Jacquetta Rosewood

Killing Trees

Jacquetta Rosewood

"We need to find a way onto the top of the towers," Jacquetta said as she and Willa wandered the grounds of Hogwarts. "I want to see what everything looks like from up there." She had been trying to find a way up since she'd gotten to school but so far hadn't had any luck. "Maybe we can see some of it from the top of a tree!" She started looking around for a tall one. "Any look promising?" They had spent so much time climbing trees in Brackleberry and knew what kind to look for now.

Willa Henry

"Yeah, we need the best view to see if there are any dragons in the forest!" Willa chimed in, looking around for another way to add to their adventure. She was already looking for a tree with large, sturdy branches and a lot of good space for climbing. There were a lot of those in Brackleberry, but Willa hadn't seen many around Hogwarts that had the low starting branches they needed to begin with. 

"What about that one?" She asked, pointing to a rough looking tree a bit away. 

Jacquetta Rosewood

Jacquetta looked where Willa was pointing and nodded. "That one could work. Hogwarts needs some better trees... maybe we can plant some. They won't be grown in time for us to climb but we'd help future students." It was a thought and she filed it away for another time. Trees and climbing trees were essential to life! They hurried over to the tree in question and she began to walk around it, looking for the best place to begin climbing. "It's a weird looking tree," she commented.

Willa Henry

"Why would we help future generations?" Willa asked, shrugging as she followed Jacquetta towards the tree. It was really gnarly looking in person, and she wasn't sure that the tree was even alive. She laid her hand against one of the branches and could have sworn that it twitched under her, but it could have also been the wind. "It does. Did you see it move weirdly? I feel like it's moving in ways the wind doesn't move a tree.."

With that, Willa noticed a branch flying at her and grunted as it hit her arm and knocked her on her already sore bum (she'd been hit by a rather nasty knockback jinx and landed on a previously not sore bum). 

Jacquetta Rosewood

"Because it's a nice thing to do," she replied as she kept looking. "I didn't see anything weird. Are you okay?" She looked around the tree's trunk to make sure Willa was fine. Then she watched as a branch hit the Slytherin and she went flying back. "Are-" she started to form a sentence and was also struck by a branch. She felt it dig into her and leave cuts and scratches. She landed on her side, her left arm under her. There was a crunch. "Willa!" she called. "Are you okay?" She tried to get up but it wasn't easy. What if she broke her arm?

Willa Henry

"Yeah, I think so," Willa grumbled, as she watched her friend land rather roughly. At this point, there were branches moving quicker near them, so Willa moved her way over towards Jacquetta quickly, dodging a smaller branch that whipped itself at her cheek. "Are you okay? That look like it hurt a-LOT?" 

Her question was interrupted by another tree smacking her square in the ribs, knocking the wind out of her as she landed next to Jacquetta. "We should get back...NOW." Willa grabbed the arm Jacquetta had not landed on as she tried to shuffle her way back, staying low to the ground. Breathing hurt, but not any worse than any time she had fallen out of a tree and landed on her back. 

Jacquetta Rosewood

This tree was trying to kill them. She hadn't known that trees could do this. As Willa tried to drag her backwards, she kicked at the ground with her feet to propel them further. When they were out of reach and collapsed on the ground, she said, "WHY WOULD NO ONE TELL US? HOW IS THERE NO SIGN?" She was livid. This was integral information!

Willa Henry

"I don't know!" Willa wheezed as she laid on her back, suddenly relieved that there were no more branches hitting her. Sure, the tree was still whipping around like crazy and Willa was very aware that she was going to have to rethink her habit of climbing random trees, but they were safe at least. "Is there a way to sue in the wizard world? I know muggles sue a lot so we should talk to someone about this!" 

A few seconds passed and the ache in her ribs didn't fade so she looked at Jacquetta sadly and added, "How is your arm?"

Jacquetta Rosewood

"I don't know. We'll have to ask someone," she said while she looked at her injuries. Her arm was probably broken and she was bleeding from the cuts and scrapes. "I think it's broken," she admitted. She slowly got up and waited looked at Willa. "You don't look good either. Is that my blood or yours? We should both go to the Hospital Wing either way..." Jacquetta had hoped to avoid the place but she didn't have a choice. Did they write a letter home when a student visited? She hoped not. Her dad couldn't know.

Willa Henry

"I think I'm fine?" Willa added, looking herself over quickly noticing that there were a lot of cuts and scrapes that might bruise, but the only other major ache was the one in her chest. She didn't really want to tell Jacquetta about that though because it was probably nothing and her best friend had a more serious injury. "We should go there now. I think we're both bleeding, but it should be fine. Do you want any help?" Willa offered her hand just in case. 

They were best friends until the end, and now Willa was determined to understand what this devil tree was that had attacked them and why they hadn't known about it sooner. 

Jacquetta Rosewood

"Come off it, you're not okay. I know it hit you in the chest," she said. Jacquetta didn't want Willa lying to her. She knew the girl was doing it since it seemed like Jacquetta was worse off and she didn't want the Hufflepuff to worry but she didn't care. She wanted them to both admit they were hurt and get help. "I'm okay," she said and started off, motioning for Willa to follow. "Maybe instead of planting trees for the future we could make a giant sign for that particular tree."

Willa Henry

"I am fine!" Willa complained, the last syllable coming out more like a wheeze than she intended. Jacquetta always managed to see right through her. "It hurts to breathe a little, but I think I'm fine. Just gonna be sore," she added as she followed Jacquetta back towards the castle. She nodded along with the following statements, already thinking about how obvious they could make the sign and wondering who she could ask why there wasn't already a huge sign visible already. 

"We should put the letters in big red type, like they do with muggle construction warnings," Willa explained, one arm curled protectively over her ribs as they walked back into the castle and towards the Hospital Wing. She would definitely be writing home and asking her da why he hadn't warned her about a murderous tree yet. 

Fin.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.