's map filled with tunnels. According to which path he/she will take he/she will have to do the corresponding homeworks.

That.

I'm not new to VH, but this is my first time going through PHP! I absolutely LOVE IT. It really gave me a great opportunity to develop my character a lot before the sorting. The activities and games are very fun, and you should definitely include more if that is possible! I can't think of many ways that it could be improved, besides adding on to what you already have.

Perhaps you could simulate a VH lesson. Start a thread in the Park with a lesson included, and people can post replies as part of their homework and a link to it in their workbook. Or, maybe threads for field trips and such that everyone can post in as a group.

Thank you so much for creating a great Pre-Hogwarts experience!

I'm really enjoying PHP so far, it's been a blast doing the lessons and RPing at PHP. It's way better than only having the train to RP on. Never again D:

It's been a blast to meet other students before sorting. Alexis is a pureblood so she's already met some before Hogwarts but I've had a muggleborn character that I felt like I couldn't RP much before sorting. That wasn't fun but if I had PHP back then, I would probably have liked that character better as I would get a chance to develop them before Hogwarts.

However, I was looking at the badges section in the shops and saw that the Avid Afterschooler Certificate is a lot prettier than Extracurricular Overachiever Certificate. I am so tempted to skip two of the nine extra credit activities because I really want the rainbow in my profile. I've talked to other people too and they generally agree with me about this.

So... Can you make the rainbow certificate for doing every extra credit activity instead of just seven? I want to work towards something awesome :3

:wub: x1000 for you guys

Hats off to you guys for making such a program ^.^

Since I'm new here and everything, doing PHP has helped me find things around VH and with coding. I remember trying to figure out how in the world you were supposed to change color and fonts. :blush: The lessons were always in depth and helped us newbies get everything together before sorting and we also got to meet new people!

Everything was clear and easy to follow and whenever I got lost, I'd comb through PHP to look through things again. It looks like you guys put a lot of work into this and I think it really shows. Though I didn't sign up for it, the PHP mentoring program was a really neat thing- wish I'd done it D:

But it was really helpful and I had lots of fun with coding and developing Jonathan.

Thanks, guys! :wub:

I take my hat off for you and offer you the highest of fives!

You have done a wonderful job with the new system and although I must admit that I didn't take full advantage of what it had to offer (mostly due to lack of time) I really do believe that this version of PHP was a great improvement from the previous one.

I, like Johnathan, struggled last year with understanding the technical side of the site and the improvement in this side in the PHP program was tremendous! I actually learned new stuff from it which the last PHP didn't cover and I didn't know about the site even though my first character is almost a second year!

I had a grand time completing the Workbook and developing Finick through it and even though like I said before that I didn't take full advantage of the RPing apportunities it had to offer I still learned a lot about him and the things I missed were mymooss...

I actually would have liked to see more RP opportunities within the actual lessons as EC. Like teaming up with someone to complete a task (sort of like the picnic threads of last year) or what Azalia suggested about the lesson simulation. Things that will both help the newbies prepare for VH and help everyone develop their character.

I really think one or two more options for each lesson where you can choose which one you like best would have been better than the plain old no option "pick an animal and tell me why I picked it" kind of EC.

That way people would get the chance to choose what assigment they feel is easier for them to complete for their EC and if they really want to they can make use of the other options (or the ideas behind them, sometimes by thinking about someone else's ideas you get your own) into pure character development and fun.

Personally I have no idea how people lived before PHP! Especially muggle-born characters - they had next to no character development opportunities before sorting before there was PHP! I'm so glad I arrived here after it was created. I probably would have gone nuts from trying to figure out how things worked and left before I realized how fun and awesome RPing is! (particulary in this site and this wonderful community!)

Another thing that I would like to add like some before me is that the Extracarricular Overachiever Cartification lacks a great amount of colour and fun... It's very dull compared to the others. (even the Lazy Daisy one looks nicer!)

I also really like the Graduation Ceremony idea. It could be really cool and exciting to see our baby ickle chicks graduate in a Sorting Ceremony type of thread :)

I think that's it for now! :]

I hope this helps and be sure that I'll come back with another character when I decide to make another one in the future! ^^