Winston Hughes

You know, I'm not the little boy that I used to be

Winston Hughes

The spindly tangle of limbs otherwise known as Winston had his back leaned up against the magically provided tree. His best friends and he were hiding away from their other classmates in their secret room. His loyal dog Croissant laid content in his lap, belly up, demanding scratches. Winston absentmindedly obliged, not following his friends’ topic of conversation about what electives they all signed up for.

His cheeks were red. His mind was elsewhere. 

Mainly, Jo’s… recent developments. 

Josephine Tindall

One of the few things Jo had missed about Hogwarts was the room. The room that provided the six plus dog sanctuary from the hurricane of idiocy that raged throughout the castle. 

The conversation was mundane, but with a familiarity that left Jo feeling content. The group discussing their chosen electives, and their third year status which afforded them visits to Hogsmeade. 

"I picked everything," Jo added to the conversation, shrugging off her jacket before leaning onto her elbows, the magical grass tickling at her bare forearms. "That way I can just dump what I don't like later." A shrug, she looked to Winston who had been oddly silent for most of the conversation. The Ravenclaw had chalked it up to him being preoccupied with Croissant, but she was used to Winston being talkative. Especially when they had not seen each other for such a long period of time. 

The flush of his cheeks caught her off guard, a brow quirking as she tilted her head to the side. Her eyes catching his as she loudly and obnoxiously cleared her throat. "You right there, champ?"

Lucas Kettering

“Never better,” Lucas replied for Winston. He lazily slapped his friend’s arm. “I’ve never seen him so alert.”

So concentrated. He’d seen that look several times over the summer, mainly on that idiot Connelly’s face, whenever they passed. Lucas was not blind. He was aware that things were changing. He’d been confronted with new experiences himself, something that made him somewhat glad (and guilty for it) to be back at Hogwarts. Jo’s recent development was, simply put, a development, and Lucas didn’t like jumping to conclusions.

“Like babies seeing shapes for the first time.” Lucas dropped blades of grass on Crossaint’s belly. “There a free period for self-discovery?” He grinned from Winston and back to the group. “Or it’s gonna get real boring. I’m taking all of them too.”

Brooklyn Shea

Brooklyn was eyeing Jo's recent developments, too. Jealousy burned through her, as she thought of her own painful lack of.. anything. Other than her hair slightly darkening (a negative) and pores rising on her skin, face speckled in light acne, her body had not much changed since age 11. She knew it wasn't Jo's fault, but that didn't stop her heated frustration. She occupied herself by patting Croissant, thinking about how if she were a dog, she wouldn't have to worry about this rubbish. She hated herself for feeling jealous of her good friend, of so many other girls, too. 

She plucked a blade of grass, and squished it, hard, between her fingers, saying nothing.

Magda Trickett

Magda had been lying in the grass, attempting to stare up at the false sun in the broad blue sky for as long as possible before her eyes started to burn. She wasn’t interested in talking about electives; as far as she could tell, they would just add to their already endless classwork.

She only sat up, blinking white saucer-spots out of her eyes, when she grew curious about the increasingly veiled mumbling of her friends nearby. Winston and Brooklyn were staring fixedly at Jo, who was glowing with sunspots like some kind of sun goddess—oh right. A few seconds later, as her eyes finally adjusted, Magda finally spotted what had captivated them. “Nice.

Winston Hughes

Winston wasn’t unprepared for puberty. Between sex education classes, an awkward conversation or two with his mum over the summer, and endless television shows and movies depicting it, he knew all about people and their changes. 

But God, he was not ready. Not ready whatsoever. 

He tried to avert his eyes away from Jo but they always found their way back to her chest, like a fly drawn to a light. They were just so much bigger than they were last year… or did he simply just never notice? Winston found himself noticing a lot of things he never noticed before. Not just Jo’s boobs but every girl’s boobs. Their butts. Their faces. Their hips. The way it felt when they hugged or touched him, even.

Jo herself broke him out of his thoughts. So shocked, he knocked his head up against the tree. She was inches from his face and it took all his will power not to look… down. Lucas saved him, answering for him and even slapping the very temptation to take a peek out of his head. Did he realize? Yes. Yes he did. Winston’s cheeks blushed again at the word shapes. Ignoring it, he stumbled out a response “Sorry. I’m fine. Just a bit flustered, being back, you know?”

He thought he salvaged the situation until Magda locked eyes with him, then looked to Jo, and muttered the words ‘Nice,’ effectively throwing Winston under the bus. But he tried, once more, being the sneaky Slytherin that he was. "Yeah Magda, it is nice being back here all together again."

Josephine Tindall

In these situations Jo would usually feign cool indifference, shrug her shoulders and let whatever was said roll right off them.

It didn't matter what most people said or thought about her, because most people didn't matter to her. The people in this room (and Bitsy, who was already busy studying like they had exams approaching) did matter though. What they thought about her was important to Jo and she couldn't help but shift uncomfortably where she sat, narrowing her eyes disapprovingly at both Lucas (who really needed to keep his mouth shut) and then turned the glare to Winston. 

"Yes, it's all so overwhelming. Especially coming back and noticing your female friend has—" Jo paused for dramatic effect, lips twisting into a vindictive smirk "—what is the word? Oh yes...breasts."

Had Bitsy been present, Jo could at least of counted on her to steer to conversation back something 'proper' but she was being a model student and Jo (who couldn't help herself and had to make the situation worse) was on her own. 

With a sigh, she looked to Magda and nodded down at her chest. "Thanks, I think? Um, but you'll get 'em and you'll hate them though." 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.