• Announcements

• Weasley

How to get sorted   03/03/2018

To find the Sorting Form, click on the "Sort Me!" tab at the top of the page.    Before you go to fill out the form, make sure that you have a username that follows our rules. If you don't, your form will be rejected. You can change your name once yourself, by going to Account Settings -> Display Name. If you've already used your one change, you can request a name change in this topic. Be sure to read the first post in the topic carefully so we can get you updated without any back and forth.   Please take your time and fill out the form thoughtfully, so the hat will have the information it needs to put your character in the right house.    Calendar: Sorting Form appears: Saturday, March 3rd Sorting Form closes: Friday, April 6th (No forms will be accepted after this date) The Sorting Ceremony closes: Sunday, April 8th, about 10am Central Time You find out your new house: Sunday, April 8th, 11 am Central Time First day of the new school year: Monday, April 9th   (For reference: Central Time Zone includes Chicago, Illinois)   How to get sorted:   1. Register with a name that follows our rules. The registration agreement explains the rules about names. You can also find them in the Rules.   2. Remember you may only send in one form total for this school year. If you send forms in from multiple accounts, we will not sort ANY of them. Then we have to feel bad about not sorting you. Don't make us feel bad, please.   3. Click on the Sort Me tab and fill out the sorting form as thoroughly as possible. The better we understand your character, the more likely we can put you in the right house. See "How to use the form" below if you're confused. For some in depth information on each house, please check out this topic on sorting. (Note: After you fill out the form, a copy will be PMed to you. Please save that because we delete them from our system after sorting.)   4. Wait for a PM from the Sorting Hat. Be patient, it could take a few days. If you don't receive a PM from the Sorting Hat within 4 or 5 days, contact one of the moderators.   5. If your form is: Accepted: Congratulations! You should now go post in the Sorting Ceremony topic in the New Member resources forum. This is very important. This post is where you'll go to find out what the Sorting Hat had to say about you. Don't skip this step! Rejected: Don't worry, you can still be sorted. Be sure to read the reasons for the rejection carefully, then edit your form (just click on the Get Sorted! link again) to fix the problem. Once you've done that, you can send the form in again. 6. That's it! Once you've gotten your acceptance letter AND posted in the Sorting Ceremony, you're all set. You'll find out where the Sorting Hat put you on Sorting day when you can check the Great Hall for the edited Sorting Ceremony.   How to use the form: The form is pretty straightforward and user friendly. Here are a couple tips: You don't need to fill the whole thing in at one sitting. You can finish one page at a time and save it. Then finish the rest later. Don't use your browser's Back or Forward buttons. Use the buttons in the form to Navigate.  If you don't fill out all the questions on a page, you can't save or move on. If you don't meet the word number requirements in the In Depth section, you can't submit the form. Use the "Check Word Count" buttons to see how many words you've used. If you fill in the wrong answers on the quiz page, you won't be able to submit the form. After you've submitted the form, you can't access it anymore. But if your form is rejected, you'll be able to see it again with your old answers still filled in. Still have questions? Ask here.    Note: Section I: Short Answer Please include a brief explanation with each answer. I'd like to remind you all to include an explanation with all the short answer questions. The answers to those questions aren't very useful for sorting unless you explain them.   Otherwise, we don't have enough information to sort you with. (Translation: we'll have to reject it.)     Many thanks as always to Arianna Wright for her hard work revising and updating the form and to Faraz Memon for initially coding it many years ago. <3
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mrs Blithe

The Great Coding Library

2 posts in this topic

The Great Coding Library

. . . The Coding Library serves to show you how to do all the pretty/fancy tricks that most long time VHers already know.

Now the first Rule of posting is...

Always Preview your post before submitting it Why? Tag errors, things didn't appear exactly how you wanted, many reasons. Professors prefer that you only submit your assignments Once without any editing. So preview your post first to make sure there aren't any coding mistakes.

Let's start with the basics just to make sure we covered them. 

qtO73Ll.jpg (1344×711)

You can also access some of these modes through coding formulas!  BOLD Italics Underlined Strikethrough Sub-script and Super-script

and [sup]Super-script[/sup]

Fonts! Now I can hear you saying, but fonts are self-explanatory. You highlight which text you want and then click the font on the scroll down bar. Right? Well, here's a trick that you may not have known. VH supports more fonts than just those! We simply prefer that you use those since they are easiest to read. If you want to do something fancier in a post, for example make a sign:

Pre-Hogwarts Primary Summer School

[size="5"][font="Viner Hand ITC"]Pre-Hogwarts Primary Summer School[/font]

Remember! not all fonts will appear on VH - try to stick with fonts that came standard on your computer and Always Preview your post before submitting it! Also, for the sake of other people, please use legible fonts for your general Role Playing. It hurts the eyes to try and read some of the more complicated fonts, much like using the lighter colors...

Which brings us to... COLOR!

As with the fonts, VH does in fact support more colors than are shown in our color chart. Every color has a hex code that allows the computer to know exactly which color you want to appear. See below.

I use this website for most of my color choices -- > Hex Color Code Generator.

If I need a color that isn't listed... or isn't exactly the shade I want, I use this one ---> Hex Color Code Chart

Both are very good resources to have when deciding colour.

Now, something else you can also do with colour. [borrowed from Miss Claire Abienne's VHOT Coding Library]

Remember the Strikethrough and Underline?

This is how to change the color of your strikethrough or your underline only without changing the color of your text.

[color=limegreen][s][color=black]This is how to change the color of your strikethrough[/color][/s][/color][color=magenta][u][color=black] or your underline only without[/color][/u][/color] changing the color of your text.

Now I'm sure you're wondering... how did you make links? The code for that is below.

[url="http://www.2createawebsite.com/build/hex-colors.html"]Hex Color Code Generator[/url]

Oh look! It's me!

Icon created by Lilia McEvans.

A note: Always, Always, Always! give credit for images, avatars, and banners unless you made them yourself.) The easiest way is to credit the creator when you upload the image into the gallery.

I am quoting myself, Say What?

I am quoting myself, Say What?

[quote] I am quoting myself, Say What?[/quote]

How do you show all this amazing code?
[=code]Oh look code...[=/code] (but remove the = from them)

Now that you've got the majority of it down, let's show you how to do a few more neat tricks.

I am writing and i want there to be an indent in my writing.

Oh look! It happened!

[indent]Oh look! It happened![/indent]

You can also use successive indent tags to increase the level of indentation.

And it’s happened again!

[indent][indent]And it’s happened again![/indent][/indent]

This one will be very useful for your Character Library.

Align Right

Align Center

Align Left

[right]Align Right[/right]

[center]Align Center[/center]

[left]Align Left[/left]

• Ravenclaw
  • Gryffindor
  • Slytherin
  • Hufflepuff

• Seeker
  • Chaser
  • Beater
  • Keeper
  • Referee
  • Comentator

• Oh Look
  • Yet
  • Another
  • List!

[*]Oh Look
  • And
  • Another!
    • ZOMG!
    • I made it double!
  • Seriously tho...
  • Last List
[*]I made it double!
[*]Seriously tho...
[*]Last List

And now you know pretty much everything there is to know about coding for Virtual Hogwarts.

If there is anything you think I missed, post here to let me know with an example and we will add it.

Happy Coding!

Miss McManus & I want to thank Miss Katie, the former teacher of PHP for compiling such a wonderful resource for us to use! And Mrs Brom would like to thank Addison Toft for helping with updating this to reflect New!VH!

Edited by Mrs Brom
Updates for New New New VH

Other References to help with Coding

The List of Colors created on VHOT by Angelique Paquet

Additionally there are some differences in coding on vh and coding on VHOT (thank you Cameron Creevey and Coronas Hunter) so Marie-Claire Abienne created a great reference here!

So a great many thanks to both of them!