Ann Asian

Ravenclaw

• Alumni
  • 4,449 posts
  • Quidditch Points:620
  • Wizard Points:400

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:32 AM

Lyrics: West Side Story

The novelty of the shiny badge was fast wearing off. Ann saw it as a responsibility, something that she'd been entrusted to do, and whilst she still felt surges of pride at the thought, the Ravenclaw couldn't help but feel a little overwhelmed with the sudden changes that were promptly instigated.

The changes, she tried to take it in her stride. When the clock hit the time, she'd left her studying where she'd been located in the common room, before promptly slipping out of the common room. Patrols, such a disruption to academic success.

It was dark out, obviously, and Ann was pretty sure nobody would be out after curfew. Really, it was against the rules, and why anyone would go about breaking rules was beyond Ann. She'd been told otherwise though, but hadn't had the evidence to back that up. Sighing as she pushed open the door to the trophy room, peering in and making sure to look in the various corners. Was that- ooh shiny!

A noise from behind her caused the Prefect to jump, turning around and pull out her wand, all in one movement. She wasn't going to yell out, that was a stupid, reckless thing to do. Instead, she murmured "lumos," as she braced herself for the worst- a Slytherin.

"Demi? What are you doing here?" Ann whispered with a sense of urgency, all the while forgetting to lower her wand so the light wasn't shining in Demi's face. "You know it's past curfew, right?"

-----
Lumos: Light spell (Second Year charms)

#2 Demitria Crawford

Demitria Crawford

Ravenclaw

• Ravenclaw 7th Year
  • 775 posts
  • Quidditch Points:432
  • Wizard Points:148

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:51 AM

"You're crazy, Demi!"

Demi suppressed the instantaneous bristling as much as possible, but there were some things in the world of emotion that not even she could contain. She was almost painfully aware of how her body clicked into a slightly more defensive stance than it had been a moment ago. She was not crazy. She had hoped someone like Devlin would understand that weight that came with that word, the meaning behind it. Her mind flashed involuntarily to her summer, to the long days spent inside their house with the constant feeling of being watched making the hairs on the back of her neck stand up.

She'd not realised how much had changed since she'd begun attending Hogwarts, how accustomed she'd become to not spending her days with her ears pricked to the slightest sound.

Foolish.

"I am not," she responded, noting that her reply had been a second too late, "Since when did being concerned for the future warrant the diagnosis of 'crazy'?"

She really wasn't crazy. Their mother was crazy - and Demi was not her mother.

The memories of the conversation she'd had with her brother flashed into her mind as she watched Ann Asian, newly appointed Ravenclaw Prefect, roam around the school. How was taking some helpful tips from an older student crazy? She wanted to get somewhere in life, thank you, and Ann was obviously getting somewhere - so why not get her advice?

Not that Demi needed advice.

Suddenly, Ann turned around and a brightly lit wand was being shoved in her face. She winced at the sudden assault on her senses.

"Hello, Ann." This was not the way she had wanted to be found, "Is it really past curfew? Why, I'd not noticed." It was true - she really hadn't noticed it was past curfew when she finally left the tower.

Well, she had a reason for being here, right? Might as well get on with it.

"Do you mind if I walk with you for a bit?"

#3 Ann Asian

Ann Asian

Ravenclaw

• Alumni
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:44 AM

Demitria Crawford was certainly one of a kind- not in a terrible way either. The fifth year raised an eyebrow at the younger girl as she pleaded ignorance. It was a smart move, really, especially with someone like Ann. The Prefect lowered her wand a little, frowning a little at the request.

"W-well...it is past curfew," she told the younger girl- as though it hadn't been clear enough the first time. She crossed her free arm over her chest slightly defensively as she tried to think this through logically.

Not knowing it was past curfew was an honest mistake, and Ann could remember times when even she'd been out past curfew- making the mad dash from the library back to the common room and hoping she wouldn't get stopped. It wasn't fair to Demi for her to be disciplined for not knowing something, and Ann felt that it was her duty (as one of the older students) to pass on as much knowledge as possible- something that, admittedly, she'd just done.

"Where?" She asked, a little confused. Or perhaps Demi meant walk back to the common room with her. Maybe she was scared of walking in the dark by herself? Yes, that must have been it! "I've still got to patrol for a bit, but I can take you back to the common room later?" She told the younger student, moving toward the door of the trophy room. Once there, the Ravenclaw turned to face Demi, waiting for the confirmation that she was coming along.

"What were you doing anyway?" she asked curiously, "before I saw you." Anything that caused people to be so absorbed to skew time perception must have been good.

#4 Demitria Crawford

Demitria Crawford

Ravenclaw

• Ravenclaw 7th Year
  • 775 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:29 PM

Demi breathed a little easier when Ann lowered her wand. If Ann Asian were anything, she was a brilliant duelist. Demi did not care to be on the receiving end of whatever punishment the prefect deemed fit. The second year watched as Ann seemed to ponder over whether she was truly innocent or not.

Was what she said true? Yes. She hadn't noticed it was past curfew. Was she innocent? No. She had been completely aware when she set out on her journey that by her missions completion it would be past curfew, she just simply could not recall the defining moment where it went from being legal for her to roam the corridors to it being illegal.

Close enough.

"I'm sorry, Ann," She was sorry for lying to the gullible older girl. Not so much for breaking the rules. "I just needed to walk around for a bit. To get some fresh air," lies, "I saw you and thought you might like some company. I could help you with your patrol?"

Who said Demi couldn't act innocent? :ph34r: Her very Hogwarts career depended on this conversation, so act she would. In fact, she would act so well that Ann would not be able to help passing on some helpful advice to her... helpful advice that Demi would use to excel in lessons (like she needed help with that) and to perhaps even get prefect when she was old enough. How good would prefect look on a resume? She would not be unemployed when she left Hogwarts.

"What was I doing? Like I said, merely catching some fresh air."

Pleasebelievemepleasebelievemepleasebelieveme...

#5 Ann Asian

Ann Asian

Ravenclaw

• Alumni
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:03 PM

Ann sighed a little, trying to decide what the best course of action was. She couldn't very well give Demi trouble for something so innocent, and besides, the second year had just apologised.

"No, no. Honesst mistake," she replied, still frowning. She didn't know what she was meant to say. Catching fresh air sounded like a feasible excuse, and even Ann knew how hard it was to study if she couldn't clear her head. The situation was new to her though, and immediately she wondered what Monika would do- because Monika seemed much more adept at this Prefecting thing than she did. But the more she thought about it, the more she thought it was a bad idea...sending Demi back to the dorm by herself, that was. Especially if the girl may have been scared of the dark (in Ann's mind).

And if that was the case, then Ann couldn't very well leave the poor girl to sit in the trophy room by herself. It would be cruel, and yet she'd already wasted precious time lingering here. But taking the second year along with her, however, that was feasible. "Yeah, that might be best," she murmured, nodding a little as she led the way out of the trophy room.

"We can't talk too loud," she told the younger student as she walked down the corridor, "we don't want to wake the portraits up you see. Everybody needs sleep, and oh...wand...nox," she continued in a whisper as she extinguished the light. "Don't be scared though. Nothing bad should happen," Ann continued trying to be as reassuring as possible. It wasn't easy walking in the dark, and being scared of it made things so much more difficult.

Walking down the corridors, the fifth year worked hard to contain a yawn. She was still getting a hang of these patrols and could only imagine how taxing (she assumed) it must have been on Demi. "Are you holding up okay?" She whispered to the younger student.

#6 Demitria Crawford

Demitria Crawford

Ravenclaw

• Ravenclaw 7th Year
  • 775 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:17 PM

The light from Ann's wand was extinguished and a light spot was left in her eyesight. The prefect had believed her lie about wanting to get fresh air and even agreed to Demi accompanying her for the rest of the patrol. All in all, her plan was going swimmingly well. Now onto Phase Two. But how to approach it?

Ann lead the way out of the Trophy Room and Demi followed silently, like a shadow. Demi had never really been afraid of the dark, but she was on edge from the holidays and thus she did quicken her pace so as to be closer to Ann. Oddly, she trusted the fifth year to protect her if things went bad - not that she expected them to. But if they did, she knew Ann had her back. Hopefully.

"Portraits sleep?" she asked incredulously, keeping her voice to a whisper. She had just assumed that they... well, no. Demi had never really thought about what portraits did. They were just there. Her mind wandered, now taking in the realm of possibilities to do with portraits. Was it possible for them to consume, actually consume, painted food? Or would that just leave a gap in the painting?

So distracted was she, she momentarily forgot her purpose for walking with Ann. Luckily, the older girl asked another question. Demi glanced up at her face and noticed how tired she looked. She'd never seen Ann... tired before. Ann could get tired?

"I'm doing fine," she said, just as a wave of lethargy hit her. She stifled a yawn so that her previous statement could remain true, "you?"

She'd begin asking her questions after Ann answered, she decided.

#7 Ann Asian

Ann Asian

Ravenclaw

• Alumni
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:44 PM

Nodding in response to the younger student's question, Ann was silent for a moment, until she realised that it was dark, and Demi probably couldn't see her nodding. Well wasn't this just lovely?

"Yeah, the sleep. Well, I'd think they did anyway...or tried to, if people weren't shining lights in their faces all the time. It is night time so I think they'd sleep...that's what normal people do anyway." Ann replied softly, stopping for a moment to look back on the corridor they'd just covered. It didn't look like there was any students there, it seemed peaceful almost.

Hearing the stifled yawn, caused Ann to feel another surge of tiredness. She rubbed at her eyes a little and shook her head, as though that would rid herself of the tirdness. "I'm alright, just tired is all," she murmured, poking her head into one of the classrooms. "I've been staying up later recently," she felt the need to explain after coming to the conclusion that the classroom was, in fact, empty. "It must be super late for you to be up," she continued, a little concerned for Demi. "You'll be able to stay up in class tomorrow, right?" Ann certainly hoped so.

#8 Demitria Crawford

Demitria Crawford

Ravenclaw

• Ravenclaw 7th Year
  • 775 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:00 PM

There was a prolonged pause before Ann answered her question. A sudden fear had gripped Demi in the seconds before Ann's response came - had she said too much? Was her curiosity showing? Was sleeping portraits a cultural taboo? She still wasn't sure about the taboo, but Ann had still answered the question.

She knew it was frivolous, letting her mind wander on information that she didn't even know was true. And yet she couldn't help but feel a spike of adrenaline at the thought of her and Ann committing a cultural crime together. Tonight was a night of many firsts for Demi - here she was, out after curfew and possibly talking about things she wasn't supposed to. In short, Demitria was breaking the rules.

"Oh," she finally whispered back. "Good thing you snuffed your wand." Why was she stating an obvious fact? This year was proving to be very odd for her already.

She was startled by Ann's question. Would she be able to stay awake in class tomorrow? She was unsure. Demi made a note to drink coffee at breakfast tomorrow. "Do you have to stay up late often as a Prefect? And I should be fine for tomorrow," Demi paused for a second, mulling over her next course of action, "Do you mind if I ask you some questions?

#9 Ann Asian

Ann Asian

Ravenclaw

• Alumni
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:02 PM

There was a brief silence after Ann had explained things to Demi, and Ann was a little uneasy at it. She even turned her head a little just to check that the younger student was still there. Luckily, she was, and Ann used this time to attempt to yawn. It was quite a fail yawn, only half coming out, but it was a yawn nonetheless.

"Uh-huh," she responded mid-yawn as she nodded along with the second year. It felt like an appropriate time to respond after all. The next thing Demi said, Ann had to give more than a nod that her companion couldn't see. She actually had to give some sort of answer, and it was one that Ann had never really thought about prior to this.

"Well," she sighed, frowning a bit as she stuck her head round to stare up at a staircase, trying to figure out if it was going to move on her or not. "Define often," she replied chuckling a little. "Just a night every so often," she continued softly, "it's these blasted OWLs that I stay up for. I don't want to fail," she told the younger student. Although it probably should have, it didn't feel weird to be saying it aloud. Ann thought it was a legitimate thing to be worried about, after all, she could very well mess up her entire future if she didn't do well this year.

Luckily, Ann didn't have much time to linger on this. Demi's question, odd as it seemed, claimed Ann's attention, and shrugging a little, the Prefect responded simply with a, "sure." What was the harm? It wasn't like Demi was going to ask her about the birds and the bees, right?

#10 Demitria Crawford

Demitria Crawford

Ravenclaw

• Ravenclaw 7th Year
  • 775 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:08 PM

Her eyes felt heavy and Demi rose her hands to rub at them, hoping the physical contact would shock them into staying open. What time was it? She really should have included time when planning this.. A lack of thinking ahead did not bode well for her future. She would need to be more careful next time, especially if she wanted to be considered mature and trustworthy.

Ann mumbled some response that Demi did not properly hear, but she nodded anyway to keep up appearances. She was not entirely sure that Ann could see her nodding, but she did not feel bothered enough to confirm that she'd heard Ann. Demi allowed her fingers to lightly touch the cool surface of the castle walls as they walked, a leniency she would only permit in a situation such as this where no-one could see it.

Oh, Demi thought in surprise. OWLs. She'd not even taken them into consideration when thinking of why Ann would be kept up late at night. In her head it was hard to imagine Ann ever needing to really study for anything. The girl seemed to know everything ever, despite being a wee bit gullible. Perhaps the prefect just wanted to be extra sure that she would pass her OWLs with flying colors - which Demi had no doubt she would. She was Ann Asian, after all. "I'm sure you won't fail," Demi reassured her.

Demi fidgeted a bit when Ann gave her the green light to begin asking her questions and was glad for the fact that the darkness swallowed her movements whole. "It's nothing really," she began, keeping her voice level, "I was just curious about your early years at Hogwarts. Were you involved in many miscellaneous things? And how often did you practice dueling?"

Ann wouldn't think her questions were weird, right?

#11 Ann Asian

Ann Asian

Ravenclaw

• Alumni
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:26 PM

It was almost a relief to be able to tell someone that she was scared of failing. Almost. Demi, although she had reassuring words to say, did very little to resolve Ann's fear. "But these are OWLs," she reiterated, that should have explained a whole lot more. "I don't want to fail anything, and not be able to take them next year....it could mess up my whole future," she continued trying to keep her voice level. It was hard not to let the panic show in her voice.

Breathing shallowly as she waited for the question, Ann inclined her head so she was able to look at Demi out of the corner of her eye. Oh Merlin, this wasn't going to be about the Pumpkin Patch was it? Or alien babies? What if it was about that thing that made Ann all grumpy and tired? She realy hated talking about that, but someone had to explain it to the younger student (if she hadn't been told already).

Nothing? Ann raised an eyebrow suspiciously. Oh Merlin, it was that thing wasn't it? She wasn't prepared to have this talk with anyone. She didn't know much about that! She knew more about- "Er...my early years at Hogwarts?" Why did Demi want to know about that? Ann scrunched her eyes shut for a bit, shaking her head to make sure she hadn't slipped into a dream, before opening them. Nope, the corridor was still as quiet and silent as ever.

"I went to class, played Quidditch and duelled a lot." She told the younger student. "I wrote for the Eager Eagle too," How helpful was any of this? "Uhm...I duelled whenever I could. I love duelling," as if anyone couldn't tell. "I've been entering the duelling tournament every year too. It's really fun, you should try it some time."

With that, the Prefect began the climb up some random flight of steps. Her feet knew the route of the rounds now, and she didn't really need to think about it. "Why do you ask anyway? It's not something I've been asked before," she ended up admitting.

#12 Demitria Crawford

Demitria Crawford

Ravenclaw

• Ravenclaw 7th Year
  • 775 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:06 PM

Demi could not comprehend how Ann was freaking out over this. There was simply no imaginable way that Ann would fail her OWLs. "Yes, and? Simply imagine it is like any other test," Demi supplied. That's all an OWL was, right? A test? Sure, a pretty important one, but still. If you did the right thing and studied properly, you'd do fine, "Will not fretting cause you to stress and thus possibly lower you score? Honestly, Ann. You will do fine."

That message had been Demitria Blaise Monique Crawford approved.

Demi kept the frown off her face as Ann described her activities as an ickle. Cancelling out the dueling, it was much the same as what Demi had been doing. And yet she did not feel accomplished. Not like how she expected Ann felt, "Oh," she said softly. It wasn't quite the answer she had been looking for, "I don't think dueling is for me, personally. I cannot ever seem to manage to win a duel."

It was true. Demitria could not recall a duel that she had one. She would admit to being a little bit jealous of Ann's adeptness in the activity, "I'm perfectly okay with just being a helper each year." She said. Ann's inquiry for why she wanted to know caught her off guard. What was she supposed to say? She couldn't reveal her actual reason, she would look silly. She did not want to be called crazy again - not after her brother had already done so.

"No particular reason," she finally replied, "Just asked out of curiosity." Would that fool the prefect? She didn't have much else after that.

#13 Ann Asian

Ann Asian

Ravenclaw

• Alumni
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:53 PM

She just wasn't getting it. In the darkness, the Prefect shook her head silently, slightly in exasperation. She wouldn't utter a word though, Demi was young, a few years younger than she, and Ann doubted she'd understand the intensity of OWLs. Ann, herself, remembered being a second year, when Idril had been sitting OWLs. All she had been excited about was watching Idril practise switching spells and the likes.

"Mmm, yeah," Ann ended up replying, still trying to contain the panic internally. She'd just have to find Aoibhe later and freak out about it with her, obviously. Although, come to think of it, Ann didn't think Aoibhe would freak about it. She was always much more concientious and actually understood everything they were taught in class, unlike Ann who seemed to have the propensity to absorb only the interesting things.

She wasn't sure whether Demi's 'oh' had been a good one or a bad one, but Ann didn't think much of it. Making a "mmm" sound as she stifled another yawn, the Ravenclaw nodded a little as she looked around at the top of the flight of stairs. Stairs were much easier to climb a single flight at a time, she'd decided. Having to climb many flights of stairs at the beginning of the year, the Ravenclaw frowned at the memory, allowing the frown to continue at Demi's comment about duelling.

"It's not about winning or losing," she chastised gently, a single jerk of the head to tell Demi the direction they were going in. "Duelling is a great skill, it'll help lots in defense," she continued. "I remember winning my first duel. It was quite late in the year," she continued nonchalantly. "I learned a lot from the older duellists though. Which is why entering the tournaments are a good idea." Because a gentle shove in that direction could do wonders, or so Ann thought anyway.

Asking out of curiousity seemed like a feasible reason, and Ann decided to leave it at that. Instead of inquring, she stuck her head into another classroom, making sure it was fully empty before withdrawing it. "There's some stairs down there that's a quicker way back to the common room, but those are liable to moving at this time of night," She'd already been caught out a few times by those stairs, "or there's the ones over there-" here Ann pointed to the other set, "-that is a more convoluted way, but it doesn't move as much." Demi probably knew this, but Ann didn't like silence, which was what made patrols uncomfortable sometimes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users